DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feral Hogs on the loose in Iowa.

IMO, eHow is an unreliable source.

fh.map07ia.jpg

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/forestry/research/feral_hogs/feralhogs.html

We don't know if there was odor or not. Maybe it led to the hunters discovery.

Ack. I just hate that we have so little.

Where is the pull your hair out with frustration emoticon?

I don't know where that emoticon is but if you find it go ahead and post it twice as in once for me,lol.

I have never heard of any wild, feral hogs in this area. I've lived in black hawk county for 32 years, volunteered with black hawk county wildlife rehab and worked at the local animal shelter from age 15-22.

As for the park.. I've lived in this county my entire life, just one county away and never heard of it.
My best friends husband is an avid fisherman and he and my husband were just a few miles away from there this summer fishing.. but had no idea there was an actual fishing spot/hunting area right there. Best friends husband has lived in black hawk county for 36 years.

Feral Pigs there? Pse provide links to these revelations.

georger, most of the info available is dated. The info on Iowa DNR site was copy pasted since 2005. Feral Hogs are now in over 41 US States including Iowa. They have no predators except man, reproduce very rapidly, will eat virtuallyanything in their path, and are usually nocturnal. Hogs don't sweat & prefer marshes & wetlands for wallering. Their sense of smell is much better than K9s and can scent over 5 miles away and 20+ feet into the ground. They are very intelligent..

Feral hogs are trying to gain a foothold in
certain parts of Iowa. They use heavy cover, are
difficult to find and even more difficult to hunt.
Hunters are encouraged to watch for feral hogs
while out hunting other species and to kill them
on sight. It is legal to kill feral hogs on your own
property and on public lands where hunting is
allowed.
http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/huntingregs.pdf

http://wildpiginfo.msstate.edu/behavior-feral-pigs.html

History of Wild Pigs - related question links on right index

Look at the Gazette photos and the map - this place is NOT on Mars.
Few roads in, few roads out, farms both sides, rural civilisation, people,
the park is a known place, straight walk down from the road ... to a
fisherman or hiker this is nothing ... sand bars ... pretty place by all
accounts and the photos ... not Denali Park in Alaska! This is Ioway!
Go Hawks!

I only see one road into that part of the park ... off the deadend 270 Street.

I linked a scientific paper that states that bone scatter is directly proportionate to the length of time the body has been exposed.

As they were referring to "bodies" not "remains" in this case, it is inferred the girls were intact...which in turn, infers they had not been there long. I'm wondering if they've been there 45 days :(

http://library-resources.cqu.edu.au/...S351900103.pdf

I hope you're right; not about who did it, but about them being alive and well cared for right up until the end. I think that's about the best thing there is to hope for now (other than a quick and easy arrest and conviction.)

I hope you're right; not about who did it, but about them being alive and well cared for right up until the end. I think that's about the best thing there is to hope for now (other than a quick and easy arrest and conviction.)

I really doubt they were "well cared for" for months before being killed.

If the perp was there recently then hopefully there is tire tracks. It is very common for killers to revisit their dump site.

My prayers & heart go out to the families of Elizabeth & Lyric. Being nearby to Evansdale, I have followed their disappearance from the beginning on the news & on here.
Early on I had believed that it was connected to DM's drug issues. However, the more I thought about it, too many things didn't add up to me. Here are my thoughts: I'm not sure how often Lyric would have been in her father's presence when he was doing or making drugs with others. If I recall, I don't think she had alot of contact with him because of his problems. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also not too sure that he would be talking about his children when with the drug offenders. For someone to take her & Elizabeth for revenge because of drug tattling, I would think they would have to know her name, what she looked like, & where she lived to be able to plan this in advance. If they didn't know who her grandma was or where she lived, this seems less likeley a scenario. DM's refusal of a plea bargain may just be an unfortunate coencedence. Also since Lyric had only been going to Evansdale on a regular basis for a couple of weeks (I think), it would be hard to know their routine would stay the same.
I do think given the locations of the bodies, this is someone with extreme local knowledge of the area. Speaking to someone who knows the area, there are signs giving directions to Seven Bridges, but only on the county road. The park itself is on gravel. It is not off a major highway & you have to know the county road 1st. I think this was a crime of opportunity by a local & I'm not convinced yet that the girls were at Meyers Lake with their bikes.
I know everyone is wanting the LE to release info on the autopsies. With Evelyn Miller's case, they didn't release any info on her cause of death until Casey Fredricksen was arrested. He was giving info while in prison that only he would know about the body. They may do the same with the girls & just say it's a homicide to keep the investigation tight.
Rest in peace sweet girls. You will forever be our angels in Heaven.:rose:

The instances of feral hogs in Iowa are extremely rare. Generally, it is an occasional problem for a farmer or two in the Southern and Eastern part of the state. I have lived in Iowa for 47 years and have never heard of such a problem, though those that live on the eastern or southern border of the state may hear of a problem with feral hogs more often than someone living in the central part of the state.

We do seem to have a growing problem of cougars being spotted in the state. There have been 2 cougars spotted crossing the road together just a few miles from where I live and again 2 cougars near the river about 30 miles away from me (though for all I know, they could have been the same cougars traveling). Recently a cougar was spotted in Des Moines and later shot and killed by police. There is also the very rare and occasional occurrence of Mountain lions being spotted in Iowa, though generally near the state border. The occasions of these things happening are so very rare, that usually when someone spots one of these two creatures, it's all over the news. So I would also guess, that being the existence of wild pigs being in Iowa is so very rare if one were to be spotted in Iowa - it too would be all over the news.

I have never heard of any wild, feral hogs in this area. I've lived in black hawk county for 32 years, volunteered with black hawk county wildlife rehab and worked at the local animal shelter from age 15-22.

As for the park.. I've lived in this county my entire life, just one county away and never heard of it.
My best friends husband is an avid fisherman and he and my husband were just a few miles away from there this summer fishing.. but had no idea there was an actual fishing spot/hunting area right there. Best friends husband has lived in black hawk county for 36 years.

I'm a bit late to the discussion ... but what do pigs have to do with anything. This park has beaver, mink, racoons, great blue heron and ... I suppose deer, since I doubt the hunters are looking for racoons. There's nothing about pigs in this park. Where did the pigs come from?

I'm a bit late to the discussion ... but what do pigs have to do with anything. This park has beaver, mink, racoons, great blue heron and ... I suppose deer, since I doubt the hunters are looking for racoons. There's nothing about pigs in this park. Where did the pigs come from?

I don't know.. someone brought it up, so i threw in my $.04 lol

Just grew out of discussions about critters.

There are plenty of them it seems, but not of the hog variety, at least where our girls were found.

If I'm following correctly. :waitasec:

Just grew out of discussions about critters.

There are plenty of them it seems, but not of the hog variety, at least where our girls were found.

If I'm following correctly. :waitasec:

This is a natural wildlife park, meaning lots of wild animals (not pigs) live there undisturbed (except for hunting season). I came across a site that mentioned the area as having a wide variety of birds - potential interest to birdwatchers.

Since this is the weekend, does anyone think we will hear any news?
I think I'll listen on scanner, arrest??? hoping there is a suspect real soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahgoodnight