IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are referring to Otzi, he had been frozen from very shortly after his own death. He spent most of the intervening 5,300 years inside a glacier.

The ME was obviously able to get DNA from the remains that belonged to the girls but if the remains were only bones, it's unlikely (although not completely impossible) that if they were sexually assaulted there would be DNA present. The fact that LE hasn't held any cattle calls for swabs suggests to me that they do not have a sample they want to match.

Or that they have a narrow range of suspects making a general search unnecessary at this time.

I think what Heather said may be a reflection of her faith, rather than a literal description of Elizabeth's body.

Both of the times I listened to the interview, I thought Heather was being literal rather than metaphorical. But who knows? You may be right.

To maintain the integrity of the program, they can't be.

However, if someone tries to claim the reward at some point some form of money has to meet a human hand.

BBM that was my thinking. I mean, obviously the person would need to be contacted and given the money through some means, but Crimestoppers tipline is anonymous for just this reason. So that tipsters need not fear their relaying the information becoming public or negative repercussions for having the knowledge they are tipping about.

If you are referring to Otzi, he had been frozen from very shortly after his own death. He spent most of the intervening 5,300 years inside a glacier.

The ME was obviously able to get DNA from the remains that belonged to the girls but if the remains were only bones, it's unlikely (although not completely impossible) that if they were sexually assaulted there would be DNA present. The fact that LE hasn't held any cattle calls for swabs suggests to me that they do not have a sample they want to match.
BBM - With all due respect and not being snarky, how do we know they haven't?

I know recently there was new discussion on possibly who could be a POI. IIRC, Elizabeth had a softball game the night before the girls disappared. I have always wondered if she spoke with someone there that night. Maybe even someone who just came by from the campground. Does anyone know how close the campground is to the ball field? Maybe E even said something along the lines of oh I live near... & that person may of followed the family if they lived near enought to walk.
Does anyone know if the Collins camp especially at Black Hawk Park (i think it's called). They may have met someone there that they aren't even thinking about. I know this was all discussed before, but I've always wondered if there could be any relation especially now given the outdoor location the girls were found.

Just heard from Drew and he said per his text messages... "s__t phone service here" but he said that Heather is "out and doing well". Wonderful news!

Have they reported the cause of death yet? I have looked around and haven't found anything online. just curious if anyone has came across anything?

No cause of death has been reported. I don't think the public will ever be told officially, until the information is presented at trial.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone leaked the information to the press, for a price. Just my cynical old opinion.

Just heard from Drew and he has per his message "s__t phone service here" but he said that Heather is "out and doing well". Wonderful news!

Thanks, I've had her in my thoughts all day. It's great that you're here to keep us updated!

No cause of death has been reported. I don't think the public will ever be told officially, until the information is presented at trial.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone leaked the information to the press, for a price. Just my cynical old opinion.

BBM TY!!!

I believe this is the closest anyone has come to answering my question on page 2. TY.

Oh good, so glad Heather's procedure seems to have gone well. Thanks for updates IOWAFRIEND.

I'm hoping they are watching this guys every move. They tell the public they don't have a suspect, and everyone is cleared. Well, so far, yes. But in the background doing their police work they may have someone in mind, waiting for him to slip up in order to get as much evidence as possible so they can put this guy away for life.
I saw the disappearance/death of Caylee Anthony, those investigators on a show saying they were so frustrated because Casey Anthony was arrested too soon. They were right on the verge of getting a confession of sorts either by phone texts, voice recordings, or saying something to her friends while being listened to so they could be assured of a solid conviction. But they were being pressed for time due to the public outrage for an arrest. It was out of their hands, and they weren't allowed to take it any further, thus she was arrested.
How do we know this isn't what the police are doing at this very second? We really don't.

That may just be...

I may have already mentioned this on this board, but here goes again...

A woman was murdered and raped in her friend's home in a smallish neighborhood here in Raleigh. LE had sperm DNA from her body and on the bedsheets. They went door to door talking with the residents -- LE had said early-on that the murder/rape was "an isolated incident" -- they did not think a murderer was on the loose in the area -- on these residential visits, they answered the neighbor's questions that they could/would, and asked the men to volunteer a DNA cheek swab sample. They explained that they would use the sample against what they had, and if it did not match, they were required to destroy it. I don't know how many refusals they had, but they indeed did have one. He had 2 prior B&E convictions from several years past. They started watching him (plain clothes) and obtained a cigarette but he threw out of his car onto a parking lot in front of his apartment. It gave a positive match and they arrested him within 24 hours.

Maybe the same is going on in this situation. We can hope.

BBM - With all due respect and not being snarky, how do we know they haven't?

With one person in the know, a secret will probably be kept. With two people in the know, a secret may be kept. With three people in the know, a secret may last for quite a while before being revealed.

And so on.

If they'd had one of those massive swabfests, such as they had in the Jessica Ridgeway case, at least one of the people who knew about it would have gone to the media.

When I say cattle call, I mean 10 or 20 or more. Individuals may be swabbed and the information not get out but once you reach 10 or so, it will inevitably get into the media.

true GrainneDhu, aside from FB rumors that swirled on Ceder Valley Mugshots regarding a certain RSO being swabbed we really have no knowledge of swabbing going on.

And rumors of one RSO being swabbed does not equal a sweep even were they true.

true GrainneDhu, aside from FB rumors that swirled on Ceder Valley Mugshots regarding a certain RSO being swabbed we really have no knowledge of swabbing going on.

And rumors of one RSO being swabbed does not equal a sweep even were they true.

IF the rumours of swabbing are true, whether it's one suspect or 20, it means they have DNA to compare it to.

Which is great news.

Now, how do we confirm people have been swabbed?

:waitasec:

I dont think we will be able to confirm if swabbing has been or is being done. LE is being closed mouthed with their investigation, unless or until there is an arrest I don't see confimation as lkely.

I dont think we will be able to confirm if swabbing has been or is being done. LE is being closed mouthed with their investigation, unless or until there is an arrest I don't see confimation as lkely.

It may even be procedure to swab anyone who is interviewed in a major crime...or at least, request one.

If it isn't, maybe it should be.

:cow:

This post is in regards to "additional $20,500 offered in missing cousins case" per link on kwwl.com

My theory/opinion has been and is still that if LE, judges etc. would quit postpoing/rescheduling hearings regarding previous/pending charges related to drugs and other past issues, and imprison he/she/they/those that are found guilty of those crimes, that others would have more than likely already talked enough and/or come forward with valuable information, but are hesitant to do so for fear of the person(s) who are responsible for the death of these two girls retaliating and/or harming them or their other family members. After all...this person who killed these two innocent girls is still out and about (as far as we know) and obviously has no remorse or guilt for what he/she/they have done and probably would not hesitate to harm others. JMO

BBM that was my thinking. I mean, obviously the person would need to be contacted and given the money through some means, but Crimestoppers tipline is anonymous for just this reason. So that tipsters need not fear their relaying the information becoming public or negative repercussions for having the knowledge they are tipping about.

If you send a tip in through Crimestoppers, you get an ID code that you can use later on to call to find out what happened to your tip, and make yourself known if you choose. At least that's how it worked a couple of years ago when I sent in a tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member