IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They still took a day (or more?) to bring in the dogs, they let Tammy be at the crime scene to watch.

SBM

It wasn't a matter of "letting" AuntTB watch. It was a matter of AuntTB having been in contact with her nieces and so possibly leaving her scent on the scent articles. The two FBI dogs brought in had to have any family member who had touched either girl there at the site so that the dogs would know that it was only the girl whose scent article the dog was given, not any other human.

For whatever it is worth, there were SAR dogs brought in Saturday am; they were using water dogs on Meyers Lake and they were also using dogs to clear some crop fields. Treat this as a rumour since I didn't get it from msm, I got it from a friend whose SAR dog was called out that weekend.

I know the Blackhawk County Sheriff's Department has a trained tracking dog, so that dog may have been used Friday evening. The dogs that went out during the day on Saturday and Sunday had to be pulled pretty fast because the weather was so hot and humid, it endangered their health. They quickly switched to deploying dogs after dark.

God bless our firemen! They believe in saving every life they can:

firecat.gif

This kitten and two siblings were rescued from an apartment fire by Captain John Leahey of Corpus Christi.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/cats-rescued-by-firemen-2012-9#ixzz2InMlsKnh

Good catch. It never occurred to me. If Dan was selling/using drugs and possibly manufacturing drugs, how would it be safe for either child to be around him? We know Dillon was with Dan when Misty called him after the bikes were found. Dans' mother was at work so that means there was no supervision of Dillons' visit. Ummmmmm. I wonder why it was ok for Dillon but not for Lyric?

Dillin's FB page says he was born in 1992, so he is not a minor.

Or at the very least, who it was issued to, which can be the start of a chain.

I'm not sure what a free government phone is but I'm sure you're right, anything the government gives out comes with a paperwork trail.

In order to obtain a free phone, you have to be a participant in certain programs such as food stamps, medicaid, etc., and meet eligibility requirements. So there is definitely a paper trail.

Dillin's FB page says he was born in 1992, so he is not a minor.

Actually, a recent article in the qctimes states:

"The discovery of the bodies also has been hard on Misty Morrissey and her Lyric's brother, Dillin Morrissey, 16, who lives with Cook. Misty Morrissey remains the Waterloo Residential Facility, stemming from a 2003 methamphetamine conviction."

:what: now I'm just as confused. :blushing:

.. like they had a priority waiting ? something planned-discussed between them ? 'kids don't tell Grandma 'everything' that's going down! Grandma's can be handled, worked around ... 'and we will be back soon anyway... ???

I just think 'something' has to explain their availability and being in a place or position to being
kidnapped in the first place, whatever it is that happened ... (family, pedophile, revenge) ...
and I'm very curious something was already afoot when they came in, pour the drinks, didn't
finish the drinks or eat, and left ... in haste? Did they love bike riding and exploring and
freedom THAT much to forgo finishing the drinks etc ... and just 'had to' leave ? I think the
poster makes a valid point.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1207/17/ijvm.01.html

I can't seem to find the video that corresponds with this transcript but an "Unidentified Male" (according to the transcript) had this to say:

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We do know that there is a way through a wooded area that you can conceivably get to a road at the other end of a neighborhood. You really have to know this neighborhood inside-out to be able to put that together. And even more so to know that these two girls might be there at that time.

I am trying to find the video for this transcript to see who pointed this out, but have yet to find it.

Good catch. It never occurred to me. If Dan was selling/using drugs and possibly manufacturing drugs, how would it be safe for either child to be around him? We know Dillon was with Dan when Misty called him after the bikes were found. Dans' mother was at work so that means there was no supervision of Dillons' visit. Ummmmmm. I wonder why it was ok for Dillon but not for Lyric?

From personal experience, my parents divorced when I was 14. My father actually won custody of my sister and I. My sister was only 7 and the courts enforced the ruling and she had to live with my father. Being that I was 14, the courts said they would not force me to live with my father and allowed me to live with my mother. Not sure how that works in Iowa or if laws have changed from 30 years ago, but that was just my personal experience.

"The discovery of the bodies also has been hard on Misty Morrissey and her Lyric's brother, Dillin Morrissey, 16, who lives with Cook. Misty Morrissey remains the Waterloo Residential Facility, stemming from a 2003 methamphetamine conviction."

Well, he probably lied to FB in order to set up an account, so 16 is probably right. Perhaps he is considered old enough to spend time with Dan if he wants to, I don't know what kind of laws govern that in Iowa.

SBM

It wasn't a matter of "letting" AuntTB watch. It was a matter of AuntTB having been in contact with her nieces and so possibly leaving her scent on the scent articles. The two FBI dogs brought in had to have any family member who had touched either girl there at the site so that the dogs would know that it was only the girl whose scent article the dog was given, not any other human.

For whatever it is worth, there were SAR dogs brought in Saturday am; they were using water dogs on Meyers Lake and they were also using dogs to clear some crop fields. Treat this as a rumour since I didn't get it from msm, I got it from a friend whose SAR dog was called out that weekend.

I know the Blackhawk County Sheriff's Department has a trained tracking dog, so that dog may have been used Friday evening. The dogs that went out during the day on Saturday and Sunday had to be pulled pretty fast because the weather was so hot and humid, it endangered their health. They quickly switched to deploying dogs after dark.

So...using your expertise, is it a fair assumption that anyone who LE walked by the dogs to "eliminate" their scent from the girls scent trail at the lake would be "elimintated" as a "suspect" (only word I can think of) as well?:waitasec:

I hope I'm asking that right. :blushing:

Also,

Wouldn't it make sense (as we know family is typically first to be investigated in missing child cases) to take each one of the family members scents and have the dogs track for their scent as well around the water/Maiden Lane area?

None of the family members should have had scents that went towards the water or to Maiden Lane area PRIOR to the bikes being found.

I could be wrong on my dates, but I don't believe the dogs were brought in until well after we heard Tammy and crew say they had "done their own investigation" and had traipsed all over those woods. Also, Dan reportedly had brought his quad in with Dillon and was searching back there as well.

Wouldn't LE have KNOWN not to let family go back there until AFTER the dogs had been sent to check for scents of the family in the area after the bikes were found there?

I hope I'm making sense in what I'm asking.

Depending on when he made his FB page, he may have just put a birthday in there which would allow him to create the page. TONS of kids put fake birthdays in there due to the minimum age requirement to obtain a FB page.

Well, he probably lied to FB in order to set up an account, so 16 is probably right. Perhaps he is considered old enough to spend time with Dan if he wants to, I don't know what kind of laws govern that in Iowa.

I totally agree! But who knows? I've been wrong a lot. :blushing:

So...using your expertise, is it a fair assumption that anyone who LE walked by the dogs to "eliminate" their scent from the girls scent trail at the lake would be "elimintated" as a "suspect" (only word I can think of) as well?:waitasec:

Also,

Wouldn't it make sense (as we know family is typically first to be investigated in missing child cases) to take each one of the family members scents and have the dogs track for their scent as well around the water/Maiden Lane area?

None of the family members should have had scents that went towards the water or to Maiden Lane area PRIOR to the bikes being found.

I could be wrong on my dates, but I don't believe the dogs were brought in until well after we heard Tammy and crew say they had "done their own investigation" and had traipsed all over those woods. Also, Dan reportedly had brought his quad in with Dillon and was searching back there as well.

Wouldn't LE have KNOWN not to let family go back there until AFTER the dogs had been sent to check for scents of the family in the area after the bikes were found there?

Thank you!!! This is exactly the point I was trying to make before I accidentally offended everyone by criticizing small town shoddy police work and insulting volunteer firemen!!

The scene was contaminated and compromised. Period.

This case is so baffling. Just when I think it could be this person....then I think it's someone else. :waitasec: Then I look back to who the police accused (lying to get a confession or not) and I am confident the LE have their man.
But then I asked a close friend of ours what he has heard from any of his friends that are policemen in Evansdale. (He has been living in Evansdale his whole life, was a jock in High School, grew up with and is neighbors with the policemen in Evansdale) He told me he asked (can't name the officer :silenced: ) and he told him, "We have lots and lots of evidence, but we still don't know who did it." :( (For posting purposes, I will say MOO, or this is rumor?)

So it can be anybody out there. Unless that is what the police are supposed to say when asked. I'll say it again, this case is baffling!!! :banghead:

Do any of you know what kind of training a Volunteer Firfighter goes through? Most if not all in this state are CERT Qualified which mean Community Emergency Response Team Qualified. My son joined the Volunteer Fire Department when he was 16 but was not considered a Volunteer Firefighter until he was completely training and qualified which took a couple of years of extensive training and then he had to be certified. He is a certified Firefighter I & II for the state of SD. My son also took a full years course as EMT and was certified nationally as an EMT at the age of 17. My son was involved in the Firefighter's Explore Program since he was 14 and well as Law Enforcement Explores and Deputy Sheriff Explores since he was 14. Today my son is a Deputy Sheriff/Volunteer Firefighter/EMT and I think he would be extremely offended to hear that some wouldn't consider him a professional. As a Volunteer Firefighter there's a lot a classroom training and on the job training as well as certifications. And for those who don't think they are trained in search and rescue think again. And to boot my brother was Division Chief for the Fire Department here before he retired and he'd tell you our Volunteer Firefighters are well trained and true professionals.
BBM

Just jumping off your post, Snowbunny.

Remember the 2 Volunteer Firefighters that were recently shot in Webster, NY? One was a Police Lieutenant and the other a Police Dispatcher. :candle:

I'm just saying -- maybe it is very different in rural areas. I admittedly have never lived in one. I have lived in 2 big cities my entire life - Cleveland for 19 years and LA for 19 years. And in both these places, fire fighters would never be called to aid in looking for missing children. I called my dad (a career firefighter) to verify this. He said the only time firefighters would assist is if the children went missing in a wilderness area (like they were hiking in the mountains around LA & got lost). But if there is any suspicion of abduction - the firefighters would never assist. The police immediately go into action, put up the choppers, seal the area, bring out the dogs, etc.

It they use the same methods there, it proves my point - They had NO idea this was an abduction at first. The family was pleading with them to call it one and they refused.

If they dont use the same method there, and even if it is considered appropriate and they have the world's best trained volunteer fire fighters -- They still took a day (or more?) to bring in the dogs, they let Tammy be at the crime scene to watch. They did not seal off the whole lake area. We have lots of footage of people at the lake giving interviews and watching while it was drained. They didn't declare it an abduction for a FREAKING WEEK! To me, those are huge errors that could have interfered with the investigation and with solving the crime.
It's important to remember that Iowa is not LA or even Cleveland. I have no numbers to back this up, but I would guess that all the sworn LE officers in Black Hawk County, at the city and county levels, would not be enough to adequately staff a good sized LAPD division. Firefighters, professional or volunteer, reserve sheriff's deputies, volunteers from the community, everyone is going to need to take a hand if the land that needs to be searched is going to get searched.

Also,

FBI dogs were used for two days. On Monday, July 16 the dogs indicated that the girls may be in the lake. Monday, lake draining began. The area where the bikes were found was a crime scene while police searched the area and then it was most likely released. At that time, anyone, including family, could be in the area.

"Authorities searching for two young cousins drained an Iowa lake Tuesday after FBI dogs detected the girls' scents near where their bicycles were found four days earlier, heightening suspicion from family members that they might have been abducted.

FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said the reaction from the dogs Monday night indicated a "strong possibility" the girls had been at the lake, ..."

"Monday - Authorities begin draining Meyers Lake and stopping residents in Evansdale. Meanwhile, residents post missing flyers around Evansdale and surrounding towns."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/dogs-detect-scents-missing-cousins_n_1681325.html

"In the Evansdale case, Breault said the dogs had indicated the girls’ scent was in the area near Meyers Lake.

“The scent did lead to the water, which is also where their bikes were found,” she said."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_e795f002-d1ad-11e1-b983-001a4bcf887a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV