IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #29

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the new timeline information that police released in September (posted upthread) and the statement from the lawn watering man, I think that the girls did cycle to the lake area. Mr Carpenter, on Lake Avenue, said that Elizabeth and friends regularly cycled to the end of his road (bordering Arbutus) turned around and came back ... went home. He said that he recognized Elizabeth as a friendly, talkative girl cycling past his house (while he was watering the lawn) on July 13 shortly after noon. It sounds like Elizabeth and Lyric may have ridden to the South end of Lake Avenue - which is along Arbutus right near Maiden Lane, and vanished around 1:00-1:15 PM.

The next sighting of their bikes, with the girls missing, seems to be at 2:00 PM where the bikes are at the gate and children were no where to be seen.

Lake Avenue it is. 45 minutes to an hour. . . no sightings. . . gone. He could have been in the same area the day before. Did anyone see anything suspicious the day or week prior to Friday, July the 13th? This guy may not have a boss that he's accountable to.

That was an excellent link from the Jessica Ridgeway thread. . . alas, my computer crashed and I haven't searched for it again. I think he's attracted to boys too. I agree about the entire area of Bremer County being watchful too and beyond. The park that Misty was taking Lyric to and teaching her to swim, worries me.

I think Nursebeme found it and reposted it last time. I know that when I first read the article, I had it backwards, where I thought that predators left their bodies closer and closer to home, but I think the point of the article was that the predator feels more comfortable farther and farther away from home in terms of hunting grounds.

That was an excellent link from the Jessica Ridgeway thread. . . alas, my computer crashed and I haven't searched for it again. I think he's attracted to boys too. I agree about the entire area of Bremer County being watchful too and beyond. The park that Misty was taking Lyric to and teaching her to swim, worries me.

BBM

George Wyeth Park is where they went swimming, and I've wondered if that might be where Lyric caught someone's attention.

Could someone please show me a map of where they were found? May they RIP. thanks. Also where bikes were found?

Bodies

sevencrimescenetape.jpg

The children were found at the top red dot and their bikes were found at the bottom red dot. Elizabeth's family lives at the other red dot.

evansdaleperplocation-1.jpg

Bodies

sevencrimescenetape.jpg

The children were found at the top red dot and their bikes were found at the bottom red dot. Elizabeth's family lives at the other red dot.

evansdaleperplocation-1.jpg

I watched this case the first few weeks so I wanna take another look ..so thank you.

securedownload.jpg

At the gate where the bikes were found looking east down the trail. August 25 2012.

securedownload.jpg

Is this the one you want Otto? It's from the gate where bikes were found looking across the lake parking lot on the left. August, 25th 2012.

This is the bigger picture:

EvansdaleRoute_TrailCyclistGirls.jpg

One route that was discussed

Cook_Collins_complete_possibilities.jpg

Exploring possible children routes ... blue = nature trail/cyclist on trail between Gilbert and Lafayette, red & green = other possible routes

evandalestreetshome_trail.jpg

Another perspective

evandalestreets.jpg

This map is from September, when new information was released about the chidlren's timeline

Cook_Collins_timeline3.jpg

Looking at McCoy as an exit route after abducting the children ... most likely, given where they were found ... at the time I made the map I wasn't sure of which direction the perp was travelling, so the road should be corrected to go straight North from McCoy.

Cook_Collins_exit_routes2a.jpg

Look how many times the girls and the bike rider cross paths.

BBM

George Wyeth Park is where they went swimming, and I've wondered if that might be where Lyric caught someone's attention.

I'm of the opinion that if Lyric was the target, there were ample opportunities for Lyric to be targeted with her grandmother/guardian near home or on her way to school. This happened at Elizabeth's house, and Meyers Lake is where she reportedly regularly cycled.

If I had to speculate on the possibility that only one of the children was targeted, I would assume that it was Elizabeth.

I think both girls were targeted, because they might have always been seen together on their many bike rides together.

Human prey ... that's what I'm thinking. Long, hot days make it seem easier.

I agree that the entire area of Bremer County and beyond should be wary until this is solved ... there was a link in the Jessica Ridgeway thread about whether predators tend to hunt closer, or further away, to/from home over time, . Maybe someone recalls the link ... I think stats. showed that predators hunt further away from home as they build confidence.

He could be someone that went hunting in the 7 Bridges Park area as a child, partied on Maiden Lane in high school, assaulted boys in the early 80s, tried to stop, went to 7 Bridges Park as a young adult possibly with family or friends for activities, may even have stopped being a predator of random children for even a couple of decades (see BTK) ... could be in his early 50s, still hunts in 7 Bridges Park, still lives in Evansdale.

If it is someone 'in the area' (vs out of State) then as time goes on maybe
something will happen, traffic stop, wrong turn, traffic light infraction ... or
get caught in another abduction!

Based on the new timeline information that police released in September (posted upthread) and the statement from the lawn watering man, I think that the girls did cycle to the lake area. Mr Carpenter, on Lake Avenue, said that Elizabeth and friends regularly cycled to the end of his road (bordering Arbutus) turned around and came back ... went home. He said that he recognized Elizabeth as a friendly, talkative girl cycling past his house (while he was watering the lawn) on July 13 shortly after noon. It sounds like Elizabeth and Lyric may have ridden to the South end of Lake Avenue - which is along Arbutus right near Maiden Lane, and vanished around 1:00-1:15 PM.

The next sighting of their bikes, with the girls missing, seems to be at 2:00 PM where the bikes are at the gate and children were no where to be seen.

We have assumed the girls were together when snatched. What if one,
then tracked down the other ?

There was plenty of cctv footage that LE have gone through, from all over town.

The problem was (is) that they didn't know what to look for.

This seems to circle back to a lack of information coming from the townsfolk despite many requests.

Dated Missing Iowa girls' abductor likely on video, investigator says
4:13 PM, Sep 6, 2012

Officials open e-mail account to solicit tips about missing Evansdale girls
Authorities leading the search for two missing Iowa cousins believe those involved in the abduction used a vehicle that likely was recorded on surveillance camera.
However, officials say they need more information from the public about what to look for in the hours of surveillance footage they have collected.
Cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, and Elizabeth Collins, now 9, went missing from the northeastern Iowa town of Evansdale on July 13.
They were last seen by their grandmother riding their bicycles at about 12:15 p.m. Their bikes were found later that afternoon on a recreational trail at nearby Meyers Lake.
In the eight weeks since the girls disappeared, investigators say they’ve found few clues that may lead to Lyric and Elizabeth’s whereabouts.
“It is almost certain that the person or persons involved in this abduction used a vehicle to arrive and depart from the area, and it is believed that surveillance video is likely to have recorded that vehicle,” Charis Paulson, assistant director of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation wrote in an email to law enforcement officials and state employees.
“Regardless of whether the person(s) responsible for taking Elizabeth and Lyric reside, work, or have acquaintances in the area, or possibly came to the area to commit a crime, it is virtually impossible for any person to live, travel, or exist in a vacuum,” Paulson wrote. “Someone knows something that might be valuable to law enforcement.”

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...sey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage&nclick_check=1

This makes me wonder...if they have the girls on cctv on Brovan at 12.15, then why do they not appear on any other cctv footage?

Of course we don't know for certain that they don't appear, but I am fairly sure LE would have said "last seen at x on x" if they had.

:confused:

Maybe that is where the mystery 12:23 time came from?

I'll throw another ringer in here...why did LE want to speak with the guy in the white van that came forward? I have never really gotten an answer about the white van and what significance that has played in all of this so if anyone has the answer to that question I thank you in advance.

BBM

There are so many distracting circumstances (connections?) in this case. It's a small world, I guess.

Maybe that is where the mystery 12:23 time came from?

Who knows but I doubt it.

If they were seen at that time on Brovan, why didn't they go home when grandma called? She was annoyed enough to start physically looking by 12.30.

Was it grandma who saw them at 12.23? She originally said 11.30 then changed it to 12.15, then back again.

Maybe she meant 12.30 all along.

In which case the two bikes TG saw are either the girls bikes, someone elses bikes completely there by coincidence (which I don't believe for a second) or actual staged decoy bikes and the girls never even got to the lake in the first place.

It all depends on whether or not you include the FB gossip re. supermarket workers...:dunno:

He has to get away with the girls! Almost requires a vehicle. The 'get-a-way'
could be a story in itself.

Another theory, the perp may live very close to Maiden Lane and knew who was home in the neighborhood (around him) that day and possibly lured the kids by telling them their parent had come to pick them up and to never mind their bikes, that they could get them later. IMO

BBM

I agree. It sounded like Misty and Lyric frequented George Wyeth for several weeks. Who's to say this guy did not strike up a conversation with Misty and Lyric? Misty may have sunbathed at some point leaving Lyric and this person to talk. He may have gotten a lot of information from Lyric. He could have asked her about her friends. She could have told him about Elizabeth and how she spent a lot of time with Elizabeth. He could have asked what did they like to do? Lyric could have said "we like to ride our bikes a lot." Oh really, and where do you guys ride? Just a thought. If the perp was a stalker, it could have started at George Wyeth. I don't think we can rule it out. Thank you Marilynilpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyLoo313