IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In less than 90 days from the abduction/murder of Mickey Shunick 05/2012-LA. The stranger sexual predator was arrested, convicted, and sentenced to LWOP in Angola State Prison, due to LPD releasing the VOI caught on security camera to the publc via ms media.. When will they learn? The American public is a very valuable investigative resource to squander..

If the VOI being released by investigators in L & L's abduction is involved in their abduction. It would likely have been sold, traded, or destroyed after almost a year, imo..

http://www.katc.com/news/arrest-made-in-mickey-shunick-case/#_

This is the release from the Lafayette LA Police Chief Jim Craft in regards to an arrest made in Mickey Shunick Case:

The Lafayette Police Department would like to extend its appreciation to the Shunick Family, all of the law enforcement agencies involved in this investigation, countless volunteers, private business entities, and the public that have assisted in the search and continue to be there as this investigation remains ongoing. I must caution all of you that although an arrest has been made in this case, much work remains to be done.
Working with our Federal, State and local partners, the Lafayette Police Department has arrested Brandon Scott Lavergne and charged him with 1st Degree Murder and Aggravated Kidnapping. Lavergne is believed to be responsible for the disappearance of Michaela "Mickey" Shunick

LE need to get these individuals to agree on a photo and get that out to the public.
I have an image in my mind, but others may think differently.
If it is in fact an older model of a chevy suburban or gmc, there are not that many of them around, especially in the north due to harsh winters.
Or was it a Ford Bronco OJ style suv??[/QUOTE

I don't believe that this tip recently came to light after scouring old notes....

Remember when they targeted a "suspect" on video cam at a gas station, pretty early on in the investigation, and he was driving a white work van? It was immediately released to KWWL and media outlets and he was quickly located and cleared. I think that they have been on to this White Van tip for a lot longer than they're letting on. IMO.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19174082/...hite-astro-van-in-missing-girls-investigation

I am sorry, this is JMO, but I now have officially lost all faith in the local LE.

There is no reason we are just now hearing about this suspicious SUV nearly one full year after the abduction, because someone hadn't gotten round to wading through all the tips and reports. I call total BS

and further, this gives me even MORE reason to disbelieve that all "area" RSOs were checked out and cleared.

CMF just popped right back into my cast of possible suspects right along with MJK. I want to know what vehicles MJK had access to in July of 2012. I also want to know the same of RSO CMF.

and you know what, I bet anyone of us would have VOLUNTEERED a week of our time to read through reports from people to put two and two together!

I'm speechless.

I think you raise a very valid point.

Should there be a formal network of "helpers" who can help with these cases?

A panel of certified people who have the formal background/credentials
who would be willing to help LE weed through some of the mundane work
of sorting through witness reports and the like, who report to and work
with a case manager? Who pass an eligibility test and swear an oath of
non partisanship?

There are all kinds of people who would qualify for such work - retired and
otherwise.

It might help relieve stress and perform a serious function, on already
overburden law enforcement ... especially for case managers. I could see
this being employed at the State and local levels.

I am sure there would be Legislative support for something like this. I
wonder what law enforcement's response would be to an idea of this kind?

:seeya:

I am sorry, this is JMO, but I now have officially lost all faith in the local LE.

There is no reason we are just now hearing about this suspicious SUV nearly one full year after the abduction, because someone hadn't gotten round to wading through all the tips and reports. I call total BS

and further, this gives me even MORE reason to disbelieve that all "area" RSOs were checked out and cleared.

CMF just popped right back into my cast of possible suspects right along with MJK. I want to know what vehicles MJK had access to in July of 2012. I also want to know the same of RSO CMF.

We cant give up the ship! Thanks! Retrench, ... its too important. Every person matters
including you. I hope this helps. I sure understand your deep frustration. God bless!

Am I the only one who remembers the "white van"?

Here's what I posted back in August 2012 = very unpopular it was too -

I believe they were captured either right at or very near the lake. By a white van.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #18

LE have known all along about the white van. It's why the other white van driver was questioned.

Also that link contains my theory which hasn't altered one inch since August 2012. If anyone's interested this time, that is....

:D

:cow:

"Unbelievable"..
<sniped & BBM>

http://www.kwwl.com/story/22671327/2013/06/24/evansdale

DCI searching for white SUV in connection with Lyric, Elizabeth

Posted: Jun 24, 2013 1:02 PM EDT
Authorities on Monday morning said they have three separate witnesses who say they saw a white, older-model, full-size SUV-type vehicle -- similar to a Chevy Suburban or a Ford Bronco -- parked on Arbutus Avenue on July 13.

Investigators want to speak with the person or persons in the vehicle or anyone who has frequented the Meyers Lake area in a similar vehicle.

The person or persons in the vehicle should not be considered a suspect or person of interest at this time, but may have information about the case, officials say.

Arbutus Avenue meets up with the bike trail near Meyers Lake, where Lyric and Elizabeth's bikes were found.

Two of the witnesses say they saw the white SUV parked between these two bike trail signs.

The other witness told police they saw the vehicle parked near the woods on the east side of the lake -- only a few hundred feet from where the bikes were found.

All of three of these individuals say they saw this SUV between the times of 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on July 13, 2012.

Authorities hope this may jog people's memory and they may get more information with this tip now out in the public.

"There (are) just a lot of reports, a lot of information to read through," said Mike Roehrkasse with the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation. "Now that there's a little bit of a lull, we are able to start pouring through those reports and make those connections."

"I think, and I hope, that this is kind of the beginning," he added.

I just went back thru all the case photos and some of the early videos. I did not see an older boxy white suv in any of the backgrounds glancing through...
please locals, anyone with photos of events that took place around that time, please go back to your photos and videos and look again.
Where is Cinder? What vehicles did she and others that walked and biked these areas recall last summer?
Wish they would have taken photos of all the parking lots at these events, the perp was probably at some of them.
Most photos and videos are of the lake, the families and LE...need photos of the reverse!!

It appears with the suspended DCI officer who supervised the girls case, we now have new eyes looking over everything. Good. Not that the officer did anything wrong, it's just good to have others look at what facts they do have.

Guess that means they didn't pick up this vehicle on the camera footage they had?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/vi...ecial-agent-involved-Evansdale-case-suspended

sounds to me like some individuals(s) were not doing their jobs and some new individual(s) are discovering the obvious.

They haven't read through all the reports and now they have time to do that? Is he talking about new info or the old?

Hey guys my pc gets out of the shop tomorrow. I don't. Think klunder is involved

sounds to me like some individuals(s) were not doing their jobs and some new individual(s) are discovering the obvious.

This investigation involves 3 separate LE agencies.

There is no way that one guy is responsible for any stuff ups. It's multi departmental, they all share the blame.

Mind you the guy was suspended for "personnel reasons", it could be something as small as yelling at a cleaner.

He's been promoted and praised several times, a small mistake at work does not necessarily translate into total incompetence.

:cow:

Back when there was a rash of white van sightings and the one guy at Casey's had a bolo on him, they were able to check DMV records for white Astro Vans in Linn Co. Here's the msm report about it. They knew how many were registered. (only they forgot that Safari Vans looked just the same).

I'm sure they have checked on Suburbans & Bronco's? Shouldn't be too many to search through? Better yet, I hope the LE's phones are buzzing today.

Authorities said the recent events have fueled perceptions that white vans are the vehicles of choice for child predators. Police said 314 white Chevrolet Astro vans between the years of 1992 and 1997 are registered in Linn County.

http://thegazette.com/2012/08/02/cedar-rapids-police-fielding-several-white-van-tips/

Daniel Morrissey has pleaded to charges he continued to manufacture and sell meth after his daughter was abducted and found dead.

snip

On Monday, Morrissey entered a plea agreement that would limit his prison time to 45 years with a 15 year minimum or a possible suspended sentence with probation. He entered guilty pleas to four of the charges and Alford pleas &#8212; not admitting guilt but contending he would likely be found guilty of the case went to trial &#8212; to two charges.

snip

Sentencing on the drug charges will be at a later date, and the agreement doesn&#8217;t bar prosecutors from seeking to run the prison time consecutive with an earlier collection of drug charges that are still pending sentencing.

Those charges stem from incidents in October and December 2011, before the disappearance. With those, he faces up to 235 years with a 57-year mandatory minimum or possible probation.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_99ea3390-dd1e-11e2-83a7-001a4bcf887a.html

BBM

Huh? On the current charges he faces 45 years with a 15 year minimum or a possible suspended sentence with probation. On the older charges he faces up to 235 years and has to serve the mandatory minimum of 57 years, or possible probation? Does that make sense to anyone? Does this mean he could walk away and serve no prison time?

They haven't read through all the reports and now they have time to do that? Is he talking about new info or the old?

Due to the volume of tips and methods to prioritize them in high profile missing/murdered persons cases. It is not uncommon for critical tips to be overlooked. In the case of the white SUV tips in L & L's case. Imo, it was due to the close to the vest antiquated silence investigative strategy used...

From a case where Billboards were first used 3 decades ago by LE in a missing person's case. Yet, the tip received due to the billboard awareness was disregarded by investigators;

http://www.pulitzer.org/archives/7892

1998 — Feature Writing

Angels and Demons
Sunset - Chapter 1
By: Thomas French

Sunset

One year had gone by since the murders, and then another, and now the investigators were deep into a third. They were working day and night, working weekends, putting off vacations, losing weight, gaining weight, growing pale and pasty and haggard, waking at 3 a.m. with a jolt and scratching notes on pads beside their beds. Their sergeant did not know if they would ever find the answer. As far as he was concerned, the case was not even in their hands.

Ultimately, he believed, it was up to God whether they made an arrest.

Daniel Morrissey has pleaded to charges he continued to manufacture and sell meth after his daughter was abducted and found dead.

snip

On Monday, Morrissey entered a plea agreement that would limit his prison time to 45 years with a 15 year minimum or a possible suspended sentence with probation. He entered guilty pleas to four of the charges and Alford pleas — not admitting guilt but contending he would likely be found guilty of the case went to trial — to two charges.

snip

Sentencing on the drug charges will be at a later date, and the agreement doesn’t bar prosecutors from seeking to run the prison time consecutive with an earlier collection of drug charges that are still pending sentencing.

Those charges stem from incidents in October and December 2011, before the disappearance. With those, he faces up to 235 years with a 57-year mandatory minimum or possible probation.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_99ea3390-dd1e-11e2-83a7-001a4bcf887a.html

BBM

Huh? He faces up to 235 years and has to serve the mandatory minimum of 57 years, or possible probation? Does that make sense to anyone?

No! It absolutely does not make sense. I logged in here hoping someone else had successfully deciphered it. Were it not for this additionally confounding use of the conjunction, "or", I would be inclined to chalk it up to sloppy grammar:

"On Monday, Morrissey entered a plea agreement that would limit his prison time to 45 years with a 15 year minimum or a possible suspended sentence with probation. He entered guilty pleas to four of the charges and Alford pleas — not admitting guilt but contending he would likely be found guilty of the case went to trial — to two charges."

BBM

I guess we cannot change it, so I will just hope the phones are ringing with recollections of a white SUV.

But how frustrating. It happens a lot more than we admit, the ineptitude.
Budget cuts, personnel shortages, whatever... this seems like an important tip to wait 11 months to let out of the bag.

Anyways,
Case Archive, updated:
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cr...6&page=1&_suid=137211436266204279371308698352

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyLoo313