IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heather has a life threatening heart condition. I don't think she can afford to feel everything. It would probably kill her, and she has her other kids to think about. It's easy to judge how other people cope, but auto pilot, denial, shutting down, freezing up, numbing out, etc are pretty common responses to trauma and loss.

very well put! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORAY! :scared::scared::scared::scared:

Geez! Is it just me or does Black Hawk county have more than the normal amount of dead bodies turn up????

It sure seems like it, doesn't it?? A body floating in a pond the other day, and now this. My son drive by just after 3:00 - there were just cops there then - and when I came home at 5:00 they were just getting done, ambulance had just left. Then I get a Courier breaking news text.....

I've been scanning the streets of Evansdale using google maps and have found a vehicle parked in a driveway that closely matches the one I posted.

The vehicle is parked on a street with Meyers Lake in the background. The date on the photo is August 2012.

I can see roof racks and a trailer hitch. In the photo, the windows on the back of the vehicle are very dark. The windows have marks on them, as though someone ran their finger down the window and there are also dots, as though someone may have tapped on the window.

Maybe, my mind is working overtime!!!

imo

RoseofSharon, do the same thing you did on google maps for Dayton IA and see if that same type of vehicle was parked in MK's driveway or any of the areas where he worked. I didn't realize that the Satellite Images were that current for that area. One might just see what kind of vehicle MK was driving back then. Thank you so much for doing this.

Maybe you're right. I know everyone is different...and this is the only case I've followed on Websleuths so I am not familiar with what "typical" grieving and total devastation looks like so please forgive me. :blushing:

When I think total devastation, I think desperation, anger, tears, and even frustration...with a passion. I have yet to see my definition of total devastation with any of the family members...and it just makes me so sad :(

Again, I can't (thank GOD) speak on behalf of how people ordinarily act in total devastation...but I would expect least ONE strong emotion to surface...and I just don't see it during their interviews.

:(

Like you, I have been lucky in my life never to have gone through such a thing. I do have a vivid imagination, though and over the years I've gotten pretty good at predicting my own reactions (I'm about 5 minutes younger than dirt, so I've had a lot of study time).

I do know that I hate to cry in public. To the point that I sometimes seem distant from my husband because I know that if I look at him or if he so much as touches my hand, I'll burst out crying. We've been together for 19 years and we're closer and more in love than I ever dreamed I could be with another human being... but sometimes, his unconditional love and support for me can make me cry at times when I would rather show the world a dignified and composed face.

If I were in Drew and Heather's position, one thing I would be clinging to would be "whoever did this, I am not going to give him the satisfaction of seeing me cry or carry on hysterically." I'd want to be at my most coldly rational in the hope that it would strike terror in his heart. I'd want to be dignified so that he couldn't rejoice in my pain. I would want people to know how special my daughter was and how much she is missed but not in such a way that I would feel like a travelling freak show.

I have no way of knowing if these sorts of thoughts are factors for Drew and Heather. All I really know is that they have gone through a terrible experience and I don't have enough information about either one of them to truly understand the snippets of behaviour I've seen in the media.

I'm surprised they are still together. Drew looks as if he can't put enough space between Heather and he! :confused: I would say they may be together physically, but not emotionally. I've always had that impression too. It's sad. Dan and Misty seemed more of a couple than Drew and Heather at first. . . until Aunt Tammy said they were getting divorced. Just my opinion... :moo:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...mfort-Elizabeth-Collins-family?nclick_check=1

Isn't that an odd interview!

Like you, I have been lucky in my life never to have gone through such a thing. I do have a vivid imagination, though and over the years I've gotten pretty good at predicting my own reactions (I'm about 5 minutes younger than dirt, so I've had a lot of study time).

I do know that I hate to cry in public. To the point that I sometimes seem distant from my husband because I know that if I look at him or if he so much as touches my hand, I'll burst out crying. We've been together for 19 years and we're closer and more in love than I ever dreamed I could be with another human being... but sometimes, his unconditional love and support for me can make me cry at times when I would rather show the world a dignified and composed face.

If I were in Drew and Heather's position, one thing I would be clinging to would be "whoever did this, I am not going to give him the satisfaction of seeing me cry or carry on hysterically." I'd want to be at my most coldly rational in the hope that it would strike terror in his heart. I'd want to be dignified so that he couldn't rejoice in my pain. I would want people to know how special my daughter was and how much she is missed but not in such a way that I would feel like a travelling freak show.

I have no way of knowing if these sorts of thoughts are factors for Drew and Heather. All I really know is that they have gone through a terrible experience and I don't have enough information about either one of them to truly understand the snippets of behaviour I've seen in the media.

Wow, you put into words a lot of what I could not!! And I agree 100% also about avoiding eye contact. That would do me in, too, to look into my husband's eyes at a time like that. Especially if he was the least but teary-eyed!!

It sure seems like it, doesn't it?? A body floating in a pond the other day, and now this. My son drive by just after 3:00 - there were just cops there then - and when I came home at 5:00 they were just getting done, ambulance had just left. Then I get a Courier breaking news text.....

Sorry to quote myself... I forgot about the recent drowning at George Wyth lake, and the construction accident where the woman died in the trench. It's been a busy summer.

I see that they released the name of the deceased. And there was still a police car there this morning. I wonder if it was foul play, or a suicide.

O/T sorry!

Although article is 10 years old, interesting info, imo...

<sniped BM>
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Missing_children.aspx

Missing Children
International Encyclopedia of Marriage and Family | 2003

Nonfamily Abductions
Although nonfamily abductions are relatively rare, they are the worst fear of most relatives of children. Long-term nonfamily abductions are typically motivated by sexual gratification, retribution, financial gain, desire to kill, and maternal desire. Sexually motivated abductions represent the most common type of nonfamily abduction and pose the highest risk of victim mortality

Elementary and middle-school children (6&#8211;14 years) constitute the fourth category. Victimization rates triple for this age, and school-age females are at least three times more likely than males to be abducted and murdered. Sex is the major reason for abduction, usually by a male perpetrator with a history of sexual misconduct, violence, and substance abuse. The abductor may be an acquaintance or a stranger but rarely a family member.
With middle-school children, the abductors are mostly likely to be strangers. Schoolyard access, physical maturity, and vulnerability help facilitate these abductions by strangers.

Unlike familial abductions, the bodies of these children are usually found unconcealed or only slightly covered.

RoseofSharon, do the same thing you did on google maps for Dayton IA and see if that same type of vehicle was parked in MK's driveway or any of the areas where he worked. I didn't realize that the Satellite Images were that current for that area. One might just see what kind of vehicle MK was driving back then. Thank you so much for doing this.

Snowbunny, the image I found for the vehicle was taken August 2012, according to google, but imo, during that time, news of that vehicle description hadn't been released, so whomever was driving that vehicle wouldn't have been too concerned about trying to hide it. The picture was probably taken just a few weeks after L and E went missing.

I will see what I can find in Dayton, IA.

imo

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...w-purpose-no-comfort-Elizabeth-Collins-family

Ok...at the 1:20-21 mark - Heather's look toward the camera literally made every hair on my body stand up. :scared:

Maybe this is harsh but from day 1 I have never got the feeling that these two are really a team. I have seen so, so many interviews and they just never have given me the vibe of really being together (I hope you guys all get what I mean).

There is just such a distance in their body language, words, expressions, etc. It would be different if one interview showed them in a different light...but it's the same tone, appearance, vibe....very distant emotionally and physically from each other and I've never seen them waiver from that distant vibe...regardless of their words.

:(

I see what you're saying.

However, it was stated that Drew broke down and they had to stop.
That may be the explanation? Tape was perhaps edited? IDK.

I have been busy on other threads lately.

I sincerely feel people grieve differently. Drew has always felt hardest hit by this IMHO. He wears his heart on his sleeve. :(

I see what you're saying.

However, it was stated that Drew broke down and they had to stop.
That may be the explanation? Tape was perhaps edited? IDK.

I have been busy on other threads lately.

I sincerely feel people grieve differently. Drew has always felt hardest hit by this IMHO. He wears his heart on his sleeve. :(

Jumping off my own post after watching several times.

Drew is deeply affected. Watch his body language, face and hands.
His face is so sad.

I truly think some are in denial, not Drew. MHO. :twocents:
:moo:

Drew seems like a broken man. God alone knows what he's going through.

Drew seems like a broken man. God alone knows what he's going through.

Drew, to me has taken this the hardest from day one. :twocents:
I feel for him. We have not heard much from others except Heather.

Jumping off my own post after watching several times.

Drew is deeply affected. Watch his body language, face and hands.
His face is so sad.

I truly think some are in denial, not Drew. MHO. :twocents:
:moo:

It's obvious to me after watching yet again that Drew is in deep depression.
I want to reach out hoping others outside are listening. He's in trouble. MHO. Heather deals differently, I won't go into it.

Drew needs help. Hope someone is listening.

Blessings and Hope from me.

I want to reach out hoping others outside are listening. He's in trouble. MHO. Heather deals differently, I won't go into it.

I am not trying to be an armchair psychiatrist here. I am a survivor of a deep, deep clinical depression incident. It began in 1993 and lasted many years, some times worse than others. One of the symptoms of a deep depression for many people is a dissociation from self. A feeling of being outside yourself looking at yourself doing and saying things. My psychiatrist explained it to me as a way your mind develops another layer of protection for you from whatever is the problem. Interpersonal skills were just not there when this disassociation happened to me. I pray this good man does not develop a debilitating depression. I did not have the death of a child to deal with. I cannot imagine his suffering.

Life can be almost unbearable at times, we all have crosses to bear, some are just heavier than others. My hope and prayer is that the person who did this will one day find his guilt unbearable, and turn himself in or at least tell someone he knows who will turn him in.

The first picture I remember seeing of the two of them was shortly after the abduction. Drew and Heather were praying at church. Heather was in deep prayer, but Drew looked completely devastated. To me, this says it all. I go back to that image in my head all the time.

IIRC, Heather said in an interview that Drew and the kids were in counseling, but she was not. I don't know when the interview was, but I think after the girls were found & had memorial/funeral services.

Community dinner planned for people who rallied around Evansdale cousins
Posted: Jul 10, 2013 11:17 AM CDT Updated: Jul 11, 2013 9:14 AM CDT
http://www.kwwl.com/story/22805371/2013/07/10/com

snipped:
On the anniversary of Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins' disappearance, a community dinner is planned to show appreciation for people who have come together in support of the cousins and their families.
... A community dinner is planned for 3:00 p.m. this Saturday, July 13th at Lofty's Lounge in Evansdale.
... the event is open to the public.
"It's a way to say thank you to anyone who has volunteered in anyway, donated, or even just said a prayer,"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Engel