IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #35

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MM has requested a new attorney. She got one but then wanted one not from the public defenders office. Check out who filed a motion for bond reduction. (on the floor)...Jeremiah "Walter White". (Breaking Bad Walter White) ...Of course she plead not guilty.

MOTION FOR BOND REDUCTION 12/06/2013 12/06/2013 12/06/2013
APPEARANCE WHITE JEREMIAH WALTER 12/06/2013 12/06/2013 12/06/2013
WRITTEN ARRAIGNMENT AND PLEA OF NOT GUILTY 12/06/2013 12/06/2013 12/06/2013
OTHER ORDER STAUDT DAVID F 12/06/2013 12/06/2013 12/06/2013
Comments: GRANTING REQUEST THAT COURT APPOINT COUNSEL OTHER THAN
PUBLIC DEFENDERS OFFICE AND APPOINTING ATTY FOLTA

This link has J. Walter White's license suspended but he must have that cleared up if he's filing motions.

http://www.lawyer.com/jeremiah-walter-white.html

http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/52136-ia-thais-folta-2365185/reviews.html

https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/SelectFrame

:banghead: how in the world do you get to choose your public defender from not the Public defender office? And really - she's caught red-handed and pleading not guilty? I'll go back to...:banghead:

You can't take Klunder off the table. If it is well...that's not what I agree with. Everyone is still suspect and of anyone, Klunder is the only person besides Dan that has been named POI or potential suspect!

Right. While he is not my 1st choice of suspects... I haven't ruled him out. If per chance they got dNA on him... they would have it nailed down by now though... I think anyway... I may be wrong, but the way Klunder is being discussed should shut the thread down b/c it was the LE/medial who introduced him into our topic here... We didn't just pull it out of the air - the LE said they didn't want to jeopardize investigation by releasing what they do know about him on the 13th.

My opinion: They are using that to keep someone else feeling free... while, really, their eyes are on them.

??

http://www.kcrg.com/home/top-9/Poli...Lyric--Elizabeth-182562641.html?m=y&smobile=y

Police Seek to 'find a killer' of Lyric & Elizabeth
Story Updated: Dec 11, 2012

Black Hawk County Sheriff Tony Thompson said investigators would be deliberate in pursuing the case of Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins, who were 10 and 8 when they disappeared in Evansdale in July. Hunters stumbled upon two bodies believed to be Cook and Collins in a wooded wildlife area some 25 miles away on Wednesday.

Thompson said it could take "several weeks" for their autopsies to be complete and the results to be made public.

"We're going to be extremely meticulous and we're not going to apologize for that," he said a phone interview with The Associated Press. "We've got an opportunity to find a killer."

Cause of Evansdale cousins' deaths will be kept confidential
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20130102/NEWS/301020070/ Jan. 2, 2013

Authorities will keep secret for an undetermined amount of time the cause of death of two northeast Iowa cousins whose bodies were found in a park in December, officials said Wednesday.

In addition, authorities do not have immediate plans to release other information related to the cousins’ deaths.

The antiquated investigative strategy of Silence is the recidivist sexual predator's most lethal weapon and only results in additional tragedies, imo....

http://abcnews.go.com/US/body-found-river-identified-missing-iowa-girl-kathlynn/story?id=19360017

Kathlynn Shepard, 15, is seen in this undated photo released by the Iowa Department of Public Safety after the man believed to have abducted her and another girl was found dead. Iowa Department of Public Safety/AP Photo

A body found by a fisherman in the Des Moines River has been identified as Kathlynn Shepard, a Dayton, Iowa, girl who was kidnapped along with a friend last month, allegedly by a convicted sex offender.

Iowa Chief State Medical Examiner Dr. Julia Goodin announced today that an autopsy on the body found Friday night in Boone, which is about 11 miles from where Kathlynn was kidnapped, confirmed that it is the 15-year-old girl.

Kathlynn died of "multiple sharp and blunt forced injuries," the medical examiner said.

From the time the body was found Friday evening, investigators said they believed it was her, because the clothes were the same as those Kathlynn was wearing when she was kidnapped.

The kidnapping came less than a year after two young cousins were abducted less than 90 miles from Dayton. Lyric Cook, 10, and Elizabeth Collins, 8, went missing while riding their bikes in July. Their bodies were found found by hunters in a wooded area.

Investigators have been looking into whether Klunder might have been responsible for their abduction and murders.
<sniped - Read More>

Regarding MK's vehicle(s), I suppose he may have had access to company vehicles belonging to his in-laws.

The conversation of the white boxy SUV in regards to MJK confuses me. :confused:

MJK commits suicide on May 20th.
The body of KS was found the evening of June 7th.
They sent out the additional "boxy white vehicle" information plea on June 24.

So are we to assume that the family, friends, members of MJK's community, wouldn't provide LE with the info of any possibility MJK could have access to that type of vehicle? Or are we to assume that LE had a change of heart and decided to go public with this plea PRIOR to checking into things behind the scenes first?

LE had 2 reports of this vehicle prior to the MJK fiasco, and another (a 3rd) that apparently prompted the plea to the public.

With all of the tight lipped work LE has done on this case, why on earth -if they remotely thought the connection to the white boxy vehicle WAS related to MJK - would they go public with the information?

LE made it clear that the family of MJK was cooperating 100%, and I don't doubt for one second that if there was any way to tie him to ANY white, boxy SUV, they would have needed to go public with the plea. The people in that community would have sent him to the cleaners once LE started sniffing around for that info.

IMO, the only reason they would need to go to the public was if MJK wasn't linked to that type of vehicle. There is no need to go public if there WAS a possiblity he had access to that type of vehicle.

What am I missing??

Imo, it would be logical to conclude that investigators have ample information and circumstantial evidence from abduction site, body disposal site, and the autopsy results, etc., to rule MJK, in or out in L & L's abduction/murder. Due to MJK's suicide, he cannot be prosecuted, nor can he harm any other innocent children.

A few indicators as to MJK being responsible for L & L's abduction/murder, imo.

Convicted sexual predator RSO MJ Klunder's abduction of a pair of child victims only 100 miles away and 10 months from the disappearance of L & L. Prior conviction for abducting another pair of 3 year old children over 2 decades ago. Multiple violent sexual assaults, attempted abductions, and abductions of females for decades..

Quote:

MJ Klunder's familiarity with Waverly/Readlyn, Bremer County and other probable ties to the Black Hawk County area, including family living nearby.
Purses, backpacks, cell phones, etc., found in a deflecting manner near bodies of water in K & D as well as L & L's abduction..
Multiple police jurisdictions utilized in both abductions..(create police jurisdictional linkage blindness)
Homicide of victims in both abductions(L & L & K). Fortunately DH escaped..
Known grass mowing ruse used in K & D's abduction, and a likely similar ruse used in L & L's abduction, imo.
Both abduction sites were common places to find preferred victims; community park & school..
Pre-planned familiar safe haven; 2nd secluded/hidden location to perform his evil deeds and for the disposal of the victim's bodies.
Location of deceased victims near or in rivers, indicating a familiarity with forensic destruction, and increased scavenger activity.

(Please feel free to add other links and indicators to MJK being responsible for L & L's abduction/murder)

Imo, MJK was a very violent rage filled sadistic psychopathic sexual predator who had honed his skills for decades, yet although a registered sex offender & convicted child predator was oblivious to law enforcement. If not for DH; a 15 year old courageous innocent victim, MJK would be hunting his next unsuspecting innocent victim/s..

Imo, 42 year old career criminal MJK, did not act out of impulsiveness, but due to an uncontrollable violent compulsion to harm others... KS & DH's abduction was at least his third known kidnapping in a long criminal history in which he was ordered to receive sex offender treatment in Readlyn, IA, as a teenager. Imo, MJK, was very calculating, creative, manipulative, and deflective, yet obviously had no empathy for his many victims.. His ability to elude investigators, if responsible for EC & LC's abduction/murders, would have only empowered him to repeat his horrific crimes, imo...

Foxfire, you beat me to it. ITA with your post.

More than any one thing, is the fact that the cousins were taken together. While not completely unheard of, that is pretty unusual and we now know was part of Klunder's MO.

As, far as the boxy white van/SUV, I think that is just another avenue they continue to follow. Even if Klunder did have access to a similar vehicle, they are extremely common. . .any work/construction/delivery type vehicle is likely going to fit that description. It would be a grave mistake if they don't continue to ask for the public's help IDing the driver and the DNA comes back as not a match for Klunder.

MOO

It's highly unusual and lends to the idea of sexual assualt; two for one; maybe two for two people involved. Then again; the lack of mod cod in this case; you are only as sick as your secrets. There are things LE can hold onto; but IMO this much secrecy harms a case. Forces it into the ice box.

The conversation of the white boxy SUV in regards to MJK confuses me. :confused:

So are we to assume that the family, friends, members of MJK's community, wouldn't provide LE with the info of any possibility MJK could have access to that type of vehicle? Or are we to assume that LE had a change of heart and decided to go public with this plea PRIOR to checking into things behind the scenes first?

LE had 2 reports of this vehicle prior to the MJK fiasco, and another (a 3rd) that apparently prompted the plea to the public.

With all of the tight lipped work LE has done on this case, why on earth -if they remotely thought the connection to the white boxy vehicle WAS related to MJK - would they go public with the information?

LE made it clear that the family of MJK was cooperating 100%, and I don't doubt for one second that if there was any way to tie him to ANY white, boxy SUV, they would have needed to go public with the plea. The people in that community would have sent him to the cleaners once LE started sniffing around for that info.

IMO, the only reason they would need to go to the public was if MJK wasn't linked to that type of vehicle. There is no need to go public if there WAS a possiblity he had access to that type of vehicle.

What am I missing??

Because they would need some kind of confirmation that he was there, albeit circumstantial. As I said in a previous thread, if someone could confirm that they saw a particular white SUV - with perhaps unique features, like a logo our bumper sticker - then that's their connection. MK may have had such a vehicle, and they may even have possession of it.... if they can't place it in Evans Dale on 7/13/2012 without the presence of the girls DNA, then it's worthless.

Because they would need some kind of confirmation that he was there, albeit circumstantial. As I said in a previous thread, if someone could confirm that they saw a particular white SUV - with perhaps unique features, like a logo our bumper sticker - then that's their connection. MK may have had such a vehicle, and they may even have possession of it.... if they can't place it in Evans Dale on 7/13/2012 without the presence of the girls DNA, then it's worthless.

I am not following, they have 3 people who saw the vehicle there, on the day they went missing. If MK had access to that type of vehicle, and 3 people reported it there that day, that would be their connection.

Regardless if someone can't identify something "special" about it...3 people saw it there. HIS DNA would be in that vehicle so they could put him in that vehicle, and 3 people have that vehicle there. If they had the vehicle I would think they could bring those 3 people in (separately) and say "YES" or "NO" if that was the vehicle they saw.

They appear to be looking for something very specific about that vehicle, which would be something that would easily be able to link him to THAT particular SUV type vehicle if they know there is something so special about it...

???

I am not following, they have 3 people who saw the vehicle there, on the day they went missing. If MK had access to that type of vehicle, and 3 people reported it there that day, that would be their connection.

Regardless if someone can't identify something "special" about it...3 people saw it there. HIS DNA would be in that vehicle so they could put him in that vehicle, and 3 people have that vehicle there. If they had the vehicle I would think they could bring those 3 people in (separately) and say "YES" or "NO" if that was the vehicle they saw.

They appear to be looking for something very specific about that vehicle, which would be something that would easily be able to link him to THAT particular SUV type vehicle if they know there is something so special about it...

???

That they saw A boxy white vehicle in the area does not establish that it was THE SAME boxy white vehicle, and even if it was the same vehicle, that doesn't establish that it was connected to this or any other crime.

That they saw A boxy white vehicle in the area does not establish that it was THE SAME boxy white vehicle, and even if it was the same vehicle, that doesn't establish that it was connected to this or any other crime.

I see what you're saying.

I guess we go back to common sense and the whole "circumstantial evidence" thing. IF Klunder had access to a "boxy white vehicle" that he had borrowed that day, 3 people saw a vehicle that after the fact they identified as THEE vehicle they saw, regardless if they can PROVE that Klunder was there that day (say, via cell phone pings) etc. it would be circumstantial...but VERY probable that was the vehicle if his DNA was in the vehicle and that car was borrowed on that day that it was a pretty strong lead.

Circumstantial connections that strong I would think would lead them to believe that more than likely he was their guy.

My theory is that LE has no way to connect Klunder to any boxy white suv and that is why they went to the public for more info...JMO of course.

I see what you're saying.

I guess we go back to common sense and the whole "circumstantial evidence" thing. IF Klunder had access to a "boxy white vehicle" that he had borrowed that day, 3 people saw a vehicle that after the fact they identified as THEE vehicle they saw, regardless if they can PROVE that Klunder was there that day (say, via cell phone pings) etc. it would be circumstantial...but VERY probable that was the vehicle if his DNA was in the vehicle and that car was borrowed on that day that it was a pretty strong lead.

Circumstantial connections that strong I would think would lead them to believe that more than likely he was their guy.

My theory is that LE has no way to connect Klunder to any boxy white suv and that is why they went to the public for more info...JMO of course.

Yes, and if there were other connections as well, it would make an even stronger case. You might well be right about why they went public with it; even if they have other evidence, that would help them make a stronger case.

I'm glad they're being patient and careful. It must be really tempting to try to say, "Oh, this known child murderer did it, so we don't have to look any more," rather than continuing to investigate.

What am I missing??

I certainly don't think you're missing anything.

While it's possible MK had access to an in-law's company vehicle, I believe that any and all vehicles MK had access to have been checked out completely. I agree with your comment that LE wouldn't need to go public regarding the white boxy vehicle if they knew MK had access to that kind of vehicle. JMO.

Its a different crime.

We don't know if there was a sexual attack

If LE reveals the girls were NOT molested would everyone still be so sure this was MJK?

Its a different crime.

We don't know if there was a sexual attack

If LE reveals the girls were NOT molested would everyone still be so sure this was MJK?

My guess would be yes, because he didn't molest the two 3 year olds he took, nor was it released (from what I can find) that Kathlynn Shephard was sexually assaulted.

He did sexually assault other victims though so it appears he can go either way depending on the situation.

What I find especially odd is that he didn't harm the 3 year olds severely enough for them to press additional charges against him. One of the children had been choked but medical personnel stated that it could be argued that it wasn't "serious" (or something to that effect...I'd have to go back to re-read the article).

So he will sexually assault women of his own age, but yet didn't sexually assault the 3 year olds, nor Kathlynn (that I read). That would lead some to believe he violently kills and not necessarily for the sexual piece of it - leaving him on the table for a thrill kill.

Yes, he drove those 3 year old's 50 miles...but in doing so he also didn't seriously harm them and left them alive (for whatever reason had a change of heart of seriously harming them). The other scenarios he's stuck pretty close to home. L&L were, what...100 miles away?

Call me ignorant, blind, and even a fool...I'm just not feelin' it with Klunder. :(

I don't know.... the more we hash it out, the more i think he could be the one.

As for the two 3 year olds, maybe he was just inexperienced? How long ago was that? 20 years?

I don't know.... the more we hash it out, the more i think he could be the one.

As for the two 3 year olds, maybe he was just inexperienced? How long ago was that? 20 years?

That happened in 1991 - here is the timeline of his crimes:

http://globegazette.com/news/local/...cle_b448708a-db89-11e2-bf27-0019bb2963f4.html

Sadly, I wouldn't necessarily call him "inexperienced" since he's been committing crimes of violence/sexual assault since 1986 (15 years old).

One thing he has NOT been good at is getting away with much of anything (thankfully).

I am certainly not going to be "shocked" per se if he does end up being connected, but yes, it will surprise me that he was able to pull this one off with the girls. Somehow I just see him as a completely impulsive - non planning - attacker. I just feel that this situation with the girls was meticulously planned. Those girls didn't go to that lake (per their families accounts) and for them to be in THAT spot at THAT time with no way out just seems too coincidental for this to be a Klunder connection for me.

Just recieved an update from Iowa Vinelink. Misty has bonded out. She had $130K plus the new charge filed that will be heard 12/16 for an additonal $15K.

12/9/2013

This e-mail is to inform you that MISTY COOK has been released from custody as of 12/9/2013. The release reason is: Bonded out. If you have any concerns about your immediate safety, contact your local law enforcement agency, or if you have an emergency, call 911.

For more information, contact the Fayette County Jail. The telephone number is (563)422-3234.

Her docket updated today. $50,000 unsecured bond. All about unsecured bonds at link below, it's a promise to pay basically.

ORDER OF ARRAIGNMENT STOCHL RICHARD D 12/09/2013 12/09/2013 12/09/2013
Comments: PTC 1/22/14 @10AM JTR 1/29/14 @9AM
OTHER ORDER STOCHL RICHARD D 12/09/2013 12/09/2013 12/09/2013
Comments: DEFENDANT RELEASED TO PRETRIAL SERVICES UPON POSTING $50,000
UNSECURED APPEARANCE BOND

MOTION TO WITHDRAW COUNSEL FOLTA THAIS ANN 12/09/2013 12/09/2013 12/09/2013

Also changing attorney's again...

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/initSearchForm.do?searchType=offender&siteId=16000

(she's listed as Misty Cook on Vinelink)

http://news.morningstar.com/classroom2/course.asp?docId=5404&page=3&CN=com

Just recieved an update from Iowa Vinelink. Misty has bonded out. She had $130K plus the new charge filed that will be heard 12/16 for an additonal $15K.

12/9/2013

This e-mail is to inform you that MISTY COOK has been released from custody as of 12/9/2013. The release reason is: Bonded out. If you have any concerns about your immediate safety, contact your local law enforcement agency, or if you have an emergency, call 911.

For more information, contact the Fayette County Jail. The telephone number is (563)422-3234.

Her docket updated today. $50,000 unsecured bond. All about unsecured bonds at link below, it's a promise to pay basically.

ORDER OF ARRAIGNMENT STOCHL RICHARD D 12/09/2013 12/09/2013 12/09/2013
Comments: PTC 1/22/14 @10AM JTR 1/29/14 @9AM
OTHER ORDER STOCHL RICHARD D 12/09/2013 12/09/2013 12/09/2013
Comments: DEFENDANT RELEASED TO PRETRIAL SERVICES UPON POSTING $50,000
UNSECURED APPEARANCE BOND

MOTION TO WITHDRAW COUNSEL FOLTA THAIS ANN 12/09/2013 12/09/2013 12/09/2013

Also changing attorney's again...

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/initSearchForm.do?searchType=offender&siteId=16000

(she's listed as Misty Cook on Vinelink)

http://news.morningstar.com/classroom2/course.asp?docId=5404&page=3&CN=com

How the heck do they expect her to pay back a $50k bond? Sheesh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member