IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be curious to know how Michael Klunder was ruled out.
Hoping that DNA ruled MK out but they do not want to say that as it might give a hint as to the info. LE may have wrt the cousins, imo, speculation.
rbbm.
''Klunder became a person of interest in the Evansdale case after police say he abducted two girls from Dayton on May 20. Police discovered Klunder murdered one of the girls, 15-year-old Kathlynn Shepard, before killing himself.

May 14 2014
Police: Klunder didn't kidnap Evansdale cousins
"There were so many similarities between the case in Dayton and the case in Evansdale," Smock said.

Smock said it is very rare for an abductor to take two girls at the same time. In fact, before the Evansdale girls went missing, the FBI had only recorded 15 such incidents since 1974, Smock said.

For the Evansdale case, one investigation team was specifically assigned to look into Klunder, Smock said.

Smock would not discuss specifics on what the team did to investigate Klunder, but he did say the team "spent a great deal of time looking into his whereabouts on July 13." The team also analyzed information and ran tests, Smock said.

"We were running into dead ends with everything we were looking for," Smock said.

Authorities determined Klunder was not in Evansdale on July 13 and was not involved in the girls' disappearance or killing. Police believe Klunder was in or near his home in Stratford when the Evansdale girls disappeared, Smock said.''

Hoping that DNA ruled MK out but they do not want to say that as it might give a hint as to the info. LE may have wrt the cousins, imo, speculation.
rbbm.
''Klunder became a person of interest in the Evansdale case after police say he abducted two girls from Dayton on May 20. Police discovered Klunder murdered one of the girls, 15-year-old Kathlynn Shepard, before killing himself.

May 14 2014
Police: Klunder didn't kidnap Evansdale cousins
"There were so many similarities between the case in Dayton and the case in Evansdale," Smock said.

Smock said it is very rare for an abductor to take two girls at the same time. In fact, before the Evansdale girls went missing, the FBI had only recorded 15 such incidents since 1974, Smock said.

For the Evansdale case, one investigation team was specifically assigned to look into Klunder, Smock said.

Smock would not discuss specifics on what the team did to investigate Klunder, but he did say the team "spent a great deal of time looking into his whereabouts on July 13." The team also analyzed information and ran tests, Smock said.

"We were running into dead ends with everything we were looking for," Smock said.

Authorities determined Klunder was not in Evansdale on July 13 and was not involved in the girls' disappearance or killing. Police believe Klunder was in or near his home in Stratford when the Evansdale girls disappeared, Smock said.''

I'm amazed at how much trouble the killer of L&E, and the killer of A&L in Delphi went through so much trouble to abduct, and then to kill.

Klunder OTOH did a classic entice-and-grab on his last two victims. I was shocked to learn he abducted two 3 y/o girls in the early 90's. So not just one set of girls in his life of crime, but two:

Michael Klunder Timeline

I'm curious as to why LE don't consider hi ma suspect, maybe it's the vehicle description and other factors.

It seems perfectly straightforward to me. "Authorities determined Klunder was not in Evansdale on July 13 and was not involved in the girls' disappearance or killing."

If he wasn't in Evansdale, he couldn't have done it. Unless he's got like a teleporter in his barn, or something.

Hm. Actually that would explain a great deal.

Hey guys,

I know how annoying a "newbie to the case" question is, so bare with me please.

Can anyone clue me in about a property, 800 Arbutus Ave/ Evansdale? I know about deeds, foreclosure, sales, construction etc. I am looking for info on ..

a. why was the construction abandoned after pouring the base and storing all that wood on the property?
b. whether the concrete base (not the structure, that went up in 2017) was built by the owner(s) or a construction company/handyman (permit?)

I know it's nothing new, but I just want to get it out of my head.

Thank you!

-Nin

Hey guys,

Can anyone clue me in about a property, 800 Arbutus Ave/ Evansdale? I know about deeds, foreclosure, sales, construction etc. I am looking for info on ..

a. why was the construction abandoned after pouring the base and storing all that wood on the property?
b. whether the concrete base (not the structure, that went up in 2017) was built by the owner(s) or a construction company/handyman (permit?)

Thank you!

-Nin

hmmm... interesting! I’m glad you brought this up because I never heard of this.
Now this is definitely going to scratch my brain. How far from the girls was this area?

hmmm... interesting! I’m glad you brought this up because I never heard of this.
Now this is definitely going to scratch my brain. How far from the girls was this area?

These are google earth captures of the property, click to enlarge:
3-10-2015
evansdale arbutus property 03 10 2015.png

6-29-2011
evansdale arbutus property 06 29 2011.png

6-29-2010
evansdale arbutus property 06 29 2010.png

6-19-2009
evansdale arbutus property 06 19 2009.png

The property was bought in 2010 and then foreclosed/ forfeited/ tax sale etc. in 2015. The current owner purchased the land with the concrete base in 2016 and erected a structure in 2017 according to county records:

evansdale 800 arbutus sales county records.png

Did anyone dig into this way back with possible info about who built the concrete base in 2009 or 2010? The current owners are of zero interest btw.

Thank you!

-Nin

I have no info on that land.

But in my experience, this not uncommon. I live in a neighborhood that was developed over a period of years beginning just before I moved here. A lot of the homes started with basements being dug and foundations being laid, but then all work stopped and things sat, sometimes for months. Eventually work began again and the houses were completed.

3-10-2015
View attachment 235658

6-29-2011
View attachment 235659

6-29-2010
View attachment 235660

6-19-2009
View attachment 235661

The property was bought in 2010 and then foreclosed/ forfeited/ tax sale etc. in 2015. The current owner purchased the land with the concrete base in 2016 and erected a structure in 2017 according to county records:

View attachment 235662

Did anyone dig into this way back with possible info about who built the concrete base in 2009 or 2010? The current owners are of zero interest btw.

Thank you!

-Nin

This info is mainly for those who are not as familiar with this case.
Arbutus Rd is very close to where the girls were thought to be taken.

First picture - The small gray line that goes from the top of the picture down and around the "lot" is the Nature Trail that the girls may have ridden their bikes on. This trail is a walking or bike trail - not vehicles. The point at the bottom right of the lake is near where the girls' bikes were found.

Second picture - This is a close up of the trail as it passes through the trees at the "back side" of the lake. If you look at the top side of these trees, you will see the dirt lane at the curve on Arbutus going into the trees. This lane leads to a very small maintenance building. The lane goes on past the building towards the lake where the girls' bikes were found. It is also where a "white" truck/van was spotted.

Third/Fourth pictures - are focused more on the lot being discussed.

I tried to link your post in mine above but it didn't work.
The girls' bikes were found by the lake to the left of this area. It is presumed to be where the girls were taken from but that's not positive. The girls' bodies were found nearly 20 miles away to the northeast in the Seven Bridges County Park near Readlyn IA.

This info is mainly for those who are not as familiar with this case.
Arbutus Rd is very close to where the girls were thought to be taken.

First picture - The small gray line that goes from the top of the picture down and around the "lot" is the Nature Trail that the girls may have ridden their bikes on. This trail is a walking or bike trail - not vehicles. The point at the bottom right of the lake is near where the girls' bikes were found.

Second picture - This is a close up of the trail as it passes through the trees at the "back side" of the lake. If you look at the top side of these trees, you will see the dirt lane at the curve on Arbutus going into the trees. This lane leads to a very small maintenance building. The lane goes on past the building towards the lake where the girls' bikes were found. It is also where a "white" truck/van was spotted.

Third/Fourth pictures - are focused more on the lot being discussed.
Seriously, what are the chances of somebody being on that road to see the girls? Other than houses, there isn't any reason to be on that road specifically - no businesses, it's not a main route between two major roads, etc. It's strange. The suspect had to a) have see them riding elsewhere and followed them, b) was staking out the area for that express purpose, or c) had to be someone who already had a normal reason to be there. JMO

I have no info on that land.

But in my experience, this not uncommon. I live in a neighborhood that was developed over a period of years beginning just before I moved here. A lot of the homes started with basements being dug and foundations being laid, but then all work stopped and things sat, sometimes for months. Eventually work began again and the houses were completed.

Yes, that's true. I was just wondering, whether the construction was still ongoing in 2012, since google earth shows it was active in the months of 06 and 08 of 2011. Easy thing to have a trailer and transport some building material and/or bicycles - in theory. That would lead me to question then, who was the contractor..?

This is just the first thing, that jumped out to me prior to (being in the process of) learning all the details of the case.

-Nin

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thank you!

-Nin

Qute the oppposite. Welcome, newbie! To you, and your fresh eyes!

3-10-2015
View attachment 235658

6-29-2011
View attachment 235659

6-29-2010
View attachment 235660

6-19-2009
View attachment 235661

View attachment 235662

Thank you!

-Nin

Not to my knowledge. What is the street address of that specific property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannepalmer85