IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the full surveillance video ever posted? Or was more information about the cars in the area given? I know someone personally, and I'm looking to identify his car.

The best place to look would be in the media thread. Or in @AmandaReckonwith 's case archive. Unfortunately it looks like the pointers in the first post aren't good any more.

Re posting.
Feb 3, 2015

Full timeline at link.
Surveillance video may be last known sighting of missing girls
Dec 4, 2014
''EVANSDALE, Iowa --- A surveillance video showing two bicyclists may be the last glimpse of missing cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, and Elizabeth Collins, 8.

The blurry clip, which lasts only a few seconds, shows the figures riding by on Brovan Street away from Meyers Lake.''

“They were the only two people to go by on bikes that day to my knowledge,” said Joe Pahl, who alerted police about the video July 16. “I’ve watched it.”

Pahl is the manager of Cornbelt Auctions, 3520 Lafayette Road, where a 24-hour camera captured the footage from its position behind the building. The time and date stamp — 12:11 p.m. July 13 — fits the police timeline of the case.

However, Pahl said the camera’s clock is eight minutes slower than his U.S. Cellular phone.

About 4 p.m. the youngsters’ bikes and Collins’ purse were found on the south side of Meyers Lake. Ted Gamerdinger of Waterloo, a bicyclist who said he often rides the Evansdale Nature Trail, has previously told The Courier he saw the two kids’ bikes on the trail at about 12:20 p.m., but no sign of the children.

“It’s pretty hard for girls to get a mile and a half away ... in eight minutes,” Pahl said. “I don’t even think I could ride a bike a mile in eight minutes.”

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

Linking to random podcasts or promoting personal websites is not allowed.

Also, sleuthing of random individuals who are not officially named by LE to be a POI or suspect is not allowed.

Investigative consideration:

About 85% of Child abduction murders return to the body site, prior to the victims bodies being discovered, often multiple times between the time they went missing to the time they were discovered.

About 93% of those who do return do so within the first 48 hours, after the murder

LE should ask for ANYONE to come forward, if they had seen someone in that area when they were found at any point between those time periods, no matter how mundane it may seem.

I also firmly believe LE has interviewed the person responsible already , theres just some reason he is still on the back burner

another consideration is to look at any subsequent or prior attempted abductions , attempted lurings etc ... as these types have the highest propensity to re-offend and often become serial offenders

Re posting.
Feb 3, 2015

Full timeline at link.
Surveillance video may be last known sighting of missing girls
Dec 4, 2014
''EVANSDALE, Iowa --- A surveillance video showing two bicyclists may be the last glimpse of missing cousins Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, and Elizabeth Collins, 8.

The blurry clip, which lasts only a few seconds, shows the figures riding by on Brovan Street away from Meyers Lake.''

“They were the only two people to go by on bikes that day to my knowledge,” said Joe Pahl, who alerted police about the video July 16. “I’ve watched it.”

Pahl is the manager of Cornbelt Auctions, 3520 Lafayette Road, where a 24-hour camera captured the footage from its position behind the building. The time and date stamp — 12:11 p.m. July 13 — fits the police timeline of the case.

However, Pahl said the camera’s clock is eight minutes slower than his U.S. Cellular phone.

About 4 p.m. the youngsters’ bikes and Collins’ purse were found on the south side of Meyers Lake. Ted Gamerdinger of Waterloo, a bicyclist who said he often rides the Evansdale Nature Trail, has previously told The Courier he saw the two kids’ bikes on the trail at about 12:20 p.m., but no sign of the children.

“It’s pretty hard for girls to get a mile and a half away ... in eight minutes,” Pahl said. “I don’t even think I could ride a bike a mile in eight minutes.”
Thanks! I don't remember this news clip. So 6-7 years ago, LE was looking for ANYONE familiar with the 7 Bridges area. Not just anyone who seemed suspicious. And yet even with that broad approach there is no arrest. Either LE interviewed this killer and he was convincing enough or, in spite of looking at everyone, they still missed him. I wonder if this killer lived in the area in the past - e.g., lived there in high school, but lives farther away at the time - and was missed by LE.

I've followed this case off and on over the years but never tried to find out anything on 7 Bridges. I did find this: https://www.mycountyparks.com/County/Bremer/Park/Seven-Bridges-Wildlife-Area.aspx

Having spent a lot of time hunting in the deep south, I find 166 acres to be a rather small area for public hunting. I can't imagine that the 166 acres would support a lot of deer for public hunting. Maybe for a private hunt club. Looking at it on Google maps in the satellite mode it is surrounded by woodlands or marsh to the north and south with the Wapsipinicon River running through the middle of all of it. Private lands or public surrounding it? After looking at it on Google there are probably quite a few hunters and fisherman who use that area with the Waterloo metro area having a population of 169K per Wikipedia. Waterloo, of which Evansdale is a suburb, is only 30 minutes away. That is a LOT of ground to cover for LE. I imagine if this was a person familiar with Seven Bridges from hunting and/or fishing they may have shifted to another nearby area such as Dudgeon Lake Wildlife Area to the south of Evansdale now.

Thanks! I don't remember this news clip. So 6-7 years ago, LE was looking for ANYONE familiar with the 7 Bridges area. Not just anyone who seemed suspicious. And yet even with that broad approach there is no arrest. Either LE interviewed this killer and he was convincing enough or, in spite of looking at everyone, they still missed him. I wonder if this killer lived in the area in the past - e.g., lived there in high school, but lives farther away at the time - and was missed by LE.

I've followed this case off and on over the years but never tried to find out anything on 7 Bridges. I did find this: Seven Bridges Wildlife Area - Bremer, IA

Having spent a lot of time hunting in the deep south, I find 166 acres to be a rather small area for public hunting. I can't imagine that the 166 acres would support a lot of deer for public hunting. Maybe for a private hunt club. Looking at it on Google maps in the satellite mode it is surrounded by woodlands or marsh to the north and south with the Wapsipinicon River running through the middle of all of it. Private lands or public surrounding it? After looking at it on Google there are probably quite a few hunters and fisherman who use that area with the Waterloo metro area having a population of 169K per Wikipedia. Waterloo, of which Evansdale is a suburb, is only 30 minutes away. That is a LOT of ground to cover for LE. I imagine if this was a person familiar with Seven Bridges from hunting and/or fishing they may have shifted to another nearby area such as Dudgeon Lake Wildlife Area to the south of Evansdale now.

I believe that wildlife area is known for raccoon hunting moreso than deer hunting. Which could support a narrowing of focus on who would be familiar with the park itself.

I believe that wildlife area is known for raccoon hunting moreso than deer hunting. Which could support a narrowing of focus on who would be familiar with the park itself.
The park, per Bremer County, is open to all hunting per the web page. Or at least they don't restrict which game can be hunted as long as the game is covered under Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
Seven Bridges Wildlife Area - Bremer, IA

I've seen two articles that mention raccoon hunting, but the emphasis seemed to be that the park is used 24 hours during the raccoon season when it overlaps with other seasons such deer, rabbit or squirrel. This is because raccoon hunters typically hunt at night while other game is hunted during the day. They also mentioned fisherman going after catfish which is not uncommon at night either. If I remember correctly the girls were found around noon time so if I had to bet that would likely be deer, squirrel or rabbit hunters as opposed to raccoon hunters.

The park, per Bremer County, is open to all hunting per the web page. Or at least they don't restrict which game can be hunted as long as the game is covered under Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
Seven Bridges Wildlife Area - Bremer, IA

I've seen two articles that mention raccoon hunting, but the emphasis seemed to be that the park is used 24 hours during the raccoon season when it overlaps with other seasons such deer, rabbit or squirrel. This is because raccoon hunters typically hunt at night while other game is hunted during the day. They also mentioned fisherman going after catfish which is not uncommon at night either. If I remember correctly the girls were found around noon time so if I had to bet that would likely be deer, squirrel or rabbit hunters as opposed to raccoon hunters.

1. No one said raccoon hunting was the only type of hunting allowed or the only type that took place there. Just a belief (aka an opinion) that it was well-known locally for it.

2. No one said raccoon hunting was taking place when the girls were found.

Other than that, good info I guess.

rbbm.
Crime Stoppers reward in cousins Elizabeth Collins, Lyric Cook case reaches $100K on 9th anniversary of their disappearance
Aug 26, 2021
''WATERLOO — Someone out there knows who is behind the 2012 slayings of cousins Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook.

And turning over that information could mean a lot of money.''

''Lippert said the reward requires only enough information to make an arrest --- a conviction isn’t required --- and the money can be paid out immediately after the arrest.''

''Tips may be submitted by emailing the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations at ourmissingiowagirls@dps.state.ia.usDPS.STATE.IA.US, texting CEDAR plus the tip to 274637 (CRIMES), submitting information at www.cvcrimestop.com or at the Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers Facebook page.''

1. No one said raccoon hunting was the only type of hunting allowed or the only type that took place there. Just a belief (aka an opinion) that it was well-known locally for it.

2. No one said raccoon hunting was taking place when the girls were found.

Other than that, good info I guess.
???? Who said raccoon hunting was the only type allowed or took place? Who said raccoon hunting was taking place when the girls were found?

rbbm.
Crime Stoppers reward in cousins Elizabeth Collins, Lyric Cook case reaches $100K on 9th anniversary of their disappearance
Aug 26, 2021
''WATERLOO — Someone out there knows who is behind the 2012 slayings of cousins Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook.

And turning over that information could mean a lot of money.''

''Lippert said the reward requires only enough information to make an arrest --- a conviction isn’t required --- and the money can be paid out immediately after the arrest.''

''Tips may be submitted by emailing the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations at ourmissingiowagirls@dps.state.ia.usDPS.STATE.IA.US, texting CEDAR plus the tip to 274637 (CRIMES), submitting information at www.cvcrimestop.com or at the Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers Facebook page.''
Good catch! $100K and just for an arrest. Compare this to a similar crime, the murders of Abigail Williams and Liberty German in Delphi. There is a $325K reward there, but in order to collect there has to be a conviction.

My “profile” is in conflict with most of this. I should preface with MOO and acknowledge that I am biased due to the similarities to Evansdale (the case that brought me here).

The similarities are too much for me. The hunting grounds are the same.

- Generally safe public recreational sites. People feel comfortable here, more specifically people feel comfortable leaving children their relatively unsupervised.

- In this generally safe area, there is a secluded location suitable for executing a stealth attack with high probability of success. A&L we’re essentially trapped, L&L we’re in a tunnel of sorts (heavy vegetation).

- This generally safe recreational area is located next to a relatively major highway.

I firmly believe the cases are related. Either the same killer, or a copycat of sorts. If I were a psychotic waste of oxygen and wanted to do something like this, I’d probably study similar unsolved crimes for tips on getting away with it.

I’m sure many have, but I’d be interested in researching attempted and successful abductions/murders from similar sites across the midwest. My focus would be one similarities in the hunting ground.

I came to WS back when the girls went missing. I went to school at Wartburg (Waverly, Bremer County) and then lived in Cedar Falls until 2009. I frequently biked the trails in the area and this case shocked me. After months then years of nothing I gave up, and recently I learned about the Delphi case and just can’t shake the similarities. Anyway, just wanted to post this here.

I came to WS back when the girls went missing. I went to school at Wartburg (Waverly, Bremer County) and then lived in Cedar Falls until 2009. I frequently biked the trails in the area and this case shocked me. After months then years of nothing I gave up, and recently I learned about the Delphi case and just can’t shake the similarities. Anyway, just wanted to post this here.

I also grew up in Grinnell, Iowa. About 15 minutes from both Mollie Tibbets and Xavier Harrelson. Too much too close if you ask me.

I hope that someday this case is solved. Just wondering if they ever ruled out JLA, the man who was arrested for and convicted of luring young girls in Colfax Iowa.

To my knowledge, he was identified as a person of interest after his arrests for luring and LE discovering there were as many as 19 victims in 9 Iowa counties. But I can find no information that they ever announced that they ruled him out. The last time they really mentioned him in regard to the Evansdale case was around 2018.

He's an interesting lead because he often preyed in communities where he had absolutely no connection other than the fact that he traveled throughout Iowa for his job.

More about him and his possible connection to the Evansdale case for anyone newer to the discussion:
Iowa child abduction: How a man tried to kidnap 19 kids across state

Jeff Almayer may be considered a suspect but from his known actions, he doesn't seem to be a killer type. IMO

Here is a summary of the case which mentions Jeff Altmayer and his possible involvement. Good read and very interesting comments.

'When asked about Altmayer on July 12, 2017, Roehrkasse told KWWL, “The most I would say is that he is one of our leads and I will leave it at that.”

Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins

Here is a copy of the appeal for one of his life sentences in 2019 where it was affirmed that he was guilty. I read part of it and thought those with a legal mind would enjoy reviewing it.

State of Iowa v. Jeff Lee Altmayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member