IA IA - KLUNDER, Michael J: Violent Sexual Offender, Murderer, and Suspected SK

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Iowa Board of Parole
Board Decisions

Set forth below is action taken by the Iowa Board of Parole concerning each of the inmates. This information is a public record pursuant to Iowa Code chapter 22.

For specific information concerning an inmate and for the names of Board members present, contact the Board at 515/242-5757.

Facility/ Inmate
Inmate Name Number Latest Decision Outcome

NEWTON CORR FACILITY
KLUNDER, MICHAEL 806024 Denied on 8/6/2004

http://publications.iowa.gov/1722/1/BoardDecisions.asp

++++++++++

Iowa Board of Parole
Board Decisions

Set forth below is action taken by the Iowa Board of Parole concerning each of the inmates. This information is a public record pursuant to Iowa Code chapter 22.

For specific information concerning an inmate and for the names of Board members present, contact the Board at 515/242-5757.

Facility/ Inmate
Inmate Name Number Latest Decision Outcome

NEWTON CORR FACILITY
KLUNDER, MICHAEL 806024 Denied on 8/6/2004

http://publications.iowa.gov/1722/1/BoardDecisions.asp

++++++++++

The Newton Correctional Facility is a low and medium security correctional institution of the Iowa Department of Corrections. It is located in Palo Alto Township, in unincorporated Jasper County, Iowa, near Newton.

The facility houses the Correctional Release Center - a low security unit that prepares inmates in the Iowa correctional system for parole, work release, or discharge. The center trains inmates about to be released in release preparation, challenging criminal thinking, and substance abuse treatment.

The center's programs place emphasis on the need for such inmates to accept responsibility for their actions. The substance abuse program not only prepares inmates for release, but it also provides treatment for parolees and work release people who have developed substance abuse issues.

The facility offers adult basic education, GED services, and special education.
Inmates are assigned both in and outside work. The outside work can be community service based work in state agencies, or private sector employment.
The InnerChange Freedom Initiative was formerly available in this facility.
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_Correctional_Facility"]Newton Correctional Facility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

"Interesting Read" -
InnerChange Freedom Initiative
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InnerChange_Freedom_Initiative"]InnerChange Freedom Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Mark A.R. Kleiman, a University of California, Los Angeles professor who studied crime, decided to study IFI. According to Kleiman, when first encountering the study, he stated that he thought "This is interesting. Those look like good recidivism numbers, and good recidivism numbers are hard to find."[2]

Upon examining the study, Kleiman concluded that IFI selected prisoners who were already motivated and disciplined and more likely to succeed to participate in the program. Kleiman said that the study "gives you this happy horseshit about the graduates, but if you look at the 'intent to treat,' it's a loser."[2] Kleiman stated that he was not opposed to the IFI program, but that he was opposed to the study.[7]

<sniped & BBM>

The Newton Correctional Facility is a low and medium security correctional institution of the Iowa Department of Corrections. It is located in Palo Alto Township, in unincorporated Jasper County, Iowa, near Newton.

The facility houses the Correctional Release Center - a low security unit that prepares inmates in the Iowa correctional system for parole, work release, or discharge. The center trains inmates about to be released in release preparation, challenging criminal thinking, and substance abuse treatment.

The center's programs place emphasis on the need for such inmates to accept responsibility for their actions. The substance abuse program not only prepares inmates for release, but it also provides treatment for parolees and work release people who have developed substance abuse issues.

The facility offers adult basic education, GED services, and special education.
Inmates are assigned both in and outside work. The outside work can be community service based work in state agencies, or private sector employment.
(Snip)
BBM

The outside work worries me. Are the inmates transported to and fro? How well are they supervised? Do you think MJK was assigned any outside work? What if he was assigned to Seven Bridges to clean up the park after weekend activities back when it was a popular place? What about Angels Park (Meyers Lake)?

I have read that he worked at a gold course, supposedly he was supervised and worked in areas where he did not have contact with the general public. But...in his attempts to convince the prison board he was fit to be released, he stated that in his job at the golf course he interacted with the public which shows that he is better and should be trusted. I read that yesterday but I did not save the links, two separate ones.

One of the reasons I really don't think MK is responsible for L & E's deaths. Reading about all his abduction attempts it seems to me that all of his victims where not far from the places he lived, I didn't google the locations, but it seems his victims were probably within a twenty mile radius of where he lived.

His first victim, 1986, where no charges were filed, was someone he rode the school bus with. Someone he knew, someone who lived in his area. She got away.

Second victim, a woman from the Rudd area, not sure where Rudd is to Charles City but it would guess it's somewhere close to Charles City or to where MK worked. Seems to me this was a random act since he did not know her. Thank God after she waved someone down the person followed MK's car which led MK to push this victim out of the car. She got away.

Third and forth victims, two toddles that lived in the same apartment complex as he did. Again I think random because he was mad at one of the little girls. He did drive them 50 miles away though, probably because they couldn't fight back otherwise I think he would have put them more closer to areas he was familiar with.

Dezi & Kathlynn - Stratford, where he lived, not far from abduction at school bus stop, could be he drove past that stop many times. Not far from hog confinement, not far from the river where he dumped the body. If he had been organized he would have never left their backpacks to be found by LE.

I had read that while he was at one of the facilities he was doing so well that he helped counsel other sex offenders. If I were LE I would be checking into all the people he helped counsel, in all the facilities he was in. Could be while MK was discussing the error of his ways, someone with mental problem decided to glorify him instead of learning from his mistakes. Or could be this person learned from MK what mistakes he made that lead to him being arrested. A what "not to do list" if you don't want to get caught. Someone who may have tried to copycat MK's attempts.

I would also be checking into missing person cases from 1991 Tallahassee Florida December 24 to January 1992. This is where they found his abandoned car. Also Housten Texas where he was picked up from.

Three got away, Dezi, the school friend, and the Rudd woman. Two were left in the dumpster. I think MK killed himself because he did not want to go back to prison and also because it's possible since we don't know about any other victims, that this one was the first one he actually killed. Somehow I have a feeling there may be more, at least attempts, in Florida or Texas.

One of the reasons I really don't think MK is responsible for L & E's deaths. Reading about all his abduction attempts it seems to me that all of his victims where not far from the places he lived, I didn't google the locations, but it seems his victims were probably within a twenty mile radius of where he lived.

His first victim, 1986, where no charges were filed, was someone he rode the school bus with. Someone he knew, someone who lived in his area. She got away.

Second victim, a woman from the Rudd area, not sure where Rudd is to Charles City but it would guess it's somewhere close to Charles City or to where MK worked. Seems to me this was a random act since he did not know her. Thank God after she waved someone down the person followed MK's car which led MK to push this victim out of the car. She got away.

Third and forth victims, two toddles that lived in the same apartment complex as he did. Again I think random because he was mad at one of the little girls. He did drive them 50 miles away though, probably because they couldn't fight back otherwise I think he would have put them more closer to areas he was familiar with.

Dezi & Kathlynn - Stratford, where he lived, not far from abduction at school bus stop, could be he drove past that stop many times. Not far from hog confinement, not far from the river where he dumped the body. If he had been organized he would have never left their backpacks to be found by LE.

I had read that while he was at one of the facilities he was doing so well that he helped counsel other sex offenders. If I were LE I would be checking into all the people he helped counsel, in all the facilities he was in. Could be while MK was discussing the error of his ways, someone with mental problem decided to glorify him instead of learning from his mistakes. Or could be this person learned from MK what mistakes he made that lead to him being arrested. A what "not to do list" if you don't want to get caught. Someone who may have tried to copycat MK's attempts.

I would also be checking into missing person cases from 1991 Tallahassee Florida December 24 to January 1992. This is where they found his abandoned car. Also Housten Texas where he was picked up from.

Three got away, Dezi, the school friend, and the Rudd woman. Two were left in the dumpster. I think MK killed himself because he did not want to go back to prison and also because it's possible since we don't know about any other victims, that this one was the first one he actually killed. Somehow I have a feeling there may be more, at least attempts, in Florida or Texas.

Skeet, as sexual predators/SKs evolve and hone their skills, many times they intentionally adapt their behavioral traits to reflect a Mixed classification to confuse investigators/profilers, imo.

MJK's first victim EVG, was left for dead, imo, as was the 3 year old girls. The 3 year olds were abducted on December 6, 1991. Imo, had they not been located by the aware maintenance man. Chances are that they would have eventually froze to death.

Skeet, Rudd, Iowa is 15 miles west of Charles City, Iowa.

Klunder's first victim recalls attack on her

Twenty-six years later, ELG, who now lives in Clear Lake, knows how close she might have come to death.. The attack was vicious.
She began to drag herself home, a few blocks away, bleeding. While her slacks had stayed in place, her breasts and chest were peppered with bruises. She said only two words to family members when she got home: “Gun” and “Klunder.

“I had somewhere between 90, 100 stitches,” she said. “Someone said I looked like an elderly person because there was so much bruising and blood.”

Klunder was taken into custody by juvenile authorities and eventually found guilty of a delinquent act, according to Globe Gazette files.

Klunder was sent to the Boys State Training School in Eldora, to Meyer Hall in Des Moines, to the Bremwood juvenile home in Waverly, and to the Mental Health Center in Cherokee.

http://thegazette.com/2013/05/23/dayton-abduction-suspects-1991-victim-speaks-out/
Dayton abduction suspect’s 1991 victim speaks out

Another kidnapping victim shares her nightmare experience with Michael Klunder

http://psychautopsy.weebly.com/organized-vs-disorganized.html
Organized vs. Disorganized

For the purpose of behavioral analysis, there are two distinct types of crime scenes: organized and disorganized. Each one presents unique insights into the psychology of the Unsub. Occasionally, a crime scene will present elements of both. As with any typing system, not 100% of offenders will fit 100% of the characteristics of the class they fall into. These categorizations are based on characteristics that present themselves in more than 3/4 of the criminals of each offender type.

Thanks for providing the link about the timeline. This was back in May before Kathlynn was found. I guess I need to find DH's statement again.

From your link I clicked on another link where they talked about the autopsy report.

The report shows Klunder died of suicide by hanging. He was found dead on the day of the abduction about four hours after the girls disappeared. He was found at a hog confinement building.

Earlier they said he was found dead in his house. Then they said he was found dead in his truck at his house on Taylor Avenue. This article says differently, but makes more sense if it was a building where he died by hanging. Is there a hog confinement building on Taylor Avenue? Could the building be behind the house?

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...rls/-/9357080/20229204/-/o6jgt0z/-/index.html

BBM - See Post 137 where I added the two hog pens owned by his brother-in-law -
they are located at: 3341 Union AVE & 3310 330TH ST (Lehigh, Webster County, IA)

mapquest kept asking me if I was sure when I entered 339 Taylor into the map (I don't think it exists) I also looked thru appraisal records and only found 4 digit addresses.
Now, looking at brother-in-laws property there is a taylor in this area - See new map. I included DH (the escape artist) location "D" - I suspect MJK either saw cop cars in that area upon his return, or returned & found her gone then saw cop cars & knew he was in trouble; & committed suicide (B) on Taylor.
Hogpens here are @ 3341 Union AVE (A) & 3310 330TH ST (C)
map: http://mapq.st/19Opxi9

published date: Jun 16, 2013

DH’s mother, also said the support from the Dayton community has been “overwhelming,” especially since the family just moved to the town in August.
... on May 20. Klunder took the girls to a hog confinement facility where he worked.

After weeks of searching for KS, her body was found in the Des Moines River under the Kate Shelley Bridge near Boone on June 7. (poor baby was gone a long time IMHO)

DH receiving counseling and "... expressing most of her feelings in a diary she received after the incident"

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/kathlynn
"One Day at a Time"

http://globegazette.com/news/local/...cle_b448708a-db89-11e2-bf27-0019bb2963f4.html

I know there was some focus to the fact that MK stayed in Bremwood but there were actually four facilities that he was in.
Boys State Training School in Eldora
Meyer Hall in Des Moines
Bremwood in Waverly
Mental Health Center in Cherokee (o/t but this place was a pioneer in the field of lobotomy's)
From the time line article above, he also choked a co-worker which was never reported.
So add another victim to the list. I still find it hard to believe this man was set free with little or no supervision.

http://globegazette.com/news/local/...cle_b448708a-db89-11e2-bf27-0019bb2963f4.html

I know there was some focus to the fact that MK stayed in Bremwood but there were actually four facilities that he was in.
Boys State Training School in Eldora
Meyer Hall in Des Moines
Bremwood in Waverly
Mental Health Center in Cherokee (o/t but this place was a pioneer in the field of lobotomy's)
From the time line article above, he also choked a co-worker which was never reported.
So add another victim to the list. I still find it hard to believe this man was set free with little or no supervision.

"Take an eyeopening tour of the Mental Health Center in Cherokee"

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...ders/-/9357080/21058302/-/t92qta/-/index.html

(IOWA) Facility holds state&#8217;s most dangerous sex offenders

Video Transcript
On Saturday, it will be two months since a man named Michael Klunder abducted two girls in Dayton. 12-year-old Dezi Huges managed to escape. But the body of Kathlynn Shepard was found about two weeks later. Klunder had a dark past, with prior kidnappings and prison stays to show for it. Last night at 10 Emily Price investigated how Klunder slipped through the cracks. Tonight, she takes us inside the high security treatment center for high-risk sex offenders -

WE HAVE INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE COMMITTED SEXUAL OFFENSES AGAINST CHILDREN, AGAINST ADULTS - SO WE HAVE A FULL RANGE OF SEXUAL OFFENSES. 10 FOR EACH PATIENT WHO IS HERE - IOWA TAXPAYERS WILL SPEND MORE THAN 77 THOUSAND DOLLARS A YEAR KEEPING THEM HERE.MUCH OF THAT IS SPENT ON TREATMENT.SOME MEN WILL SPEND UP TO 5 HOURS A DAY GETTING HELP. WE TRY TO CREATE A TREATMENT ENVIRONMENT. THE MEN HERE ARE CALLED PATIENTS, NOT PRISONERS AND IT'S SO PRIVATE WE WEREN'T ALLOWED WHERE THEY LIVE. IT'S DEFINITELY NOT TOP OF THE LINE EVERYTHING - BUT WE TRY TO CREATE A DORM-LIKE ENVIRONMENT WE STRIVE FOR IS TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A COLLEGE DORM, COUCHES AND CHAIRS, THEY HAVE A COMMON SEATING AREA, WITH ONE TV WHERE THEY SIT IN A GROUP AND WATCH TV. 19 HAND-PICKED OFFENDERS DEEMED THE MOST LIKELY TO REOFFEND HAVE BEEN COMING HERE SINCE 1999 AND IN THAT TIME ONLY 16 HAVE BEEN RELEASED INTO SOCIETY. THAT'S ROUGHLY 10 PERCENT OF ALL OFFENDERS WHO WALK THROUGH THE DOOR ACTUALLY WALK BACK OUT.

THE INDIVIDUALS WE HAVE HERE HAVE COMMITTED A LARGE NUMBER OF SEXUAL OFFENSES, WHICH MEANS THEY'VE IMPACTED A LOT OF PEOPLE, A LOT OF PEOPLE'S LIVES. 7 SMITH HESITATED EVEN DOING THIS INTERVIEW FOR FEAR IT WOULD RE- TRAUMATIZE VICTIMS. BUT HE DECIDED TO SIT DOWN FOR HIS FIRST TV INTERVIEW IN SOME 7 YEARSTO SHINE A LIGHT ON HOW THEY'RE HELPING OFFENDERS GET BETTER AND HOW, IN TURN, THEY'RE KEEPING IOWA SAFE.

MANY OF THE PEOPLE THAT ARE HERE HAVE SIGNIFICANT MENTAL HEALTH AND PSYCHIATRIC ISSUES, WHICH ALSO CONTRIBUTED TO THEIR SEXUAL OFFENDING. 21 IN ORDER TO GET OUT A PATIENT MUST BE EVALUATED BY THE COURTS. IT'S A DIFFICULT PROCESS WHICH INCLUDES PYSCH EVALUATIONS AND EVEN A POLYGRAPH.
WE HAVE QUITE A FEW OF THE ORIGINAL PEOPLE. MOST PEOPLE END UP STAYING FOREVER. SEVEN HAVE DIED HERE BEFORE THEY COULD GET OUT. BECAUSE HERE IT'S NOT A QUESTION OF A CUREIT'S HOW LIKELY ARE THEY TO REOFFEND. SO IT'S ABOUT MANAGEMENT, HOW DO THEY MANAGE AND NOT ABOUT A CURE.

HOW DO THEY MANAGE THOSE THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS AND BEHAVIORS, SOCIAL RELATIONSHIPS, ENVIRONMENTS THAT SET THE OCCASION FOR THEIR OFFENDING TO OCCUR?
HOW DO THEY MANAGE THAT SO FURTHER VICTIMIZATION DOESN'T OCCUR.BECAUSE THEY WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO BE VIGILANT SO THEY WON'T ENGAGE IN OTHER VICTIMIZATIONS.

SMITH SAYS PATIENTS HAVE HAD SETBACKS IN THEIR TREATMENT AND HAD TO START OVER A STEP OR TWO, BUT HE SAYS NO ONE HAS BEEN RELEASED AND THEN RE- OFFENDED.

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io.../21058302/-/t92qta/-/index.html#ixzz2nkGnSTYe
<Sniped - Read More>

"Take an eyeopening tour of the Mental Health Center in Cherokee"

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...ders/-/9357080/21058302/-/t92qta/-/index.html

(IOWA) Facility holds state’s most dangerous sex offenders

Video Transcript
On Saturday, it will be two months since a man named Michael Klunder abducted two girls in Dayton. 12-year-old Dezi Huges managed to escape. But the body of Kathlynn Shepard was found about two weeks later. Klunder had a dark past, with prior kidnappings and prison stays to show for it. Last night at 10 Emily Price investigated how Klunder slipped through the cracks. Tonight, she takes us inside the high security treatment center for high-risk sex offenders -

WE HAVE INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE COMMITTED SEXUAL OFFENSES AGAINST CHILDREN, AGAINST ADULTS - SO WE HAVE A FULL RANGE OF SEXUAL OFFENSES. 10 FOR EACH PATIENT WHO IS HERE - IOWA TAXPAYERS WILL SPEND MORE THAN 77 THOUSAND DOLLARS A YEAR KEEPING THEM HERE.MUCH OF THAT IS SPENT ON TREATMENT.SOME MEN WILL SPEND UP TO 5 HOURS A DAY GETTING HELP. WE TRY TO CREATE A TREATMENT ENVIRONMENT. THE MEN HERE ARE CALLED PATIENTS, NOT PRISONERS AND IT'S SO PRIVATE WE WEREN'T ALLOWED WHERE THEY LIVE. IT'S DEFINITELY NOT TOP OF THE LINE EVERYTHING - BUT WE TRY TO CREATE A DORM-LIKE ENVIRONMENT WE STRIVE FOR IS TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A COLLEGE DORM, COUCHES AND CHAIRS, THEY HAVE A COMMON SEATING AREA, WITH ONE TV WHERE THEY SIT IN A GROUP AND WATCH TV. 19 HAND-PICKED OFFENDERS DEEMED THE MOST LIKELY TO REOFFEND HAVE BEEN COMING HERE SINCE 1999 AND IN THAT TIME ONLY 16 HAVE BEEN RELEASED INTO SOCIETY. THAT'S ROUGHLY 10 PERCENT OF ALL OFFENDERS WHO WALK THROUGH THE DOOR ACTUALLY WALK BACK OUT.

THE INDIVIDUALS WE HAVE HERE HAVE COMMITTED A LARGE NUMBER OF SEXUAL OFFENSES, WHICH MEANS THEY'VE IMPACTED A LOT OF PEOPLE, A LOT OF PEOPLE'S LIVES. 7 SMITH HESITATED EVEN DOING THIS INTERVIEW FOR FEAR IT WOULD RE- TRAUMATIZE VICTIMS. BUT HE DECIDED TO SIT DOWN FOR HIS FIRST TV INTERVIEW IN SOME 7 YEARSTO SHINE A LIGHT ON HOW THEY'RE HELPING OFFENDERS GET BETTER AND HOW, IN TURN, THEY'RE KEEPING IOWA SAFE.

MANY OF THE PEOPLE THAT ARE HERE HAVE SIGNIFICANT MENTAL HEALTH AND PSYCHIATRIC ISSUES, WHICH ALSO CONTRIBUTED TO THEIR SEXUAL OFFENDING. 21 IN ORDER TO GET OUT A PATIENT MUST BE EVALUATED BY THE COURTS. IT'S A DIFFICULT PROCESS WHICH INCLUDES PYSCH EVALUATIONS AND EVEN A POLYGRAPH.
WE HAVE QUITE A FEW OF THE ORIGINAL PEOPLE. MOST PEOPLE END UP STAYING FOREVER. SEVEN HAVE DIED HERE BEFORE THEY COULD GET OUT. BECAUSE HERE IT'S NOT A QUESTION OF A CUREIT'S HOW LIKELY ARE THEY TO REOFFEND. SO IT'S ABOUT MANAGEMENT, HOW DO THEY MANAGE AND NOT ABOUT A CURE.

HOW DO THEY MANAGE THOSE THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS AND BEHAVIORS, SOCIAL RELATIONSHIPS, ENVIRONMENTS THAT SET THE OCCASION FOR THEIR OFFENDING TO OCCUR?
HOW DO THEY MANAGE THAT SO FURTHER VICTIMIZATION DOESN'T OCCUR.BECAUSE THEY WILL ALWAYS HAVE TO BE VIGILANT SO THEY WON'T ENGAGE IN OTHER VICTIMIZATIONS.

SMITH SAYS PATIENTS HAVE HAD SETBACKS IN THEIR TREATMENT AND HAD TO START OVER A STEP OR TWO, BUT HE SAYS NO ONE HAS BEEN RELEASED AND THEN RE- OFFENDED.

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io.../21058302/-/t92qta/-/index.html#ixzz2nkGnSTYe
<Sniped - Read More>

Out of the nineteen hand picked offenders who are most likely to re-offend, sixteen have been released. Passing thought, I wonder if any of those had ties to Readlyn or E-Dale.

I guess the part where he says that no one that has been released has re-offended is not true now after MK.

Out of the nineteen hand picked offenders who are most likely to re-offend, sixteen have been released. Passing thought, I wonder if any of those had ties to Readlyn or E-Dale.

I guess the part where he says that no one that has been released has re-offended is not true now after MK.

RE: I guess the part where he says that no one that has been released has re-offended is not true now after MK.

How many of the others released have re-offended? Polygraphs and psych interviews are not effective gauges of recidivism by psychopathic sexual predators, imo.

Yes, skeet, and ironically this info was known before the interview was conducted. Facility holds state’s most dangerous sex offenders-
July 19, 2013

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io.../21058302/-/t92qta/-/index.html#ixzz2nkaDZ6oP

"Their abductor, Michael Klunder, will not be a threat to any other children, having hung himself sometime between Dezi's escape and Kathlynn's murder. "

http://www.examiner.com/article/dezi-hughes-speaks-about-abduction-and-escape

BBM

Uh. . .that's impossible.

I know it's just an error, but that kind of stuff can be confusing, especially if the error isn't so glaringly obvious, kwim?

The article also says that DH escaped from the truck - not the office that we had also heard. Do we know which place was confirmed?

Trusting her gut, she also kept thinking that something wasn't right, and when their abductor got Kathlynn from the vehicle at the hog confinement he took them to, Dezi took the opportunity to escape.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back