Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Fitbit was sending data to the servers at that time. Fitbit's Bluetooth range is reported to be ~30 feet. What it the range of my Flex bluetooth? - Fitbit Community If they are driving away, that's an extremely short window.

Another reason to suspect that the Feds think this person has done it before and that they'll do it again. The amount of manpower going into this seems far beyond what you'd normally use for a one-off disappearance of a college student. This seems more like the response you'd expect if there were a string of similar cases along I-80.
Absolutely agree. I am wondering though if there is some other 'local' connection that brought the feds onboard other than MT? Could it be LE or govt official? Single MP cases don't generate this type of response IMO.

On
Did anybody else notice the original $2k reward was for “arrest and conviction” and the reward fund now is called “bring Mollie home safe”? And mom openly admits they’re trying to pay for her safe return, even says that an abductor can claim the reward if she’s set free?

I’m beginning to wonder if mom knows she’s alive, maybe even missing by her own choice and not returning home because she doesn’t want to face the inevitable backlash.
One reward was set up via LE and the big reward $ was privately funded by friends of the family and others.

If the Fitbit was sending data to the servers at that time. Fitbit's Bluetooth range is reported to be ~30 feet. What it the range of my Flex bluetooth? - Fitbit Community If they are driving away, that's an extremely short window.
A string of similar cases along I-80 was my first take on this, but then, I thought well, wouldn't the public know about this recent or no-so-recent rash of cases? There's a site (s) that tracks the missing along I-80 but I obv. won't post the link.

Another reason to suspect that the Feds think this person has done it before and that they'll do it again. The amount of manpower going into this seems far beyond what you'd normally use for a one-off disappearance of a college student. This seems more like the response you'd expect if there were a string of similar cases along I-80.

First comment try didn't include my comment. Weird. Anyway, that was my first take on this- perhaps a rash of recent cases much like hers along this corridor of the country. But then I thought, wouldn't the general public be made aware were that the case? I mean, maybe not, right? The pattern? Chilling. There's an LE website that actually tracks the missing cases along I-80, but for obvious reasons, I won't put the link. Gonna go look now to see if this may be (part of?) such a strong FBI presence so immediate. Things a general public doesn't know about the heartland.

A string of similar cases along I-80 was my first take on this, but then, I thought well, wouldn't the public know about this recent or no-so-recent rash of cases? There's a site (s) that tracks the missing along I-80 but I obv. won't post the link.

If you mean the suspected SK, there's a thread here: NV - I-80 Serial Killer?

While we were offline on this thread, I spent some time considering the question of the substantial federal resources being devoted to this case and the fact that the federal authorities showed up relatively quickly (and we haven't heard from them directly since they arrived). And, as soon as they showed up communication was essentially shut down, local searches and community involvement stopped and no strong statement was made about there being a 'clear and present danger in Brooklyn, Iowa and region'. Mmmm.

I know there are people on this site that have watched missing person cases for years and so maybe can chime in with how often Federal/FBI presence happened within a week of disappearance date for a single missing person, but I don't think this is at all a typical response to a MP case. Just look at all the MP threads on this website that get very little if any commentary, press coverage or follow through from even local officials. MT for whatever reason is a story that is now global. Sure the disappearance of single, white, 20 yr female jogging and vanishing into thin air is a nightmarish story that touches us all on so many levels and is a compelling story. But I don't think that the FBI shows up with 15+ agents and because of a single missing person and a compelling story?!

Federal resources are limited, sparingly dispersed across the country and they have a very specific mandate for the crimes that they work on. My sense after looking at some other cases they get involved in is that there is usually some larger case at hand (drugs network, human traffiking, mob, gang, prostitution, transportation etc. that crosses over state lines).

Perhaps the attraction of this case to them was the digital aspect as it gave them a way to 'test' their existing technology to find MT? But I think their interest in the case goes way beyond the tech aspects present even though I believe they were asked in by the locals to help with the technology part of the equation. But, it probably didn't take that long to handle the legal paperwork to get the data and to assess the data (3-5 days maybe?) given the resources they have in place. Something triggered the decision to deploy substantial resources to this case of a single missing person and keep them in place.

I DK what it is that attracted them to the case other than that MT is somehow a small (but maybe important piece) in a much larger case that somehow touches the region of Brooklyn/Iowa/Surrounding States or that the person or persons involved in the case are themselves part of law enforcement at some level (this issue falls to FBI for investigation). There are so many unanswered questions so far that might get answered in time or might not? But it seems highly unusual to me for a single missing person to generate this level of federal attention and resources. I agree with others on this thread that there is likely a local connection of some sort associated with the disappearance of MT but I can't help but believe there is a bigger issue/case at play here that we just aren't privy to at this stage. I am glad the federal authorities are here and I hope they find MT!

You make such a good point. I've also been curious ( and extremely pleased) why Mollie's case has such a profound LE presence. I just read this article today:

August 5, 2018

"A spokesperson from the state’s Division of Criminal Investigation added that investigators have even pulled resources from other cases, directing them to the search for the 20-year-old University of Iowa student, saying the case has become their main priority."
snip
“Investigators from the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office, the FBI, the Division of Criminal Investigation. There are an average 30 to 40 working this case a day,” said Winker.

Mollie Tibbetts investigators following 'hundreds' of leads, authorities say

Their main priority!!

A known SA offered to make a plea in the Bobo case and he had no involvement, tho he was a creep. :(
Marshals official says sex offender offered to make plea in Holly Bobo case
{Walker said he told Britt that investigators believed he had kidnapped and harmed Bobo, and disposed of her belongings. Walker said Britt told him "sounds like you have it all figured out" and that he would "plead to it."
Walker did not elaborate on charges to which Britt said he would plead guilty. Walker said he gave the information to the TBI.
Britt's home and property had been searched and his phones and home had been under surveillance as part of the Bobo case, but he was never charged in her abduction and he was in jail on a separate charge when Walker interviewed him. Britt is a convicted sex offender stemming from an earlier case.}
He didn't do it.

And just IMHO when the FBI pulls investigators off other cases and makes another one their "main priority" they are quietly telling us something. I'm probably wrong, but it seems rather clear to me.

Did anybody else notice the original $2k reward was for “arrest and conviction” and the reward fund now is called “bring Mollie home safe”? And mom openly admits they’re trying to pay for her safe return, even says that an abductor can claim the reward if she’s set free?

I’m beginning to wonder if mom knows she’s alive, maybe even missing by her own choice and not returning home because she doesn’t want to face the inevitable backlash.

There wouldn't be a reason for LE to be involved if Mollie was missing by her own choice and they had determined that. Those resources would be deployed to other cases. I can't imagine Mollie's family wouldn't be honest with LE, especially the FBI, if they had any reason to think Mollie left of her own accord.

I don't think the family knows anything, including her mom. It's very common for families to hold out for hope and a belief their loved one is still alive until such time as a body is found. This is really pretty standard stuff -- behavior, wording, actions.

If LE is involved this many weeks in then there is no evidence that this is anything but an abduction or a crime or the missing person was in danger.

Victoria Secrect has their own line of clothes and accessories called PINK. It’s very possible LE was putting the driscription out there as if Mollie was wearing a PINK (brand of clothing) sports top but actually black in color. Again, only the perp would know the difference. MOO.

It's not letting me quote "JoJoJo" but I can address the FBI stuff in relation to my family's case. The FBI have to be called in by local jurisdication. They are called in as they have many more resources than local LE. Their investigators, their labs, their computer experts, etc. In Mollie's case, local LE waited 6 days to call in the FBI. Personally, I think that was a huge error.
In Ce's case. FBI was called in immediately by local sheriff. They were on scene within 24 hours of her missing, in force. Within 24 hours, there were numerous LE agencies on site. Local Sheriff, Michigan State Police, Ohio State Police, Metamora/Fulton County Sheriff, Lucas County Sheriff, Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, FBI, Toledo police, Oregon police, all the outlying Police forces in the area sent officers to help. I couldn't even tell you the number of LE that was onsite helping on her case. We received her cell phone and fitbit info within 24 hours of her going missing.
It all depends on local LE/whose jurisdiction it is, and who THEY decide to ask for help. That has been my understanding.
Great to hear you got all this assistance. Its good to hear that your local's called in for help and you got resources for your case. I agree with you about the 6 day waiting period in this case and to me this is suspicious. Especially if it turns out a member of local LE is somehow sadly involved with this tragic situation.

B54633BE-0C55-403B-9F3A-0D6AF9EA8ADA.jpeg

The reward for the safe return of a missing Iowa college student has ballooned to $260,000.

Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa said Sunday that relatives of 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts believe she’s alive but has potentially been kidnapped. Spokesman Greg Willey says the family hopes the reward money will lead to her return.

The University of Iowa student went missing on July 18 from her small hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa.

$260,000 Reward Offered for Return of Missing University of Iowa Student

The reward in Mollie’s case has reached $260,000 dollars if you know something please say something. Please call the tip line 1-800-452-1111 or 515-223-1400.

It's actually pretty common for the "feds" (aka regional FBI resources) to assist in a missing person case. They most assuredly do get involved when their resources can be of assistance. I've seen it dozens of times over the years. I'd be more surprised if they didn't assist in some way.

I have a question... We've all seen that WC had his home searched, along with the assertion that it was voluntary and without a warrant... But, I've also read that he no longer owns the property, that he sold out years ago... So, the property that was searched, is it his, or did the actual owner of the property grant LE the okay to search it without a warrant..?

I wonder who knew she was in that house alone? Did her boyfriend tell any of his friends? Does a neighbor know? These are all possibilities.

It seems obvious that any neighbor living within sight of the house 'could' know if they wanted to. All they'd have to do is glance over there to see that the other housemates trucks and construction equipment were gone.

There wouldn't be a reason for LE to be involved if Mollie was missing by her own choice and they had determined that. Those resources would be deployed to other cases. I can't imagine Mollie's family wouldn't be honest with LE, especially the FBI, if they had any reason to think Mollie left of her own accord.

I don't think the family knows anything, including her mom. It's very common for families to hold out for hope and a belief their loved one is still alive until such time as a body is found. This is really pretty standard stuff -- behavior, wording, actions.

If LE is involved this many weeks in then there is no evidence that this is anything but an abduction or a crime or the missing person was in danger.
Correct, but until LE establishes that it would be bad logic to assume it therefore must be an abduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daniellelacy