Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes exactly!! When's the last time we've seen LE say they won't release a timeline publicly? WEIRD!! So now JT is the last one to see Mollie at 5:30 PM?
With a more accurate time line law enforcement will now know who they have to re-interview. It will now come down to the person(s) that time-boxed themselves into something that doesn't fit. For the individuals that law enforcement hasn't spoken with yet they don't want them knowing what is or isn't possible based on time line. And, of course, it will allow law enforcement to better evaluate tips and leads that come in.

Ok this implies he passed out while on his phone. And he didn’t reply to her... so he was presumably in bed, spending time on his phone but not talking to her? Meanwhile she was at his house alone.... they would definitely be messaging if that was the case and there would have been more snaps than her simply sending him a goodnight selfie. That he somehow saw and yet was so tired fell asleep with his phone on his face and couldn’t reply.

Something isn’t adding up here.

I'm not understanding what you're saying. He implied a conversation back and forth. He was in bed. He fell asleep before he replied to her last message. What's odd about that?

Is there anything to state they weren't chatting/texting back and forth?

First time posting- I also began following this site when Sydney Loofe went missing as that was local for me. I am the same age as her so it was terrifying and continues to be so scary. Came here to read the discussion on Mollie when a missing poster for her popped up on my Facebook a few days ago. I typically just lurk but I keep seeing the Snapchat caption thing come up (not going to quote, too many posts). I had a few things to add-
First, I have an aunt who is obsessed with SC and my cousins (who all happen to live in small town Iowa) are as well. I probably receive easily 15 snaps (videos/selfies/random photos with captions) a day from them and it gets to the point where I often click thru and don't pay much more than a one second glance at them. My aunt recently barraged me at a wedding for not snapping her enough to keep a streak or stay on her best friend's list, which is simply a list of people you snap with most often that only you can see. It is not like a Myspace top 10 or anything like that to prove a friendship or relationship status. So, given what BF's mom said re him not being into social media and them exchanging silly back and forths to move him up on her list, I would wager a guess that he was a little bit "over it" or just not paying much attention to the last snap (the pre-10 pm goodnigbt snap) that night after he got done with work.
Also, I would barely remember my last snap to my BF or anyone else, let alone what they said to me. Not suspicious to me at all (and doesn't lead me to believe he is hiding an argument) that he isn't providing word for word what she said. It is not the place where I, or anyone I know, discusses important things or argues. Most women in my age range (early 20s) would not argue over Snap, we would send texts so we could re-read and/or screenshot without our boyfriend knowing if we wanted to. ;) Snapchat deletes the messages after you close the conversation if you do not swipe and save the messages in the chat and alerts the other person if you screenshot anything.
Sorry for the wall of text, especially if everyone has moved on since I started typing.
I don't know what happened to Mollie, but it sounds like it could be any number of worst case scenarios I've been afraid of happening to me while alone and house and dog sitting for my own friends and family. If I was missing I would want my family to act just like hers is and keep the integrity of the investigation. I know I would also be glad to have as many people discussing my case however much they did/didn't know in a respectful way (like on this forum). Back to lurking!

Wow!! Do not lurk!! Very intelligent post. You made a lot of sense and it's great to hear from someone who is part of Mollie's demographic.

I think it's better than that JW4, someone has already boxed themselves in ...
It is possible that is the case. Many of the early interviews would be of the information gathering type. At this point I expect the interviews are more of the interrogation masquerading as a refining information type as I don't think law enforcement is at a point where they can be certain of a suspect to conduct a straight out interrogation. For me, at the moment, I am more inclined to think the perpetrator is a female.

First time posting- I also began following this site when Sydney Loofe went missing as that was local for me. I am the same age as her so it was terrifying and continues to be so scary. Came here to read the discussion on Mollie when a missing poster for her popped up on my Facebook a few days ago. I typically just lurk but I keep seeing the Snapchat caption thing come up (not going to quote, too many posts). I had a few things to add-
First, I have an aunt who is obsessed with SC and my cousins (who all happen to live in small town Iowa) are as well. I probably receive easily 15 snaps (videos/selfies/random photos with captions) a day from them and it gets to the point where I often click thru and don't pay much more than a one second glance at them. My aunt recently barraged me at a wedding for not snapping her enough to keep a streak or stay on her best friend's list, which is simply a list of people you snap with most often that only you can see. It is not like a Myspace top 10 or anything like that to prove a friendship or relationship status. So, given what BF's mom said re him not being into social media and them exchanging silly back and forths to move him up on her list, I would wager a guess that he was a little bit "over it" or just not paying much attention to the last snap (the pre-10 pm goodnigbt snap) that night after he got done with work.
Also, I would barely remember my last snap to my BF or anyone else, let alone what they said to me. Not suspicious to me at all (and doesn't lead me to believe he is hiding an argument) that he isn't providing word for word what she said. It is not the place where I, or anyone I know, discusses important things or argues. Most women in my age range (early 20s) would not argue over Snap, we would send texts so we could re-read and/or screenshot without our boyfriend knowing if we wanted to. ;) Snapchat deletes the messages after you close the conversation if you do not swipe and save the messages in the chat and alerts the other person if you screenshot anything.
Sorry for the wall of text, especially if everyone has moved on since I started typing.
I don't know what happened to Mollie, but it sounds like it could be any number of worst case scenarios I've been afraid of happening to me while alone and house and dog sitting for my own friends and family. If I was missing I would want my family to act just like hers is and keep the integrity of the investigation. I know I would also be glad to have as many people discussing my case however much they did/didn't know in a respectful way (like on this forum). Back to lurking!

Welcome to Websleuths Indy94 thank you for joining us. Thank you also for caring about Mollie and posting your valuable thoughts on the case.

It is possible that is the case. Many of the early interviews would be of the information gathering type. At this point I expect the interviews are more of the interrogation masquerading as a refining information type as I don't think law enforcement is at a point where they can be certain of a suspect to conduct a straight out interrogation. For me, at the moment, I am more inclined to think the perpetrator is a female.

Hi Jethro4 what do you think the motive could be for the perp to be female? It’s an angle I hadn’t considered.

Hi Jethro4 what do you think the motive could be for the perp to be female? It’s an angle I hadn’t considered.
At the moment I can't discount the fact that there is a likely pricey and almost certainly non-refundable destination wedding in the very near future. Some event (real or perceived) that would/could cause the wedding not to go forward would be motive. It could all be just coincidence and happenstance but I can't discount it at the moment.

Interesting you mention Sydney Loofe. The media in the midwest has tried to link her case to human trafficking and online dating and her family believes this may be possible.
"Sydney went on a Tinder date -- so common, something so typical," Olson said.

Yet, according to Olson, these dating apps are also a common way for traffickers find their next victims.

"We want (people) to know how to protect themselves, how to stay safe and social media is a huge piece of that," Olson said. "(Sex trafficking is) about relationship building and what better place to build a relationship than on social media?"

Olson said people should research their potential date, always tell friends where they're going and who they're with and download a tracking device on their phone.

"Do some due diligence because it's a dangerous world out there," Olson said.

Organization creates scholarship in memory of Sydney Loofe

I'm not understanding what you're saying. He implied a conversation back and forth. He was in bed. He fell asleep before he replied to her last message. What's odd about that?

Is there anything to state they weren't chatting/texting back and forth?

What I find odd about the boyfriend
saying "I woke up with the phone on
my face," in the Des Moine Register
Article titled What The Boyfriend
Said About The Last Message; is the
last tweet/retweet on Mollie Tibbetts
Twiitter account is about your
boyfriend dropping his phone on your
face while you are napping.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.
desmoineregister.com/amp/829543002
*Just seemed like an odd coincidence.

Last edited:
Interesting you mention Sydney Loofe. The media in the midwest has tried to link her case to human trafficking and online dating and her family believes this may be possible.
"Sydney went on a Tinder date -- so common, something so typical," Olson said.

Yet, according to Olson, these dating apps are also a common way for traffickers find their next victims.

"We want (people) to know how to protect themselves, how to stay safe and social media is a huge piece of that," Olson said. "(Sex trafficking is) about relationship building and what better place to build a relationship than on social media?"

Olson said people should research their potential date, always tell friends where they're going and who they're with and download a tracking device on their phone.

"Do some due diligence because it's a dangerous world out there," Olson said.

Organization creates scholarship in memory of Sydney Loofe

From the scholarship site: "We don’t know yet if Sydney’s tragedy was due to a trafficking incident, but we do believe that the public needs to be more aware of trafficking activities that are taking place and know how to quickly and safely react to them."
My understanding is that in Sydney's case, given that it seems she was lured by Boswell (the female tinder date) for the purpose of "giving" her to Trail to use for his own disturbing, depraved purposes (who knows if he filmed things with intent to sell or if he had intended to force her to do other things for him before he admittedly ended up killing her). Wild speculation, but given how arrogant he is and how the two of them are criminals & con artists out to make money in illegal ways, it would not be surprising to me if there was some element of forced prostitution surrounding that case even if her actual murder was premeditated.
To be clear- I do not think there is anything similar about Mollie's case to Sydney's. Definitely do not suspect human trafficking for Mollie. I only brought up Sydney because she is how I got started here.

Also thanks guys for the warm welcome.

Hello. First time posting on WS - I only discovered this site a couple of weeks ago and have been hooked since.
I'm in the UK but have been following Mollie's case from the beginning as news of her disappearance was even featured on our evening news last week.
I hope she is found safe but I am beginning to doubt this as it's been a week.
I hate to point the finger of suspicion at her bf but I know statistically a stranger abduction is very rare.
What also rang an alarm bell for me was her mum saying that she wanted to get her boyfriend back to the top of her sc list. This is odd for me as the only people who would know where he was on the list is mollie herself and anyone else who had seen her phone when open to sc. So if she had shared this information with him or he had viewed her phone. It seems to tie in with a jealousy motive for me especially with her tweets about relationships before.
It's hard for me to speculate on the LE wording of statements as the laws in the US are so different from here - but I do believe they have a suspect in mind and are therefore deliberately not releasing further information as to try and box the suspect in further.
I hope I am wrong - but I dont get a suicide feeling from this - and I work in mental health.

Boyfriend 0%
Boyfriend's family 0%
Mollie's family 0%
Left of own accord 0%
Suicide 0%
Male acquaintance 70%
Not known male 25%
Well known male 5%
Considering it's only hours short of one week that Mollie disappeared, I'd say LE has already obtained and studied the GPS/pings of all cell phones (family, Bf, friends), and confirmed whether everybody was where they said they were.
YES! If the boyfriend lied to the FBI about his alibi, it would be known by now and he'd be in jail. He's not in jail. Mollie's snapchats to him are inconsequential in her disappearance. The boyfriend is not a criminal mastermind who has fooled the FBI and Iowa State Police.

The FBI is rounding up local RSOs, RSOs visiting family members in that county, transients (the fair is in the next town), transients and RSO at Holiday Lake (a few miles away-people vacationing at the lake drive into Brooklyn for supplies), addicts who burglarize homes, domestic violence creeps who hang out in bars in Brooklyn, males with violent backgrounds that work at the rural co-op next door, and any violence men who have worked for the brother's construction company at one time. Brothers may have accidentally hired a predator who was a roofer, tile-layer, sheet rocker, painter and etc.. It's likely many males came to that home over the years to pick up payments or supplies and met Mollie.

Last edited:
Boyfriend 0%
Boyfriend's family 0%
Mollie's family 0%
Left of own accord 0%
Suicide 0%
Male acquaintance 70%
Not known male 25%
Well known male 5%

YES! If the boyfriend lied to the FBI about his alibi, it would be known by now and he'd be in jail. He's not in jail. Mollie's snapchats to him are inconsequential in her disappearance.

The FBI has not arrested the boyfriend. He's not a criminal mastermind who has fooled them. The FBI is rounding up RSO, RSO visiting family members in that county, transients (the fair is in the next town), transients at Holiday Lake, domestic violence arrestees who hang out in bars in Brooklyn, domestic violence arrestees who have worked for the brother's construction company at one time. Brothers may have hired a roofer, tile-layer, sheet rocker, etc... who was a violent predator, but not known this when they hired him. This predator may have come in contact with Mollie while living at "headquarters" of the construction company. It's likely many subcontractors came to that home to pick up payments or supplies.
Have passed through Brooklyn (have actually texted 'greetings from Brooklyn' when getting gas here to NYC friends.) The gas stations along 1-80 are full of people passing through. I always have my guard up.
Reading through info posted so far, it just isn't clear what happened but I hope we can refrain from accusing family members. As G-slingin Granny points out, lots of other possibilities.

Hello. First time posting on WS - I only discovered this site a couple of weeks ago and have been hooked since.
I'm in the UK but have been following Mollie's case from the beginning as news of her disappearance was even featured on our evening news last week.
I hope she is found safe but I am beginning to doubt this as it's been a week.
I hate to point the finger of suspicion at her bf but I know statistically a stranger abduction is very rare.
What also rang an alarm bell for me was her mum saying that she wanted to get her boyfriend back to the top of her sc list. This is odd for me as the only people who would know where he was on the list is mollie herself and anyone else who had seen her phone when open to sc. So if she had shared this information with him or he had viewed her phone. It seems to tie in with a jealousy motive for me especially with her tweets about relationships before.
It's hard for me to speculate on the LE wording of statements as the laws in the US are so different from here - but I do believe they have a suspect in mind and are therefore deliberately not releasing further information as to try and box the suspect in further.
I hope I am wrong - but I dont get a suicide feeling from this - and I work in mental health.

Welcome to Websleuths Coconutmilk! Thank you for joining us and sharing your thoughts on Mollie’s case.

At the moment I can't discount the fact that there is a likely pricey and almost certainly non-refundable destination wedding in the very near future. Some event (real or perceived) that would/could cause the wedding not to go forward would be motive. It could all be just coincidence and happenstance but I can't discount it at the moment.
IMO, I wonder if Mollie was hoping her boyfriend would have proposed after 3 years of dating if he hadn't already done so. It appears the boyfriend has been quite cooperative with LE. From Mollie's twitter public posts, IMO, Social Media and the online apps may play into factor Mollie's disappearance. I am not on Snapchat nor do I do twitter posts, and IMO, it appears retweets and Snapchat status and life storytelling is popular amongst Mollie and her social media friends. Mollie's boyfriend on the other hand seems to be more private and less into social media. IMO, it's interesting to see Mollie's twitter public posts of multiple screenshots of texts between Mollie and her boyfriend- it's like she's storytelling her relationship for social media validation on some level.
Perhaps the night of Mollie's disapperance, Mollie had seeked a ride from a friend or one of those smartphone app driver for hire to visit her boyfriend and something happened during the drive? Afterall, her boyfriend had not responded to a Snapchat she sent until the next morning via text from what I read.
IMO, the boyfriend could have been exhausted from work, and not unreasonable for him to fall asleep or wake up with his cellphone near his face, especially with a girlfriend who, IMO, may have like communicating via electronic devices and via social media chats often.
IMO, she could have confided in or offered support for a male friend of hers that night and something happened to cause her to disappear for possibly a short time. Perhaps a friend needed her shoulder to cry on. Afterall, per "MOLLIE'S FAMILY: 'She hated to be sad and hated others to be sad'"
IMO, it's interesting her cellphone was not found at the home she was last seen in, so IMO, she does not appear to be abducted from her home or that of the dog sitting place she was at.
IMO, it's interesting the boyfriend did not know where Mollie took her last Snapchat photo- "inside a house"- perhaps Mollie was partying at a friend's house that night?
IMO, I wish this be all some Psychology major study or social media retweet experiment and she comes home unharmed, but in reality that may not be the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member