Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It just surprises me. As in, I didn't think that is what people would think. That's all.
Voluntary disappearance is always the first thought when people vanish, I think, as it's usually what transpired. The majority of disappearances are voluntary, etc.

Sadly, I’m still waiting for Bryce Laspisa to be found. I followed his case from day one with heart and soul. I don’t live far from his family and helped search. He was the same age as my son at the time and a college student as well so I felt it could be my son. It’s so heartbreaking.

Oh great. Now I’m going to go look that case up and get sucked into it. Lauren speirer was another college kid that vanished and has never been found too.

This case has really led me to reconsider my approach to managing my online footprint (and my kids). For as long as I have had the means to create a digital footprint, the goal has always been to maintain privacy to the greatest extent available. It’s occured to me that if I were to vanish today, getting the necessary info to track my locations would be a nightmare for LE and a lot of valuable time would be spent to do so. This is because I have always meticulously managed my privacy settings on all devices in addition to safeguarding my passwords to the greatest extent possible. Obviously, the same is true for my teenagers and their devices. Although sharing passwords amongst family members is a start, is if there isn’t a better way?

What I’m trying to say is I wonder if we should strive to find that balance between maintaining online privacy while still allowing for crucial info to be available to LE as soon as possible in the event of an unthinkable. Does that balance even exist?

My 17 year old son has had all of my private info since he was about 14. He is the ONLY person on this earth that I absolutely trust with my life!

Voluntary disappearance is always the first thought when people vanish, I think, as it's usually what transpired. The majority of disappearances are voluntary, etc.

Thanks. I know. But, what I was saying is I expected everyone to assume that this was some crazed serial killer who took Mollie unexpectedly. As opposed to thinking that this is someone she knows and they turned on her when she left willingly. I'm not saying I think it's a stranger, I think she knew them too, I am just stating that I am surprised that most share this opinion.

I’m going to go on a couple rants today so please bear with me... and first I’d like to address us.

I follow Facebook groups and Reddit, I don’t mind that much of it’s absolute garbage because I know that up front. But seriously, this is getting out of hand and I think some introspection would be appropriate at this point.

My tipping point came yesterday when the story broke about possibly the last person to see Mollie jogging. I don’t know why this came to a head yesterday, he reported that weeks ago. But now this guy is being treated with suspicion? His daughters hide in the house terrified while reporters pound on his door? People are digging as much dirt as they can and treating him with suspicion? What?

Brooklyn is a very nice little community. It’s safe, friendly and a great place to raise a family. Even if something terrible did happen to Mollie it’s disgusting how her friends, family and community are being torn apart by baseless accusations. These people are hurting, they care about Mollie more than you do. Please, show them respect and curtesy. Respect their privacy. Stand with this community. We’re better than this.

Thanks. I know. But, what I was saying is I expected everyone to assume that this was some crazed serial killer who took Mollie unexpectedly. As opposed to thinking that this is someone she knows and they turned on her when she left willingly. I'm not saying I think it's a stranger, I think she knew them too, I am just stating that I am surprised that most share this opinion.
Gotcha. Me too.

I’m going to go on a couple rants today so please bear with me... and first I’d like to address us.

I follow Facebook groups and Reddit, I don’t mind that much of it’s absolute garbage because I know that up front. But seriously, this is getting out of hand and I think some introspection would be appropriate at this point.

My tipping point came yesterday when the story broke about possibly the last person to see Mollie jogging. I don’t know why this came to a head yesterday, he reported that weeks ago. But now this guy is being treated with suspicion? His daughters hide in the house terrified while reporters pound on his door? People are digging as much dirt as they can and treating him with suspicion? What?

Brooklyn is a very nice little community. It’s safe, friendly and a great place to raise a family. Even if something terrible did happen to Mollie it’s disgusting how her friends, family and community are being torn apart by baseless accusations. These people are hurting, they care about Mollie more than you do. Please, show them respect and curtesy. Respect their privacy. Stand with this community. We’re better than this.
I agree. These people should be thanked and then left alone.

I keep coming back in my mind to the fact that the dogs were found in the basement with "plenty of food and water". I wonder what is meant by "plenty". Enough for a day, several days, or enough to make it obvious they hadn't been hastily put back there?

I don’t get it either. That guy offered up info and now people are flipping out. No wonder nobody ever wants to come forward!

I have 2 potential theories apart from stranger abduction... which I pray is not the case.

1) Mollie was a psych major that seemingly had a lot of compassion for those struggling with mental illness. Maybe during her run or after her run, someone in need contacted her or showed up where she was. They could have been suicidal/claimed to be suicidal, and she may have gone with them willingly in an attempt to help. If this is the case, I pray this person shows the same compassion Mollie showed and ends this.

2) Could the family possibly have received any sort of ransom? LE may or may not know about this. Maybe some family members know and others do not? But it would explain the extreme reward and the family's focus on it. I would explain why it was announced at just 2k... to show the kidnapper that they were working towards getting the money. I know this is far-fetched... but it was just a thought.

1) This is a very likely possibility. I am on board here.

2) I have also explored this option, it could explain the lack of information, many speculate that LE is trying "not to scare someone off. " Either way, if this is the case, I think LE, specifically the FBI is involved.

Such a small town, you would think with all the investigators and FBI they could interview almost everyone there! I am still concerned about the neighbors on her route to her mother's house. I believe she did try to go there and someone offered her a ride while she was enroute.

Does anyone know for sure if the local LE in this case called the FBI in? I think this is the way it usually works unless there is something going on in the case where FBI has jurisdiction. I just don't seem to recall seeing whether LE called them in or not.
Thanks!

There is always a chain of command. Local LE likely consult with the county, then the state. There are limits to jurisdiction. As someone said once "If you moon James Comey he can't arrest you (the FBI director at the time)".

Further, the feds are interested in violations of federal law. Being a republic the states have independence in these things, unless a federal law is violated. So if the FBI are involved there has to be strong strong suspicion of a federal law violated.

I am not sure there is any reason that the public need to know the name of a witness.
LE knows who came forward.
Why do we need to know their name?

I also think that interviews with media are an absolute no no
You know they are going to run with it

I just want to throw in a quick little note as we are all sleuthing here (to the best of our ability with what we've got) that us not knowing the evidence isn't the same as there being no evidence. I agree that it's enticing to think "she disappeared without a trace" but for all we know there are a thousand traces. LE has given us nothing, so we're all picturing her just gone with a gust of wind in her wake.

MOO.

I've got a question. What would happen if the local, presiding LE agency suspected that one of their own might be involved in a case like this? Would they be tasked with essentially "policing themselves" or would an outside agency such as the FBI be called in to handle the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megaera