Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. That's absolutely true. And the victims are primarily poor and/or black and/or runaways and/or from seriously dysfunctional families and/or have drug/alcohol problems and/or they suffer serious mental issues like bi polar disorder, schizophrenia and personality disorders. Women and girls with histories of dysfunction and instability.

Not middle class, functional college girls.

I get what you're saying but you have to stop saying that it doesn't happen to white girls from good families. It does. It HAS. I gave you an example. It is NOT a myth. A myth means "false belief". It is NOT false. It may not happen a lot..but it DOES happen.

from your link:

“It’s been described to me as a massive amount of data that’s coming in from our search warrants,” he said. “And we have no real time frame as to how long it will take to sort through all of it, but it is going to take some time.”

about the search of the hog containment..

Mortvedt said a number of officers and FBI agents responded to the property and thoroughly searched the area using manpower and dogs, “but the search was fruitless.”

From what little I know about FITBIT, it needs to sync with your device (phone) to give you the data. Like blue tooth speakers, you need to be within so many feet for it to work. So even if her fitbit is still charged, LE won't be able to get any current data unless they actually have the fitbit in hand and download the data. It isn't like they can log in somewhere and pinpoint where she is. The news is rather misleading as to fitbit leading them to her location.

Are there any fitbit users here that can add info?
I know with the newer fit bits you can track your fit bit if you have lost it through your find my iPhone app... or you could use any PC and log into iCloud then find my iPhone account . It would have to be set up this way and unsure if she has a Mac or iPhone.

The company who owns Fitbit would have access to the data. They needed a search warrant to obtain that.
I don't think they would if it's one of the older ones and hasn't synced to her phone. Once they get the actual Fitbit they would have access to it, but it's just stored on the device until it syncs.

No of course not. But just because they said they got permission to search doesn’t mean they didn’t also have warrants. And just because they searched the hog farm and a few other places doesn’t mean the owners of these places would be the perp.
Right. I think the pig farm was being looked at more as a dumping ground, not suspicious of anyone there.

from your link:

about the search of the hog containment..

I’m glad law enforcement are being upfront about the searches and whether anything was found. I do think farms, land with out buildings etc locally should be searched. I’m glad Mollie wasn’t found but also want her to be found if that makes sense. Her family must be going through hell.

From what little I know about FITBIT, it needs to sync with your device (phone) to give you the data. Like blue tooth speakers, you need to be within so many feet for it to work. So even if her fitbit is still charged, LE won't be able to get any current data unless they actually have the fitbit in hand and download the data. It isn't like they can log in somewhere and pinpoint where she is. The news is rather misleading as to fitbit leading them to her location.

I wear a Charge 2. It’s doesnt have a GPS in it as far as I know so I’m not sure how they are using it to help find her. It’s a glorified pedometer with a heart rate monitor. It’s linked to my phone to get all the info but it doesn’t have to be if you didn’t want to keep track. If the find it it would tell when she stopped running/walking and the heartbeat monitor would tell you some info.

Because I would like to know if I’m being tracked I thought I would give it a google. She may have used hers in the gps feature. I’ll have to try it next time I go hiking.
Fitbit Help - Does my Fitbit device have GPS?

I'm really confused by this too. Say I put my FitBit on in the morning and it's at 1,500 steps. If I walk 10,000 more steps that day, my FitBit APP won't show that until I open the app from my Iphone and give it a few seconds (sometimes longer!) to sync up. Then the FitBit app jumps up to 11,500 steps. This goes with all other data too. If they don't have her actual FitBit, they're logging into a FitBit dashboard or FitBit app. Right?! Now I'm just confusing myself. Am I missing something?

I’m curious how they can clear people when she hasn’t been found and there’s is no evidence to clear them from?

From FitBit...

INFORMATION WE RECEIVE FROM YOUR USE OF OUR SERVICES DEVICE INFORMATION

Your device collects data to estimate a variety of metrics like the number of steps you take, your distance traveled, calories burned, weight, heart rate, sleep stages, active minutes, and location. The data collected varies depending on which device you use. Learn more about the features of our various devices and how you can use MobileTrack. When your device syncs with our applications or software, data recorded on your device is transferred from your device to our servers.

LOCATION INFORMATION
The Services include features that use precise location data, including GPS signals, device sensors, Wi-Fi access points, and cell tower IDs. We collect this type of data if you grant us access to your location. You can always remove our access using your Fitbit device or mobile device settings. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.

USAGE INFORMATION
When you access or use our Services, we receive certain usage data. This includes information about your interaction with the Services, for example, when you view or search content, install applications or software, create or log into your account, pair your device to your account, or open or interact with an application on your Fitbit device.

We also collect data about the devices and computers you use to access the Services, including IP addresses, browser type, language, operating system, Fitbit or mobile device information (including device and application identifiers), the referring web page, pages visited, location (depending on the permissions you have granted us), and cookie information.

Fitbit Legal - Privacy Policy

I get what you're saying but you have to stop saying that it doesn't happen to white girls from good families. It does. It HAS. I gave you an example. It is NOT a myth. A myth means "false belief". It is NOT false. It may not happen a lot..but it DOES happen.

Probably O/T and I don't think this is what's happened here, but girls of Mollie's demographic ARE targeted, lured online, at colleges, befriended at their place of employment, at school, at the mall... The grooming process is long and the pimps are patient. Shared Hope International is, in my opinion, a good source of information. The book or video "Renting Lacy" and "Chosen" are heartbreaking, but true stories. Maybe not dragged off the street during a jog, but "white girls" from solid families with good educations are absolutely targeted and lured into sex trafficking.

I know with the newer fit bits you can track your fit bit if you have lost it through your find my iPhone app... or you could use any PC and log into iCloud then find my iPhone account . It would have to be set up this way and unsure if she has a Mac or iPhone.

From everything I'm reading, the fitbit has to be within bluetooth range. 100 ft or so. You could possibly find it if you lost it in your backyard. Could you please link me to an article so I can be sure? tia

Well she did have her phone with her (probably - it is missing as well), so it's conceivable that it was set to autosync at regular intervals so they could have some data available from after she went missing. Once that connection was lost, eg. with her phone battery running out, they wouldn't get any new data until they can sync the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill