Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:) So funny!

I tried replying and using my phone emojis and it left a weird symbol. Still getting a hang of this site.

Ive has this blasted “SMART PHONE” fir over 2.5 years. And yes it’s smarter than me who took the first basic and Cobol language programming classes way back in the 1980s to understand computers. After the realization hit that computers were going to have a huge impact on life, my kids were raised with them.

However, I still read real books although I have a kindle for travel. I have a spinal cord stimulator implant that controls my back. And that’s controlled from an I Pad I carry. Just going to the market I have contact with 3 personal devices. And I am grateful for each. I’ve named my gps “sally” and yes I speak to her. Harshly at times.

I print some research, still mail letters and notes. I am reduced to writing a few checks a month. I admit I am the last generation to do so.

I remember the rotary dial and every phone number we ever had.

NOTE: My grandmother did the same with her microwave oven. She wanted to take it into assisted living with her in the 1990’s after she had used a wood stove every day if her life.

All of us “older” sleuthers have grudgingly accepted a smart way of life. From my computer chip toilet paper holder that plays music appropriate to the season to my car. Computers have changed every aspect of my life. And while I’ve learned as much as I need to, and can program a gps well as the next person, I don’t always like it. I still like getting lost on a country road in the springtime. And I do just fine without “Sally”.

Ive has this blasted “SMART PHONE” fir over 2.5 years. And yes it’s smarter than me who took the first basic and Cobol language programming classes way back in the 1980s to understand computers. After the realization hit that computers were going to have a huge impact on life, my kids were raised with them.

However, I still read real books although I have a kindle for travel. I have a spinal cord stimulator implant that controls my back. And that’s controlled from an I Pad I carry. Just going to the market I have contact with 3 personal devices. And I am grateful for each. I’ve named my gps “sally” and yes I speak to her. Harshly at times.

I print some research, still mail letters and notes. I am reduced to writing a few checks a month. I admit I am the last generation to do so.

NOTE: My grandmother did the same with her microwave oven. She wanted to take it into assisted living with her in the 1990’s after she had used a wood stove every day if her life.

All of us “older” sleuthers have grudgingly accepted a smart way of life. From my computer chip toilet paper holder that plays music appropriate to the season to my car. Computers have changed every aspect of my life. And while I’ve learned as much as I need to, and can program a gps well as the next person, I don’t always like it. I still like getting lost on a country road in the springtime. And I do just fine without “Sally”.

My grandma used to hate that I never called.... Lady you have 2 "9's" and 2 "0's" in your number... Ain't gonna happen! Rotary phone...

I’ve been strongly opposed to the hit and run/take the victim scenario. It almost never plays out that way, as in the overwhelming majority of cases, the perpetrator flees the scene without the victim. You hit someone, you panic, so you’re next instinct is to get out of there. It isn’t to stop, gather the victim, and put her in your vehicle. That’s just compounding the risk of getting caught.

I further think this scenario is unlikely, because an impact and tire screeching, is an attention getter. There would possibly be blood and tire marks left in the wake of this event. It was still early enough that people would have likely heard this, and seen evidence of it, prior to darkness and the subsequent rain.

My dad spent 10 years in prison for the very same thing. He'd been playing music that night in a bar and had too much to drink. On the way home he fell asleep and crossed over the meridian. When he awoke, he over corrected and hit another man who was walking home from another bar. The man's neck broke, there was no blood on the scene. Dad panicked and put him in the backseat, thinking that there might still be a chance. On the way to the hospital, though, the man wouldn't respond. Dad wound up pulling over and checking on him. He'd been too panicked, at first, to notice the angle of the neck. It then became clear that he was dead. Dad convinced himself that he would get the death penalty. He was also extremely drunk and not thinking clearly. He took him home that night and put him in the barn, promising himself that he would call the police the next day when he was sober. The only vehicle damage was a cracked windshield. Dad was going to say that it was from coal flying off a coal truck. Two days went by, however, and he was still too shaken. My aunt finally talked to him and when she found out, she took over and called the police. There were no skidmarks in the road. Nobody saw a thing. If Dad hadn't turned himself in then nobody might have known. As it turned out, the man had cocaine and whiskey in his system and he'd been not on the shoulder but actually in the road at the time. Another witness came forward in court and said that they had nearly hit him as well. Dad got 15 years, but was out in 10. It scared him into sobriety and a day hasn't gone by that he doesn't feel remorse and guilt. The guilt absolutely contributed to the heart attacks and strokes he had later. He's not the same man.

Naturally I do not share this story often, though people around my area know it, of course. The point is, the scenario is absolutely possible. Do I think it is what happened? Maybe. I don't think it is anymore farfetched than a serial killer stalking small town Iowa or that a co-op worker dismantled the video camera and then took her. Or that she was attacked by a bear or mountain lion.

LE thought, for a while anyway, that the same happened to runner Amy Bechtel when she disappeared, though now they have moved onto something else. As I stated before, the sheriff thinks it happened to Tara Calico.

Don't underestimate the asinine decisions can make when they are scared-especially if you add intoxication on top. Logic no longer applies.

My dad spent 10 years in prison for the very same thing. He'd been playing music that night in a bar and had too much to drink. On the way home he fell asleep and crossed over the meridian. When he awoke, he over corrected and hit another man who was walking home from another bar. The man's neck broke, there was no blood on the scene. Dad panicked and put him in the backseat, thinking that there might still be a chance. On the way to the hospital, though, the man wouldn't respond. Dad wound up pulling over and checking on him. He'd been too panicked, at first, to notice the angle of the neck. It then became clear that he was dead. Dad convinced himself that he would get the death penalty. He was also extremely drunk and not thinking clearly. He took him home that night and put him in the barn, promising himself that he would call the police the next day when he was sober. The only vehicle damage was a cracked windshield. Dad was going to say that it was from coal flying off a coal truck. Two days went by, however, and he was still too shaken. My aunt finally talked to him and when she found out, she took over and called the police. There were no skidmarks in the road. Nobody saw a thing. If Dad hadn't turned himself in then nobody might have known. As it turned out, the man had cocaine and whiskey in his system and he'd been not on the shoulder but actually in the road at the time. Another witness came forward in court and said that they had nearly hit him as well. Dad got 15 years, but was out in 10. It scared him into sobriety and a day hasn't gone by that he doesn't feel remorse and guilt. The guilt absolutely contributed to the heart attacks and strokes he had later. He's not the same man.

Naturally I do not share this story often, though people around my area know it, of course. The point is, the scenario is absolutely possible. Do I think it is what happened? Maybe. I don't think it is anymore farfetched than a serial killer stalking small town Iowa or that a co-op worker dismantled the video camera and then took her. Or that she was attacked by a bear or mountain lion.

LE thought, for a while anyway, that the same happened to runner Amy Bechtel when she disappeared, though now they have moved onto something else. As I stated before, the sheriff thinks it happened to Tara Calico.

Don't underestimate the asinine decisions can make when they are scared-especially if you add intoxication on top. Logic no longer applies.
That’s really unfortunate. Your dad’s initial reaction was to help though, and that was the motivation for picking the guy up. The timing was important because it was late at night, when the streets would have likely been deserted.
Here, we are talking about the pre dusk hours, I simply can’t imagine that something like that could happen with absolutely no evidence of it. This guy apparently thought to kill her cellphone, early on in the event, which doesn’t seem to jibe with an initial effort to help the victim.
Your personal, and heartbreaking story aside, this type of thing happens a lot less than the alternative, of hit and run.

Hope in one hand... Haha, as the saying goes....
With all the repetitive questions and comments on here, nothing is new... It hurts my brain trying to just scroll past it all...
I'm just going to check the news every few days. Not that there will be any breaking news, but the perp has to be feeling confident at this point. I just hope he slips up next time and he's caught.
Good luck with all the "sleuthing" folks...

@Charliegizmo49 I agree and saw a lot of it being first hand. I live in Andover (where you know who is from) outside of Wichita. There was SO much going on behind the scenes. I didn’t search near as much as others did on foot but the effort from everyone on WS and boots on the ground was amazing.

That’s what made me think about the searching of land and all of the SM requests to do so. I actually was the one who made those SM graphics and did a lot of the contacting of businesses, news outlets, etc. That’s why I wonder why it’s not happening with this case since there is so much land.

I had to take a timeout from WS after sweet Lucas. He stole the hearts of most of us. As I get ready for bed tonight, lots of prayers going up for Mollie and her family.
M
You did an amazing job. Thank you. I was impressed. I helped with logistics and loaned atv’S for the missing “FAMILY OF 4” in Kenai Alaska. Sad, the kids grandmother was a neighbor and Patsy died before they were found. And I can say searchers were scouring that very area where they eventually found. But searches in Alaska are very different than searches in the lower 48. I was hunting once and failed to see a bear within 25 feet. I saw her cub going up a tree and I froze. I gave her every bit of space to go on her way with what turned out to be twins. It easily could have been much worse.

But back to searchers, I have a deep respect for each volunteer. No one has a clue until their help is needed. In Kenai we had doctors lawyers and Indian chiefs tromping through land that may have never been walked before ever. And somehow we missed 4 bodies and a dog. It happens.

I was born in 79. You’d think I’d have a hang of it. You are way more advanced in your technology than you should give yourself credit for! My tween doesn’t even have a phone or iPad. I’d say it sounds like you know what you’re doing haha!

Hope in one hand... Haha, as the saying goes....
With all the repetitive questions and comments on here, nothing is new... It hurts my brain trying to just scroll past it all...
I'm just going to check the news every few days. Not that there will be any breaking news, but the perp has to be feeling confident at this point. I just hope he slips up next time and he's caught.
Good luck with all the "sleuthing" folks...

I’m begining the same process. I’m only online when my back mandates I rest. Or I’m wide awake at nearly midnight.

I always hope for the very best, and grudgingly and reluctantly brace for the worst.

But Miss all American Girl Mollie Tibbetts, who has captured a nations heart, and her family, deserve a one in a million miracle.

I hope with all my heart they get it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members