Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
I haven’t been able to read all the posts here but I do note that LE has purposefully not said “the community must remain vigilant” which to me is one giveaway that a random is suspected. They really might not just know but I have no doubt they are maximizing their efforts and resources.
Interesting take on LE not saying "the community must remain vigilant". IMO LE stumbled on answering this question in the PC yesterday. I understand your take but I also wonder if the reason LE believes there is no imminent danger to the Brooklyn population is because the as yet unnamed POI is in fact from the area and not an unknown OOA type person just passing through off I-80? Public information makes it impossible to make the call on this one. Maybe Fri. PC will shed some light?

Muffin posted something interesting as well, I think---

"The dogs were still in the basement which is where she would put them when she left the house. If she was randomly abducted while at home, they would have been up and about. 2) It sounded like she probably intended to go to her Mom's for dinner but never made it or called for a ride."

The first point is quite a good one. I would only add that they would also likely be in the basement if she was preparing to leave the house.

The second point is not as good, IMO, because we know she was working on her computer later that night; so the notion that she was taken prior to dinner at her mom's is no longer tenable.

I had asked this one time before and not sure if there was ever anyone that knew the answer.

Was wondering if maybe Mollie went to the town library to do her studying. Maybe the dogs bothered her too much and she wanted peace and quiet. I know lots of college kids that loved the library to do studying and coursework. They favored the quiet atmosphere of it.
We even saw a twitter post she made when she was at the library back in 2017 so she may have liked them to study.

So the question is
Does that town have a library and would it have been open as late as 9:30pm or 10pm ?

Was wondering if maybe the perp saw her at the library and followed her when she left.

I'm still playing a little catch up reading about this case. While I've tried to search through old forums and articles for this, please forgive me if I have missed something. While reading through what is known so far, I have a few questions.

- Is there any connection between the two hog farms they searched? I see that the Fitbit might have pinged at one (article here); they interviewed the one lady who lives there (video here). They were all cleared.
However, I'm not necessarily seeing that the Fitbit pinged at multiple farms, though- so why did they search two? (article that they searched two) Were they just close in proximity so they searched both, or did her Fitbit ping at both and I missed that information? Or, is there another connection between the two (ie, same operator/owner)?

- We know that her dad is remarried thanks to MT's social media post about it and news articles referencing it, but is her mom remarried or dating anyone? Were there any other step-siblings on either side of the family? I am absolutely NOT insinuating they should be sleuthed or anything of that nature. I am NOT looking for names or specifics- just generalities. I'm just curious as to the different circles she regularly interacted with.

- The MSM has some quotes from Dalton's mom to the effect that MT practically/pretty much lived at his house over the summer. Pretty much is not the same as lived. I do wonder where her default or primary home base was, if that makes sense. When not dogsitting, was she at her mom's a decent amount? (doesn't seem like it, but who knows). Where was most of her stuff?

Her social media probably showed a pattern i.e what she did first thing in the morning...did she go to FB or Snapchat etc, like a post or two, text her BF or friends from work...if she did none of these things, she was never there to wake up, imo. But this still does not tell us if she left or was coerced.

As far as the idea that she went willingly with someone and it “turned sour”, how could LE know this? Assumption by her not contacting family by now? It would depend upon why, if she did leave, she went.

Well.. LE says she was doing homework late into the evening after returning from a jog...from all LE has said and done there is no sign of a struggle inside the home, and we have not heard of any 911 call coming from her phone. None of this means it wasn't a stranger but it does lead one to believe she went willingly. We don't know anything about what was found on her phone and fitbit and LE isn't releasing any of that information. I still think it's someone she knew. As to the random serial killer prowling nearby I-80... how would he know that on that particular night in that particular house there just happened to be a 20 year old sleeping alone... that would be quite the coincidence..
Just my opinion, but I think she may have planned to pick up the car at dinner at her mom’s.

What I would like to know is did she tell her mom why she decided a) not to go to dinner and b) that she didn't need the car. To me that indicates she had a better offer for dinner and a ride to work the next day...? is with who?

Ah, Chief Long.... awesome. My daughter was at UVA at the time of the HG case, which is what brought me to websleuths.

I don't comment much but I have read all of Mollies threads except #1. Praying for a good outcome but this case is def bizarre.

On a side note, I am from B'more (been in VA since 99) and was very good friends with Longos nephew in school....weird how it all plays out throughout life.

do we know she was working on her computer though? it hasn't been confirmed yet, although I think she was. I think LE told the family that and forgot to tell them not to tell the media until it was too late. IMO

also, if verified what does that mean exactly (genuine question, not being sarcastic).

i realize this is far fetched but if someone really wanted to set the stage that she ran off (rather than abducted or an encounter with someone turned violent), couldnt they stage this too? if they put the dogs in their basement/regular spot and left the house otherwise undisturbed, maybe they would go to this length.

does anyone know what it means by LE/FBI/professionals verifying working on homework? two basic versions come to mind:

1. was her homework some type of online school platform where you had to submit questions electronically and/or save answers as you go (re it would be easy to see if/how much progress was made in a time period). this would be fairly solid evidence it was her.

2. otherwise someone could very easily mimic this. if LE are only able to see her computer had activity - re logged into accounts, opened a word document and see some edit history from her paper, opened some internet tabs pertaining to research on said paper. particularly a pyschology major, where a lot of your work is reading and writing - its not like they'd need to sit down and solve a bunch of math problems, you could literally open a ton of tabs in her browser/make some edits in a word doc (even just grammar/highlighting stuff) and it would appear she had been working.

also, my computer has literally every password saved in chrome as well as most sites just login on my computer automatically- if someone gained access to my laptop, they could login into school/work accounts, open my itunes, social media/time killing sites one likely browses while studying etc....essentially be me.

so, can le/fbi trace down to key swipes (which i think they can) as in if someone set this up on her computer but then did not touch the computer after X time or the screen saver came on at X time. bc if all we know is someone touch the computer at X time and it was inactive after that, its a bit harder for me to convinced 100% it was mollie.

Interesting take on LE not saying "the community must remain vigilant". IMO LE stumbled on answering this question in the PC yesterday. I understand your take but I also wonder if the reason LE believes there is no imminent danger to the Brooklyn population is because the as yet unnamed POI is in fact from the area and not an unknown OOA type person just passing through off I-80? Public information makes it impossible to make the call on this one. Maybe Fri. PC will shed some light?

When the Iowa cousins were abducted in Evansdale, police did not make a big announcement telling everyone to be afraid. Instead, they said exactly what was said at the press conference yesterday, which is that everyone should always be mindful of their surroundings.

If police had said yes, be afraid, all of Brooklyn would be terrified. If they had said no, don't worry, all of Brooklyn would assume that police have their man. The answer that was provided leaves open all possibilities while making it clear that everyone should always be careful.

Has there been any thorough police search of the house? I mean, investigating any loft space, cellars, drains or cesspits. We had case in UK few years ago woman went missing, had all the usual 'sightings' - "it was definitely her" - which all proved false. Police did usual search of the large house, but failed to source a cesspit under the garage floor. Three months after the woman went missing, after they got info on this, her body was found stuffed in the drain, where she had been placed the day she was killed. The murderer was her partner who lived there with his two grown up sons.

There was also the Tia Sharp case here in the uk. She went missing from her grans home. They were doing tv interviews with the family in the house and all along she had been killed by the grans boyfriend and put in loft.

Is the pig farm they searched on the way to the fair? Was the fair in town the night she disappeared? Could she have gone to the fair that night? I know she was going with the kids from work but what if she went the night she went missing? Dogs would have been put up.

I live in Iowa. The pig farm is not on the way to the county fair. Also, the fair closes down by early evening on Sundays.

Millhouse---
1. I don't think we know why they searched those farms --- other than LE saying that they received a "tip". While we know they are looking at the Fitbit data, I don't think we know anything about what they have learned from the Fitbit.
2. There has been no mention of the mom having a BF or partner to my knowledge.
3. I don't know, but my assumption is that she slept at her mom's house / her own house.

Pilot Travel Center #495
  • 4126 Highway 21
  • Brooklyn, IA 52211
  • Get Directions
  • Phone: (319) 685-4221
  • Fax: (319) 685-4575
  • Interstate: I-80 Exit 201
  • Coordinates: 41.69844600 -92.35902600
Got this from the Pilot website....Pilot has a solid footprint of locations all up and down I-80.
I am pages behind but wanted to assure everyone that our "truckers" are very aware of this case and they have big hearts also.
I won't "tag" it, but I work with getting the word out to them and to all the truckstops and everywhere possible.
It's also possible that a trucker (or any other kind of driver actually) took her.
Just saying....
Eyes on the roads mean the highways and the biways.

some folks postulate that an "acquaintance" made contact with mt, made plans with her, then did something to her. this strikes me as unlikely. because there would be "bread crumbs" right to this person via social media history.

Unless it was a phone call and LE only has the metadata of the call from the warrant. If it was plausible for this call to happen because they knew each other that might not be enough evidence. He might be a highly suspect POI and they've already talked to him. He might have a good enough alibi. Seems they wouldn't announce this to the press since they were so tight-lipped and coy about a potential POI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avah