IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a high profile case that will bring this legal team more publicity than they could ever buy. It will give them professional prestige and bragging rights, no matter the verdict (though how they get there will matter). Up thread, it was pointed out that there was a large, resident Latino population in their home base area. This one case will provide them with a lifetime of Latino clients, and likely farm produce. As a husband/wife team, they can better afford to take this case on as a reduced fee or even pro bono case. Taking this case is simply good business, money is green, and practice building is hard.

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." B.J. Palmer, Davenport, IA

I still think that you, and others, are seriously underestimating the amount of available money and wealth in the Latino community, and that the family may well be paying to bring this legal team on board. But I will not argue that there are Human/Civil/Immigrant Rights groups that could come forward with deep pockets money as the case progresses. And that's not even considering Hollywood money... Hey, it's a free and capitalistic country, and there might even be a profit motive in paying the family, to provide for CR's defense.
This is not necessarily my opinion, but a conspiracy theorist might say that a family with political ties and immigrant farm workers might slide a few hundred thousand under the table...

Last edited:
This is a high profile case that will bring this legal team more publicity than they could ever buy. It will give them professional prestige and bragging rights, no matter the verdict (though how they get there will matter). Up thread, it was pointed out that there was a large, resident Latino population in their home base area. This one case will provide them with a lifetime of Latino clients, and likely farm produce. As a husband/wife team, they can better afford to take this case on as a reduced fee or even pro bono case. Taking this case is simply good business, money is green, and practice building is hard.

"Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." B.J. Palmer, Davenport, IA

I still think that you, and others, are seriously underestimating the amount of available money and wealth in the Latino community, and that the family may well be paying to bring this legal team on board. But I will not argue that there are Human/Civil/Immigrant Rights groups that could come forward with deep pockets money as the case progresses. And that's not even considering Hollywood money... Hey, it's a free and capitalistic country, and there might even be a profit motive in paying the family, to provide for CR's defense.

I know many Latino communities have money and wealth. However, if they believe he is guilty and they live in the same community as MT I wouldn't be so sure they will pay for legal team. JMO

Good point on publicity. Who ever heard of Barry Scheck before OJ?

But it's also frequently been used in this forum as an abbreviation for press conference, which could lead to some confusion.

Adding, yesterday I went to the funeral of a friend's father at a Presbyterian church. At the dinner following the service I noticed that the plates had a "PC" monogram along the rim. I meant to ask somebody if they were custom ordered that way or if they picked them up at Perry Como's estate sale.

So PC could be a lot of things, you just have to look for the context.

which is why I said "usually"

I don't know about others but I'm getting confused about the abduction site vs a potential homicide site that isn't the cornfield. Are there two places on 385 that are in question and does anyone know what intersection he's talking about when he 'came to', before going to the cornfield?
(edited, typo)

Last edited:
I don't know about others but I'm getting confused about the abduction site vs a potential homicide site that isn't the cornfield. Are their two places on 385 that are in question and does anyone know what intersection he's talking about when he 'came to', before going to the cornfield?

I’m confused now too

Did CR enter a plea at the bond hearing? Was that also his arraignment?

I don't know about others but I'm getting confused about the abduction site vs a potential homicide site that isn't the cornfield. Are their two places on 385 that are in question and does anyone know what intersection he's talking about when he 'came to', before going to the cornfield?
LE has only said that she was abducted on 385 in rural Poweshiek county. We've been trying to determine where on that road; some say closer to town near Boundary and Middle St., which is right at the western intersection with 385, and some say it's 385 and 200, which is where the northern red dot on LE's map was located. We've mostly all been in agreement that something of significance happened in that location. JMO, that was where she was abducted and put into the trunk.

I'm not sure what intersection CR was at where he did a U-turn and drove to the cornfield pulloff. But the cornfield is at the intersection of 460 and hwy 21.

Exactly! And I wish the Google car would go all the way out to 200, but it doesn’t. It stops at 185, BUT...you can look down 385 and see that there are small hills in 385 and a small hill is enough to completely block any houses or eyes from any horrible activity going on there.

Edit 220 changed to 200
And there are fewer and fewer houses the closer you get to 200.

I too was very confused by poster citing 1900 385th St as the site of the homicide as fact, which I don't think is correct. LE gave us Boundary, Middle, and 1900 385th block as the Streets/area for the abduction. I believe one of these streets specifically has the Malibu making multiple passes since there's only one camera (from my understanding that we know of (?))... MOO

Last edited:
LE has only said that she was abducted on 385 in rural Poweshiek county. We've been trying to determine where on that road; some say closer to town near Boundary and Middle St., which is right at the western intersection with 385, and some say it's 385 and 200, which is where the northern red dot on LE's map was located. We've mostly all been in agreement that something of significance happened in that location. JMO, that was where she was abducted and put into the trunk.

I'm not sure what intersection CR was at where he did a U-turn and drove to the cornfield pulloff. But the cornfield is at the intersection of 460 and hwy 21.

Maybe he did the u-turn on in the 1900 block of 385?

IMHO I think it would be very difficult to completely remove all trace evidence from the trunk, especially trace blood evidence that can be seen only with use of CSI techniques. Ever try and totally clean a liquid spill in your trunk lol? I have and really hard! He could not get it professionally done for obvious reasons so i think there will be trace evidence found. here's hoping! MOO
Oh, there will be evidence in that trunk. I watch Forensic Files, and there is always evidence! I'm being a bit funny with that comment, but also serious. My hunch is there will be evidence of Mollie in the trunk, and there will be evidence of the trunk on Mollie (like a fiber from the trunk interior).

Another advantage is to let the press coverage of your client die down. There are some cases where extensive press coverage is in your interest (hello, Erin Brockovich!) but not always. Your highest duty as a defense attorney is to ensure your client receives a fair trial based on the evidence presented at trial. You can't change the facts but you can make sure your client's rights are protected. It's not easy to defend monsters, I don't think I could do it even though I believe strongly in the system and the protections we all need.

There could be lots of reasons for waving the preliminary hearing. In fact, waiving the PH is almost the norm here. If there is more than enough evidence to proceed to trial, there isn't much reason to not waive. Plus, if the defense attorneys are being paid by friends etc, if really damning evidence comes out at the preliminary hearing, that funding could dry up quickly! The defense will want a chance to come up with a defense/explanation before that evidence comes out.

@Charliegizmo49 said:
That baby may also be considered a victim here.

PLEASE tell me than an innocent 3 year old child is NOT considered anything but a victim here! [bbm]

A victim in that his/her father will not be around to support the child. But that is true of every child of every felon and I've never heard other children called "victims" when we have a true victim who is deceased as is Mollie.

Not splitting hairs but feeling like she should not be called the same term as a live child who will have an opportunity to grow and live a full life which she has been denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l