IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This video gives you an idea of the surrounds Mollie was jogging in, not desolate at all

Thank you. Wow that was eye opening. I too, like the female reporter, thought all of this took place in the middle of nowhere.

Why did she continue running if he was following her?

My take on this is that she did know him from town, school, her friend and didn't think him a threat only annoying.

I had never even entertained this thought until just now, but I have thought all along that CR will not plead guilty, and that this will go to trial. But...many here have noted that Mollie's dad, Rob, has been remarkably compassionate in his comments, including at her service yesterday, talking about doing what Mollie would do (paraphrasing). Anyone think he and the family would let CR plead to a lesser charge, either 2nd degree murder, or even voluntary manslaughter, to avoid a trial if CR admits to doing something in anger and expresses remorse? Were it me, I would want him punished to the fullest extent of the law, but I have already determined that Rob is a better man than I am. JMO
I do see that being the case. CR is young, sometimes the family of murder victims will form a strange bond with the murderer and feel compassion for them and try to make something positive out of the situation.

Seems to me that would result in a lot of blood, on pavement, on him. He had to go home and if covered in blood hard to explain. Awful visual as well I must say. MOO
I think a hard punch or a hard hit on the ground could result in an injury that doesn't necessarily bleed a lot. It is horrible either way.

Most likely not until all the discovery (ie evidence) has been complied and released to the new defence team and they’ve not had opportunity to review it. So we don’t know when a plea will be entered at this point in time or if a plea deal is a possibility.

Rivera hires new attorneys; waives preliminary hearing
“...In other filings filed by Rivera's new attorneys, the preliminary hearing scheduled for Friday, August 31 has been waived and all pending motions filed by Richards have been withdrawn.

No additional court hearings have been set according to Iowa Courts Online...”
I think the Court will require an Arraignment and plea much sooner. That will start the clock ticking on the speedy trial requirement. As for a "plea agreement", that will remain to be seen. We are a long way from state even offering some sort of plea bargain. When you have a first degree murder charge, in a state with no death penalty, options are limited. Perhaps the DA could offer 2nd Degree murder in return for a guilty plea, but that won't go over well in the community I suspect.

I had never even entertained this thought until just now, but I have thought all along that CR will not plead guilty, and that this will go to trial. But...many here have noted that Mollie's dad, Rob, has been remarkably compassionate in his comments, including at her service yesterday, talking about doing what Mollie would do (paraphrasing). Anyone think he and the family would let CR plead to a lesser charge, either 2nd degree murder, or even voluntary manslaughter, to avoid a trial if CR admits to doing something in anger and expresses remorse? Were it me, I would want him punished to the fullest extent of the law, but I have already determined that Rob is a better man than I am. JMO
The family has its say, but the prosecutor doesn’t have to listen. They have this guy dead to rights on the first degree murder charge so I can’t imaging a 2nd degree or lesser sentence. 25-life is too short for a 24 year old who committed a crime like this. We’ll see.

That sounds possible. However, then he needs to keep her out of sight as he drives.

Easy enough, if she was wounded she would have been easy to submit.

jmo

Law enforcement will be able to determine this via physical evidence left in the trunk (blood, hair).

On its face, putting her in the trunk makes complete sense, as it is the easiest method for discreet transportation.

The earbuds could have been in his lap for numerous reasons. They could have wrapped around his hands during the initial struggle, or he could have ripped them off while he was putting her in the trunk.

Right now I have no reason to believe that he is being untruthful in this respect.

But I do not believe anything he said except he lead them to her body.

I had never even entertained this thought until just now, and I have thought all along that CR will not plead guilty, and that this will go to trial. But...many here have noted that Mollie's dad, Rob, has been remarkably compassionate in his comments, including at her service yesterday, talking about doing what Mollie would do (paraphrasing). Anyone think he and the family would let CR plead to a lesser charge, either 2nd degree murder, or even voluntary manslaughter, to avoid a trial if CR admits to doing something in anger and expresses remorse? Were it me, I would want him punished to the fullest extent of the law, but I have already determined that Rob is a better man than I am. JMO
RT is compassionate but letting CR walk free earlier than if sentenced to fullest extent with a lesser charge a tough pill. Of course to avoid anymore suffering of having to go through a trial and hear the horrible, horrible circumstances of the crime might be enough to agree to a plea so as not to re-live the crime in open court. Also Mom has a say correct?

Just a few random thoughts about this whole tragic case...

I know that LE has stated there is no known connection between Mollie and her alleged killer. I feel like in a town the size of Brooklyn, them being that close in age, and his connection to IM, who Mollie clearly knew, surely they had at least seen each other before, and perhaps knew each other by face, if not by name. I am willing to bet that Mollie knew of him as IM's baby-daddy, if nothing else. He has been living there for at least 4 years, and apparently has been with IM, at least off and on, for probably that long.

Several people have stated that the Chevy being towed away appears to have been cleaned and possibly even detailed in the 5 weeks since Mollie's disappearance. Indeed, it does look like it has been, but I am sure that if Mollie was in the trunk, as CR claims, and I think we all feel certain that she was, no cleaning will have erased every trace of her. LE will take the trunk liner out completely if they have to, looking for evidence of her being in there, and they will get that evidence, imo.

WC has kinda become the Richard Jewell of this case. He was shown on national tv, on Inside Edition, for one, and reporters hounded him for
interviews, only because Mollie's phone (or Fit Bit) allegedly pinged near his farm, and LE took an early interest in him. Even here, many were far too ready to paint him as her killer, though all we knew about him was he really doesn't have a history of treating some females well. I am not defending him in any way, but with all of his failings, I hope his 15 minutes of unwanted fame or more accurately, infamy, can be put behind him and hopefully he will turn his life around.

Everyone should be entitled to feel safe in their homes and neighborhoods, and most of us do. But as much as we don't want to admit it, none of us are ever completely safe, especially when we are outside our homes, and alone. Young people tend to feel immortal, (it was more than a few years ago, but I still remember that I did), and sometimes they let their guards down, because they don't think anything bad can or will happen. And I am not saying live in fear. We can't, and most of us wouldn't anyway. But we need to never assume that everyone else out there is a good person, just because we are. There are bad people, and sometimes they look just like you and me. Stay alert, stay aware, and stay alive. JMO
Several good points IMO -
Especially that she likely did know who he was / recognized him when he started running beside her (if his story to LE is true), and may therefore not have been as freaked out at first approach because he wasn't a total stranger to her, but soon enough he took advantage of the isolated setting, and possibly 'disarming' her at first through their mutual social connections, but still IMO his intent was SA, and he killed her when he 'lost it' for whatever reasons, probably Mollie asserting herself and telling him to get lost.

I haven't seen any further info from LE since last week's press conference when they said he led them to her body, but I don't think SA as motive is off the table, especially since LE's statement was that her clothes "were found at the scene" of her body or something like that, rather than on her. JMO of course.

I had never even entertained this thought until just now, and I have thought all along that CR will not plead guilty, and that this will go to trial. But...many here have noted that Mollie's dad, Rob, has been remarkably compassionate in his comments, including at her service yesterday, talking about doing what Mollie would do (paraphrasing). Anyone think he and the family would let CR plead to a lesser charge, either 2nd degree murder, or even voluntary manslaughter, to avoid a trial if CR admits to doing something in anger and expresses remorse? Were it me, I would want him punished to the fullest extent of the law, but I have already determined that Rob is a better man than I am. JMO

Whatever they decide is up to them but I have a feeling Mr. Tibbetts will do what he can to protect his sons and family. Trials are brutal! If you have never been involved in one trust me. They are very hard or a family and he has young sons to consider.
What I have seen of him...he will do what is best for them all.

Yes I agree, he is a better person than me also.

I think a plea deal is a real possibility. In my opinion it does not necessarily have to be a plea to a lesser charge but could include other incentives like choice of prison, choice of type of incarceration (protected solitary, etc.) Much depends on the evidence and how much resonable doubt the defense can establish. A plea deal could be a best case scenario for a number of reasons. - MOO

But I do not believe anything he said except he lead them to her body.
I treat everything he says with a great deal of skepticism, as it is self serving, and he has every reason to lie. Certain aspects make sense though, especially his claim of putting her in the trunk. Forensic evidence will prove if this particular claim was true or not, but it definitely makes sense to me.

I do keep forgetting about that affidavit being for homicide and that those times most likely reflect time of death. Since it is first degree on that affidavit, could those times be from time of pursuing (with intention) until time of death as all one event that ended in homicide? So the location is where it started (maybe they don't yet know where death occurred)? Or would they then need to list more than one location if they thought death occurred elsewhere?

By Jove, I think you've got it! 7:45 when he was first seen (going to premeditation) is the start of the pursuit confirmed by the video, with CR going back and forth making up his mind about what to do next. And death occured by 20:28 in the 1900 block of 385th, based on FitBit heart rate and GPS data, with the assault and abduction occurring somewhere in between. It's all right there in the arrest warrant application!

I think I read they were both 130# and 5'6". So pretty equal there. I will give him some farm work that beefs..no pun intended..you up. But if he was close to her she was in some self defense classes.

I donno I just always wonder how he stopped and subdued her. There fore I went back to Abby and the stun gun.

Re the guns on his FB page. I realize they were not his and only a picture but it does show and interest in guns.
I read Mollie was 5'3" and 120 pounds, and CR is 5'6" and 130 pounds.

Thank you. Wow that was eye opening. I too, like the female reporter, thought all of this took place in the middle of nowhere.

Why did she continue running if he was following her?

My take on this is that she did know him from town, school, her friend and didn't think him a threat only annoying.
There's no evidence shared with the public by LE that Mollie knew he was following her. They only said at the press conference that CR said he had followed her in his car, then pulled over his car, and followed her and ran next to her on foot.

I do see that being the case. CR is young, sometimes the family of murder victims will form a strange bond with the murderer and feel compassion for them and try to make something positive out of the situation.
I have a similalry innocent sweet 20 yo daughter (why this case has hit home for me and why I joined this forum) and I would NEVER form a bond with anything that could do this type of thing to another human being, let alone an innocent 20 yo girl. I am a lesser person perhaps though....JMO

Last edited:
There's no evidence shared with the public by LE that Mollie knew he was following her. They only said at the press conference that CR said he had followed her in his car, then pulled over his car, and followed her and ran next to her on foot.
Exactly. We have vague details in this regard. For all we know, he could have followed her for a substantial amount of time, Mollie only realizing it when he approached her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3