IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much bleeding depends on the type of sharp used (icepick, thin narrow blade, butcher knife, or was it sharp or dull, screwdriver, et al). Where on the body was the victim stabbed? Was the victim stabbed pre- or post-mortem; little to no bleed once the heart stops beating. Lots of variables. But, yeah, CR self-reported that MT had blood on her head when he opened the trunk. So hopefully forensics from trunk will be positive for MT's presence.
Since it was announced as cause of death, that would preclude post-mortem, I would think. jmo

Well, sometimes confessions are thrown out because they are coerced or involuntary, etc. I could see him asserting that he did not understand English very well and he misunderstood what he confessed to. Also, I don’t believe he confessed to killing Mollie. Rather he said that he blocked or blacked out that part of the incident.
(However, he did confess to following her and knowing where her body was hidden. Confession or not, he is toast. IMO)
But... even if the confession is thrown out it’ll still be in the back of the jurors minds if they followed the case at all. *MOO*

Something to keep in mind about the confession. If CR really did confess out of fear of the police, why only give a half confession. Why not confess all if you're afraid of torture or summary execution? The same goes for the language barrier. CR understood what was happening enough to give a story to the police rather than a full confession.

My own opionion but I wonder if there are other parts to the interview or a full transcription that did not make it on the to arrest warrant for a variety of reasons. Things that would come out in discovery. Maybe what is there on the arrest document was enough for the DA to agree to Murder 1 as documented and the intention was to hold the rest for the preliminary hearing. When preliminary hearings are waved, it is often because there is a great deal of evidence against the accused. MOO

One thing I would like to see more on this thread consider:

Cristhian Bahena Rivera is currently innocent in the eyes of the law. Per the statements from her family, Mollie would want a fair trial for him. He should be tried based on his actions and not where he is from or why he is here. Those other things are not relevant. I'd ask that people stop referring to him as a "killer" or "monster" or whatever else has been said. Take your direction from Stud Tibbetts -- he knows more about what Mollie would want than any of us.

I respect your right to call him whatever you wish. I call him Mollie's "alleged" killer, because that is exactly who he is, in the eyes of the law. Furthermore, if he is not her killer, he may be the unluckiest man on Earth, because his entire story, at least the parts he didn't "block out", seems to point in that direction. And finally, he doesn't use his name, so why should we? JMO

Last edited:
I know that can be done. My grandmother (paternal) said she was amazed that I don't remember ever seeing my father lose his temper, because she knew I saw him beat my mother almost every night. I'm sure that at the moment it happened, I probably remembered well enough to function properly (and behave around my father) but blocking unpleasant things out is pretty easy when it's one of your main coping mechanisms. I'm not saying that any of that scenario happened, but I do believe it's possible to block out seeing something traumatic happen - and probably possible to remember cleaning up the mess afterwards (although I've never been one to clean up after anyone, even myself if I can help it!) MOO
Agreed- my mom grew up with an abusive alcoholic mother. My mom remembers the violence. My aunt (my moms sister) doesn’t remember a thing.

Digital images are not the same as Analog images. Both systems have limitations but Digital clearly is capable of providing the clearest and sharpest of images between the two.

When it comes to *detail*, higher resolution is the rule of the day. You need more pixels (pixel density relative to the overall scene) to provide detail of smaller elements in an image.

Watching an image on a larger display as opposed to a smaller display has the effect of blurring an image because pixels are fixed in size so that when viewed on larger displays the information displayed by a pixel also becomes larger. To mitigate that effect you can stand farther from the larger display to achieve a 'similar' image as presented on a smaller display.

This blurring effect is similar but has differences from that of zooming an image.

bottom line being what you see on the news or your tv that looks blurred does not equal it looked that blurred to LE, even without enhancement. without getting too technical I think we agree on this much at least?

True, but during voir dire prospective jurors are asked what they know about the case and if they can set aside any preconceived notions they may have about the case.
IMO, that would be so difficult. I would never be chosen as a juror.

Do you have a link to him confessing to stabbing her, or is that your opinion?
I ran that sentence together. He confessed to stalking her, confronting her, having her threaten to call the cops,blanking out, then remembering driving with her in his trunk, disposing of her in the cornfield. In between that she was either stabbed and put in the trunk or stabbed when removed from the trunk. The trunk will tell what happened.

bottom line being what you see on the news or your tv that looks blurred does not equal it looked that blurred to LE, even without enhancement. without getting too technical I think we agree on this much at least?

Yes and no, depends on the source of the video/image and what was done to it before it was presented. In many cases, if you do not see *detail* in a video displayed on your TV (which are now all digital) is not much different than what is available to LE, although LE more than likely viewed it on a smaller display, which improves the appearance of clarity but if detail is not there, it's not there, Period.

Remember that our TVs are much father from our eyes than our computer displays so even though the smaller computer display may present what appears to be a 'sharper' image does not mean it also is providing better detail if it isn't there to begin with.

My own opionion but I wonder if there are other parts to the interview or a full transcription that did not make it on the to arrest warrant for a variety of reasons. Things that would come out in discovery. Maybe what is there on the arrest document was enough for the DA to agree to Murder 1 as documented and the intention was to hold the rest for the preliminary hearing. When preliminary hearings are waved, it is often because there is a great deal of evidence against the accused. MOO
Also, there is still evidence that they've collected that needs to be processed, toxicology results that take time, DNA testing, etc.

I know that can be done. My grandmother (paternal) said she was amazed that I don't remember ever seeing my father lose his temper, because she knew I saw him beat my mother almost every night. I'm sure that at the moment it happened, I probably remembered well enough to function properly (and behave around my father) but blocking unpleasant things out is pretty easy when it's one of your main coping mechanisms. I'm not saying that any of that scenario happened, but I do believe it's possible to block out seeing something traumatic happen - and probably possible to remember cleaning up the mess afterwards (although I've never been one to clean up after anyone, even myself if I can help it!) MOO

For a child observing parental abuse, yes I certainly agree blocking out bad memories does happen. Sadly it’s a means of self-protection, to not have to deal with what’s impossible for a child to understand. A coping mechanism just as you say and I’m very sorry for your experience involving that.

But I just can’t see that same type of scenario applicable to a stranger, an adult with no emotional attachment observing a violent crime being committed involving two other parties. If witnessing a crime was that traumatic, CR personally taking her body from the trunk of a car and dragging or carrying her through a corn field I’d think would’ve been equally or more traumatic considering an aftermath situation involving multiple stab wounds.

Something else to consider, CR admitted when he was mad about Mollie threatening to call police and that when he got upset, he blocked his memory. Mad + upset = blind rage? That’d be my take on it. Blind rage is most often what’s involved in multiple stabbing scenarios as well. (Not saying it’s a defense because it’s most certainly not.)

But given LE said CR was interviewed for several hours, there’s got to be a lot more information in his statement than the few lines that adequately satisfied the 1st degree charge, as written in the arrest warrant. For all we know CR unblocked it all and voluntarily offered up the rest of the story after the earlier information was summarized and typed on the affidavit.

Last edited:
Hardly any murder trials I’ ve seen involve confessions. And nearly all suspects were convicted.

I feel 100% certain this case will provide enough direct and circumstantial evidence to overcome any doubts by a jury. Of course defence lawyers will turn into a carnival if they can, their job is to distract when the facts are against them. It will not work. I do think getting impartial jurors is a real stretch though...doubt that is what will end up on the panel. I don’t think it will be possible.
Jmo
The defense will argue for a change of venue, IMHO. They will want to seat 12 jurors who are not connected to the victim or any of her family members in any way, which will eliminate most of the Brooklyn residents, again IMHO. Aside from that, I am certain that there are 12 fair-minded people in Poweshiek county. MOO.

So now that we know the unfortunate end result of Mollie does this answer why the FBI was brought in? Because CR was an illegal immigrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member