Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #44

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible the arrest warrant was issued based on his confession but LE had not yet discovered the exact location of the body but knew based on what CR told them that it was in a cornfield.

LE did the warrant after viewing her body, they stated she was where he confessed she would be and her clothes matched the description he gave them before they went to the cornfield

But the rest of the warrant is based on what CR told them happened, until LE puts all the puzzle pieces together it’s just his version

So far CR admitted to driving in the vicinity and circling her, only because they told him it’s on video

He described got her clothes correctly and where he left the body correctly

I don't think it matters whether he is lying about his memory problems. He admits to experiencing a rage when Mollie allegedly threatened him. He claims that rage led to a memory problem. During that memory problem he put Mollie in the trunk of his car and drove to a secluded cornfield.

When he recovered from the memory problem, Mollie had a head injury and she was in the trunk of his car. He no longer suffered from a memory problem when he removed her from his car, put her in the cornfield, and inflicted multiple sharp object injuries causing death.
Right, I just don't believe he ever had a problem remembering. I think he made that up so he didn't have to face what he did. He said he experienced them when he got upset, and Mollies response to him made him upset. Its a subtle way of blaming the victim. I just don't think it helps to try to figure out when it occurred or what was going on before or right after his blocked memory, or whether it makes sense since he woke up at the cornfield so he must have put her in the trunk before he experienced his memory problem, or what may have occurred or what he did while he was having his memory problem. Its much more clear to me if its left out all together. It might help others to order events, but for me it just makes me confused. And since I don't even believe the story of the memory problem, I prefer to leave it out altogether. Jmo

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks he's lying about his memory problem? Interesting to me how all the things he admitted to police are things they already know or can easily find out but the most gruesome, gory details of all the disgusting things he did to her are contained within his " blocked memory?" I just dont buy it. I think it's him not taking accountability for his actions.
CR had weeks to come up with a story. I find the blocked memory too convenient. When you fabricate facts about your identity, and spend approx 4 years living a lie around your employer; lying becomes a useful tool to get your wants and needs met. Trying to escape being held accountable for his rage that killed a woman. My opinion.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying, and it makes sense, but isn't it also possible that there was, in fact, more blood on her than just on her head, but he merely mentioned that because he knew that when the car was confiscated, traces of blood were likely going to be found, but he still wanted to distance himself from the gory details?

Sure, but there's a big difference between blood on her head and death by multiple stabbing injuries. By his own admission, she had blood on the side of her head after his memory recovered. He may well have wanted to distance himself from the gory details, but instead it appears that he clarified that when Mollie arrived at the cornfield, she merely had blood on the side of her head. That means that if she bled from her chest or back, it happened after he recovered.

Right, I just don't believe he ever had a problem remembering. I think he made that up so he didn't have to face what he did. He said he experienced them when he got upset, and Mollies response to him made him upset. Its subtle way of blaming the victim. I just don't think it helps to try to figure out when it occurred or what was going on before or right after his blocked memory, or whether it makes sense since he woke up at the cornfield so he must have put her in the trunk before he experienced his memory problem, or what may have occurred or what he did while he was having his memory problem. Its much more clear to me if its left out all together. It might help others to order events, but for me it just makes me confused. And since I don't even believe the story of the memory problem, I prefer to leave it out altogether. Jmo

Moo

I think he doesn’t care one bit about what he did to her

His ridiculous block out was to blame her for enraging him, mr. macho and he hoped it would soften the charges

It's true,,,the bad boys were more exciting.
38 years ago I married a "bad boy". Not the raping and murdering kind, but more the burn rubber down the halls at high school in your 69 Camaro kind, or steal the Beaver from Beaver car wash and put it on the school roof. He did like to fight at parties, but that is the worst thing he did. Every girl wanted him...he chose me. We are still married...but he has settled way, way down. He now likes to drive over the speed limit in his Suburban and yell at the TV. That is as bad boy as he gets...lol!

Sure, but there's a big difference between blood on her head and death by multiple stabbing injuries. By his own admission, she had blood on the side of her head after his memory recovered. He may well have wanted to distance himself from the gory details, but instead it appears that he clarified that when Mollie arrived at the cornfield, she merely had blood on the side of her head. That means that if she bled from her chest or back, it happened after he recovered.

Wonder if he hoped her body would be too far along for ME to identify the mulitiple stabbings

If not he literally admitted he killed her when he wasn’t blocked out

Right, I just don't believe he ever had a problem remembering. I think he made that up so he didn't have to face what he did. He said he experienced them when he got upset, and Mollies response to him made him upset. Its subtle way of blaming the victim. I just don't think it helps to try to figure out when it occurred or what was going on before or right after his blocked memory, or whether it makes sense since he woke up at the cornfield so he must have put her in the trunk before he experienced his memory problem, or what may have occurred or what he did while he was having his memory problem. Its much more clear to me if its left out all together. It might help others to order events, but for me it just makes me confused. And since I don't even believe the story of the memory problem, I prefer to leave it out altogether. Jmo
ITA. Of course CR's selective memory "block" is a lie but what I did find alarming was his admission he has had other incidents of similar "rage" and "blocks."

They have Baboons at YOUR Family Video? Just WHERE were you shopping. And yes there are still some video stores out there, I just saw an ad on Memphis off prime digital broadcast TV for a used CD shop filling that need. And there is still a Blockbuster Video store in Bend, Oregon, the last in America.
No. I don't go into that section of the video store. I see the baboons live downtown at the zoo. They waited until I had my mom with me to perform their "dirty deeds". Dominate male 1 self pleased. Dominant 2 nonchalantly went up to his girlfriend and decided it was time to get it on. I'm like, "Uh, lets go see the Cheetahs!"

Right, I just don't believe he ever had a problem remembering. I think he made that up so he didn't have to face what he did. He said he experienced them when he got upset, and Mollies response to him made him upset. Its a subtle way of blaming the victim. I just don't think it helps to try to figure out when it occurred or what was going on before or right after his blocked memory, or whether it makes sense since he woke up at the cornfield so he must have put her in the trunk before he experienced his memory problem, or what may have occurred or what he did while he was having his memory problem. Its much more clear to me if its left out all together. It might help others to order events, but for me it just makes me confused. And since I don't even believe the story of the memory problem, I prefer to leave it out altogether. Jmo

I think it's a critical point that he states that Mollie had blood on her head when his memory recovered. If her stab injuries are on her torso, hands, arms, etc., then he is essentially admitting that all of those injuries occurred when his memory was intact.

No. I don't go into that section of the video store. I see the baboons live downtown at the zoo. They waited until I had my mom with me to perform their "dirty deeds". Dominate male 1 self pleased. Dominant 2 nonchalantly went up to his girlfriend and decided it was time to get it on. I'm like, "Uh, lets go see the Cheetahs!"
You just made me spill my coffee....LOL !

Last edited:
BBM...We don't know that there wasn't. There very well could have even been blood on the road, but the torrential rains would have washed that away before anyone even knew she was missing. And I know you will agree that no part of abducting and killing someone makes sense. JMO
No
we dont know, but if he was thinking it over in advance, I just think he would not have wanted to deal with all the blood in the trunk. He may have done it on a rainy night so the evidence would be washed away from the ground, but I still believe there would be a much bigger mess in his trunk to clean up. Apparently he had it cleaned by the time he went to work several hours later, and it would have been a big job. If he hit her or cut her head before putting her in the trunk, there may not have been much to clean at all. According to him, he saw blood on her head. He didn't say he saw it all over her body. We don't know if her injuries were to other parts of her body, but I am assuming there were. Jmo

LE did the warrant after viewing her body, they stated she was where he confessed she would be and her clothes matched the description he gave them before they went to the cornfield

But the rest of the warrant is based on what CR told them happened, until LE puts all the puzzle pieces together it’s just his version

So far CR admitted to driving in the vicinity and circling her, only because they told him it’s on video

He described got her clothes correctly and where he left the body correctly
He also said her earbud was in his lap and that he realized she was in the trunk and had blood on her head. It's still little to go on, but at least it's something. Those details may actually be true.

I think it's a critical point that he states that Mollie had blood on her head when his memory recovered. If her stab injuries are on her torso, hands, arms, etc., then he is essentially admitting that all of those injuries occurred when his memory was intact.
Right, he didn't say something like, "there was blood all over" he specifically said her head. Guess he didn't think his explanation through to well. It makes his story a little less believable. It actually works against him.

ITA. Of course CR's selective memory "block" is a lie but what I did find alarming was his admission he has had other incidents of similar "rage" and "blocks."
Yet no-one has substantiated that. Even his family said nothing about it.

Right, he didn't say something like, "there was blood all over" he specifically said her head. Guess he didn't think his explanation through to well. It makes his story a little less believable. It actually works against him.

According to the suspect per the arrest warrant, after he recovered from his memory problem, "he went to get her out of the trunk and noticed blood on the side of her head." That is the statement that prosecutor's have to work with.

What it suggests is that after his rage subsided and he was thinking clearly, he remembered that Mollie was in the trunk of his car. He saw blood on the side of her head. He then dragged/carried her into the cornfield, covered her with corn leaves and drove away. We also know that she was stabbed multiple times from the autopsy report. If the injuries are anywhere other than her head, they must have occurred in the cornfield. That's a clear first degree murder charge.

If he stabbed her over and over before putting her in the trunk, imo there would be a massive amount of blood everywhere, including on himself. That's alot of blood to clean up. It would make more sense to me that he would injure her at the abduction site, in order to knock her out, then commit his messy crime elsewhere. He could have changed there rather than risk driving around with bloody clothes. Jmo
and potentially blood smeared on the back of the car.

38 years ago I married a "bad boy". Not the raping and murdering kind, but more the burn rubber down the halls at high school in your 69 Camaro kind, or steal the Beaver from Beaver car wash and put it on the school roof. He did like to fight at parties, but that is the worst thing he did. Every girl wanted him...he chose me. We are still married...but he has settled way, way down. He now likes to drive over the speed limit in his Suburban and yell at the TV. That is as bad boy as he gets...lol!
I would call that more of a "wanna be bad boy", someone who has a rough exterior but is a big teddy bear on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ty1220