Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once CR stated that his 'blocked memory'; it opens all sorts avenues to formulate a defense.

Makes me wonder who CR might have been talking to before LE spoke to him. If not, is he smart enough to formulate the “blocked memory” theory on his own? Maybe he was doing his homework via the web?

https://nypost.com/2018/09/12/molli...ct-wants-government-to-fund-his-legal-battle/
Mollie Tibbett’s murder suspect wants government to fund his legal battle

What a sensationalist, attention grabbing headline eluding to the State being asked to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars so the defence can put forth an aggressive “legal battle” proclaiming CRs innocence.

Meanwhile it’s still unknown if there will be a trial depending if CR pleads Guilty or Not Guilty.

Then beneath that catchy header.....

“In the documents, Rivera notes the $5,000 amount is “probably considerably less than what will actually be necessary to conduct all investigation in this matter.”

@SharonNeedles said:
Hey all - I’m not really following anymore so I apologize if this has been covered, but did we ever establish what was going on with the reports of a Black SUV on the night Mollie disappeared

Suspicious black SUV circled neighborhood on night Mollie Tibbetts vanished, neighbor says

Neighbor reported black suv circling the neighborhood early August between 11AM - 1AM. I've not seen it reported in MSN, but chatter was that the driver/suv was identified as somebody that lived near by, and said to be trying to foil a garage burglary that was rumored to take place that night. MOO

Edit to add: I thought the surveillance story might be true because the black suv news dropped off just a fast as it started...

Commenting on my earlier post: it's alleged the black SUV was actually LE trying to foil a burglary attempt. This also makes more sense in the way the topic closed down without explanation.

I can’t see his story serving up much of a defence. So he was running along side of Mollie and she asked him to leave her alone or she’d call police. Then he says he got mad. Full stop - he incriminated himself by admitting to getting mad at Mollie. Then he goes on to say he blocks his memory when he gets very upset.

So CR was mad and very upset at Mollie because she asked him to leave her alone but just then, out of the blue, someone happens to come by to murder her. This mystery person also interrupts CRs hostility and rage directed toward Mollie. No, I highly doubt any jury would buy that.

They don't have to buy it, it just has to be a reasonable and competent defence to avoid an appeal of the conviction. This is all that we and the prosecution can hope for. The defense team is charged with presenting the best defence possible. Even if given a pile of cow patties with which they are expected to build a veritable work of art.

Further more, the State is obligated to pay for a competent defence for CR, to avoid any chance of appeal. If his defence team needs a PI, the State will gladly pay for it now, rather than waste money to defend against an appeal of conviction on the back end.

Also, now that CR has apparently filed a Financial Disclosure, if his people can no longer pay for his defense, the State will simply pick up the tab for the current defense team, not appoint a new defender from the public defender pool, and be happy to do it! This to avoid an appeal based on incompetent or predudictal defence. The State AG Office's job is to now win this case, and put CR in jail for the rest of his life. Not to pinch pennies and thereby give CR a basis for an appeal and a chance to walk free! By way of example, a Mississippi County went bankrupt providing and paying for a competent defence in a murder trial.

The State of Iowa will happily pay for anything CR's defence team feels they need for his defence. This to keep CR in prison until he dies.

Sorry I got a little OT from your
Post, but the above was a common theme on my morning read of last night's posts. Also, I see on review that you apparently agree with the above, about not providing a grounds for appeal.

Makes me wonder who CR might have been talking to before LE spoke to him. If not, is he smart enough to formulate the “blocked memory” theory on his own? Maybe he was doing his homework via the web?

According to various media reports, a Spanish translater was involved during CRs interview with LE.

Something I’ve always found rather fascinating is there isn’t always an exact translation for words from one language to another.

Here are some examples -
23 Fascinating Words With No Direct English Translations | HuffPost

So on that topic, written in the brief typed affidavit was “blocked” his “memory” but not a lot of information other than it related to him getting very upset. Way back on thread #39 when there was discussion between “blacked out” and “blocked” WS member “chiquitita” wrote about his or her opinion of the Spanish words spoken by CR that might’ve gotten translated into “blocked”. I thought that additional insight was very interesting and the posts can be found here:

Thread #39
posts 857 and 873
IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #39

I'd be surprised if he hasn't spoken to relatives just after or during the 5 weeks. That is the only thing that could explain his demeanor and co-operation after arrest. Comfortable with his, 'story'.
Happy to say stuff that might count against him during any trial.

His family has no obligation to disclose any income information to anyone at this point.

If the attorneys were hired by his family they have every right to ask for a financial accounting

If they attorneys want to get paid they usually always get a financial affidavit, especially with a case like this which could be very costly.

They don't have to buy it, it just has to be a reasonable and competent defence to avoid an appeal of the conviction. This is all that we and the prosecution can hope for. The defense team is charged with presenting the best defence possible. Even if given a pile of cow patties with which they are expected to build a veritable work of art.

Further more, the State is obligated to pay for a competent defence for CR, to avoid any chance of appeal. If his defence team needs a PI, the State will gladly pay for it now, rather than waste money to defend against an appeal of conviction on the back end.

Also, now that CR has apparently filed a Financial Disclosure, if his people can no longer pay for his defense, the State will simply pick up the tab for the current defense team, not appoint a new defender from the public defender pool, and be happy to do it! This to avoid an appeal based on incompetent or predudictal defence. The State AG Office's job is to now win this case, and put CR in jail for the rest of his life. Not to pinch pennies and thereby give CR a basis for an appeal and a chance to walk free! By way of example, a Mississippi County went bankrupt providing and paying for a competent defence in a murder trial.

The State of Iowa will happily pay for anything CR's defence team feels they need for his defence. This to keep CR in prison until he dies.

Sorry I got a little OT from your
Post, but the above was a common theme on my morning read of last night's posts. Also, I see on review that you apparently agree with the above, about not providing a grounds for appeal.

Will the state pick up the tab or will a court appt. attorney take over?

If that’s the case why not hire the “dream team” and say you ran out of funds.

If the attorneys were hired by his family they have every right to ask for a financial accounting

If they attorneys want to get paid they usually always get a financial affidavit, especially with a case like this which could be very costly.

if the attorneys want a affidavit then fine, that is business between the attorneys and family. the COURT will want nothing from the family unless they want to put them on the stand for questions and even then it will have nothing to do with if they can pay attorneys. the court is interested in CR not his family, not his friends. him specifically.

I'd be surprised if he hasn't spoken to relatives just after or during the 5 weeks. That is the only thing that could explain his demeanor and co-operation after arrest. Comfortable with his, 'story'.
Happy to say stuff that might count against him during any trial.

For now I’m sticking to my theory CR confessed his evil mortal sin to a Catholic priest demonstrating an appropriate level of remorse and was absolved on the condition he admitted what he did to police. Maybe by phone to his home church in Mexico? I have no idea if confession by phone is possible. But Catholic priests are not obliged to disclose what they hear. Quite the opposite actually, absolute confidentiality is known as Seal of the Confessional.

This is the #1 reason I can best think of, why someone with the first name of Cristhian would be cooperative with LE and voluntarily admit what he did including leading LE to her body.

If my theory is correct, then he also intends to plead guilty. But I’m not stuck on this vague hunch and I may prove myself wrong as more information becomes known.

For now I’m sticking to my theory CR confessed his evil mortal sin to a Catholic priest demonstrating an appropriate level of remorse and was absolved on the condition he admitted what he did to police. Maybe by phone to his home church in Mexico? I have no idea if confession by phone is possible. But Catholic priests are not obliged to disclose what they hear. Quite the opposite actually, absolute confidentiality is known as Seal of the Confessional.

This is the #1 reason I can best think of, why someone with the first name of Cristhian would be cooperative with LE and voluntarily admit what he did including leading LE to her body.

If my theory is correct, then he also intends to plead guilty. But I’m not stuck on this vague hunch and I may prove myself wrong as more information becomes known.
I think he could plead guilty as well. I don't know about confessions to priest, anything could be though. what I would like to understand better is can his attorneys keep him from pleading guilty if he is bent on doing so?

if you have access to the court website can you see if the document about his financial info was actually filed?
I don't have access other than the public access just to look up case searches. Note, I also edited my post since you quoted it. :)

I think he could plead guilty as well. I don't know about confessions to priest, anything could be though. what I would like to understand better is can his attorneys keep him from pleading guilty if he is bent on doing so?

As pleas are given by a defendant before a Judge, I don’t believe defence attorneys could be able to thwart his intentions.

A defendant also has another option aside from outrightly proclaiming guilt, the Alford plea.

Legal Minds Explain Alford Plea
By entering an Alford plea, the defendant has to agree that the case against him or her is strong, and that based on the evidence they'd probably be found guilty if it went to trial. An Alford plea gives the defendant the opportunity to take advantage of plea negotiations, such as a reduction of the charge or a specific sentencing recommendation by the prosecution.”

Last edited:
I doubt he'll plead guilty. I expect to see this turned into a case where he admits to running beside her and then finding her body in his trunk. His atty will argue that it is possible someone else killed her and place her body in his trunk and because he was an illegal alien he feared going to the police so he buried her in a corn field. He'll probably claim that CR was targeted by LE due to his immigration status and argue away his statements to police claiming he didn't understand what he was being asked (language barrier). He'll be portrayed as a sympathetic young man who was just trying to better his life, a son who sent money back to his family and a good father. Call me cynical, but I'm betting he gets away with killing Mollie and won't even be deported.

This has turned into a very 'high profile' case; There would of been a lot of legal firms queuing up to represent CR; for them it's the kind of publicity they just couldn't buy. So even if it's done Pro Bono the legal firm wins.

I doubt he'll plead guilty. I expect to see this turned into a case where he admits to running beside her and then finding her body in his trunk. His atty will argue that it is possible someone else killed her and place her body in his trunk and because he was an illegal alien he feared going to the police so he buried her in a corn field. He'll probably claim that CR was targeted by LE due to his immigration status and argue away his statements to police claiming he didn't understand what he was being asked (language barrier). He'll be portrayed as a sympathetic young man who was just trying to better his life, a son who sent money back to his family and a good father. Call me cynical, but I'm betting he gets away with killing Mollie and won't even be deported.

That's why the DNA / forensics / evidence needs to be 100% indisputable; signed, sealed and delivered. Just to add, there are 'huge wholes' in his story already.

This has turned into a very 'high profile' case; There would of been a lot of legal firms queuing up to represent CR; for them it's the kind of publicity they just couldn't buy. So even if it's done Pro Bono the legal firm wins.
this is why I ask if attorney could prevent him or manupilate him to not plead guilty.

wouldn't look so great on attorneys if they had one plan and he just up and plead guilty. moo.

this is why I ask if attorney could prevent him or manupilate him to not plead guilty.

wouldn't look so great on attorneys if they had one plan and he just up and plead guilty. moo.
He's looking at the rest of his life in prison; life means life in the US; I don't think you get early release for 'good behaviour'; but could be wrong on that; so I think he'll plead 'not guilty'. But I know what your saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot