Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you aren't suggesting it was a normal act, I'm just putting the question out there as continuation of the concept that this was just a regular guy who suddenly turned to extreme violence. I wasn't addressing you specifically, it was a continuation of an earlier conversation. I have trouble with the word " normal" because I believe there is such a fine line between what is considered normal or not. I actually posed the question to see how others view it. Certainly normal people do abnormal things, but usually we here of a person with anger issues as lashing out at others, or other "acting out" behavior such as fighting, but we don't usually hear of those people killing someone. At least not in such a determined, violent fashion. I was just curious what others felt.

To the definition of normal - conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected, I’d imagine each one of us know people who aren’t normal, but neither are they murderers.

Yes. There's a first time for everything. I respect the right for everyone to post theories; however, the fan fiction gets a scroll and roll.
Just asking, what is meant by “fan fiction” here on WS threads?
Who are the “fans” and what is their “fiction”?
Clueless, thank you for explaining!

CR committed a horrendous crime when he murdered Mollie. As to his entering the US illegally, it's a misdemeanor crime.

"The illegal entry of non-nationals into the United States is a misdemeanor according to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, which prohibits non-nationals from entering or attempting to enter the United States at any time or place which has not been designated by an immigration officer, and also prohibits non-nationals from eluding inspection by immigration officers."

Illegal entry - Wikipedia

Identity theft is a federal felony.

Identity Theft

Identity Theft and Assumption Deterrence Act

To the definition of normal - conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected, I’d imagine each one of us know people who aren’t normal, but neither are they murderers.
True, but there is still a discrepancy as to what is considered normal or not. That's why psychologists dislike that term so much. What is usual in some cultures is acceptable in others. I think it's such a general term, it's hard to decide whether a person's behaviour is within the " norm" or not. There is also the situation to consider. I also think someone can easily develop a complex if they do something that's unusual to most people, and then are afraid that they are " abnormal" It's just a term I don't like. I just used it because someone else used it and I didn't want to confuse things.

Just asking, what is meant by “fan fiction” here on WS threads?
Who are the “fans” and what is their “fiction”?
Clueless, thank you for explaining!
I am so glad you asked that question. I have never heard that term either. I thought maybe it meant talking about other cases or something, but couldn't see why that would be a problem. I will anticipate the answer....

I am so glad you asked that question. I have never heard that term either. I thought maybe it meant talking about other cases or something, but couldn't see why that would be a problem. I will anticipate the answer....

I assumed it meant taking a case you are following and weaving your own narrative to go with it, without regard for the known facts, but I could be wrong. I had never heard the term applied here either, though I kinda can see where it fits sometimes. JMO

One thing that contradicts the portrayal of a young person who gravitates towards a life of crime, murder and mayhem is his 4 years working for the farm. Is Iowa without gangs who are involved in the illegal drug trade and other illegal activities? I don’t know but if not, for a person totally lacking morals, that lifestyle ought to be preferable to milking cows day in and day out.

I think that it’s just not possible to accurately stereotype CR due to the fact we have virtually no facts at hand, other than his confessed involvement in murdering Mollie.
All states, including Iowa, have gangs involved in illegal activities. I-80 is a known drug pipeline and it can be seen from CR's residence. CR didn't work at the dairy 24/7. JMO

COMMUNITY

All states, including Iowa, have gangs involved in illegal activities. I-80 is a known drug pipeline and it can be seen from CR's residence. CR didn't work at the dairy 24/7. JMO

COMMUNITY

I’m not aware of any low level gang members who hold down jobs milking cows but what do I know. Where I live they eventually devote their life to crime fulltime because the drug addiction and the demands of the gang become the sole priorities.

I have been reading through the opinions of CR having mental issues; being a Serial Killer; having committed other crimes, etc...my two cents of what transpired = he had seen MT previously (jogging or in town); he drove out that night to try to find her; found her; got out of his car and started talking to her; she threatened him with the police; he hit her and/or knocked her to the ground and put her in the trunk (blood on head in trunk); drove to the cornfield with plans to se*ually assault her; she fought back (hard); while straddling her body; he stabbed her (repeatedly) with a screwdriver. There was no block out, no ear bud, no plan on where to dump her body, etc. His main objective that night was s*xual assault - and when she fought back - he killed her. No underlying reasons, mental issues, etc. Almost seems too simple to wrap my head around. Also - just my opinion.

He chose, and he chose, and he chose, each action chosen by CR. It is definitely a possibility because he did kill her, he did abduct her. The answers are still filling in but we know some of the: Who =CR chooses Mollie, what = sexually assault, when =time on warrant, where= cornfield, how= abducts And murders Mollie and the WHY = he chose.

I’m not aware of any low level gang members who hold down jobs milking cows but what do I know. Where I live they eventually devote their life to crime fulltime because the drug addiction and the demands of the gang become the sole priorities.

I am not saying this does or doesn't apply to CR because we simply do not know. that said I do not at all think it takes a drug pipeline access or gang activity to be involved in manufacture and selling of illegal drugs (or use). I live in a middle class area and two houses down blew up from a meth lab. it is wide spread and does not discriminate due to age, race, economic standing, etc.

Last edited:
I'm not really the poster child for "normal", but is anyone really? I once said that just once I'd like to feel normal, and I was told that what I was feeling WAS "normal" for someone who had gone through my experiences. I believe that's true for most people, but we don't know what those experiences are in most cases. Even if the desire to assault or murder could be considered a normal reaction to someone's experiences, though, that doesn't lessen their responsibility for the damage done if they choose to act upon those desires. I do think it's normal for a young man to look at a nice looking young woman and fantasize about getting intimate with her, and possibly even forcibly in some cases; I'm also sure that many normal people have fantasized about punching someone who annoys them, and some may even imagine murdering someone they really dislike. As unpleasant as those things may sound, I believe they are normal (and normally kept in the privacy of the person's mind). The only time I think that they are abnormal is when they stop being fantasies and start becoming realities.

CR may very well have been as normal as any of us is for most of his life, but that ended once he decided to cross over that line. No matter what may have happened to him in the past, or what MT may have said to him that day, the decision to act as he did was entirely his. Even if every young man who had lived a similar life, and found himself in the same situation, would have acted the same way, it doesn't lessen his responsibility for his actions. I do believe that under the right circumstances almost everyone would be willing and able to kill someone, but I'd like to think that for at least 99.9% the circumstances would have to involve more than being turned down by a virtual stranger. MOO

ETA: Before someone else brings it up - No, I don't consider fantasizing about torturing, mutilating, etc. to be normal fantasies, or those that involve pedophilia. Maybe they are, but they definitely don't seem normal to me.

Last edited:
CR's employer provided a place for him to live. Not all drug dealers are drug users. It is a way to make $$$ and a lot of money goes back to Mexico.

I do not think it is normal, but it could be simple without him being normal. moo.

this is more of the things I can see from many different ways. we just don't have enough information for me to solidly decide. I think I know what I think then someone says something that makes me look at it differently and I can agree then I read something else and I can also agree with that.
I am not sure, either, of anything. An otherwise normal person might flip and kill someone who has been abusing them for years. An otherwise normal person might accidentally kill someone in a drunken street fight. Normal people don't knock people out that they barely know and then finish them off by cutting them over and over or less likely run up and stab people in the back while they're shuffling their music. MOO My theory is that the blood on MT's head was due to MT being knocked out (blunt force trauma) and I am thinking knife or sharp weapon wounds would most likely be in the torso, especially if there were multiple of them. Why couldn't the head wound have been sharp force trauma? Well, it could have been, but considering that CR wasn't that much taller than MT, I don't think it's probable due to awkwardness of holding the weapon. I found an interesting study on stab wounds here:https://emj.bmj.com/content/emermed/2/1/31.full.pdf

I didn't state in my post he was "normal"...nor that this was a normal act; but rather someone who wanted to simply abduct for the sake of wanting to assault (and killed her in a rage because she fought back). No mental issue excuses, etc. are needed for him to have done this. We had a case here in Northern CA where a young man s*xually assaulted and killed an elderly woman and beat up her walking partner while they walked the track of the local high school for exercise. No underlying reason other than he wanted to assault and killed someone because she fought back. My point is more leaning towards people do things, that sometimes don't make sense (at least for people who don't have the desire to assault and kill). JMO
I get that sometimes people are killed when they try to defend themselves from someone who wanted to assault them, but I think you have to have a few screws loose, maybe a bolt or two, if you have the desire to assault someone in the first place. Those people need to seek psychiatric help now before they assault and/or kill someone. MOO.

I am not sure, either, of anything. An otherwise normal person might flip and kill someone who has been abusing them for years. An otherwise normal person might accidentally kill someone in a drunken street fight. Normal people don't knock people out that they barely know and then finish them off by cutting them over and over or less likely run up and stab people in the back while they're shuffling their music. MOO My theory is that the blood on MT's head was due to MT being knocked out (blunt force trauma) and I am thinking knife or sharp weapon wounds would most likely be in the torso, especially if there were multiple of them. Why couldn't the head wound have been sharp force trauma? Well, it could have been, but considering that CR wasn't that much taller than MT, I don't think it's probable due to awkwardness of holding the weapon. I found an interesting study on stab wounds here:https://emj.bmj.com/content/emermed/2/1/31.full.pdf
Interesting lots of information, glad you posted this. I knew very little about stab wounds.
The stab wound is no respecter of anatomical barriers and presents a difficult diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. The most severe life-threatening injuries resulted mainly from anterior wounds to the chest and upper abdominal wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ty1220