Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree. But I think the best they can possibly hope for is Murder 2 with the maximum sentence of 50 years. That much, in my opinion, is a slam dunk.
That sounds about right to me too. I think manslaughter is their dream scenario here and they’d be satisfied with murder 2, sentence of 25ish years and have him out in 15. Given his age, still old enough to have a ‘life’. We can only pray that doesn’t happen. Murder one this guy and lock him away forever.

Mollie Tibbetts Murder Suspect's Confession Unreliable Due to Sleep Deprivation, Says Defense Expert

Nov 19, 2019

Brian Leslie, a consultant with expertise in interrogation techniques, noted that the video of the 11-hour interrogation of Cristhian Bahena Rivera shows the suspect denying involvement in Tibbett’s disappearance until near the end, around 4 a.m., after he had been falling in and out of sleep.

[..]

Leslie claims Rivera, 25, who had worked his shift at a dairy farm and had been awake for 24 hours, was vulnerable to suggestions that police had strong evidence and would help him if he confessed.

“Based on the sleep deprivation aspect and the amount of various techniques that were used, I would in my opinion not take a lot of what was said as credible,” said Leslie.

[..]

Judge Joel Yates said he would take the matter under advisement and rule “as quickly as [he] can.”

[..]

His lawyers declined to call Rivera to testify after Yates ruled that he should be cross-examined about his claim that he didn’t understand certain legal rights and was scared to invoke others.

[Take note that prosecution won the argument that CR should be cross-examined for evidence such as CR's affidavit and issues related to consulate to be admitted into evidence. (This was part of the second supression motion filed earlier). CR's defense would not allow CR to be cross-examined so I don't believe the claim that CR should have been able to contact the consulate will be allowed. MOO].

[..]

Prosecutor Scott Brown refuted claims by Leslie saying his theory failed to take into account evidence that corroborated Rivera’s confession.

Brown noted that Rivera was able to lead officers after the interrogation several miles to the cornfield where her body was found, and also noted that DNA testing proved blood found in the trunk of Rivera’s car came from Tibbetts.

Leslie, however, said it was unusual that a deputy who drove with Rivera to the cornfield didn’t turn on the camera in his car.

[..]

Multiple officers testified that Rivera asked to be taken to his home so he could orient himself prior to directing authorities down several roads to the field where the body was later found underneath leaves.

[..]

Prosecutors concede that some of his statements are likely inadmissible due to the botched warning, but argued that evidence related to the body should be admissible, claiming it would have been found eventually.

[..]

Two of Rivera’s relatives testified Thursday that they were denied access to him during questioning, and his aunt, Alejandra Cervantes Valle, said an officer at the sheriff’s office allegedly advised her that he wouldn’t need an attorney.

ETA: Having watched two recent trials, a couple of two things are clear to me about CR's interrogation:

I think Brooklyn Sheriff/PD should have called on more experienced resources right away as did WPPD for Kelsey Berreth murder; and all agencies should adopt the Miranda warning procedure used by Carlisle PD (Skylar Richardson) where suspect is both read the warning and receives a hard copy that must be signed by the suspect-- every time they speak to police, and video record the questioning. MOO

I'm so disappointed that prosecutors were put in this position while seeking justice for Mollie. :eek:

Last edited:
If they can muddy the waters enough about the confession, it's possible they can get the state to accept a plea deal of involuntary manslaughter which Iowa defines as "unintentionally causing the death of another by committing a public offense that is not a forcible felony or escape".
^^s/bbm

An involuntary manslaughter (Class D felony) plea deal is never going to happen!

This was no accident -- CR was not some drunk driver that did not intend to kill Mollie.

MOO

Mollie Tibbetts Murder Suspect's Confession Unreliable Due to Sleep Deprivation, Says Defense Expert

Nov 19, 2019

Brian Leslie, a consultant with expertise in interrogation techniques, noted that the video of the 11-hour interrogation of Cristhian Bahena Rivera shows the suspect denying involvement in Tibbett’s disappearance until near the end, around 4 a.m., after he had been falling in and out of sleep.

[..]

Leslie claims Rivera, 25, who had worked his shift at a dairy farm and had been awake for 24 hours, was vulnerable to suggestions that police had strong evidence and would help him if he confessed.

“Based on the sleep deprivation aspect and the amount of various techniques that were used, I would in my opinion not take a lot of what was said as credible,” said Leslie.

[..]

Judge Joel Yates said he would take the matter under advisement and rule “as quickly as [he] can.”

[..]

His lawyers declined to call Rivera to testify after Yates ruled that he should be cross-examined about his claim that he didn’t understand certain legal rights and was scared to invoke others.

[Take note that prosecution won the argument that CR should be cross-examined for evidence such as CR's affidavit and issues related to consulate to be admitted into evidence. (This was part of the second supression motion filed earlier). CR's defense would not allow CR to be cross-examined so I don't believe the claim that CR should have been able to contact the consulate will be allowed. MOO].

[..]

Prosecutor Scott Brown refuted claims by Leslie saying his theory failed to take into account evidence that corroborated Rivera’s confession.

Brown noted that Rivera was able to lead officers after the interrogation several miles to the cornfield where her body was found, and also noted that DNA testing proved blood found in the trunk of Rivera’s car came from Tibbetts.

Leslie, however, said it was unusual that a deputy who drove with Rivera to the cornfield didn’t turn on the camera in his car.

[..]

Multiple officers testified that Rivera asked to be taken to his home so he could orient himself prior to directing authorities down several roads to the field where the body was later found underneath leaves.

[..]

Prosecutors concede that some of his statements are likely inadmissible due to the botched warning, but argued that evidence related to the body should be admissible, claiming it would have been found eventually.

[..]

Two of Rivera’s relatives testified Thursday that they were denied access to him during questioning, and his aunt, Alejandra Cervantes Valle, said an officer at the sheriff’s office allegedly advised her that he wouldn’t need an attorney.

ETA: Having watched two recent trials, a couple of two things are clear to me about CR's interrogation:

I think Brooklyn Sheriff/PD should have called on more experienced resources right away as did WPPD for Kelsey Berreth murder; and all agencies should adopt the Miranda warning procedure used by Carlisle PD (Skylar Richardson) where suspect is both read the warning and receives a hard copy that must be signed by the suspect-- every time they speak to police, and video record the questioning. MOO

I'm so disappointed that prosecutors were put in this position while seeking justice for Mollie. :eek:
How do relatives stand up for these killers? I just don't get it.
JMO

Not especially fond of a racial card being played due to his miranda rights but geez louise, he's being given everything due to his right to have an interpreter present since day 1 or 3. I'm ready to yell if this guy gets anymore. It's not proper to bow to a murderer. jmo

Last edited:
Not especially fond of a racial card being played due to his miranda rights but geez louise, he's being giving everything due to his right to have an interpreter present since day 1 or 3. I'm ready to yell if this guy gets anymore. It's not proper to bow to a murderer. jmo
I am frustrated by his excuse, at not knowing our language or our judicial system. He snuck into our country illegally, uses a phoney ID to work here, and then blames his lack of English language skills as a reason to escape accountability for a brutal murder. It angers me, tbh. :mad:

I am frustrated by his excuse, at not knowing our language or our judicial system. He snuck into our country illegally, uses a phoney ID to work here, and then blames his lack of English language skills as a reason to escape accountability for a brutal murder. It angers me, tbh. :mad:

Exactly, my sentiments too. He confessed and showed the LE where he left her. Nothing more needs to be said in my opinion. He saw her, wanted her no matter what and took her and killed her. No misunderstanding here.

Since his last hearing on 11/14/19 - from the court site so far. No new court date included....

Event Filed By Filed Create Date Last Updated Action Date
COURT REPORTER MEMORANDUM AND CERTIFICATE 11/19/2019 11/19/2019 11/19/2019
Comments: K. DIGGINS

INDIGENT DEFENSE CLAIM FORM 11/19/2019 11/19/2019 11/19/2019
Comments: EXPENSES $143.00

OTHER ORDER YATES JOEL D 11/18/2019 11/19/2019 11/19/2019
Comments: RE: EXPERTS

ORDER APPOINTING COURT INTERPRETER YATES JOEL D 11/15/2019 11/15/2019 11/15/2019
Comments: EMAILED TO INTERPRETER

ORDER TO RESTRICT ACCESS TO RECORDS YATES JOEL D 11/15/2019 11/15/2019 11/15/2019

APPLICATION TO RESTRICT ACCESS TO RECORDS FRESE CHAD R 11/14/2019 11/14/2019 11/14/2019
Comments: MOTION TO FILE EXHIBITS UNDER SEAL OR ENHANCED SECURITY
LEVEL

link: https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

Since his last hearing on 11/14/19 - from the court site so far. No new court date included....

Event Filed By Filed Create Date Last Updated Action Date
COURT REPORTER MEMORANDUM AND CERTIFICATE 11/19/2019 11/19/2019 11/19/2019
Comments: K. DIGGINS

INDIGENT DEFENSE CLAIM FORM 11/19/2019 11/19/2019 11/19/2019
Comments: EXPENSES $143.00

OTHER ORDER YATES JOEL D 11/18/2019 11/19/2019 11/19/2019
Comments: RE: EXPERTS

ORDER APPOINTING COURT INTERPRETER YATES JOEL D 11/15/2019 11/15/2019 11/15/2019
Comments: EMAILED TO INTERPRETER

ORDER TO RESTRICT ACCESS TO RECORDS YATES JOEL D 11/15/2019 11/15/2019 11/15/2019

APPLICATION TO RESTRICT ACCESS TO RECORDS FRESE CHAD R 11/14/2019 11/14/2019 11/14/2019
Comments: MOTION TO FILE EXHIBITS UNDER SEAL OR ENHANCED SECURITY
LEVEL

link: https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

What rights did Mollie Tibbets have? Does anyone think that criminal justice reform has gone so far left in making sure that criminals are treated well, that we have completely forgotten their crimes?

1. There is no potential doubt about the death of Mollie Tibbets, or the perpetrator. That is a fact.

That seems to have been lost here.

What rights did Mollie Tibbets have? Does anyone think that criminal justice reform has gone so far left in making sure that criminals are treated well, that we have completely forgotten their crimes?

1. There is no potential doubt about the death of Mollie Tibbets, or the perpetrator. That is a fact.

And unfortunately the MSM perpetuates it by making "muh civil rights violated" the headline instead of a vibrant, intelligent, beautiful young woman who had so much to offer was violently taken from this earth far too soon by an animal that has no place in society. It starts and stops there for me.

As frustrating as it is, the American justice system is built in due process and fair trials so let the system take it's course and soon enough the killer will be locked away and fade into obscurity where he belongs.

Yes, especially here in Canada. When I was in court to testify against my attacker, the lawyer for him asked if his guns could be returned to him since they were so valuable. The judge, knowing this guy had a weapons ban, and was unemployed his entire life, yet owned $30,000 worth of guns, agreed the guns could be signed over to a friend of the accused, to later be sold for the money. I could not even believe what I was hearing and almost was taken out of the court for the results because of my outbursts.

The judge literally looked at his lawyer and said, "Well it's not like he's a drug dealer, so I will allow this".

The guy was 100%, a drug dealer. Had been his entire life. Either the judges are willfully blind, or they are just that dumb.

This whole thing about him not confessing until 4AM and not being read his rights etc is making sooooooo irate. Hello, most confessions take place after a long interrigation, thats how those things work.

He led them to the body. If anything screams "not a false confession", it's that.

Yes, especially here in Canada. When I was in court to testify against my attacker, the lawyer for him asked if his guns could be returned to him since they were so valuable. The judge, knowing this guy had a weapons ban, and was unemployed his entire life, yet owned $30,000 worth of guns, agreed the guns could be signed over to a friend of the accused, to later be sold for the money. I could not even believe what I was hearing and almost was taken out of the court for the results because of my outbursts.

The judge literally looked at his lawyer and said, "Well it's not like he's a drug dealer, so I will allow this".

The guy was 100%, a drug dealer. Had been his entire life. Either the judges are willfully blind, or they are just that dumb.

This whole thing about him not confessing until 4AM and not being read his rights etc is making sooooooo irate. Hello, most confessions take place after a long interrigation, thats how those things work.

He led them to the body. If anything screams "not a false confession", it's that.

Dear @Jealoushe,

I'm sorry that you had to endure that horrible experience -- and in a court of law, too. Such a travesty of justice. Thank you for having the *courage* to testify against your attacker; your courage *then* may save someone else's life in the future!

May you find the healing and comfort that you need to move forward after such a traumatic event. It can't be easy for you. The thoughts and prayers of many WS-ers reading here are with you. Please know that!

^^s/bbm

An involuntary manslaughter (Class D felony) plea deal is never going to happen!

This was no accident -- CR was not some drunk driver that did not intend to kill Mollie.

MOO

Exactly!

I don't have one doubt, not one.

Imo, he will be convicted of first degree murder. Even without the confession there is an overwhelming amount of evidence for the prosecutor to prove this case BARD.

Mollie, and her family will get true justice. It will not be a watered down lesser degree.

Jurors are far more intelligent than some give them credit for ...who serve on these kind of cases throughout our country.

They aren't easily fooled no matter what excuses defense attorneys tries to feed them.

As far as the sleep deprivation argument that's been tried many times by others with little success.

Justice IS coming for sweet Mollie no matter what excuses the defense puts forth.

Ita! Manslaughter will not be given. It doesn't begin to even legally fit the horrific crimes he committed against Mollie. No other sentence other than first degree murder fits. All of the evidence entered at trial will show it to be first degree.

Saying the copout excuse that he doesn't remember has been claimed by other ruthless first degree murderers as well. It will not matter to his jury just like other juries didn't buy it either. They will consider all of the evidence entered from the witness stand that shows otherwise.

The evidence will speak for itself whether he ever says another word in the courtroom.

Jmho

Last edited:
Agree OBE. He will go down for Murder 1. Evidence is clear. Too me. And the law calls for it. It's just Defense spin. "The fog" didn't work so well for Arias :D
ETA- premeditation can be formed in an instant, clearly here it was. IMO

I’m going to regret asking this but I’m genuinely curious now. Many here are sure this ends in a First Degree Murder conviction, but I’m so confident. I’m sure the defense is angling for a reduced charge of second degree murder, and I can’t make a convincing argument for first degree without sprinkling in a healthy dose of speculation. What do we know at this point that supports an argument for first degree?

I’m going to regret asking this but I’m genuinely curious now. Many here are sure this ends in a First Degree Murder conviction, but I’m so confident. I’m sure the defense is angling for a reduced charge of second degree murder, and I can’t make a convincing argument for first degree without sprinkling in a healthy dose of speculation. What do we know at this point that supports an argument for first degree?

What is first degree murder in Iowa?
iowa statutes 1st degree murder vs 2nd degree

Iowa
Code Annotated § 707.2, Murder in the first degree. A person commits first-degree murder if he or she kills another person under any of the following circumstances:

Willfully, deliberately, and with premeditation. While participating in a forcible felony.

I think his actions fit perfectly into Iowa's 1st degree murder definition.

Willfully, deliberately, and with premeditation.

We have video of his car following her as she jogged, going around the block a few times and returning to stalk her. That is willful behaviour. She ignores him.

So, in response, he pulls over and runs after her, then runs alongside her, trying to lure her. That is deliberate. He is hunting.

She tells him to leave or she will call 911.

He could have done so. Walked away, no problem. But he reacts with a plan, deliberate and premeditated at that point. His plan is to kidnap her. He drags her to the trunk of his car and kidnaps her, which is a forcible felony.

She died at his hands while he was participating in a forcible felony. His actions of following her in his vehicle, running after her, dragging her into his trunk, are willful and deliberate.

Premeditation can be minutes or seconds. At some point he grabbed a weapon and sliced her up.

I think he knew exactly what was going to happen to her once he had her in the trunk and went looking for a weapon.

I think they have first degree murder. He was a predator. He stalked her and grabbed her and brutally killed her. That is not 2nd degree, in my opinion.

here is the difference between 1st and 2nd:

n. a non-premeditated killing, resulting from an assault in which death of the victim was a distinct possibility. Second degree murder is different from first degree murder, which is a premeditated, intentional killing or results from a vicious crime such as arson, rape or armed robbery.

see this part:
or results from a vicious crime such as arson, rape or armed robbery.

That^^ describes this murder, in my opinion.

Outstanding post katydid ! The defense can smear mud but the facts remain. This defense team is on the taxpayers dime. They have piles of ways to waste time. Billable hours rule . All comes down to jury decision. I pray they give Molly justice and her family and friends some peace. How awful this must be ....MOO

Pretrial motions in Mollie Tibbetts murder trial due by Jan. 22 - KTIV

POWESHIEK COUNTY, Iowa (KTIV) -- Proposed jury instructions in the Cristhian Rivera murder trial are due to a judge before January 22.
[.....]
His trial is set for February 4 in Woodbury County District Court.
[.....]
The judge is still considering a motion to suppress Rivera's statement to police that he had stabbed Tibbetts to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
workerbma