Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now a law question. I know the defense seems like their arguments are reaching and haphazard, but maybe they are going somewhere with it all, in a way we can't see right now. But if, in the end, there is no cohesive reasoning, could there be a legal argument that he didn't receive proper representation? Could he get off on something like that?

I think even if they don't go anywhere with what they have done so far, they have really represented him well. I think if they have evidence that supports his innocence and they don't use it, then that would be a reason to appeal. I think he confessed and took them to her body, it's very hard to make magic out of that scenario for anyone! They did try to get that thrown out due to the line being left out of reading him his rights. I think they have done what they can so far with what they have. If there was something they didn't use that could help him, that would be different. Seems they are using everything, including casting doubt on the boyfriend who wasn't even within a couple hours of her when it happened.

Now a law question. I know the defense seems like their arguments are reaching and haphazard, but maybe they are going somewhere with it all, in a way we can't see right now. But if, in the end, there is no cohesive reasoning, could there be a legal argument that he didn't receive proper representation? Could he get off on something like that?

I think even if they don't go anywhere with what they have done so far, they have really represented him well. I think if they have evidence that supports his innocence and they don't use it, then that would be a reason to appeal. I think he confessed and took them to her body, it's very hard to make magic out of that scenario for anyone! They did try to get that thrown out due to the line being left out of reading him his rights. I think they have done what they can so far with what they have. If there was something they didn't use that could help him, that would be different. Seems they are using everything, including casting doubt on the boyfriend who wasn't even within a couple hours of her when it happened.
Mollie wanted to do two things that day: Run. And live.

CBR wanted IMO to do ONE thing.

In his fabrication, he's describing a RELATIONSHIP. Guy drives by girl. Girl notices. Guy smiles. Girl waves. Guy stops. They chat.... they meet for coffee later. Hallmark movie.

Preposterous, delusional....

If his motives were friendly, he'd have backed off when she threatened to call the police...

He is simply a liar. His saying she waved at him IMO is HIS way of blaming her for his crime. Grossest justification as if she invited or encouraged him to stop.

No way did it happen like that. That's his sick fantasy. Watching him in court yesterday confirmed it for me, no remorse, almost enjoying it. Twisted.

Mollie wanted to run. And live.

I do think he injured her, to gain control of her.

Then he took her to the secondary location.

Already wounded Mollie HAD to be thinking run, live....

I don't know her fitness level but he had the advantage-- she was bleeding (evidenced by blood in the trunk), he had a weapon. Even so, she may have had the presence of mind to calculate her chances, then choosing to run for her life.... that's IMO what made him mad. A mad, violent predator incapable of compassion or remorse with a goal and a weapon.

Impossible to fathom that he's a father....

He's where he belongs. Until hell has an opening.

JMO

One thing I just thought about was during the beginning of the interview he mentioned seeing her running and that she smiled and waved. I wonder if that was his attempt to say I saw her alive and well and she wasn't in distress then. Hoping they would quit questioning him. It was later that he admitted the other horrific things about following her and stopped to run beside her or whatever it was he said. I wonder if the transcript of his interview will be made available after the trial? I'd love to see when he made each of the statements. Did he deny first seeing her or did he jump right to he saw her and she waved, etc.

I think you are spot on, he was trying to place blame on her. Maybe he believes that in his twisted mind or maybe it was just part of his attempt to not look as guilty, but either way he is a sick individual.

One thing I just thought about was during the beginning of the interview he mentioned seeing her running and that she smiled and waved. I wonder if that was his attempt to say I saw her alive and well and she wasn't in distress then. Hoping they would quit questioning him. It was later that he admitted the other horrific things about following her and stopped to run beside her or whatever it was he said. I wonder if the transcript of his interview will be made available after the trial? I'd love to see when he made each of the statements. Did he deny first seeing her or did he jump right to he saw her and she waved, etc.

I think you are spot on, he was trying to place blame on her. Maybe he believes that in his twisted mind or maybe it was just part of his attempt to not look as guilty, but either way he is a sick individual.
I’m guessing CB wasn’t forthcoming with anything. First he said he wasn’t in town that night, then, when showed video, he admitted that was his Malibu & he was driving it. When asked about Mollie, he said he didn’t know her. When asked about the jogger in the video, he said “she” or “her” before LE said the jogger was female- couldn’t tell from video. He danced around things as long as he could, imo. I think LE was brilliant to put Romero in there- yes because Spanish is her 1st language- but she was young, pretty, personable, composed, conversational… the perfect recipe to crack him open. He probably thought he was impressing her- or getting closer to her by confessing. I’m sorry she’s no longer in LE- I think she had the potential for an awesome career. Cool as a cucumber against Freese, too. Didn’t slip into her bait & trap questions either. All moo.

I’m guessing CB wasn’t forthcoming with anything. First he said he wasn’t in town that night, then, when showed video, he admitted that was his Malibu & he was driving it. When asked about Mollie, he said he didn’t know her. When asked about the jogger in the video, he said “she” or “her” before LE said the jogger was female- couldn’t tell from video. He danced around things as long as he could, imo. I think LE was brilliant to put Romero in there- yes because Spanish is her 1st language- but she was young, pretty, personable, composed, conversational… the perfect recipe to crack him open. He probably thought he was impressing her- or getting closer to her by confessing. I’m sorry she’s no longer in LE- I think she had the potential for an awesome career. Cool as a cucumber against Freese, too. Didn’t slip into her bait & trap questions either. All moo.

CRB also claimed after driving around he went by his uncle’s house to pick up a vacumn cleaner. I would hope that LE talked to that uncle.

CRB also claimed after driving around he went by his uncle’s house to pick up a vacumn cleaner. I would hope that LE talked to that uncle.
True. If CB really picked up that vacuum, surely defense will be calling him to the stand. Hard to imagine he went with his victim in the trunk- especially if she was still alive. Or hung out to chat with uncle under those circumstances. Also hard to imagine he went after- either shirtless or with his bloody shirt. So… guessing there was no vacuum pick up that night. Jmo

Every time I hear that she got mad and threatened to call police I feel like he's alluding to her being racist. I feel like he's trying to say " She was calling the police because she didn't want someone Mexican running with her" Am I completely off?

Every time I hear that she got mad and threatened to call police I feel like he's alluding to her being racist. I feel like he's trying to say " She was calling the police because she didn't want someone Mexican running with her" Am I completely off?

The term racism wasn't tossed around as often in 2018 as it is today. At the time, I wondered whether the assault and murder was related to his perception of status - that his life is with the cows, and her life was at the university with a promising future.

The term racism wasn't tossed around as often in 2018 as it is today. At the time, I wondered whether the assault and murder was related to his perception of status - that his life is with the cows, and her life was at the university with a promising future.

Frankly after hearing some of the testimony we’ve heard so far I don’t think he is telling the truth about what happened anyway. I doubt it had anything to do with racism at all. I think he was looking for a victim, and sadly he found one.

Frankly after hearing some of the testimony we’ve heard so far I don’t think he is telling the truth about what happened anyway. I doubt it had anything to do with racism at all. I think he was looking for a victim, and sadly he found one.
I’ve wondered if he was looking for an American girlfriend & potential path to citizenship. Things didn’t work out with the mother of his child. And his FB posts from back around the time he became a murderer showed him dressed in what he must have thought was GQ-esque, flirting & posting on SO MANY female profiles. Remember? I think he was well acquainted with rejection. Did he snap- or was he a predator starting out? Idk

Regarding admissibility of the 11 hour interview, was that 7-part video compilation excluded from trial since it included a confession of sorts? Something about not being read his rights quickly enough?

Today, was a portion of that video compilation presented by the Defence to make the argument that he was asleep, even though there was previous testimony from an expert who counted something like 68 instances of sleeping? Why would his defence lawyer introduce excluded video to make a point that was already made? Is this an ineffective defence counsel guilty verdict trial?

No. The defense was very clear in their protest that they were careful NOT to include any video evidence that was previously suppressed by court order (i.e., deficient Miranda).

The suppressed evidence is is what occurred between the hours 11:30 pm and early the next morning when he was fully, correctly, Mirandized CBR and when he took investigators to the cornfield where they found Mollie's body.

Another source of contention for me personally is all this talk about 11 hours of interrogation and CBR being exhausted and not capable of voluntarily confessing. Having watched the court live stream evidence suppression hearings, CBR did not arrive at the Sheriff's office for questioning until early evening -- after his shift at the dairy farm. The relevant hours (of 11 total hours) include the suppressed hours after 11:30 pm. In other words, the interview/interrogation in question was really only about 5 hours that occurred BEFORE 11:30 pm and not after midnight when everybody including CBR and the investigators were tired.

MOO

Last edited:
I’ve wondered if he was looking for an American girlfriend & potential path to citizenship. Things didn’t work out with the mother of his child. And his FB posts from back around the time he became a murderer showed him dressed in what he must have thought was GQ-esque, flirting & posting on SO MANY female profiles. Remember? I think he was well acquainted with rejection. Did he snap- or was he a predator starting out? Idk
Actually, his former girlfriend and mother of his daughter was an American girlfriend that is also Hispanic. I don't think citizenship was a motive here. CBR was a predator.

Last edited:
Idk her citizenship- never saw reported & never sleuthed her, but in CB’s world the break-up had to be a fail, imo. That path to legalization would have been lost as well.
She went to high school with Mollie and they were facebook friends from what I recall. What I remember was at his first hearing he had no family members present, but she was there with the baby and she was in tears.

Mollie's Fitbit has been the story from the beginning, particularly heart rate - as it most likely corresponds to the exact times that she was most threatened. This provides a timeline of her abduction, assault and murder.

screen-shot-2018-08-14-at-12-12-11-pm-1534263207.png

"While details about the leads remain scarce, there is one new kind of data that might end up playing an important role: The Iowa law enforcement agencies have been working with the FBI to use her Fitbit and social media data to look for clues. They’ve been tight-lipped about what information they’re using, but Rahn said they’re trying to find any information that’s relevant to the case.

“We’re trying to use all avenues and techniques to locate Mollie, including any devices she might have, such as the Fitbit, as well as social media outlets,” he told Runner’s World by phone.

In Iowa, law enforcement agencies can use personal data from devices based on family consent, search warrants, and subpoenas. Most other states allow law enforcement officials to use data based on consent and search warrants as well, while some restrict using subpoenas to obtain information. The FBI declined to comment on “specific tools or techniques utilized in criminal investigations,” including this case.

But this isn’t the first time where law enforcement agencies and forensics teams have used smart device data to gain insight on things like GPS locations, heart rate data, steps, and other kinds of activity."
Mollie Tibbetts Disappearance - Fitbit Data in Investigations
Bam!!

She went to high school with Mollie and they were facebook friends from what I recall. What I remember was at his first hearing he had no family members present, but she was there with the baby and she was in tears.
I recall the young mother was heavily attacked /criticized for attending the hearing and later commented that she intentionally took her child to court -- not knowing when her daughter would ever see the suspect again since she did not want to take the toddler to jail. Local defenders commented that mom lived in Brooklyn her entire life and her family longtime farmers in the area. MOO (See MSM reader comments).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member