GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday, May 28th
*Trial continues (Day 8)-VERDICT REACHED! (Day 2) (@ 8:30am CT) – IA – Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts (20) (July 18, 2018, Brooklyn; found Aug. 21, 2018) – *Cristhian Bahena Rivera aka John Budd (24/now 26) arrested (8/21/18), charged (8/22/18) & arraigned (9/19/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $5M cash only bond.
ICE logged an immigration detainer on Rivera. Confessed to killing Mollie.
Trial began on 5/17/21 with jury selection & ended 5/18/21. Trial started on 5/19/21 & ended on 5/27/21). Trial moved from Poweshiek County to Scott County in Davenport. 12 jurors & 3 alternates (8 women & 7 men); Jurors: Hispanic/Latino/Spanish-3, White-12 (now 9-minus alternates), jurors ages range from 19 to 71. Jury instructions added 2nd degree murder, voluntary manslaughter & involuntary manslaughter.
5/27/21: Jurors started deliberations @ 1:30pm CT to ~4:30pm CT. Total: ~3 hours (+ 6 mins). 5/28/21: Jurors started deliberations ~8:30am CT to ~12:30pm (for lunch) (~4 hours). Started back @ ~1pm CT to ~1:10pm (10 mins.) VERDICT Reached!
Total deliberations: ~7 hours & 16 minutes. Guilty of 1st degree murder.
Court hearings from 8/22/18 thru 5/13/21 & Jury selection (Days 1 & 2) 5/17 to 5/18/21 & Trial (Days 1-7) 5/19 thru 5/27/21 & Jury deliberations (Day 1) 5/27/21 see post #196 here:
GUILTY - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #50

5/28/21 Friday, Day 8 of Trial & Day 2 of Jury deliberations: Jurors took a total of ~7 hours & 15 minutes to reach a Guilty verdict 1st degree murder. PSI to be prepared, no bond pending sentencing. Will be sentenced on 7/15/21 @ 9:30am at Montezuma, County seat of Poweshiek County. Mandatory sentence fo 1st degree murder is life without parole.

RIP Mollie. You will never have a chance to graduate from college, your father will never walk you know the aisle on your wedding day, you will never be a mother. An extraordinary life was stolen from you. Although the verdict will not bring you back, I hope it gives your family, Dalton, all your loved one's some peace.

Dalton. What that young man has been through.

at the presser the defense attorneys saying he had that story since 2018. Anyone believe them?

NO, not at all, and I'm sure we will be able to think of why and prove that by picking apart his story and looking to see when information came out to the public (and how it matches up with his story). I'm not saying that right, but hopefully you know what I mean....

I really expected killer to show some sort of emotion for himself. Perhaps his Lawyers had him well prepared he would likely be found Guilty

MOO It shows some of the “real” him. I don’t buy any of this…. He’s soft spoken, respectful, shy, nice guy. Sure, thats the cover. What he shows the outside world. His actions on July 18, 2018 show a whole different persona. Shy certainly isn’t the word I’d use. Not with how many times Mollie was struck….let alone the predatory sexual component. He nodded because he knew he did it, knew he got caught, and at this point is just accepting his fate. If anything I’d say it’s some of that anger slowly coming out.

It is better to poll the jury. There was a case that the jury did not understand what unanimous meant. They were sent back and they again did not get it. Half of them said guilty and the other half not guilty. So polling is a good idea

Yes, Jessica Chambers trial. What a bunch of dumdums those jurors were!

So if the defense attorneys believed him in 2018, they let the child and mother go unprotected and 2 sweater ninja murderers run around loose in my neighborhood for 3 years?:eek:
My take of the comments is that while CBR said that story from day one, they themselves didn't find it very believable.

From the presser - Defense team:

CBR's defense will be filing an appeal (end of July/Early August) based on denial received for review of Judge Yates decision in the evidence suppression hearing.

The Frese are pleased that jurors deliberated 7 hours. (I think they were surprised).

Praised CBR's family -- a pleasure to work with them and also their client.

Dalton Jack's phone records -- Frese had them but couldn't introduce them as evidence. Thousands of pages. But Frese doesn't say the phone records placed Dalton in Brooklyn!

On the Ninja's -- it's like trying to prove there's no Santa.

CBR immigration status - he'll serve his sentence first.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member