Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know that--thanks for the info. I feel like I see sadness in her eyes, though.
I'm not. She had plans to go to an awesome beach with her cute boyfriend in one week. She was seen outside running that day. Most depressed people don't have the energy to go outside in the heat and run for miles. Her family has stated there were no changes in her behavior. She's a psychology major at college.

Me neither, but I was surprised by the recent disappearance and suicide of another young college student last month. I guess you never know. But Mollie seems so grounded, happy in what she is pursuing.

I hate to say this, but I'm leaning towards a surprise abduction. I've heard no mention of shoes, were her running shoes in the home? What about what she was seen jogging in? Was the door locked or unlocked when someone arrived to check on her? Did the dog/dogs have an accident on the floor (speaks to time passed since they had been let out). Were the lights on in the house? Did it appear she had showered?

We the little information we have, I wonder if she might have gone to walk to her Mom’s for dinner and was abducted. But, then I can’t explain the “goodnight” SnapChat and the missing work shirt.

Just a quick note on the "suicide posts" which I haven't looked at too closely. Before a person commits suicide, you won't necessarily notice them acting depressed. In fact, it can often be the opposite as they have a sense of relief that it will be over soon.
I have many (over 30) friends who chose the suicide route, they were generally pretty perky and relaxed the week or two prior. That's what has made it so darn hard to help anyone...as you don't necessarily suspect anything is up. If you were to look at the FB posts of these friends, right up until the hour or two before, it looks picture perfect. Life looks normal. Only one posted a comment on FB literally right before that he couldn't do this anymore and was sorry.

I believe that the LE are likely interviewing those close to her to find out her habits. I bet LE now knows all sorts of details about Mollie's habits when it comes to wearing/removing contacts, wearing/removing eyeglasses, taking the dogs out, jogging, social messaging, sleepwear, and more. I think we can't do anything but go over the same questions over and over again about these things because we can't have access to interviews with those close to her yet.

Basically, I am saying that there are too many variables when it comes to things like sleepwear, dog walking, contact wearing, etc. to come up with a useful scenario without knowing Mollie's habits.

I also agree with those of you who say not to read too much into the mental health posts on her social media yet. No MSM article has given any indication that Mollie struggles with mental health issues yet. I agree with those of you who point out that she is a Psych major, so she is probably interested in mental health awareness. Also, mental health awareness is a trending topic online and elsewhere due to events in the news (ex. Anthony Bourdain, Kate Spade) and media (13 Reasons Why).

All I feel we can really do right now is spread the word about her case to help get her picture visible to as many people as possible and to send her our prayers and thoughts. She is such a lovely young woman. I truly hope that this case has a happy ending. My heart and thoughts are with her....

Interesting, this really sticks out to me - from the article:

“Everything’s on the table, unfortunately,” Poweshiek County Sheriff Thomas Kriegel told KCCI-TV on July 21. “We’re hoping that she’s somewhere with a friend and she’ll show up Monday or Tuesday and everything will get back to normal.”

Maybe he is thinking she was just gone for the weekend? Anyways, this statement was haunting to me. She doesn't seem the type to take off for a long weekend without telling anyone and blowing off work, so why Monday or Tuesday?

I've followed a few cases where people think being out of town is a good alibi. They usually don't get away with that. Easy to figure out with math and time and retracing routes, etc.

There's a lot of pressure for young college students these days. Some disappear and their parents think they were perfectly fine before hey left. But they weren't.

I have a hard time believing the neighbor that said they saw Mollie jogging around 10:00 pm. Its was dark, it was in the country, and she did not have her glasses/contacts. The timeline is still not clear when reading various news articles.

Haven't read all the posts, so this might have been mentioned before...but it's only a 2 hour ride from Brooklyn IA to Dubuque IA (or vice versa). So someone being two hours away for work isn't really an alibi. It's not like verifying someone was in NYC when a crime in LA occurred. If they suspect a crime, then they'll look at those closest to her first.

Though I haven't read any 'suicide posts' so it's possible a crime wasn't committed at all.

There's a lot of pressure for young college students these days. Some disappear and their parents think they were perfectly fine before hey left. But they weren't.
75% of people who commit suicide do it at home. They want their bodies to be found.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/basic-suicide-facts/where/
I don't have Harvard statistics on where the 25% who don't kill themselves at home commit their final act. Through personal experience, I will attest that the vast majority of the 25% likely end their lives in a place where there bodies will easily be found. This doesn't apply for Mollie. Many people searched for days to find her. Drones were sent up looking for her body. Law enforcement stated every barn, shed, garage, house, and back road was searched in two small cities.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing the neighbor that said they saw Mollie jogging around 10:00 pm. Its was dark, it was in the country, and she did not have her glasses/contacts. The timeline is still not clear when reading various news articles.

The neighbor saw Mollie jogging earlier in the evening and before Mollie spoke to her mother on the phone.

>>snip

Tibbetts had last been seen by a neighbor earlier that evening while running in Brooklyn. While many media reports have called her a missing jogger or runner, and have said she disappeared on the run, the circumstances surrounding her disappearance are not clear. While Tibbetts was not seen after the run, she did talk to her mother and her boyfriend in the hours after it. Police do not know when she vanished, or if she went for a pre-work run in the morning on July 19.

Mollie Tibbetts Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

According to family members, the boyfriend, his brother, and fiance were out of town working a construction job and staying in Dubuque, IA which is 2 hours and 15 minutes away from Brooklyn, IA. They have solid alibis.

Personally I don't think that is a solid alibi. Unless LEO have looked into their activity ALL night.

It's too early to point any fingers at suspect, and I am most certainly not trying to lay blame, but I just cannot believe that Mollie told her mother that she'd come over for dinner (correct me if I am wrong, I am catching up) and then she never showed, and the mother didn't become worried. Especially, if the mother knew the boyfriend was gone and Mollie was alone. I'd be so worried if my daughter was expected for dinner and never showed.

TODAY
July 23, 2018. Current time: 10:56 am (America/Chicago timezone)

sunrise-100px.svg

First light at 5:24:05 AM

Sunrise time:5:56:12 AM

sunset-100px.svg

Sunset time:8:36:25 PM

Last light at 9:08:32 PM

Day length: 14 hours, 40 minutes

9 hours, 40 minutes left for today's sunset in Brooklyn, IA

It's too early to point any fingers at suspect, and I am most certainly not trying to lay blame, but I just cannot believe that Mollie told her mother that she'd come over for dinner (correct me if I am wrong, I am catching up) and then she never showed, and the mother didn't become worried. Especially, if the mother knew the boyfriend was gone and Mollie was alone. I'd be so worried if my daughter was expected for dinner and never showed.

I've read two different versions:

1. Mom called Wed. evening and said they were having brats for dinner Thurs.

2. Mom called Wed. evening and said they were having brats for dinner THAT night, Mollie said ok, but never showed up. Mom thought she must have gotten busy and just decided not to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper