Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I asked if we were certain the relationship between she and BF was a good/healthy one? I'm wondering if she tried ending things and it didn't go well. 3 years is a long time to spend with someone at this age, she may have felt smothered and wanted some space, maybe he didn't like that.

My 'gut' feeling is she wasn't as happy in her relationship as people thought.... the only people who know this for certain are the 2 people actually IN the relationship.

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like maybe he was controlling...I mean this is from tweets only but then how aggressive he is in the spotlight. It would not be the first killer to play that role. Also her post about gut feelings, maybe he was being sneaky or lying about something. To post it on social media is like a dig at the person or a way to get the message across, so something was clearly bothering her.

It is interesting when you google her name, almost every post title is about her boyfriend. He is very front and center.

I think if this was a couple in their early 30's we all would be very suspicious of the BF. To me he has an eerie calm to him in the t.v. interviews. After reading a bunch of her tweets and retweets she seems like a very strong young woman who wouldnt take crap from anyone. It's another one of those cases I have to keep checking that scrambles my brain. I could see her running away, her bf being involved, a stalker, or a random wrong place wrong time caught by sexual predator.

Note FBI involvement doesn't necessarily mean they think a crime or kidnapping is involved. They have a number of specialized units that provide consulting and expertise to any local agency that calls on them. I know one is for help analyzing electronics and there's another one for forged documents and such. Pretty sure there are others.

I wonder if they were growing apart. It’s typical for relationships at that age. Also she was in college and it sounds like he wasn’t since he is working with this brother (this is a perfectly acceptable career choice) so they may have been going in different directions. At 20 she’s a little older than the typical rising sophomore so she may have planned to stay in the small town and then changed her mind later.

Now even if this is true I don’t know if I think it means her BF did something to her or the pressure of potential marriage discussion with the upcoming wedding drove her to run off or if it is irrelevant.

This case is driving me nuts. I wish LE would say something - anything.

Wouldn’t it be pretty easy for police to check the boyfriend’s alibi? If he’s staying at a hotel for an out of town job there would be plenty of cameras around to show he was either in his hotel room for the night or he wasn’t. But police still saying they’re checking everybody and everything. Just an observation.

Just to clarify some things, this is what was quoted. She seems to have ran earlier in the evening, and was back inside the house.

“The run happened and then she was at the house as far as we know. I don't think she would've run in the dark,” Calderwood said.

Dalton Jack said he has been dating Tibbetts for close to three years now. He said he was one of the first people to notice she was gone.

“I was the one who threw red flags," Jack said.

Jack said Tibbetts was dog-sitting at his house Wednesday, July 18, while he was in Dubuque for work and his brothers were in Ames.

Jack said he opened a Snapchat around 10 p.m. Wednesday from Tibbetts, where she was back inside dog-sitting.

When she didn't show up to her job on Thursday morning, he knew something was wrong.

"She hadn't called in,” said Jack. "I looked at my phone and noticed I texted her good morning that morning and she hadn't looked at it. So I got ahold of her friends and family."

Calderwood added that Tibbetts was born in Oakland, California, but her family moved to Brooklyn, Iowa when she was in fourth grade.

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like maybe he was controlling...I mean this is from tweets only but then how aggressive he is in the spotlight. It would not be the first killer to play that role. Also her post about gut feelings, maybe he was being sneaky or lying about something. To post it on social media is like a dig at the person or a way to get the message across, so something was clearly bothering her.

It is interesting when you google her name, almost every post title is about her boyfriend. He is very front and center.

I guess I'm leaning this way as I can actually relate. When I was this age, I had a 'long term' relationship (5 years) I appeared strong voiced and confident, but behind closed doors, it was a very controlling situation with my BF keeping very close tabs on my every move and my friendships. I was careful of what I said and did as not to be scolded afterwards. It was exhausting! Interesting that she's mentioned BF in multiple posts also, it's like she needed confirm his presence?

I realize I'm being swayed by my own personal experiences, but it's where my feelings are at this point.

Yes, she could have been randomly stalked or targeted. She could have simply walked away too. I'm sitting on this side of the bench at the moment.

Last edited:
so if they logon to her fitbit account on the fitbit website, they should be able to see how many hours she slept that night...if she slept at all. Might even show what time she fell asleep and what time she woke up?
So does it record heartbeats as well??

Sorry I see that was already answered up thread.

Last edited:
From Finding Mollie Tibbetts FB

Tuesday morning July 24

At this time, we have no news to share of our efforts to find Mollie. We know the investigation team continues to work so very hard, in a variety of ways, to bring Mollie home. Many of these efforts will just take time, and as frustrating as that feels, it is just part of how such investigations work. If you have any information or possible tips, please contact the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office. Tips@poweshiekcosheriff.com

At this time, the family has NOT set up any kind of fund to help our efforts to find Mollie. If that changes, we will announce it here first.

I have received hundreds of messages from so many of you. While I have tried to respond to as many as possible, please know that every message and email has been read and acted upon as necessary.

We remain so grateful for the efforts that all of you have given to find Mollie! We know her flyers are posted across the country, truck drivers and motorcycle groups are sharing her information, and there have hundreds of thousands of tweets and Facebook shares. PLEASE continue these efforts so that Mollie’s story stays at the top of newsfeeds and pages!

Thank you.

Who set up that page?

Wouldn’t it be pretty easy for police to check the boyfriend’s alibi? If he’s staying at a hotel for an out of town job there would be plenty of cameras around to show he was either in his hotel room for the night or he wasn’t. But police still saying they’re checking everybody and everything. Just an observation.

Maybe they did find some discrepencies already and maybe now they are fine tuning all the social media and phone records.

Also it is worth noting that Dubuque Iowa is right near the border of 2 other states. Illinois and Wisconsin. The Mississippi River is the border and Dubuque is right near the river. On the East side of river you have Wisconsin and Illinois. I think FBI tends to get involved when crimes cross state lines. Maybe there is information about crossing over into one of the 2 nearby states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper