Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE is being thorough -- you never know, but UT is over 1,000 miles from Iowa. Further, unless she had duplicate glasses/lenses, enuff clothing, etc., etc., and she didn't notify her BF, work, or her parents?? SMH.<sigh>

Mollie could have taken a Greyhound to UT. You don't need an ID when purchasing a Greyhound ticket, and they can be paid for with cash. People can use falsified names when purchasing tickets. There isn't a Greyhound Station in Brooklyn, Iowa, but I know there is one in Iowa City and Des Moines. I once had ridden the Greyhound from Sioux City, Iowa to Iowa City, Iowa. I know the Greyhound does pickups and drop-offs at certain gas stations and McDonald's along the route. I am just not sure if they do such a thing in Brooklyn, Iowa. This might be something to look into...even though... the chance of her hopping onto a Greyhound is slim.

THIS! agree completely.

add to that the coincidence (or not) that all three residents had overnight jobs of some sort which no stranger could predict when those began & ended...given that the BF was only two hours away and the brothers were only one hour away in ames. that's why i'm leaning towards inside info and if a perp is involved, it's someone she or one in her circle clearly know.

when i'm in a sports bra and a friend (or stranger) walks into the house, i grab a shirt to go over it. maybe this happened and why the red one's missing...

Very smart thought for about the shirt. Great observation. And scary.

Where are ppl finding that the family is uninvoled? I can't find any references at all.
This case is about three hours from where I live and it was on our local news last night with her aunt speaking to the reporter.

What I do find strange is that the bf supposedly was in Dubuque for a construction job and his brother was in Iowa City with his girlfriend. It all sounds like a contrived excuse to get Mollie in the house alone.

He didn't receive a response.

It's way too far to bike. 15.5 miles seems excessive.

I wasn't sure on the distance, I was thinking it was more like 10 miles, but still 15 miles isn't THAT far on a bike.

It's further than I would want to ride to work haha but if I was a 20 year old kid in good shape with no other means of getting to work that would be a no brainer.

15 miles on a bike on what I assume is pretty flat terrain would take like an hour and change.

I just heard on the Nancy Grace podcast that this "red shirt" was provided by the day camp she was working for. I'm guessing it may have been a camp councilor type shirt with maybe a camp LOGO on it?

We know it's missing, this doesn't necessarily mean she's wearing it, she may have had the intention to put it on once she got to work and packed it into a bag or back pack along with other things such as a lunch? I think some people prefer to change once they've arrived at work if it's a uniform type situation, rather than be a walking advertisement for their workplace. She may not have been physically wearing this red shirt is all I'm trying to say. Thoughts?

Another thought: If we knew how she was getting to work, it might be more clear to us... I'd imagine if she was driving directly to work, or getting a ride, she may have had the shirt ON. If she was walking, biking or taking public transit, I'd assume she'd not have her camp councilor shirt on. Why do we not know how she was planning to get to work? Grrr.

Until we know their reg communication relationship, i don’t find it overly suspicious that they weren’t texting or snapping non stop. They have been together almost three years, they may just be very independent during the work week?
Bumping her social media

Thanks for that. Her Instagram tag makes me sad.

I have read she couldn't really see without them. If someone knew that, it would be easy for her to be taken and not recognize the person. Also, do you put contacts in after or before make up? I don't wear any so I am no sure.

Mollie Tibbetts (@Motibbs) | Twitter

I don't wear them but if I did it would be after because I'm near sighted? So I couldnt see my face well if I had contacts in. I need help with distance.

RSBM. if she and her brother share the car, I could see it being as simple as him forgetting that she needed it that day, realizing it later and figuring that she probably grabbed a ride from someone else otherwise he would have heard from her but still calling to double-check. If I remember correctly, he tried calling but she did not answer.

regarding what she was wearing. I can see there being some confusion about the red shirt because she could have tossed it in a bag, left it at work, it could be at her house but parents missed it, etc.

it should be a little easier to figure out if she returned from the jog or not. If she did, her running clothes should be in a hamper, in a pile on the floor somewhere or wherever she put her dirty clothes when she stayed at her boyfriend's house. It's not like it is her own house where she is likely to have a lot more close to sort through, if that makes sense.

The lack of information on some of the little details (did she return from the run??) makes me think that the police know a heck of a lot more than what they are letting on.

100% agree with the last sentence.

I am sorry - Nancy did not post that headline. I posted the story of Katrina Vetrano.

Don't apologize. I have no doubt she and her team intended confusion. Sensationalism.

If she was living some distance from campus she was probably taking online classes, especially if she was working a lot (I don't actually know how much she was working tho)

So if that's the case there were probably few if any people she actually knew and/or knew where she was staying.
Brooklyn is less than an hour away from the University of Iowa but apparently she just had to go to work the next day in Grinnell, which is in the opposite direction than U of I.

Brooklyn is less than an hour away from the University of Iowa but apparently she just had to go to work the next day in Grinnell, which is in the opposite direction than U of I.

Sorry, forgot to double quote that post. Mine was in response to a post suggesting that Mollie taking summer classes might broaden the pool of "suspects"--I was trying to say that the summer classes were likely to be online, and Mollie would be unlikely to have personal connections in the classes.

Upon re-reading my post it's pretty busted haha I understand the confusion.

Newbie here and following. I have a teenage daughter and this bothered me from that last article linked:

Morning: Jack sent Tibbetts a message, but he said he didn't notice it went unread.

My daughter ALWAYS notices if her message to her boyfriend goes unread.

Also, no one mentions whether the contacts are disposables or not. Could she have put on a new pair and left the old one in the case. Mine are one month wear. Sometimes I put a new pair in and leave the old ones sitting in the solution by mistake. Just some thoughts.

His mom already has said that Dalton was not that into social media or normally active on Snapchat unless it was with Mollie. Maybe he sent her the message and then was at work for the day and didn’t look at Snapchat?

Last edited:
IIRC, in one article the boyfriend's mom is quoted as saying that Mollie and the boyfriend were communicating back and forth on social media quite a bit on Wednesday. Mollie was trying to get him back to the top of her friends list or something like that.

And she also stated he wasn't really into social media. Not sure if that's important.

There could be a lot of burglaries if there is an epidemic problem in this town. meth\heroin.

It looks like the crime rate is super low. Burglaries don't even register.

Brooklyn, IA Crime Rates & Statistics

Where are ppl finding that the family is uninvoled? I can't find any references at all.

Oh I don't think they're uninvolved at all. But I'm bothered by the statement in the Facebook page update indicating they're not helping.

Finding Mollie Tibbetts Public Group | Facebook

Ok. My mistake. I looked at the page and it does seem to be run by family. That could just be awkward wording, I guess to prevent people from being fraudulently convinced to donate to a fund?

POWESHIEK COUNTY, Iowa (KCRG-TV9) -- The Division of Criminal Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation is in Brooklyn today to reexamine the first areas that were investigated during the search for a missing University of Iowa student.

Mollie Tibbetts, 20, disappeared on Wednesday. Search crews began searching for her on Thursday and on Friday the search efforts focused on the fields between her house and where she was staying when she disappeared.

Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation Assistant Director Mitch Mortvedt says both agencies are headed to Brooklyn Tuesday to work on the case.

Mortvedt said the FBI is using Tibbetts' online history and cellphone app usage to help pinpoint where she might be.

On Tuesday, officials said that abduction is one of the possibilities they are investigating.

The Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office says although the investigation team is working hard, they don't have any news to share with their efforts at this point.

"As frustrating as that feels, it is just part of how such investigations work," the sheriff's office said.

Mollie Tibbetts investigator: 'We aren't ruling out abduction"

This case is about three hours from where I live and it was on our local news last night with her aunt speaking to the reporter.

What I do find strange is that the bf supposedly was in Dubuque for a construction job and his brother was in Iowa City with his girlfriend. It all sounds like a contrived excuse to get Mollie in the house alone.

It does sound very contrived unless bf and brother and fiance went out of town often for work. Like what are the odds all 3 of them are out of town and she goes missing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3