GUILTY IA - Nohema Graber, 66, HS teacher, beaten to death by students, Fairfield, Nov 2021 *arrests

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The hearing started Tuesday and will conclude Wednesday.

[..]

The prosecution will recommend Goodale be sentenced to life with a minimum of 25 years to serve before being eligible for parole.

In their April pleas, Miller and Goodale admitted to striking Graber, Miller’s Spanish teacher and Goodale’s teacher the previous year, or aiding and abetting the other in striking her with a baseball bat on Nov. 2, 2021.

Miller planned the killing about 10 days to two weeks before Nov. 2. Miller started asking others to help.

Investigators discovered there was a possible motive for Miller because he wanted to study abroad in Spain and needed a good grade in Spanish but he was failing Graber’s class.

11/15/23 --LIVE BLOG, DAY 2 cont:

• Trish Mehaffey • 11/15/23 3:23 PM
    The hearing is over. Thanks for joining me on this one.
  • Trish Mehaffey • 11/15/23 3:23 PM
    Goodale is sentenced to life and must serve 25 years before being elgible for parole.
  • Trish Mehaffey • 11/15/23 3:21 PM
    Judge dismisses conspiracy charge, as part of plea agreement.
  • Trish Mehaffey • 11/15/23 3:19 PM
    Judge Showers: He has considered all the sentencing options and juvenile factors required.
    He orders restitution jointly with Miller of $150,000 to estate of Graber.
    Aggravating factor - planned murder and carried it out with Miller. Her death impacted her entire family.
    This isn't a typical murder case. "This is beyond the pale."
    Threat of safety to public - aggravating factor - danger to community anyone who joined in with another. You struck her five times. Without Miller's help he couldn't have done it.
    Graber was killed in brutal fashion by her two students.
    Mandatory minimum is necessary for a deterrent.
    With respect to your remorse, unlike your co defendant, he believes Goodale is remorseful. You pleaded guilty to murder and accepted responsibility.
    Heinous and cruel. Stalking Graber and hitting her with a bat. Many, including you, have felt lasting effects of your and Miller's crime.
    Miller was far more sinister in his planning of the crime than Goodale.
    Goodale didn't fully appreciate the consequences of his actions. He could have stopped this from happening - may be hardest thing for you to live with.
    No previous criminal history and good candidate for rehabilitation - better than Miller.
    It appears your remorse is more of a comfort than he thought to some of Graber's family.
    He doesn't think parole board is adequate to make a sentencing decision.
    Goodale must serve 25 years minimum.
  • Trish Mehaffey • 11/15/23 2:52 PM
    Christian Graber, son of Nohema: His mother would want the best for you.
    He hugged Goodale's sister and told them he hoped the best for him. He talked to Goodale a few weeks ago. he believed what he told him and hopes he moves forward and redeems himself.
    Tells him to be a good man and it will be ok.
    Goodale was tearing or crying during some the statements.
  • Trish Mehaffey • 11/15/23 2:50 PM
    John Graber, brother-in-law, read by Harp: Created adverse affect to family and the community. They believe Paul would have lived longer life if not for her death.
    Community has felt significant loss.
    He asks judge for 30 years.
    Secora, Nohema's sister, read by Harp: Her sister was an incredible human being. She always did her best. She loved Mexico and proudly taught her students her native language.
    Great neighbor, friend and sister. She was loved by anyone who know her.
    She asks judge give a "just" sentence.
  • Trish Mehaffey • 11/15/23 2:39 PM
    Deanne Graber, sister-in-law, read by Harp: Hundreds of family members and thousands of friends miss Nohema.
    One of hardest, emotional conversations she had to have with her grandchildren when Nohema went missing and then had to explain murder.
    Nohema was one of the sweetest souls. All better people for having known her and being loved by her.
    She will never understand that a murder is a legitmate reason for a bad grade.
    A fair sentence would be 50 years.
  • Trish Mehaffey • 11/15/23 2:14 PM
    Judge calls for 15 min break. There will be five more statements.
  • Trish Mehaffey • 11/15/23 2:14 PM
    Jim Graber, brother-in-llaw: She was fantastic person. We know now, she went straight to heaven. She would do anything for people. She cared for strangers. For this to happen, is just insane.
    He tells Goodale that he should have known not to kill someone. The murder also contributed to Paul's death. He says Goodale could have said no at any time.
    "You have a heavy burden to carry for this horrific action." He hopes Goodale finds God and stay on correct path in life.
    He doesn't blame Goodale's family. He appreciates his apology.
    He asks judge for 25 years as minimum - only fair the years cut off Nohema's life.

Trish Mehaffey • 11/15/23 2:08 PM
Barbara Graber, sister-in-law, read by Harp: She had a special friendship with Nohema. She was warm and fierceless. Everyone loved her.
She loved being a mother and when she needed to support her disabled husband, she went back to school to do that.
Goodale's actions had a direct impact to Paul's life. He delayed treatment and died in June.
Goodale ended her life and harmed the entire family. This case has taken a toll on the family. It haunts her that the last face she saw was Goodale.
She appreciates Goodale pleaded guilty but she is conflicted whether she can believe all he said. She doesn't think he showed any mercy.
Miller didn't have the nerve to do this alone and Goodale agreed to be his accomplice.
She doesn't wish Goodale any harm while serving time in prison.
She hopes he serves the minimum of 25 years, as agreed upon with the prosecution.

Last edited:
Goodale to serve the life term which is 25 years, less credit for time served. He's to pay restitution to the victims estate at $150K as ruled for co-defendant Miller.

It seems Goodale will have chance to reduce his time with credit for good behavior whereas Miller was ruled not eligible for release until he served 30 years. (I'll have to re-read the blog here for actual words by the Court).

11/5/23

FAIRFIELD, Iowa —
One of the two Fairfield teens who admitted to killing a high school teacher was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison.

Jeremy Goodale, who pleaded guilty in April to killing Fairfield High School Spanish teacher Nohema Graber back in November 2021, must spend at least 25 years in prison before the possibility of parole.

Update 3:21 p.m.

A Jefferson County Judge sentenced Jeremy Goodale to life in prison with a chance at parole after 25 years for the murder of Nohema Graber.

Goodale previously took the stand to apologize to the court and to the family of Nohema Graber on day two of his sentencing hearing.

Goodale and another teen, Willard Miller, pleaded guilty in April to the 2021 attack on Nohema Graber. Miller was sentenced this year to life in prison with the chance at parole after 35 years. Prosecutors say Miller was the one who had poor grades in Graber's Spanish class and hatched the plan to beat and kill her.

The 66-year-old teacher was fatally beaten while taking her regular afternoon walk in a park in Fairfield.

Goodale spoke to directly to courtroom Wednesday morning. This before lawyers give their recommendation on sentencing Wednesday afternoon.

Goodale said, "Two years ago I made the worst decision of my life and I take full responsibility for what I did. And today, as a young man, I can begin to pay for that. I can never give back what I've taken, but I hope this situation doesn't end as tragically as it began. And that someday, something positive can come from this tragedy."
Forensic psychologist Dr. Mark Cunningham evaluated Goodale. Cunningham says Goodale has a mood disorder, depression and ADHD.

The defense says there is a recorded conversation between Goodale and his sister from early in the investigation where Goodale says he feels no remorse or guilt for the murder.

Cunningham says in that moment the teenager felt feelings of shock and did not realize the gravity of his actions.

Cunningham said in court, "A part of the limitation of that youthfulness is not fully appreciating the magnitude of what he's done and the implications that this is going to have for his life. And the reverberating effects in the community and the profound loss in Miss Graber of her life. So because he is 16, he doesn't get that."

Watch: Court hearing for teen accused of killing Iowa teacher | weareiowa.com

4/28/22

FAIRFIELD, Iowa — The attorney for an Iowa teenager accused of helping a classmate kill their high school Spanish teacher argued in court Thursday that his case should be moved from adult to juvenile court, which would allow for his release in less than a year.

[..]

Goodale, now 17, and Miller are charged with her first-degree murder.

Goodale's attorney, Allen Cook, presented testimony from a clinical psychologist who diagnosed Goodale with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Cook told Judge Shawn Showers that Goodale should be sent to the juvenile court system where — if he is convicted — he can begin treatment much sooner than if he is convicted as an adult and sent to prison.

Cook also argued that research has shown brains of teenagers are not fully developed and can benefit from early intervention and psychotherapy.

Cook said Goodale's mother left the family when he was 12, that he had to switch schools from the private Maharishi School in Fairfield to the public schools and he felt isolated due to the pandemic.

“These are all factors that we need to take into account, your honor, because again we're dealing with a child,” he said.

He said Goodale has a loving family and a support system in the community if he were to be released and that, despite attempts to portray him as a monster, he is just a kid who would benefit from juvenile rehabilitation programs.

[..]

County prosecutor Chauncey Moulding said there's no evidence to show that ADHD caused Goodale's alleged actions. He said Goodale wouldn't be in the juvenile system for long enough to be rehabilitated before his 18th birthday, when he would be released into the community. Two teenagers shouldn't be allowed to be free so soon after allegedly killing someone, he said.

“If that’s what the programming is for such a heinous act, it will be open season on teachers in this country,” Moulding said. “Just the idea of allowing for such a limited consequence for such a heinous crime is completely unspeakable and should never be entered into.”
Bbm gmafb
"The adult sentence for first-degree murder in Iowa is life in prison, although in 2016 the Iowa Supreme Court banned judges from imposing murder sentences of life without parole for offenders under age 18."

That's too bad...
damn, it's horrible

Mandatory minimum is necessary for a deterrent.
With respect to your remorse, unlike your co defendant, he believes Goodale is remorseful. You pleaded guilty to murder and accepted responsibility.
Heinous and cruel. Stalking Graber and hitting her with a bat. Many, including you, have felt lasting effects of your and Miller's crime.
Miller was far more sinister in his planning of the crime than Goodale.
Goodale didn't fully appreciate the consequences of his actions. He could have stopped this from happening - may be hardest thing for you to live with.
No previous criminal history and good candidate for rehabilitation - better than Miller.
It appears your remorse is more of a comfort than he thought to some of Graber's family.
He doesn't think parole board is adequate to make a sentencing decision.
Goodale must serve 25 years minimum.

^^rsbm

The two students were charged as adults, but because of their age they were not subject to an Iowa requirement that those convicted of first-degree murder serve a mandatory sentence of life without parole.

Man oh man -- does Judge Shawn Showers hate Miller (who he sentenced to life w/mandatory 35 years before eligible for parole), and who is appealing his sentence.

I recall when Judge Showers shut Miller up when he tried to put the blame on Goodale for the murder -- saying he never struck his teacher when it was Miller that gave Mrs. Graber the first whack and knocked her to the ground!

Although Showers seemed to go out of his way to differentiate between the characters of Goodale and Miller, the Judge held firm that 25 years is a deterrent, and he could not allow the parole board to determine how much time Goodale would serve before he was eligible for release (he was tried as an adult). Judge believes Goodale is smart and a good candidate for rehabilitation while serving time.

Is that even possible?

What is available in Iowa DOC for the teen virgin behind bars for the next 25 years?

With time served, he'll be about age 40 when he's eligible for release.

I dunno about this. While I agree Miller is evil, Goodale was extremely cruel in his own actions. He pretended to relieve Mrs. Graber of any fear by showing her his face (pulled down his mask)-- knowing that Miller was just about to whack her hard from behind. o_O

This was very horrific for the victim and all the families. MOO

Recap!

Wednesday, November 15th:
*Sentencing Hearing (Day 2 of 2) (@ 9am CT) - IA - Nohema Graber (66), HS teacher, beaten to death by students, Nov. 3, 2021, Fairfield - *Jeremy Everett Goodale (16/now 18) arrested & charged (11/4/21) & arraigned (11/29/21) with 1st degree murder, an A felony & 1st degree conspiracy to commit homicide in, a C felony. They are being charged as adults. Plead not guilty. $1M cash bond.
Trial was set to begin on 5/15/23 but took a plea deal & plead guilty. Sentencing hearing on 11/14/23 & 11/15/23.
Court info from 11/4/21 thru 11/3/23 & Sentencing Day 1 (11/14/23) reference post #308 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...nts-fairfield-nov-2021-arrests.599830/page-16

11/15/23 Update: Wednesday, Sentencing hearing Day 2. Defense witnesses: Mark Cunningham, clinical & forensic psychologist continues on stand. Goodale made a statement.
The prosecution recommends life sentence & must spend 25 years before being eligible for parole. He should pay over $16,000 in restitution to crime victim's program & pay $150,000 to Graber's estate. Defense is asking court to defer to board of parole & not set a minimum.
Victim impact statements by: Marilyn Fuest, sister-in law, read by victim advocate. Tom Graber, brother-in-law. Barbara Graber, sister-in-law. Jim Graber, brother-in-law. Deanne Graber, sister-in-law. John Graber, brother-in-law. Secora, Nohema's sister. Christian Graber, son of Nohema.
Judge Shawn Showers: Goodale must serve 25 years minimum. Judge dismisses conspiracy charge, as part of plea agreement. Goodale is sentenced to life in prison & must serve 25 years before being elgible for parole, less credit for time served. He's to pay restitution to the victims estate at $150K as ruled for co-defendant Miller.
for more info see posts #319 to 320 (page 16) & 322 here:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ield-nov-2021-arrests-1-guilty.599830/page-17
*Willard Noble Chaiden Miller (16/now 18) took a plea deal & plead guilty (4/18/23) to 1st degree murder (4/18/23). Sentencing hearing on 7/6/23 & sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 35 years.

I agree with the defendant's sentence. As others have said, this was a horrific crime. The nature of it will scar the family and church members forever. A respectable and loving person suffered terribly. And....I had not heard until yesterday that her clothes were pulled down further trying to humilate her. A person that age certainly knows the right and wrong of this crime. Rehabilitation is of no consideration for me. Some things can't be recovered. He ruined his life. All this....IMO...IMO.

I actually believe he is remorseful but maybe I just want to believe that. The nosebleed could have been caused by stress and high blood pressure from sincere crying…
But it was Jeremey Goodale who had the nose bleed in court, not Willard (Miller) already sentenced in July.

Oh sorry! I misread. Had Goodall on my mind due to him just being sentenced.
Agree then!

IMO, if not for Miller, Mrs. Graber would be alive and well today. JG had no reason to kill this woman or anybody else for that matter.

Like Judge Showers, I also think JG was remorseful going back to the hearings trying to keep this case in juvenile court.

On the other hand, Miller and his mother met with Mrs. Graber only hours before he beat her to death with a baseball bat.

ETA: add link

Last edited:
IMO, if not for Miller, Mrs. Graber would be alive and well today. JG had no reason to kill this woman or anybody else for that matter.

Like Judge Showers, I also think JG was remorseful going back to the hearings trying to keep this case in juvenile court.

On the other hand, Miller and his mother met with Mrs. Graber only hours before he beat her to death with a baseball bat.
I agree with you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ty1220
Back