IA - Unknown number of casualties in Davenport apartment building collapse (5/28/2023)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is such a very nice thing to do. I'm glad someone is reaching out to help the people who lost their homes and belongings due to this senseless tragedy. It would be nice to see some government agencies step in to help these people, particularly those who are elderly and disabled. It would be tragic if they all end up in homeless shelters, though that seems a possibility for some.

Brock Nelson went from relaxing to running for his life
“I looked outside and saw nothing but clouds of dust, and I knew what was going on immediately,” he said.

What was going on was that part of the building was collapsing, and he lived two apartments away from the sheer.

“I threw on some shoes and ran outside,” he said.

Nine days later, he hasn’t found a new home. Nelson has no ID and no possessions, and he’s staying with family until he can figure out what to do next.

As a survivor, he has plenty of questions.

The city filed the citation on May 30, accusing Wold, doing business as Davenport Hotel LLC, of failing on May 28 to maintain the 324 Main St. property in a safe, sanitary and structurally sound condition.

In a Friday morning hearing, Scott County Magistrate Catherine Cartee rejected a plea of nolo contendere electronically filed on Davenport Hotel LLC’s behalf by its attorney Alexander Johnson. Wold did not appear.

The owner of a building that partially collapsed in Davenport, Iowa, last month has pleaded guilty to a civil infraction for not maintaining safe conditions, court documents filed Monday show.
Andrew Wold, who owns the six-story building that collapsed on May 28, killing three people, was ordered to pay a $300 fine and $95 in court costs, according to the filing in Scott County Court.
Wold’s attorneys confirmed he had “admitted to liability for a municipal infraction in civil court,” in a statement Monday, adding their client felt the fine was “appropriate given the profoundly tragic collapse of the building”
last month.
But the “municipal infraction does not constitute an admission of negligence,” they said.

Bolding and underlining by me.

This is getting to be a problem and just the tip of the iceberg as the saying goes (which is scary since the icebergs are melting and breaking off. :(). I just saw this article today. Different city, same issue IMO.

A phenomenon that scientists have called “underground climate change” is deforming the ground beneath cities, a study conducted in Chicago has found.

This shifting of land under urban areas could pose a problem for buildings and infrastructure, threatening long-term performance and durability, according to the research.

Technically known as “subsurface heat islands,” underground climate change is the warming of the ground under our feet, caused by heat released by buildings and subterranean transportation such as subway systems.

“The denser the city, the more intense is underground climate change,”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980
Back