Found Deceased IA - Xavior Harrelson, 10, neighbor reported X missing, Montezuma, 27 May 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I apologize if this has been already discussed in the thread, I haven't followed closely. But after Xavior was found, I started getting the feeling that this case might be similar to that of Jonathan Minard: https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...inard-the-boy-found-buried-in-a-shallow-grave

Until we hear something about cause of death, I think a theory could be that someone gave Xavior a drug that killed him - and then panicked and got rid of his body. In the Minard case, the victim had complained of a toothache and was given fentanyl that killed him.
Xavior was much younger than Jonathan though. Would someone really intentionally give a 10-year-old drugs? For what possible reason?

Xavior was much younger than Jonathan though. Would someone really intentionally give a 10-year-old drugs? For what possible reason?

It's all just conjecture about a possible reason but without knowing who is around him and, frankly, what their intelligence and maturity is like, it's hard to say. A person could give a kid something (or allow him access to it, which is a different thing) without realizing what was in it, or they could know the danger and still slip up and be negligent. In the Minard case, the person responsible for the victim's death by drug intoxication, who was a friend of the family, made a terrible judgment call by allowing the victim to be "around" his drugs (he never admitted giving them to him, though the toothache part of the story calls that into question) but still was aware enough of his culpability to try to cover up his actions in the most criminal of ways.

People allow ten year olds to be "around" drugs and drug use all the time, as well as much younger children. I also don't think it's unheard of for ten year olds to be introduced to drug use. We don't really know who was regularly around Xavior. But I'm sure LE have a good idea.

Without a cause of death -- it's really hard to know. Xavior was days away from his 11th birthday when he disappeared. The adults in/or around the home may have left drugs out-- making them accessible to the preteen. Also, it was reported that there was a loud argument between mother and son the night before Xavior was reported missing-- he may have reacted to the fight by consuming something that proved fatal to him. MOO

Plenty of people hold on to RX painkillers after a surgery, even for years. If he was suffering from a bad headache or toothache, perhaps someone offered something stronger than OTC. Well-intentioned, but kids aren’t mini adults when it comes to drug metabolism. JMO.

Even at that age, if they are around it all the time, they know what the pills are. When my kid was in 7th grade, her best friend took a handful of his mother's painkillers and sleeping pills and went to bed. He knew what the pills did and knew what would happen.

If it was an accidental overdose, he probably knew what it was.

Recalling 10 yr old Kodie Dutcher of WI -- also found in a nearby corn-field day after she went missing. Her death ruled a ‘pharmalogic suicide.’ To be clear, I don't think XH took his life -- just adding a factual basis where 10 yr olds take/receive drugs.

Found Deceased - WI - Kodie Dutcher, 10, may be suicidal, Baraboo, 6 July 2020
Pretty sure Xavior was murdered! Praying for justice for him! We will not forget him and will hold those who did so accountable! He was an innocent boy that was here one day and gone the next! His smile, his laugh, his young joy with his cousins, his life is not forgotten!I wish we could have prevented his passing but will not forget his passing!

Without a cause of death -- it's really hard to know. Xavior was days away from his 11th birthday when he disappeared. The adults in/or around the home may have left drugs out-- making them accessible to the preteen. Also, it was reported that there was a loud argument between mother and son the night before Xavior was reported missing-- he may have reacted to the fight by consuming something that proved fatal to him. MOO
I think the yelling and fighting the night before he went missing is key to what happened to this little one! Who was there? What happened? Where was he after the fight?why did it end suddenly?

Hearing on Cristhian Rivera's motion for a new trial in the murder of Mollie Tibbetts continues into Tuesday afternoon

5 min video linked above includes testimony by Iowa County Sheriff officer (David Weeble) describing the arrest of JL (former BF of SH) on an unrelated outstanding warrant. Reportedly, JL previously resided with XH and SH.

5/29/2021-- DCI requested Officer Weeble help look for a vehicle at a hotel where LE believed JL and his gf SP were staying. Officer Weeble observed the vehicle leave the hotel and travel to a gas station where JL exited the vehicle on foot and left the area. Canines and air patrol were unable to locate JL and search was called off. About 2 hours later, Officer Weeble located JL walking on the street. At the time of his arrest, JL had a pipe w/meth residue and a bag of suspected meth.

JL was apprehended on an outstanding, unrelated warrant.

LE was seeking to locate the couple (JL/SP) to make inquiry about missing XH (allegation by Rivera's attorney was that JL/SP were two of the last persons to see XH before he disappeared).

No evidence relating to Xavior Harrelson found in search warrant | weareiowa.com

10/19/21

NEW SHARON, Iowa — Iowa authorities assisted in a federal search warrant Tuesday morning in New Sharon to see if they could find any evidence relating to the disappearance and death of Xavior Harrelson, according to the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI).

"We were there to assist and also in the event that there would be anything remotely related to Xavior's investigation," DCI Assistant Director Mitch Mortvedt told Local 5 in an emai
l.

Mortvedt didn't go into further details in his email.

However, Local 5's ABC News affiliate KCRG-TV9 reports that no direct evidence related to Harrelson's death came up during the search.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives searched a home at 104 South Elm Street in New Sharon. The search warrant was conducted around 6:45 a.m., according to the Mahaska County Sheriff's Office.

The search was in relation to federal firearms charges filed against James Lowe in July. Lowe was charged with possessing a National Firearms Act firearm not registered to the possessor after a car he was driving was allegedly found with a sawed-off shotgun.**

The residence searched on So Elm St in relationship to JL arrest is believed connected to JL gf SP. Reportedly, the search did not provide any information related to XH.

** At the time of JL's arrest on 5/29/21 on an unrelated warrant, the vehicle occupied by SP was searched and a sawed-off shotgun allegedly belonging to JL was recovered. JL was arrested and charged in July 2021 for possession of the illegal shotgun.

The search at the Elm St residence was reported as related to JL's federal gun charge arrest.

I don't believe it a coincidence that the Elm St house was searched shortly after JL entered a guilty plea to the gun charge (Sept). JL will be sentenced in Federal court Feb 2022 on the single federal charge.

At this time, I don't have any reason to believe that JL was involved in the disappearance of XH. He will be sentenced soon and may be sentenced as long as 10 years in federal prison for the illegal gun possession offense. However, I reserve my suspicion about gf SP and what if anything she may know about XH disappearance. (I believe she's a close friend of SH). MOO

Last edited:
I keep coming back to this site hoping that there is an answer! I will continue to keep coming back until whomever did this to Xavior is held accountable! Xavior I made a promise when you went missing that we would find you! I was hoping to find you alive but I can promise you we will find whomever did this to you! You were loved, you lived, you will not be forgotten! I promise you this!

I keep coming back to this site hoping that there is an answer! I will continue to keep coming back until whomever did this to Xavior is held accountable! Xavior I made a promise when you went missing that we would find you! I was hoping to find you alive but I can promise you we will find whomever did this to you! You were loved, you lived, you will not be forgotten! I promise you this!
Hugs, Pavelsky.
t4621.gif

Hugs, Pavelsky.
t4621.gif
Thank you pommymommy! I am not a patient person so appreciate the hugs! I think in this case patience will bring justice so when I post exasperated thoughts may those that have more patience than me remind me that there is no timeline for justice! There will be justice!Hugs, deep breath, not giving up! ,there will be justice! (How can there not…he was only a boy!)

I guess toxicology is still pending?

Without knowing the results of that, I still think it's possible that this is a drug-related death that the person or persons responsible attempted to cover up.

Here's an article that may shed light on the issue of overdoses in children who may be around fentanyl or fentanyl-laced products:

Middle-school children fall prey to fatal fentanyl overdoses

Following up on my earlier report regarding James Lowe, former live-in ex-bf of SH:

JL was charged in federal court with possession of an illegal short rifle not registered to him when he was being sought on an unrelated outstanding warrant in the days after XH vanished.

JL entered a plea agreement last fall where the possible sentencing for the single count gun charge read as follows:

I advised Defendant that Count 1 of the Indictment is punishable by the
following maximum penalties: (1) not more than ten years in prison without the possibility of parole; (2) a period of supervised release following prison of not more than three years; and (3) a fine of not more than $10,000.

The "Government's Sentencing Memorandum" issued the day before his formal sentencing provided the following:

The parties agree that the total offense level is 19 and defendant has a criminal history category of III resulting in a guidelines range of 37 to 46 months’ imprisonment.

The government asks that the Court impose a guidelines sentence and a
3-year term of supervised release.

In the "Defendant's Sentencing Memorandum," it was noted that JL did not intend to call any witnesses, would not submit any Exhibits, and that he agreed that the Government's guideline range was calculated correctly for his category 3 rating (criminal history). It was also noted that JL would be asking the Court for the low end of his guideline range.

What is not known is what JL may have said during sentencing before the Court on Feb 18, 2022, because that's been sealed by the Court.

The Court sentenced JL to a term of 37 months imprisonment; 3 years supervised release; and $100 special assessment, Signed by Judge CJ Williams on 2/18/2022.

IMO, I don't think JL had anything to do with XH's death or his state drug charges probably would have been escalated, pending evidence of other state criminal charges, and the federal charges secondary or at bay. However, given that JL received the low end of the sentencing guideline, I think it's possible that JL was candid with investigators with anything he heard or had prior knowlege of. We know that LE had probable cause to search a house in New Sharon, ID for some reason that was only reported by media as follow up to JL's weapon's charge (a residence where it's believed his last gf was living at when the search warrant was executed).

Seems there was no reason for the court to withhold sentencing so I don't think JL's sentence was contingent on his testifying. JL's testimony could also have been regarded as hearsay and not admissible in court. But not admissible doesn't mean it wasn't helpful to investigators. JMO.

Public Access to Court Electronic Records | PACER: Federal Court Records

This federal case has been closed/terminated in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Iowa (Cedar Rapids).

Thanks for update @typical_vacation. Last news on XH was Nov 2021 when authorities indicated they were not ready to release the cause of death. I hope they are ready to do so on Wednesday. :eek:

Iowa DCI: Xavior Harrelson’s cause of death may not be released any time soon

But investigators with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations say they may not release it. This in part because Harrelson’s death is still an active criminal investigation.

This means the Iowa state medical examiner’s office is allowed to withhold the cause of death if the investigation is pending.

At this time, there are no plans on when that may be.

KCCI special report: What happened to Xavior Harrelson?

MONTEZUMA, Iowa —

What happened to Xavior Harrelson? That question remains five months after the boy's body was discovered in Poweshiek County.

The 10-year-old disappeared in May from the mobile home he shared with his mother in Montezuma. His story gained national attention, but searches turned up empty for months.
Then in September, a farmer discovered his remains in a field just outside Montezuma. State investigators have released very few details about his death.

In a special report, KCCI looks for answers in the search for justice. See where the investigation stands right now, and how Xavior's loved ones are still fighting for justice, tonight on KCCI 8 News at Five.

I think there was foul play. I do not believe X walked to that field by himself. He had issues with walking and also, I think someone would have seen him, on such a long walk.

I believe he was dumped there by someone. I am suspicious of his mother, but I am not sure she could manage doing this on her own. I do believe she could have snapped and lashed out at him, punched him or something....but she would need help getting him to that field.

I do lean towards him leaving home, angry, and maybe being picked up by someone. Maybe one of mom's friends? James Lowe maybe?

I could see the possibility of JL giving X a ride, and bringing him back to the alleged trap house, which had allegedly been used as a place to house sex workers, and drug traffickers. Could something bad have happened to X age the trap house?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Binx005
Back