ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fast swooping down on this story by "48 hrs". Interesting that his sister was in a "slasher movie" back in 2011. He probably went to see it at age 17. His high school days and being bullied seemed to have eased up in his senior year. I take what that one classmate says, having four classes with him in recent times that BK was able to fit in enough to appear comfortable with himself, and I think, opinionated.

Benjamin Roberts was in four classes with Kohberger at Washington State. Roberts spoke with "48 Hours'" correspondent Peter Van Sant for a report on this case titled "The Idaho Student Murders," airing Saturday, Jan. 7 at 10/9c on CBS and streaming on Paramount+.

"Roberts told Van Sant that Kohberger "seemed comfortable around other people. He was very quick to offer his opinion and thoughts...."

[...]

Kohberger grew up in eastern Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains, where his father was a maintenance worker. His mother worked in the school system. He has two older sisters, Melissa and Amanda — and, back in 2011, Amanda, now a school counselor, appeared in the low-budget slasher film "Two Days Back," about a group of young students viciously murdered by a serial killer.

[...]

Two high school friends of Bryan Kohberger's, Casey Arntz and a young woman named Bree, who asked to have her last name kept private, agreed to talk with "48 Hours." The women say Kohberger was overweight and was bullied a lot in high school, until his senior year, when he lost about 100 pounds.

BBM, UBM, and MOO

All right... who closed the door to the last room on me again?? Man. A person's gotta be lightning speed fast around this joint! lol

My reply from the last thread:

You know, I've given this some thought of what was going on in the mind of DM. What came to mind was her gut was telling her something was wrong. Hence getting up and looking out several times. She thought she heard crying, the dog barking, and a male voice say something like "it's ok, I’m going to help you.", then seeing a masked guy walking toward the back. But I then think she overruled her gut feeling with a "Nah... it couldn't be what it sounds like" (something odd going on that wasn't normal).

I'm going to venture a guess that this might have been one of her first, if not only, weird experiences with the evil that walks through our lives, so it was new to her, and likely confusing. It's kinda like the cartoons of the good angel on one shoulder arguing with the devil on the other shoulder. In her case it wasn't a devil and angel doing the arguing, it was her gut and her brain disputing what the gut was telling her. I'm just glad she's alive and unscathed. Although mentally I'm pretty sure she's messed up. I just hope that with time she'll be able to let go of all the ugliness of that night and be a happy and healthy young lady. :)

All MOO taken from how I interpreted statements in the affidavit.

I think Gavin DeBecker describes this phenomena through several examples in his book The Gift of Fear. He gives examples of how people's instinct tells them something is wrong or dangerous but they have been socialized not to trust their instincts. For example, you're a woman, and at the end of the day in a building that's mostly empty, the elevator arrives at your floor and the door opens. It's a large man you don't know and you feel uneasy. Do you get into that elevator--a steel, soundproof box, or do you wait for another elevator or someone to go with you? Most people get into the elevator because we are socialized to be polite.

Being found not guilty is not the same as being found innocent. Just saying.

And the legal presumption of innocence remains a standard of the legal system, which is only part of life. Sometimes Justice takes some wicked turns.

If I were to be put on this jury, I would indeed go by only the facts in evidence and Idaho laws. But I'm not on the jury and not a resident of Idaho.
Exactly.

So I am reading the affidavit and it says "Also in the room was a male..." Ie both were found in the bedroom

Everything of any sober source I have read says Ethan and Xana were found in bedroom. Is there some source to contradict he police saying both Ethan and Xaa were found in the bedroom?
It's vague....

I think Gavin DeBecker describes this phenomena through several examples in his book The Gift of Fear. He gives examples of how people's instinct tells them something is wrong or dangerous but they have been socialized not to trust their instincts. For example, you're a woman, and at the end of the day in a building that's mostly empty, the elevator arrives at your floor and the door opens. It's a large man you don't know and you feel uneasy. Do you get into that elevator--a steel, soundproof box, or do you wait for another elevator or someone to go with you? Most people get into the elevator because we are socialized to be polite.
Great book!!!!

ABC News just did a report from outside the house....behind the house with it in the background. You could clearly see the house and see inside. The reporter could have been standing right where BK parked. Heck he could have parked there several times and easily watched through the windows.
ick

Re: where X’s body was found, I actually interpreted this part of the PCA to mean that she was found on the floor in the bedroom (i.e., as the officer was going down the hall approaching the bedroom, he saw her body laying on the floor in the bedroom).

Especially since the next line is “Also in the room was a male…”

But it’s not entirely clear.

Attachments

• 051EA884-EA4E-48B4-868A-EDDB4D8F12B4.jpeg
    051EA884-EA4E-48B4-868A-EDDB4D8F12B4.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 36
''STROUDSBURG, Pa. - It's been one week since Idaho killings suspect Bryan Kohberger was identified and arrested in the Poconos. As many remain stunned by the details in the unsealed affidavit, 69 News is learning more about what people watching from Pennsylvania can expect next in the case.

"This is not a typical DNA case," said Dr. Greg Hampikian, a world-renowned forensic biologist and the director of the Idaho Innocence Project at Boise State University.

Dr. Hampikian notes there may or may not be more DNA evidence in the case against Kohberger.''

"The DNA match was done between the knife sheath DNA and the father of the suspect on this garbage, so essentially, they did a paternity test on some garbage," said Hampikian.''

''The preliminary hearing still needs to be scheduled, but it is likely the next time we'll get information on what investigators know about the horror in Moscow.''

Let's remember, when DM gave her statement to police she was aware of the murders and the unspeakable things that happened. Go back to her state of mind when this horrific event was occurring or had occurred, (UNBEKNOWNEST TO HER AT THE TIME, before she knew anything) then everything she saw and heard that night could absolutely be par for the course in that residence and many other residences or dorms on a college campus. The only thing that was unusual about it was the man passing by her doorway, wearing a mask and this caused her fear. She locked her door and maybe or maybe not called others and spoke about the guy in the mask, or she simply fell asleep. Not one thing unusual. Now that we know what happened one can go back and question everything.

Okay, so from what I can tell about how precise cell phone triangulation can be, the answer is definitely:

It depends on many variables.

So, in short, we don't know in this case. We do know the phone was off during the time of the murders, so it's pretty much immaterial what the phone was doing while in the house.

However, in many cases it can be quite precise. As for an actual number in meters or yards or feet, the answers I'm finding vary wildly and many are from the past. 3 meters to ¾ of a mile is a pretty wide set of numbers.

However, with GPS (which surely his new phone had) it becomes more precise. Even so, GPS isn't always precise, either.

Not like finding DNA on a sheath precise.

''STROUDSBURG, Pa. - It's been one week since Idaho killings suspect Bryan Kohberger was identified and arrested in the Poconos. As many remain stunned by the details in the unsealed affidavit, 69 News is learning more about what people watching from Pennsylvania can expect next in the case.

"This is not a typical DNA case," said Dr. Greg Hampikian, a world-renowned forensic biologist and the director of the Idaho Innocence Project at Boise State University.

Dr. Hampikian notes there may or may not be more DNA evidence in the case against Kohberger.''

"The DNA match was done between the knife sheath DNA and the father of the suspect on this garbage, so essentially, they did a paternity test on some garbage," said Hampikian.''

''The preliminary hearing still needs to be scheduled, but it is likely the next time we'll get information on what investigators know about the horror in Moscow.''

Ha. I'm laughing a little at Dr. Hampiklan because at this point in time, they don't just have trash.

They now have the actual person of BCK. He has his DNA in his body and by now he's given a sample that matches the sheath.

Game over. No more need for genetic genealogy and probable cause. It's very similar to the Joe DeAngelo case. Once they had narrowed the field, they went and got his actual DNA for a match.

I'm pretty sure that they have all kinds of BK DNA under study (gained directly from him) at this point.

New thread opened up before I could answer this question

" What I want to know is why do so many people keep asking other forum members 'why did x do y'. Are we supposed to be able to read other people's minds? Why keeping asking why?"

I think maybe we are just wanting to know what others on here may be thinking. We don't have answers but maybe someone's input could lead us in the right direction. Just looking for opinions and thoughts about things. This is a discussion board and hearing others opinions is interesting and can also be enlightening. Sometimes some of us even get it right. Much of the time, not so much.....

that is so true!!!!

I was quite certain LE would not have put those patrol officers in danger by purposely having them pull BK over. I think BK is one poor driver!

I’m a bit shocked that it seems LE knew he may be dangerous, and yet PD along the route were not informed. Either of those traffic stops could have become complicated- if BK had been in a different kind of mood and felt trapped.

JMO

During the Penn. press conference I was struck by the (county?) Asst. DA from Penn saying that he thought kuhberger waived contesting extradition was the "need to know" what was in the arrainment documents:
(time 20:25 - 20:45)

I think that is a directly reference to Kohberger having to, every day, add to the circumstantial case against him by being observed continually and obviously attempting to hide DNA sourcing at his Pennsylvania residence, eg placing his garbage at neighbors, using gloves etc.

He needed to know if they had his DNA at the scene or not. If not, he would not have wanted to be observed doing what he was doing with the garbage and would be able to stop.

By the way, those PA cops and that shlubby/disheveled but cool coded language dropping DA fit every positive stereotype I hold of PA staties and DA's I have known.

So I am reading the affidavit and it says "Also in the room was a male..." Ie both were found in the bedroom

Everything of any sober source I have read says Ethan and Xana were found in bedroom. Is there some source to contradict he police saying both Ethan and Xaa were found in the bedroom?

It's vague....
The officer was directed down the hall "to the bedroom". It seems pretty clear to me his destination. JMO

Absolutely agree, but you stop second guessing your instincts when something happens to you. After that you have to tamp those instincts down as they are on high alert all the damn time.

That is what I fear for these two victims who survived, it will take some therapy and time for them to feel safe even in the locked doors of their own home.
If you include all of those who came to the house, that is a lot of kids traumatized.

It is January, a week or so before students return to school for the spring semester. More than a handful will not be returning, they will be unable as they need time to heal.
While their peers are making plans for classes, jobs, relationships, and graduation, spring break, parties, they will be unable to move forward.

Prayers for the families of the victims, the survivors families and friends

JMO

Last edited:
Being found not guilty is not the same as being found innocent. Just saying.

And the legal presumption of innocence remains a standard of the legal system, which is only part of life. Sometimes Justice takes some wicked turns.

If I were to be put on this jury, I would indeed go by only the facts in evidence and Idaho laws. But I'm not on the jury and not a resident of Idaho.
Having read the affidavit numerous times, I do not have reasonable doubt that BK is innocent. He is guilty, based on the details in the affidavit, imo. Yet, I see people saying they could not convict - they need more evidence. We all have our own opinions. Still, I'm reminded of the news that broke on Aug. 16, 1977: Elvis was found dead in his Memphis home. Those reports, of course, led millions of people to immediately believe that Elvis was alive.

Same as it ever was . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member