ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was discussed at length in other threads. Half the forum agreed with the above. The other half could see it. My takeaway: every family is different and while it may seem unusual to some, it seems perfectly ordinary to others. For that reason, I don't think it's relevant to the crime. JMO.
Well, I've been following true crime nearly all my life and I think it is very revelant. We don't know what the father knows at this point.

The problem here is the word "planned." When normal people say that, we imagine a logical, coherent, reasonable mind setting a goal and then planning steps, imagining obstacles, and arriving at a "plan." The sort of people who do mass murder do not think the way we think. I've referenced Cullen's book on Columbine here before; he describes in detail the "plans" one of the killers made, intending to slaughter 500+ people by setting off bombs in the school. It's a lucky thing for many that the bombs were duds and he/they failed. It wasn't for lack of "planning." It's that these people are not like us. They are wired differently mentally and emotionally. Their "motives" and "plans" do not resemble what we call motives and plans. I mean, if someone STARTS with the thought, "I'm going to break into a house and kill all the college kids living there," what plan, exactly, is going to make sense when the objective is monstrous, malignant, and inhuman. We realize that what he intended to do was horrific and nothing we would ever consider but we miss that his other decision-making processes are similarly distorted. Not all of them get caught, but not all of them decide to slaughter 4 people in one house either, in the era of DNA, forensic genealogy and mass surveillance.
No “plan” is ever going to make sense to those of us with rational thought, but yes, he did plan at least some of what took place that night.

i'm pursuing the notion that the knife sheath he left behind may have been symbolic rather than accidental, like a signature.
To that end I'm going down a lot of cul-de-sacs.
IMO if BCK deliberately left the sheath behind (I don't think so but...) then he thought it was wiped clean and meant to point LE toward a Marine veteran. This would require a real KaBar, not a knock-off.

He lived 14 minutes away.
Yes, I know but post is referring to after the murders when he turns his phone back on and is way South in the vicinity of Blaine (begins pinging). Some were speculating on why he turned his phone back on then and one suggestion was that after randomly driving south to get as far away from the scene as possible (not returning home to Pullman immediately) maynhave been because he lost his way.

ETA Mean to write, speculation was he could have turned phone back on near Blaine, and not when he got home, because he had lost his way and needed to use google maps or the like to reorientate.

Do you believe BCK was as prepared for this night as he thought he was? I wonder if at any minute he had even an inkling to say to himself, nope not tonight. The fact that he had trouble parking his car and then his exit route, makes me wonder if when he got there and even in the act itself if he got scared or got confused? Like was said "sloppy." I'm actually surprised that if BCK saw DM that he left her alive. I'm guessing he did not see her or if he did it didn't register.

Do you accept the fact that BCK was so bright/smart?? I don't. IMO, he was above average. He was able to receive a BA, then a master's by default IMO. I doubt he would have completed the PhD.

<modsnip: Removed speculation on mental health conditions>
We have no reason not to believe people's assessment of him from schools--he is obviously very book smart. However, that doesn't mean he can pull off the perfect murder.

Why masters by default?

Totally possible, but it's also possible he crep by her room. Keep in mind that he was not even out of his car before the DoorDash was dropped off. The Elenatra was last seen on camera at 4:04. Given it would take a few minutes to get in, he may not have entered or may have snuck by
How do you know that BK wasn't out of his car before DoorDash arrived? I must have missed that. I was figuring BK went through the back door (on the 2nd floor) and then went up to the 3rd floor (say at 4:06am). After 5 or 6 mins, he was finished killing MM & KG (say 4:12). Meantime, XK has gone down to meet the delivery guy at the front door (say 4:10), which would make sense why her phone times-out of TikTok at 4:12. Seconds later they come face to face on the 2nd floor.

Considering he probably came in the way he left (out the back), he would have no reason to creep past XK's room. He went out of his way to get there, and I suspect it's because he chased her there as she ran back to EC..

Just a theory.

Well, I've been following true crime nearly all my life and I think it is very revelant. We don't know what the father knows at this point.

I'm talking about the reason his father did it. It's been debated and debated and all we got was varying opinions. There are media reports (posted in the media thread, sorry don't have them handy but will look for them) that the trip was pre-planned.

Consider this: Do we know that his father didn't drive out to WA with BK and fly back home back in August? My own son does not like to travel alone at all. He will not travel any distance by car without another human being. Everyone is different.
That is a very good point. LE has to really dig up his travel history to see if he flys a lot ( I doubt) or not. But he certainly enjoys drive alone in midnight.

He is not a young kid, he's twenty-eight years old. What has it got to do with the murder if 'as you posted' that his father may have drove out in August? I'm confused here.
There does not have to be some nefarious "reason" why the father flew out to accompany his son back to Pa. It may well have been that his father chose to do it, so that his son would not have to drive cross-country alone. As a father, myself, that makes perfect sense to me. And my son is older than BK, but I would love to have that kind of father-son time again. Your screen name hints that perhaps you prefer to travel alone. That is fine, but not everyone does. JMO

Last edited:
IMO, are you sure the shoes are gone? It looked like BK was wearing Vans shoes when he got off the plane in Idaho.
To my knowledge, an arrested suspect does not get to keep wearing the same shoes he was wearing when he arrived at the county jail.

After the inmate is processed, they are issued a jail uniform including footwear. I believe they are even issued jail underwear and their personal clothing and property collected and stored.

So no, it's extremely doubtful that BK was wearing his own shoes, the Van shoes that left an imprint at the murder scene, when he got off the airplane in Idaho. JMO

And, I agree, he may have seriously over-estimated his own abilities, intellect and crime knowledge and very much under-estimated the small town MPD's ability to investigate and solve this crime. IMHO, he seemed to have an elevated view of his intellect and crime smarts, and thought he knew far more than others, including the MPD. If true, that was another serious miscalculation on his part.
IMO this might be arrogance but it also might be his general awkwardness in life, his lack of foreseeing consequence (whether in meeting "ladies" in bars or committing mass murder).

I'm having a real problem justifying the cost of flying across country to Washington State to help your son drive home 2600 miles away. Certainly, a couple nights of lodging would be much cheaper than someone flying across country to help someone drive non-stop home. Doesn't make sense to me any way I can try to make it make sense, know what I mean?
If my son was going to school on the other side of the country and called me for help, I would absolutely do everything I could to help including flying in and helping him drive across the country. Most especially if I found out there was 4 students murdered at a college close by. Obviously, I would not be thinking my child would be the one who would have committed these murders. Right now I do not think there is anything Malicous on the part of his father. When I watch the video of the Indiana traffic stops it just seems like he was helping his child. Although, my child has not needed any help like this, previously I have had siblings call for help and I have driven quite a distance(1700 miles) to assist them.

He is not a young kid, he's twenty-eight years old. What has it got to do with the murder if 'as you posted' that his father may have drove out in August? I'm confused here.
My son is not a "young kid" either. He just does not like to drive alone. Period. For BK, if his father drove with him to WA, then flew back in August that would be an indicator that BK just did not like driving alone. EITHER direction. We don't know if he did or did not. It was just something to consider.

In any case, it's not that weird for a parent to fly out to visit (even if briefly) and travel back home with their children for a lot of people. Call me guilty if it is. Happens all the time for me. I've seen some great parts of our country because of it. :)

I did a very rough 10 sec google search and was surprised how much the second hand Elantra worth. It is around 15000. When did a second hand Hyundai coat that much? Am I totally behind the current world or it is a covid era supply-demand thing?
Was that for a 2015 Elantra?

The sheath was stamped USMC. Ka-bar sells a knife with just such a sheath. it explains why the Home Depot guy said the police asked if they sold Ka-bar knives.
MOO. Thinking the sheath was brand new so perhaps the knife was purchased relatively recently. If the sheath looked at all used/worn it's not as likely that LE would be asking local stores like Home Depot whether they'd recently sold a KA-bar knife.

I'm having a real problem justifying the cost of flying across country to Washington State to help your son drive home 2600 miles away. Certainly, a couple nights of lodging would be much cheaper than someone flying across country to help someone drive non-stop home. Doesn't make sense to me any way I can try to make it make sense, know what I mean?
Maybe there doesn’t need a justification. Some people have parents that will do things like that for them, to keep them company, spend time with them. MOO

Ambiguous wording, though I thought the car drove by twice during the interview, but not after noon MST.
It is ambiguous, maybe sloppy reporting. He couldn’t drive by as “the media and police were at work“ - at least not at work on the Idaho murder case - earlier than LE actually arrived. The 911 call didn’t come until 11:58 am.

Equating boxing skills to stabbing someone in the chest is a stretch. Throwing a punch is a completely different movement. Doesn't even involve the same muscle groups. Not remotely close. Stabbing someone to death would require very little skill, IMO. Some strength, coordination, and determination would get it done. MOO, but supported by a Black Belt and knife fight training.
Seems incongruous to have the forethought to plant a sheath and yet drive around with his cell phone.
I doubt he would plant the sheath. There's no conceivable reason to do that. He's no mastermind or tricky TV show killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean