ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 66

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the PCA he was not going at a great rate of speed towards the house at 3:45am. It just says the car was traveling westbound before it made a few passes past the King Road residence. The car was seen leaving at a high rate of speed at approximately 4:20am though. As for leaving at a high speed, IMO he was probably full of adrenaline and wasn't concerned about anything else at that particular moment.
Yes, I’m just recalling this:
B68C7659-570F-41A9-BD28-F96A503C3265.jpeg
556DC365-159B-4236-AB5E-4602304E714B.jpeg

King rd dead end at 1126, 1122 king rd actually faces queen. If he left out the back sliding door he would walk/run behind 1126 if car is there then turn right on queen and pass the home (1122).

Jmo
Still confused a little lol. The AA says the car was headed eastbound on queen, then presumably it parked somewhere, then says it was seen leaving fast from the area of the residence. MOO

Wait, is that true? Give a source? AFAIK, we do not know when he moved in.
But if he moved in the apartment only in August... but had a hairdressers appointment in Pullman in early July... this gives me many questions! Starting with - where the heck was he living before and why did he change (assumably after a short time period)?

Hairdresser article link: In the video, Perez said, "Bryan Kohbeger was one of my regulars. I have been cutting his hair since July. The first time Bryan ever contacted me was through voicemail."
MOO: I have seen it reported as 8th of July, but could not find source to that atm - maybe it's in the audio.
If you watch the video you can see the appointment log and you can see July 8th.

Since they have a court order barring communication about this case, we have no clue if BK has an alibi or witnesses for his defense. All we have is this affidavit, which they presented to take him in without any questioning and before searching his home. Am I getting the timing right?

If there had been another person in the car and they both were involved, that’s interesting.

If there is an alibi (friend, romantic interest) and there’s no other DNA than the snap, that’s also interesting.

Our big assumption is that there is a lot more of BK’s DNA in that house.

This has been puzzling me for a while.
Why did he drive around like an angry maniac, not lie in wait looking at the house like a cold blooded murderer. Well, most likely because at that time, he was closer to an angry maniac than to a cold blooded murderer.
Also makes me doubt he chose based on the house.
Yes. What says the evidence so far? That on NOV 13 he drove around (and around and around) rather than wait. Reckless re calculated self protection, more inclined to be manic and driven in his approach than patient and calculating.

But if he moved in the apartment only in August... but had a hairdressers appointment in Pullman in early July... this gives me many questions! Starting with - where the heck was he living before and why did he change (assumably after a short time period)?

Hairdresser article link: In the video, Perez said, "Bryan Kohbeger was one of my regulars. I have been cutting his hair since July. The first time Bryan ever contacted me was through voicemail."
MOO: I have seen it reported as 8th of July, but could not find source to that atm - maybe it's in the audio.
Oops, I certainly don't want to lead everyone astray. I do remember a big discussion about when his apartment would have become available to him, so I must have incorrectly assigned a date from there.

If the apartment is tied to the school, colleges generally have pretty firm move in dates for school housing. The apartment wouldn't have been available to him too far ahead of the first day of school. But, if it was just an apartment complex that was popular with married students, that's entirely different and he could have moved in at any time.

I suppose if he waited at the doorway for them to come to him. It’s part of our training when working with the types of people I worked with to draw them away from the door and run when they have a sharp object, but of course these kids wouldn’t be likely to have had such training. I’m way more afraid of a combatant armed with a knife than a gun, because if you have to engage them, you’re getting cut. I’m astounded that the perpetrator didn’t have extensive injuries of his own, really. I literally thought at the beginning that the perpetrator must have known them well enough to have drugged them or something at first based on the fact that they didn’t find someone who’d needed many stitches on the night of, or who was noticed by friends, family, coworkers, etc. with fresh wounds, just because it is so unusual for the perpetrator not to end up with wounds of offense - we had a guy who’d been caught because he’d lost two fingers in the process of wounding another person. That only has bearing on here because it strikes me as so very unusual that BK (or whomever the perpetrator is found to be) had no appreciable wounds to speak of. MOO
We don't know if BK had "appreciable wounds" or not. He was arrested a month after the crimes & in a video of one traffic stop on his way back to PA, some of us think there is a wound on his right wrist. I believe there is.

At least three of the victims were defenseless IMO. Sleeping. At least KG & MM had some level of intoxication. EC may have awoken when XK was attacked but if so, didn't get far. XK was probably the only one fully awake.

The surprise element & long fixed blade knife were key to the success of these killings.

Even a light sleeper would be unlikely to be able to do much self defense once a knife pierced a vital organ.

It's a very diabolical crime since the victims had no means or chance of any real self defense IMO

JMO

That’s what my husband keeps saying. He keeps saying Ethan was such a big kid! It he was asleep? I guess the girls were all so little and it seems Kaylee and Xana were the only 2 awake??? Maddie and Ethan were asleep???

Even little Mickey shunick got a gout swipe at Brandon Scott Lavergne. BUT, he was driving. So he was vulnerable and she caught him off guard. I think Bryan had the element of surprise on his side. When i wake my husband up he will grab me and sit up ready to fight and I’m like CHILL! Most people aren’t like that….
A bit O/T, but it was the Mickey Shunick case that finally got me to join WS, after lurking for a few years. She put up a helluva fight for her life, almost killing BSL in the process, and helped to solve her own case in doing so. My hope is that at least one of these four souls managed to get BK's DNA under their nails, while fighting back, or attempting to protect themself, or in some other way left evidence behind that will clearly place him at the scene of the murders, and will strengthen the case against this monster, assuring he will never be free to harm another innocent person. JMO

I would like more on this conversation between BK's neighbor and his dad. Was the neighbor afraid of BK? Between his dad driving home with him and asking the neighbor to be his son's friend, I really think there was known mental health concerns within his family, whether they suspected him of murder or not.

How many times do we know that BK's dad visited? Only upon move-in and then the drive to PA?

Yes. What says the evidence so far? That on NOV 13 he drove around (and around and around) rather than wait. Reckless re calculated self protection, more inclined to be manic and driven in his approach than patient and calculating.
And left a knife sheath with his dna on it next to a dead young woman, who coincidentally died from a stab wound, as well as three other occupants in the house.

Copied from the last thread. In checking my notes, I notice that on Dec 12th, Chief Fry was still asking for any info on the occupant, or occupants of the Hyundai, referring to them as a plural. There was lots of discussion about his word choices at the time. Not sure it means anything but, there it is. 0:26 at the video.

Its 2 minutes from 1122. I think he was killing time, getting up his nerve, to do the murders.

When I’m nervous about an event or thing (granted, not a murder!), I make sure I’m early, sometimes too early, and might park or drive in the area so as to not arrive too soon, and get myself together, gather my courage. (Is that weird?)

I posted that because its the furst I have seen that his dad was there when BK moved IN.

I have to wonder if the dad planned to drive back with him before he was arrested.

Jmo
I checked on google maps. I can't see past houses and trees the direction he was driving. Unless there is some clear spot along the way? On the other side of the housing is the highway. Google maps gives a street view and you can turn it in the direction of travel. Cool. JMO

Looks like the kind of area kids would park to make out—or do drugs. Remote residential area, no street lights on one side of the street, and a nice view at night. Maybe BK needed some chemical courage before the murders? JMO, but a drug such as meth would explain some of his erratic behavior while driving by 1122 several times then parking immediately before the murders. Might also explain his oversight in leaving the sheath behind at the scene and the savagery of the attack.

This has been puzzling me for a while.
Why did he drive around like an angry maniac, not lie in wait looking at the house like a cold blooded murderer. Well, most likely because at that time, he was closer to an angry maniac than to a cold blooded murderer.
Also makes me doubt he chose based on the house.
And yes, I've decided that the evidence says he had a target or targets in the house, he didn't choose the house and then the targets IMO. I think he was simply reckless about being caught, or, as other's have suggested, looked down on local LE and had convinced himself he was above their skills.MOO. Perhaps he left very little of himself (DNA) inside the premises and that was the extent of his more meticulous planning IMO..I kinda feel that the PCA would have described at least one obvious bloody shoe print (not just one hard to see latent print) if he'd left any, IMO. So Booties to my mind, gloves and some kind of non shedding clothing. Have to wait and see. Speculation

Browneyes posted what she’d be pondering about until the hearing in June and one of them was WHY THAT NIGHT? Or something to that effecct. Sorry brown eyes if I’m getting it wrong….

BUT, i started thinking about several of your thoughts and that one hit me like a bolt of lightning after it meshed with you pointing out the cars in the front. Kaylee’s Range Rover. It was her last night there! She was was moving to Austin!!!

y’all may all be going duh! But this is the first time i thought of this, and i feel so silly for not thinking of it sooner. It was his last chance to eliminate her. I hate typing that :(
But that night in his mind he thought now or never, so he literally went Rambo. It WASN’T well planned. She was graduating early!! THAT caught him off guard!!
It wasn't Kaylee's last night there. She was staying until Tuesday. IMO

Do we have time stamps and actual locations for the points at which he disabled his phone en route and reactivated it after?

What we don't know is whether he'd attemped this before. Dry run or even aborted mission.

Perhaps taking his phone was a mistake, one he'd quickly realized. Rather than turning back, perhaps he decided to pivot. Alibi, out for a drive. Phone turned off and -- interval -- turned back on in the same area. So he could say he went for a drive, parked for an hour, then went home. Nowhere near Moscow.

I wonder what 1122 looked like at 3:26.

Ethan, likely asleep. X, awake, waiting on her phone, but that's not proof lights were on. M, possibly asleep. He wouldn't have been there to see K let Murphy out, probably around 2am.

I think BK had every reason to believe in his stealth. Slither in, slither out. Bet he was a child prowler. Just trawling through his own family home at all hours, while others slept. Solely because he could. Seems like that might give someone a bit of God complex.

If he'd done even a cursory online search of that address, he had the layout. To get to the third floor, D's was the only room he has to pass by. For all we know he already peered into D's room, through her window. Gave him confidence she was asleep. Maybe looked in X's room. Maybe saw one body in the bed, felt safe there.

Enter in through the slider, slide by D's room, take the staircase, enter the room previously identified with the M, and attack/incapacitate. Reverse direction, exit kitchen slider. In and out in, what? 3 minutes?

IMO he hadn't factored for K being home.
Hadn't factored for X being awake.
Hadn't factored for E being there.
Hadn't factored for a scuffle or noise. .
Hadn't factored for X moving freely about the house.
Hadn't factored for Murphy.
Hadn't factored for D, waking up.

Novice calculus.

JMO

Last edited:

Maybe he was in town for an interview related to his admission and needed a haircut before the interview?

Why was it so easy for him to know where to quickly enter the house? Or did he just get lucky?
#1 - Surveillance (he had observed or stalked the location at least 12 times)

#2 - A sliding door entrance in back of the house on the 2nd level was an easy to overcome barrier even if locked, which was unlikely

Please read the PCA if you haven't. Your questions have been thoroughly explored in these threads since the vulnerability of the house itself plays a large role in these crimes. It was a known party house often full of friends & likely strangers to the occupants, as well.

Welcome to Websleuths!

Last edited:
And yes, I've decided that the evidence says he had a target or targets in the house, he didn't choose the house and then the targets IMO. I think he was simply reckless about being caught, or, as other's have suggested, looked down on local LE and had convinced himself he was above their skills.MOO. Perhaps he left very little of himself (DNA) inside the premises and that was the extent of his more meticulous planning IMO..I kinda feel that the PCA would have described at least one obvious bloody shoe print (not just one hard to see latent print) if he'd left any, IMO. So Booties to my mind, gloves and some kind of non shedding clothing. Have to wait and see. Speculation
And by witness account he wore a mask that covered nose and mouth to avoid dna droplets from those areas

And left a knife sheath with his dna on it next to a dead young woman, who coincidentally died from a stab wound, as well as three other occupants in the house.
Yes, he did. I was thinking aloud over the facts of his approach to the house and his recklessness of vrooming through the local streets numerous times before finally parking at c 4.06ish (according to my calculations). His approach has been occupying my mind for a couple of weeks at least. I need to move on!!

ETA: btw, not sure I'm understanding your ref to coincidentally...I'm of the opinion that BK murdered all four of those poor young people and accidentally left the sheath in the upstairs room. MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member