ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 67

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - I don't post really, but had a thought that I'd like to throw out and see what comments you guys might have. KB did kill these kids - didn't spare the two but was disciplined, times up, time to leave, sort of. The whole thing thoroughly planned, thought out, etc., but not planned to avoid being caught but planned not to see a conviction.
It's intriguing that no-one thinks he didn't do it, everyone wants to fry him, but maybe that's not of interest to him - maybe he's trying to prove that it doesn't mean anything to be charged with a crime if you don't get convicted. And maybe he's put this together with just enough confusion and doubt that he will not be convicted. Perhaps it's his statement/ perspective of the criminal justice system on a different level which would reconcile his doctoral intelligence with this inexplicable crime.
I don't know that I'm even making much sense LOL - but it crossed my mind...
Welcome, @ChrisM Great entry. When I read that LE collected BK's "FireTV stick with cord/plug" I couldn't help but think why he'd leave that behind. Cuz if it's incriminating in anyway, it's a dumb move. It's too easy to get rid of.

So, maybe there's something on it that he wanted LE to see.

Or maybe I sipped my wine too fast. LOL

How does the discovery work? Is the defense entitled to everything they have at that moment in time? Or is anything they find even after the date the discover was filed need to be sent over too?
Can the prosecution hold anything back? Keep any cards to their chest or do they have to send everything ?
Yes, the defense is entitled to all of the evidence that the prosecution has and the prosecution is required to provide the evidence to the defense. If they were to hold back and try to surprise them at trial with - let's say - a large blood-stained knife that they found under BCK's mattress - that would be known as "unfair surprise". It could be the basis for a mistrial or for that evidence to be excluded from the jury.

I paused one of the traffic stop videos and got a good view of the center stack. I found the specs for the same head unit and it is not a GPS-capable one. The other option available for that year does have GPS but it has a giant screen ("infotainment" type) and it not even similar to what he has in the video.
Excellent job finding that information.

I'm trying to remember from the affidavit if they said the dog was heard barking at 4:17am. One thought I had was, if there was a murder happening on the 3rd floor before then, why would the dog start barking at 4:17? It seems the dog would start barking when it either encountered BK or he heard or saw the attack. I don't think the dog would wait until after all the chaos was over on the 3rd floor and THEN start barking.

Between the affidavit and the search warrant, was he really getting his PhD? If all of this is true, he must have wanted to be caught, he is handing the clues over! I do not have anywhere near that degree, but he made such stupid mistakes! On a simpler note, what so up with all these Bryans/Brians? Laundrie, Kohburger, Walsh, it is crazy.

I have a hard time thinking of a possible reason why they wouldn't have taken his work computer or any other computerized equipment he would have worked on. I mean, there should have been something, right?
There might have been something and they might have served warrants at other locations.

I am wondering what happened on and before August 23 to lure him into that neighborhood and hoping that Murphy saves the day.
On Maddie's Instagram, she posted the same day BK got pulled over for a seatbelt violation after leaving the area of their house. You can kind of piece together a timeline from her account of what they were up to (normal college stuff).

With the extremely limited time frame BK would have had to commit these crimes, I can't picture there being time to wash up at 1122 King Road. Now Pullman, that's a whole other thing. Yet AFAIK it doesn't appear in the search warrant we're seeing.

JMHO
IMO, he didn't need to "wash up" anywhere because he was wearing an overall type of suit, gloves, booties and a mask that covered most of his body (except his eyes and forehead -- upper face or whole head if he didn't cover his hair) that he disrobed from and got rid of along with the knife and other items somewhere after the murders, and before he returned to his apartment.

And he could have had plenty of wet wipes in a pocket or sleeve or container in his car to clean off his face/hands/extremities & parts of his car that he had touched after leaving and disrobing/disposing of things after the crimes with before going home. And there has been discussion here on WS from OP (around Thread 49 IIRC) that he could have gone to a campground shower to clean off further when his cell was pinged several hours away that morning.

Everything may seem to be a stretch in this case to alot of people who don't think BK would have "gone outside the norm" to pull off these murders, which could be the case, or he could surprise everyone. JMOO

Listening to Police Scanner?

@schooling Yes, good point. Seems we would have read or heard if BCK had a scanner in his car.

IIRC, a member posted about listening to local LE radio (member's local, not Moscow) without a police/fire/public safety scanner, just w a smart phone app.

My quick searches did not locate info about whether this could be done in Moscow w a similar app. Anyone?
That app and website provides a feed resource for hobbyists who rebroadcast from their home. I could set up a feed for my locale and therefore allow users on the site/app to listen. If you had the app, the channels would be arranged by the host. IOW, if they have a north and south dispatch, you might get bounced between the two and have trouble following the conversation. Years ago, before a lot of big cities went to digital trunked with encryption, you could buy a relatively inexpensive scanner and listen easily. In my city all the high priority calls would be sent to a "HOT" channel. You had to manually lock onto the hot channel to listen to an incident. We had about 9 channels depending on the part of town. The several more for detectives, car to car, hot traffic, information, et cetera.

My city is largely digital trunked now, and almost any good traffic is moved to an encrypted channel you can't listen to. Also, a lot of traffic is now dispatched/discussed on their mobile computers and cell phones. The hobby has slowly died. It appears as though those little towns where these murders occurred are using old VHF analog FM, as we did years ago. A cheap radio could tune that in, but it wouldn't be a very useful in a case like this. If a call were dispatched while you are killing people in a home, you aren't gonna be monitoring at the same time. It wouldn't be practical anyhow. Police would have you believe they are used all the time in crimes and that's not true. Nevertheless, I kinda doubt he even owned a scanner. I would expect Moscow might not even tune in to handheld radio from Pullman. I couldn't hear subcities around here when I was big into the hobby, and they are a few miles away.

I'm not saying you misunderstood, or why you think it's possible that you might have. I was just asking cuz I'd think that comparing one dog hair with a different known hair could be done under a forensic microscope.
I do agree that finding any unknown hair, without having any idea as to what it belongs to, would need more hi tech ways to achieve that. I just thought that they'd compare with a known first. ;-)

I’m just visualizing the defense asking the guy how closely he’s studied the hair of golden doodles? How many different ones has he compared? “Remember, you’re speaking under oath! You gave a percentage chance of these hairs both being from the same dog. Is that based on science, or is it based on the fact that the prosecution is paying you?”

“Objection, your honor!”

(Note that I’m lousy at thinking up cross-examination questions.)

But I wondered if DNA comparison might be less controversial—since experts do it more often.

Marshall’s receipts will only list the department. So at most the line for it would read something along the lines of footwear/shoes. They *might* be able to get the brand from the store the Marshall’s ticket came from upon their item look-up but that’s only if the sales associate input that detailed information upon creation of the original ticket, which back when I once upon a time worked for a lone Marshall’s Shoe Shop we for the most part only made descriptive entries for higher end/designer items.
The receipt will have a date, time and register number. With that information, they can pull the video from when he checked out.

I just thought of something...when D & B called friends (Im assuming males) over the morning of the 13th and apparently, several spoke with the 911 operator and Im guessing one or more of those friends went inside if only to the second floor.
A lot of college kids wear Vans and easily could have stepped in something within the crime scene, maybe that latent shoe print was from one of them? We haven't head a lot about it, and I would think IF it was the killers it would be upfront and center as the sheath. IDK MOO
BINGO!!

He managed to kill four young people, including a man his size. I agree that his prep & cleanup are looking bad if suspicious items become significant evidence.

It's terribly sad the part he got right were the murders. I don't really think he was trying to be a master criminal but if he was, his lack of organizational skills or other decompensating parts of his mental faculties made success tenuous at best.

What was the trigger for acting on that night?

Is he already writing his book?

I'd love to see his mental health eval when he was first jailed.

MOO
Whomever the killer was, the evidence, at this time, points to BK. Motive in a murder case does NOT have to be introduced or even contemplated. In investigations, IMO, investigators use motive to initially discount a witness or suspect as "having no motive" , it is an initial tool to use to weed out the initial suspects in the case. Motive is extremely important in some cases where there is a clear and present connection to the victim and the suspect. In this case motive is very elusive and I don't believe, IMO, it will be a factor in the prosecution of this case.

Gotcha. Didn't know that. Thanks.
Yeah I think the idea he had an office at the university makes it sound a lot nicer than in all likelihood it was. I still remember my fellow TAs and I being shown our offices for the first time. We were super excited until we saw them and were like, "It's just a random room with several desks and chairs?" It looked like a utility closet. LOL

Even if his was nicer, I bet he was sharing it with multiple other students and wasn't there for more than a couple of hours a week anyway. We were required to maintain about 3 office hours a week, though people stayed longer, mainly to socialize with other TAs. I don't know what WSU's policy is for their TAs on how long they're required to be on campus in an office.

I agree. It's just nice to hear someone who has dealt with many cases put it plainly.

Video of his car circling the house is where I would start (for drama) with the jury. It also situates him clearly at the house, concealed, during the very brief time of the murders.
The car circling the house is basically like a shark circling in the water.

I just thought of something...when D & B called friends (Im assuming males) over the morning of the 13th and apparently, several spoke with the 911 operator and Im guessing one or more of those friends went inside if only to the second floor.
A lot of college kids wear Vans and easily could have stepped in something within the crime scene, maybe that latent shoe print was from one of them? We haven't head a lot about it, and I would think IF it was the killers it would be upfront and center as the sheath. IDK MOO
Personally, I think it was already more upfront and center than it needed to be. I just don't see any reason for it to be in the PCA at all unless it could be tied back to BK.

First post to this site - be kind, please.

From a legal standpoint, if evidence from his apartment ties to the victims and evidence from his parent's home
also points to his guilt, can the defense attorney refuse to continue with the case? Does the judge have any
discretion in discontinuing the trial? Yes, I understand the suspect has the right to a jury of his peers, but.......

From the perspective of an Idaho taxpayer, to proceed with such overwhelming evidence would be a total waste
of money. What has been the precendent is similar cases?
The public defender has a duty to continue with a defense. She could ask to be recused, but judges will generally not allow that. The only way this trial doesn't go forward is if he pleads guilty.

I would hate it. Don't they have to be quarantined the entire time with no TV/Computers etc?

It depends on the case and the jurisdiction as to whether the jury is sequestered. If there's a media frenzy, often the thinking is the jurors need to be protected from outside pressures. In his book on the O.J. case, Vince Bugliosi argued that sequestering the jury was one of five key factors that caused the (in his view, wrongful) acquittal.

I've been a juror on a murder trial in Santa Monica (where the OJ civil trial was held) and, even though the victim's father was an Emmy-nominated actor, we were NOT sequestered.

Personally, I think it was already more upfront and center than it needed to be. I just don't see any reason for it to be in the PCA at all unless it could be tied back to BK.
I don't think the PCA was the clearest about it, per se, but my interpretation was it was there more to support D's account of someone walking toward her room around 4:20 am. So, it's not a vital piece of evidence but does provide some mild substantiation for her claim and for their surmise that follows--he left shortly after the murders without lingering in the house, which the outside surveillance footage also confirms. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katgneal