ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 71

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don’t recall reading the exact size of the knife. I’ve wondered if any of the victims tried to fight back. This guy was a determined killer who’s adrenaline must have kicked in. I just can’t wrap my mind around it.
They know it was a 7" KaBar blade. From the sheath they found.

Wearing gloves in a grocery store? Seems literally pointless. Maybe I missed something.

He doesn't want to leave touch DNA - he knows that DeAngelo (GSK/EARONS) was captured using DNA from his car door handle. He's probably wearing gloves to drive the car, too.

After the Indiana traffic stop, surely he thought they were onto him (and "they" (LE including FBI) were indeed onto him.

Mens rea, IMO.

Basically a recap, but this article is just odd to me. Feels lazy. It almost is like it’s romanticizing the entire thing. Basically just a rehash of the actual news, MSM reports, tik toks, and using the girls Pinterest posts to try to explain who they are… for someone who doesn’t know about the case, I guess it does an okay job. MOO
Nah. There are way more details about younger BK and his personality. IMO Just in the first page.

The Vanity Fair article is definitely thought provoking. It mentions that the VSS posts on TapATalk have now been taken down (but preserves some of the best of them).

Now I'm wondering where high school BK obtained the funds to buy his heroin, as the family was in dire financial straits. There's new, sad information about Xana and her mom (who had to wear an ankle bracelet until Xana's birth, with the implication that otherwise she'd be using drugs - she was convicted of new drug charges when Xana was 5 months old).

The article also preserves the questionnaire that BK tried to use for his master's thesis (the one where he didn't get the survey data he needed and had to write a thesis without data).

We also learn that the girls at 1122 King liked "country and trap" music. Xana also liked Nirvana. And that housemate BM was at Sigma Chi at a party attended by Ethan and Xana, the night of the murders. Article also states that the passcode to the house's door had been shared around.

Also, according to this article, the alleged blood stains on the kitchen cabinets were in fact blood, and came from Maddie's room, just above.

I had forgotten that BK was seen wearing gloves (probably nitrile) when grocery shopping in PA. This well written article is Part 1 of an unknown number, but I'm guessing there's just one more part. It pauses right when LE is about to swoop down on the Kohberger residence in the middle of the night.
It's not Maddie's room over the kitchen, but Kaylee's room. If there was blood in that room then the dog Murphy most likely would have blood on her and they say she didn't. Did something first happen in the kitchen? Or are they blood stains but something left over from Friday night's party?

It's not Maddie's room over the kitchen, but Kaylee's room. If there was blood in that room then the dog Murphy most likely would have blood on her and they say she didn't. Did something first happen in the kitchen? Or are they blood stains but something left over from Friday night's party?

The dog was not present at the crime scene (in Maddies room) and had no blood on it.

See MPD. FAQ What Happened to the Dog in The House:

There have been numerous requests about the dog found at the residence on the morning of November 13th. Arriving officers entered the residence and found the deceased victims. During the search of the home, a dog was found in a room where the crimes had not been committed. Officers did not find any evidence on the dog and there was no indication the animal had entered the crime scene. The dog was taken to Animal Services and released to a responsible person.
While the dog was in the house when officers arrived, it has not been determined where the dog was physically located when the murders took place.

Heroin isn't that expensive, even less so back when he was in high school. There's a lot of ways he could have obtained funds. I have personally experienced the lengths an opiate addicted person will go to in order to obtain their D.O.C. JMO

It is not expensive and it shouldn't be expensive. It is poppyseed extract, essentially. I am not commenting on what makes it expensive, because we all have different opinions about the cause and reasons of modern opiate crisis, as well as ways to handle it.
But - there are genosets found in human genome that make people seven times as prone to abuse opiates as general population. It is not choice, it is genetics. So if people carry these genosets, and their drug is around, they are, essentially, doomed. So I hope more people nowadays view addicts as sick people, not as those consistently making bad choice. (((

(OH, big request. Naloxone is sold in pharmacies without prescriptions. For all of us, the ones who are not addicts and never were, and the ones who were, please, carry one syringe with you, and educate about symptoms of overdosing on opiates. It might save someone's life).

Wearing gloves in a grocery store? Seems literally pointless. Maybe I missed something.
IMO, reasons he may have worn gloves after the murders when out in public was maybe two-fold: (1) he didn't want to leave his "touch DNA" or fingerprints in public places in case LE was following him and looking for a way to collect fresh samples; and (2) he had injuries on his hands from committing the murders that would be obvious and the gloves covered them up.

Last edited:
It is not expensive and it shouldn't be expensive. It is poppyseed extract, essentially. I am not commenting on what makes it expensive, because we all have different opinions about the cause and reasons of modern opiate crisis, as well as ways to handle it.
But - there are genosets found in human genome that make people seven times as prone to abuse opiates as general population. It is not choice, it is genetics. So if people carry these genosets, and their drug is around, they are, essentially, doomed. So I hope more people nowadays view addicts as sick people, not as those consistently making bad choice. (((

(OH, big request. Naloxone is sold in pharmacies without prescriptions. For all of us, the ones who are not addicts and never were, and the ones who were, please, carry one syringe with you, and educate about symptoms of overdosing on opiates. It might save someone's life).

Agreed. Most of the addicts I know started out by doing opiates in pill/pharmaceutical form. Once pill mills and things started get shuttered, and pills became obscenely expensive, these people migrated to the much cheaper heroin.

I could be wrong, but I don't know that any of that has turned up in MSM. Correct me, please, folks, if I'm incorrect on this.
No one knows when/why DM left her room or whether/how she connected with BF. DM has a lot to explain when she testifies, but I refuse to cast any blame in her direction. Four of the five people who encountered the murderer were dead within minutes. Whatever happened, DM could only save herself, and she did. Blame is for the killer, not innocent bystanders who couldn't change a thing had either or both of them repeat dialed 911 for the following seven hours. Hindsight is often 20/20 but very few of us, even in our wildest imaginations, could think that a a noisy dog and brief but unexplained voices and one thud would foretell four people being butchered by a stranger in their own home when they'd most likely be asleep or preparing to sleep. None of us know how we might react when faced with inexplicable horror.

No one knows when/why DM left her room or whether/how she connected with BF. DM has a lot to explain when she testifies, but I refuse to cast any blame in her direction. Four of the five people who encountered the murderer were dead within minutes. Whatever happened, DM could only save herself, and she did. Blame is for the killer, not innocent bystanders who couldn't change a thing had either or both of them repeat dialed 911 for the following seven hours. Hindsight is often 20/20 but very few of us, even in our wildest imaginations, could think that a a noisy dog and brief but unexplained voices and one thud would foretell four people being butchered by a stranger in their own home when they'd most likely be asleep or preparing to sleep. None of us know how we might react when faced with inexplicable horror.
While there are many questions, at the end of the day I agree. The four were killed so quickly no phone call she made could have helped them. Obviously would’ve alerted authorities and had the investigation moving quicker. But there was one less victim and that poor girl has to live with all of this.

ETA: Re who was asleep when attacks began, I believe at a minimum that DM and and XK were likely awake and I also infer from the PCA that the attacks began in Maddie's room. I think it's possible XK awoke EC. or he awoke himself. I do tend to believe, at this moment, that KG and MM were both in MM's bed and likely asleep. MOO
snipped for focus

I agree with your post until we get to this part. Why would KG and MM choose MM's single bed when they could share (from crime scene photos) the big bed in KG's room? Plus DM thought she heard KG, directly above her, playing with her dog. I think the event began with everyone in their own beds and somehow ended with KG falling in MM's bed. <moo>

That's why I chuckled to myself when posters wrote last night that they were only going to believe official releases from LE. LE hasn't been a model of consistency in this case, at least not in the early weeks. LOL.

I wonder whether such conflicting reports can be introduced by the defense at trial to argue the MPD was untrustworthy from get-go. Between the coroner, the prosecutor and the MPD spokesperson, it was sort of "Keystone Kops" there for a short period.

Or are statements to the media outside the scope of admissible evidence? Anybody know?

(Please note: I'm not saying the MPD or other agencies are incompetent. I understand they were confronted with a particularly horrendous mass-murder in a jurisdiction where they hadn't had any murder for 7 or 8 years.

I'm just asking whether they can be made to appear incompetent, based on erroneous reports from the first weeks?)
IMO the MPD allowed everyone to believe DM was sleeping on the first floor to protect her, right up until her location and testimony was needed to put the suspect behind bars. Had her real location been released and had the suspect suddenly realized he might have been seen by a living witness, there's no reason to think that a murderer this bold and uncaring with his life on the line would not hunt down DM and kill her. "Bushy eyebrows" turned out to be a major clue in identifying Kohberger.

His neighbors seem to report him as cleaning, vacuuming, dealing with garbage in the middle of the night.

IMO.

Here's an article:

What to make of it?
Good question. It's always seemed odd to me that a grad student with a TA job (not working at type of job where you would get pretty dirty on a regular basis, like a mechanic or construction worker) would often be up all night making noises that sounded to his neighbors like he was "cleaning".

If it's true he was in the habit of running at night, he could have regularly showered afterwards, and also could be an insomniac who saved chores for the wee hours because he was awake and made use of that time for cleaning if he was busy during the day and evening with coursework and TA responsibilities.

More likely, IMO, he was experimenting and practicing for the murders he was planning and how much bodily evidence he would shed or transfer under different scenarios in terms of clothing, weapon, etc., and how well he could get rid of evidence from items he experimented with using shower, bleach, vacuum, etc.

MOO

They know it was a 7" KaBar blade. From the sheath they found.
Actually, they don't know for sure it was a Kabar knife based just on the sheath they found. Other poster(s) on here have indicated they bought a Kabar sheath for their knife, but their knife wasn't a Kabar. They liked the sheath and it fit their knife. I'm guessing that LE know what kind of knife was used based on the results of the autopsy that the medical examiner performed.

snipped for focus

I agree with your post until we get to this part. Why would KG and MM choose MM's single bed when they could share (from crime scene photos) the big bed in KG's room? Plus DM thought she heard KG, directly above her, playing with her dog. I think the event began with everyone in their own beds and somehow ended with KG falling in MM's bed. <moo>
I do think it's possible Kaylee left her own room to see what was happening across the hall, but even if she did, Murphy was above the kitchen, not DM's room. Maddie was above DM. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teadoughnutsdogbanjo