ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From NYTIMES reporter: not a murder-suicide
Cops are saying little, but the county coroner told me it was *not* a murder-suicide. All four appear to have been friends.

So….targeted attack? Because no threat to public?
Interestingly enough, several hours after the bodies were found on Sunday, the university send out a shelter in place alert. They called it off after 40 minutes. I wonder why they initially requested shelter in place, only to call it off so quickly? It seems they did think, at least temporarily, that there was a threat to the public.

Source: Four University of Idaho Students Discovered Dead in Off-Campus Home 'Believed to Be Victims of Homicide'

Cops are saying little, but the county coroner told me it was *not* a murder-suicide. All four appear to have been friends.

From your link:
Art Bettge, the mayor of Moscow, Idaho, said in an interview that the authorities were still investigating what had transpired but that the case was being treated as a homicide. He said the authorities did not believe that there was a “perceivable danger to the broader public,” but declined to say how the victims were killed or whether a suspect was at large.
Cathy Mabbutt, the Latah County Coroner, said that none of the victims were suspected of carrying out the attack and that all four deaths were considered homicides. Ms. Mabbutt said her office planned to conduct autopsies on Wednesday. She said she could not share any information about how the victims had been killed without the police authorizing her to do so.
What on earth? This reads like a murder mystery novel. What the heck does no “perceivable danger to the broader public” mean?

MOD NOTE:

I can’t count the posts I’ve removed from this thread or the number of violations for which they were removed.

Here are some things of note from our RULES of this site:

- Information stated as fact must be supported by a link to a mainstream media or law enforcement source (or other WS approved source) to substantiate the fact, otherwise the post will be removed, along with all responses to it. If the information is only your opinion, please make that clear in your post so that opinions do not become rumors attributed to Websleuths as the source.

- If you believe a fellow poster has violated the terms and conditions (rules) of this site, report them, don’t engage them on the public thread. If you simply don’t like the views or opinions of another poster, there is an option to “ignore” them. Utilize it.

As far as I can tell, law enforcement is investigating this as a homicide. No person(s) of interest or suspect has been named and there has been no suggestion drugs were involved. It’s fine to speculate within reason, but there is no need to personalize or engage in general discussion of college life, etc.

If you have a question, reach out to a Mod or Admin privately. We are happy to help. Thanks to those who help keep Websleuths amazing!

- Mad

Anyone here remember the Maggie Long case? Summary: teenager murdered in her home in the late afternoon/early evening hours in 2017. Police said there was no threat to the community. They still haven't found the killers as far as I know.

Wonder if this could be similar. I think if it was a murder/suicide (and that's why they said "no threat," that would have been released by now.

Reference:

What a horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to the loved ones of the victims.
I'm an alumni (decades ago.)

What puzzles me the most is saying that they have no suspect in custody, but they stopped the shelter-in-place on campus after only an hour.

If it is not a murder suicide, if one of the four killed the other three (homicide) could the killer have died from fatal wounds by one or more of the others? Then it wouldn't be suicide.
ETA: looks like according to the NYT as posted above, it is not a murder suicide.

Or, could the killer have been found dead elsewhere, and that has not been reported yet?

Could they be questioning someone but not yet calling them a suspect? IDK

Last edited:
It sounds like it was targeted and very specific to these victims, that LE knows why they were killed and who killed them. That makes more sense to me that they would say no danger to the community.

Did they say they have no suspect, or that they have no suspect in custody?

It sounds like it was targeted and very specific to these victims, that LE knows why they were killed and who killed them. That makes more sense to me that they would say no danger to the community.

Did they say they have no suspect, or that they have no suspect in custody?
Again I say, MOO, that anyone who kills four people is a danger to the community no matter why they did it. Even if it was incredibly targeted, someone who would do something like that cannot be trusted to not hurt someone else.

Lewiston Idaho Tribune facebook has several posts regarding this. <modsnip: comments on Facebook posts>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GEC0704