ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Died in Apparent Homicide, Moscow, 13 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At that age, I was just getting started at 11 PM and often up at 3 on weekend nights, so I think it's possible that they were awake, and the reason the timeframe is more or less known is that that's when activity stopped on all of their phones... but obviously I have no idea what happened.

I agree that it doesn't seem like a great idea to say that there's no threat to the public when nothing is really known.

JMO
bolding mine.
Ita.

Wonder if LE have a valid suspect in mind and a motive, but not enough evidence for an arrest ?
Still ... I'd think there was cause for concern to the public, esp. if the perp feels the walls closing in on them !

I have to go to Moscow tomorrow morning. I expect people to be in a state of shock.

I think premeditation, as I understand it, can happen in seconds. However, if the mayor is saying that it was possibly a crime of passion, that implies the perp was already present. But if the perp left and came back, even if they were fuming over a perceived wrong, I'd say that was an example of premeditation. Just my non expert opinion.

My Opinion Only: I think the “memorial vigil” is a public event to be held in Moscow and does not refer to any memorial services that the families may have. With so little information available, a public event might cause more anxiety for students and community members at the moment.

Yes.

A vigil for the slain students originally scheduled for Wednesday evening has been postponed until after Thanksgiving break, University of Idaho spokesman Kyle Pfannenstiel said in an email Tuesday.
Quote from:

I didn't necessarily think the party was at the house where the kids were killed. I thought it was a party 'in the neighborhood'. MOO.

Either way, I think an important element could be "University students" and "Party".

Though I was more of a library nerd, the party blocks at my University featured small houses on small lots, often in various states of disrepair. The houses were inhabited by large numbers of room mates, temporary guests etc.

Hopefully, this area is the same: Small, densely populated area where a good number of the residents are not say, "In bed and lights out by 10:00" types. Thus, possibly multiple people saw something in the hours preceeding the attacks.

Last edited:
What is leading people to believe the reportedly unconscious person referred to in the 911 call was found outside? I keep seeing people say this here, but everything I have seen specifically says all four were found inside, and no mention of anyone outside. I also am confused why people think this unconscious person may be a fifth person. I agree, it sounds weird that one person was reported unconscious yet police found 4 bodies on arrival. However, as other people have said, when someone is reported as unconscious, it's not as definitive/accurate as it may sound. The caller may have seen one deceased victim and told the operator that they weren't responsive so they were reported as unconscious. Since officers said it was a very complex scene, maybe the victim's bodies were in different areas and the caller only saw one. I would assume if the caller saw more than one victim, that would either have been included in the description of the call 911 responded to as unconscious or deceased. Just my speculation. I lean towards the simplest explanation being the most plausible (although not always the case).

Whatever happened is tragic and my heart hurts for the victim's family, friends, and the community. They have been on my mind since I heard of this because I am a junior in college and going through the same time of life that they were. College is supposed to be about making lifelong friends and memories. The stark contrast between having fun on a football game day with friends/roommates at your apartment in your college town and being murdered hours later is devastating and hard for me to wrap my head around.

Ethan Chapin’s mother, Stacey Chapin, told the Idaho Statesman on Tuesday morning that the four students were stabbed. She refuted speculation about the case, including a New York Times report that called it a “crime of passion.

“They were stabbed. We got the call,” Chapin said. “I don’t want people to make assumptions about our kids. It wasn’t drugs and it was definitely not some passion thing between these kids. Someone entered the house.”

Odd wording, ''a unique occurrence'',imo
rbbm.
''BOISE, Idaho -- Investigators are looking for a suspect in the deaths of four University of Idaho students whose bodies were found at an off-campus home during the weekend, a newspaper reported.

Authorities in the city of Moscow, Idaho, have released little information about the deaths, including the cause, but have said all four students are victims and that there is no active risk to the community.''

''The students likely died between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m., but they weren't discovered for hours, Bettge said.

“The police got there at noon,
nothing happened in the interim and nothing happened afterward, so it seemed to be a unique occurrence that was not apt to be repeated,” said Bettge. That timeline helped authorities determine that there was not an active risk, he said.

Dahlinger declined to confirm or deny Bettge’s description of the timeline.''
well that really doesnt convince me its an isolated incident. it can totally happen again.

Not if the person who killed them only wanted to kill them and nobody else. They were targeted, this was not random. So, no reason to kill anyone else. In theory.
So the implication from the police is the quadruple lethal stabbings were targeted, based on passion, implying not a stranger serial murderer. Nevertheless, I’d be nervous that the murderer could murder again if he thought someone was on to him, imho. With this much physical violence I assume it is a he….The article I read was Fox news digital. it stated the house was noisy that evening….I don’t know whether that means arguing or partying?

Not if the person who killed them only wanted to kill them and nobody else. They were targeted, this was not random. So, no reason to kill anyone else. In theory.
Even if the killings were targeted, that doesn't mean there isn't a danger to the public. This is a VERY violent person. Suppose the killer suspects someone saw him or is suspicious of him. That person (whether they know anything or not) is then in imminent danger. You have to assume a killer will go to extreme lengths to escape justice. I'd say there is very much a danger to the community unless LE knows the person is dead or in custody.

Just based on what I see from other cases on here, it sounds like police will generally say there's no danger to the wider public unless they have specific reason to believe that someone is currently on a killing spree. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Ethan Chapin’s mother, Sarah Chapin, told the news outlet that a friend discovered the bodies inside the home on King Road and called 911.

I thought the 911 caller only saw one victim and the police discovered the rest on arrival, but the plurality in "bodies" is making me question that. I guess even if they only saw one, they technically discovered all of them if that makes any sense? It may be irrelevant but what do you guys think?
IMO the wording in this article is a reporter who wasn't there summarizing a secondhand report of what someone saw and edited by an editor who may not find it important to distinguish between "discovered one of what turned out to be multiple bodies" and "discovered the bodies" even if the distinction was there in the rough draft. (Not to disparage any of the above people - just that only "a friend" knows exactly what they saw, and there are a few layers between them and the article.)

Maybe we'll find out the details someday, maybe not. I don't think it accomplishes much to spend more time reading into a plural than the time that was probably spent writing it. Anyway, it seems pretty reasonable to me to call 911 as soon as you see the first body so even if it was only one that was reported it doesn't necessarily mean anything about where the bodies were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member