ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a bit of a daft question but....

Have any members felt more spooked or been more cautious since they started following the case?
( My OH is away for work and I've noticed am being more security cautious despite being nowhere near Idaho. Normally we don't even lock our doors as we're in a very low crime area)

I've even taken a garden machete* and a kitchen knife..... to bed!! Have just practised my swing* - it needs work
Unfortunately, you would never be a match for a skilled killer like this, machete notwithstanding. Having said this, hysteria never serves anyone. Keep this all in perspective...lightening will kill you before this killer does.

could this potentially mean either M or K actually had a different cause of death from the others - for example blunt force trauma to the head? Then the knife work was saved for the possible "target" & remaining two -- with the target individual sustaining far more "attention" than others.
This NY times photo shows two barstools interlocked and wedged in the sliding door. I thought it looked like someone was trying to keep anyone from opening the door. I’ve seen them carefully examining other windows and doors…This recent interview is changing my ideas of how these murders were committed.

I think he was referencing the steps police have to take to give him information. Like, ‘stop wasting our time by going through your steps and just give us anything g you can pertaining to the investigation.
When I watched it live that was my impression as well. And he clearly said that it was M&K's injuries don't match. This, in my mind, doesn't indicate anything as far as targeting. One could have been attacked asleep while the other awoke and put up more defense and thus suffered more injury. JMHO

I hope that LE is close to making an arrest or at least announcing that they have a major break. I really want justice for these families. The agony of the parents in the video is just devastating.
Edited because my thoughts were incomplete & confusing

Other things that stand out to me - Kaylee's mom said they "asked specifically" about who was targeted. That coupled with "It wasn’t leaked to me. I earned that. I paid for that funeral. I paid for that. It’s my right. They ain’t taken that from me."

To me, that makes me think Maddie was more severely wounded. Surely they would have seen Kaylee's body and the wounds and could make inferences based on that. Since they have Maddie's ashes with Kaylee's, I think they recently saw Maddie's body and were able to see a noticeable difference

Just watched the interview.

After Steve mentioned paying for the funeral he goes into referencing how the police doesn't want to say anything and that he pretty much thinks he has the right to say what he wants to say and that he isn't leaking anything. Definitely seems to be frustrated with LE. I'd be willing to bet that LE is probably frustrated with him as well. I really feel for the parents.

I took his comments about the points of damage not matching as referring to M and K, in fact the host at the beginning seems to even try and clarify that to be the case.

I really couldn't make heads or tails of the steps comment.

I can’t decide if Steve is so passionately ticked off because his daughter didn’t need to die, shouldn’t have died, or is he passionately ticked off because she was the blunt of this and that hurts like hell and he needs the answers as to why?

''Retired FBI profiler Mary Ellen O'Toole said there's a 50% chance the killer could attend the Idaho student victims' funerals because of the brazenness of the attack''​

"Sometimes offenders show up," said Mary Ellen O'Toole, who once worked in the bureau's prestigious behavioral analysis unit.

"They may take a lot of pleasure in thinking that they got away with the crime, and so going to a service like this where they can walk around and people don't realize who they are, that can certainly feed into that kind of egotistical response," she said.''

"There’s an arrogance about this crime, there’s a high-risk nature," she said, noting that the offender entered a home occupied by six people "where there was every conceivable possibility he would have had his a-- kicked."
[in response to last quote] Unless the offender was familiar with the house, and the occupants and knew exactly who was there that night. This seems like a crime of passion but somewhat calculated (but maybe that is just because the offender had personal knowledge). The offender attacked at night while victims were sleeping tells me he/she was concerned about being overpowered. Using a knife with multiple wounds sounds like an extreme hatred for this person. It’s so personal to kill someone like that. It feels like someone familiar with victims snapped. Maybe the rage was mostly directed at 1 but then was forced to cover his/her tracks with the other killings.

I take it to mean the opposite - k and m were the targets. Only reason to go there, and he did comment that it would bother him for the other families. I have had a feeling the worst happened on the third floor because targeted there and obsession. I would not be surprised - sickened, yes, but surprised, no. Esp if the inside stuff you've heard is true, then that would point towards them being targeted, too.

I took what he was saying as perhaps the killer didn't know the layout of the house and thought the 'targets' (E and X, implied) were upstairs and went up there first. His tone of voice didn't indicate that he thought his daughter was a target to me. Seemed more angry and disgusted that the killer chose to go upstairs when 'he didn't have to'. The killer may not have seen or realized that there was another bedroom tucked away in the corner on the second level until coming back downstairs.

Again, first impressions.

My opinion.

This NY times photo shows two barstools interlocked and wedged in the sliding door. I thought it looked like someone was trying to keep anyone from opening the door. I’ve seen them carefully examining other windows and doors…This recent interview is changing my ideas of how these murders were committed.
It's been said that the stools were placed there by LE to secure the scene. They were not there in earlier photos.

I’m intrigued that they did this on the first floor, three weeks later. I can’t imagine they hadn’t already checked these rooms out, even if there was no outward sign of the crime spilling over to these rooms.
In my opinion, they got forensics that indicated something of interest in the 1st floor rooms, which sent them back for another look - this time with luminol. They likely wouldn't have tested the 1st floor rooms for blood before now, as the theory was no involvement there. Just my opinion. Doesn't mean the 1st floor survivors were involved, could be a houseguest they had overnight, etc. MOO. The fact they left the house with samples would indicate to me they got a hit on the luminol and took the splatters for further testing. Seems an ominous development, in my opinion.

Ok yeah, he's clearly referencing LE about how he earned his right/paid funeral/leaking stuff. I get it. They want answers.

His last sentence in that clip is so heartbreaking. :(
yep, and I think he knows that M&K were the targets because otherwise, there was no need for the killer to go up there, so people need to use their common sense and figure that out.
JMO

That's the way I read it. The cause of death was different for M in comparison to K.

He also said they didn't have to go up the stairs. Possibly indicating that K or M was the target. But I don't really know what I make of that. It's the difference in cause of death that has piqued my interest.
Not to be graphic, but could one have been stabbed to death and the other had their throat cut? Maybe that would be distinguishing enough for him to think they’re different?

Kaylees dad is grieving and so some of his answers don’t make sense sometimes. I encourage all to relisten to his interview. I really do think he was not referring to the steps of the house but to the steps LE needs to take when releasing info to him.

Agree. I would not say a peep to anyone.

If I were a survivor, I would be seriously petrified of a homicidal maniac coming to kill me if I talked or showed my face or even because I would be afraid they’d want to come back to find me to finish the job— I couldn’t imagine how terrifying it must be for them. — Plus I think LE has told them not to talk because they are witnesses and couldn’t talk about it even if they wanted to.

And what I imagine is really awful about that is that they likely can't speak with each other either. I feel so bad for those girls.

I take it to mean the opposite - k and m were the targets. Only reason to go there, and he did comment that it would bother him for the other families. I have had a feeling the worst happened on the third floor because targeted there and obsession. I would not be surprised - sickened, yes, but surprised, no. Esp if the inside stuff you've heard is true, then that would point towards them being targeted, too.
This is way I took it as well - that what need is there to go up there IF not to murder them.... I also think Dad is holding to his word/promise to keep this in front of as many eyes as possible until solved.
This family has likely never gone through anything like this and is only doing their best as they see it. Likely getting tired of hearing how things take time and blah blah blah .... and don't compromise the investigation yadda yadda yadda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VAres67