ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quickie from google: 20,000 to 30,000 black bears in Idaho. I can't speak to Idaho, but there is not a hunter in Alaska (imo) who goes to the woods without a huge sheath knife, sometimes successfully using it to fight off a grizzly or black bear. Definitely to quarter a huge game animal to pack or sled out. I don't think the connection between hunting and big knife can be overemphasized in this murder case. The skill and familiarity using that large weapon, developed over a lifetime.

Jmo, but that's all we've got about now, opinions.
If known facts lead towards someone that hunts and is likely familiar with using a knife it would make sense to look at them closer. However, looking at all hunters because they are likely to be familiar with using a knife wouldn't make sense. jmo

If both occupied bedrooms on the 2nd an 3rd floor were on the opposite side of the patio and balcony, could the perp see what was happening in the house prior to entering? If the students weren't sleeping by then they could have alerted others.

I’m wondering how many people would still think K was the so-called target if her family wasn’t giving daily interviews. In other words, I think people think she’s the target simply because she is the victim we hear about the most & know the most about.

IMO there wasn’t a single target and the only thing I can think of that makes K stand out as a possible target is she was only there for the weekend. But that’s not enough for me to label her the target

MOO

ebm: typo
For whatever reason, I've thought (and still do) the group was targeted. Time will tell. JMO

If known facts lead towards someone that hunts and is likely familiar with using a knife it would make sense to look at them closer. However, looking at all hunters because they are likely to be familiar with using a knife wouldn't make sense. jmo
Of course not, I agree. It's just part of profiling, imo.

IMO If he has hired a PI I give him credit
I would do the same thing myself.

What confuses me is why there is a need to share that information and air of all his grievances publically.
I know he wants to be helpful to the investigation and keep it in the public eye so I guess he must think this is the most effective way to do that ? Perhaps it is the way the NY Post writes the article that make it sound like a bit of negativity towards LE?
My heart truly breaks for this grieving father with all the best of intentions -

From the NY Post article
"...interview with The Post, saying he was also concerned that one suspicious character had been ruled out too quickly — seemingly allowing him to flee the country without taking a DNA test.
He lashed out at the lack of leads coming from cops, who backtracked on claims that the killer appeared to be targeting at least one of the four roommates and have yet to even suggest a profile of the likely slasher.
One of the murder squad officers is only 26, he complained, meaning he was only 19 when the sleepy city of Moscow last had a slaying, in 2015.
The cops are “just inexperienced — and I don’t want anyone making mistakes in my child’s case,” Steve Goncalves told The Post of murdered 21-year-old Kaylee.“We’re trying to give them the benefit of the doubt,” he said of police investigators...

My concern is that he and his family are not getting information on suspects from LE and instead are trying to conduct their own investigation via rumours on social media.

This is not good for the investigation and is really not good for his emotional well being and certainly not good for the investigation.

If I thought a PI would help, I would fully support him but LE will not, nor should they, hand over the crime scene or evidence and I'm concerned that a PI sniffing around may force an unsub to destroy evidence or flee which will have undesirable consequences for three other families.

In the US, fraternities (all male) and sororities (all female) are private clubs, always named by Greek letters, that are semi-affiliated with universities. They choose members (and members choose them) at the same time, in a coordinated series of events called "rush." People call fraternities and sororities "the Greek system." Most fraternities and sororities are part of their own respective national organization, with "chapters" at different college campuses.
Thank you Skigirl for explaining this for me, I thought it might be there was a high Greek population or something similar. The USA despite speaking the same language as the UK can be so different, we have no fraternities or sororties here.

I'm torn on this. I expect that's exactly what they are doing. But there are some people that just don't want to have their DNA taken.
I would be one of them.
And then additional resources would be wasted by investigating those people that simply have a thing about privacy rights.
While the killer just goes on his merry way.
A case recently profiled on Dateline (mother found murdered in her bathtub).....the 20 yr. old son who was initially suspected and endured an intense 13 hour interrogation admitted to having a party while his parents were out of town. The police called in EVERY person who attended the party and took DNA mouth swabs from every one of them. I absolutely hope the investigators in Idaho requested the DNA of each person interviewed. I believe one can refuse without being court ordered.....but the refusal would be another data point (of course LE asking why)

IMO If he has hired a PI I give him credit
I would do the same thing myself.

What confuses me is why there is a need to share that information and air of all his grievances publically.
I know he wants to be helpful to the investigation and keep it in the public eye so I guess he must think this is the most effective way to do that ? Perhaps it is the way the NY Post writes the article that make it sound like a bit of negativity towards LE?
My heart truly breaks for this grieving father with all the best of intentions -

From the NY Post article
"...interview with The Post, saying he was also concerned that one suspicious character had been ruled out too quickly — seemingly allowing him to flee the country without taking a DNA test.
He lashed out at the lack of leads coming from cops, who backtracked on claims that the killer appeared to be targeting at least one of the four roommates and have yet to even suggest a profile of the likely slasher.
One of the murder squad officers is only 26, he complained, meaning he was only 19 when the sleepy city of Moscow last had a slaying, in 2015.
The cops are “just inexperienced — and I don’t want anyone making mistakes in my child’s case,” Steve Goncalves told The Post of murdered 21-year-old Kaylee.“We’re trying to give them the benefit of the doubt,” he said of police investigators...

I’m curious if SG has info that may point to JS, hence his comment, or is he just taking in what he sees online? Thoughts?

For whatever reason, I've thought (and still do) the group was targeted. Time will tell. JMO
Can you elaborate? I'm guessing by "the group" you mean just the 4 victims, excluding the survivors? I would love to hear what you're thinking. :)

Thank you for the information. Where did you read or hear this? I have been looking for this since the family first announced they were caught by a neighbor's surveillance footage? This is important IMO. Lights going on and off, footage of the dog barking, going in and out. They also said they saw the girls on footage let Murphy out and then lock their door!

ETA: The camera would not seem to catch the dog going in and out or them locking the door if it was on the front of the neighbor's home. That piece of information is what has thrown me.
I hunted for another camera but someone might have better eyes then me and im seeing things. Do you think this could be one? Also could explain the ladder....

cam3.jpg

he kept hinting that they'd offered to help him out on the side so thanks for the confirmation.

"because he fears cops in the major case are too “inexperienced.....
Steve Goncalves raised his fears Sunday in an exclusive interview with The Post, saying he was also concerned one suspicious character had been ruled out too quickly — seemingly allowing him to flee the country without taking a DNA test.
He lashed out at the lack of leads coming from cops.....
“So they’re just inexperienced — and I don’t want anyone making mistakes in my child’s case,” Goncalves told The Post, also blasting the officers as “not exactly the most tech-savvy people.”
“One of the private detectives I talked to has 50 years in the game,” he said of his outside help

( he also points finger at a particular individual)

context:
80 -100 LEO on this case, made-up of MPD, ISP and FBI ( 80 was reported by Idaho reporter a week ago, up to a 100 mentioned by Banfield on her last show)

think we all appreciate why this can be problematic - from last time we discussed it on the threads

Wow, SG is really callng out the hoodie guy at the food truck, even saying he heard he's left the country. Is he an international student? <modsnip - sleuthing of this man is off limits as he has not been named a POI by LE>

He admitted that he also fears that a hoodie-wearing man spotted lingering near his daughter and her best friend, Madison Mogen, also 21, was ruled out too quickly for killing the pair and their two friends.

“Some people came to us and said that he’s out of the country. He didn’t take a DNA test,” he said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m wondering how many people would still think K was the so-called target if her family wasn’t giving daily interviews. In other words, I think people think she’s the target simply because she is the victim we hear about the most & know the most about.

IMO there wasn’t a single target and the only thing I can think of that makes K stand out as a possible target is she was only there for the weekend. But that’s not enough for me to label her the target

MOO

ebm: typo

I have always felt that if an individual was targeted it would be her but my opinion has always been based on her significant social media following.

I hunted for another camera but someone might have better eyes then me and im seeing things. Do you think this could be one? Also could explain the ladder....

View attachment 385164
Could be, but I know there are several security lights right around that house that look a lot like cameras.

Technically, you wouldn't need a lawyer or have to sit at the police station unless you have been arrested. I would also be reluctant to give the government my DNA. It is becoming more common.

Same here, prints are on file, dna is at genealogy site, if they need it that bad they can hunt in down themselves.

This coming from daughter of Cop.

Quickie from google: 20,000 to 30,000 black bears in Idaho. I can't speak to Idaho, but there is not a hunter in Alaska (imo) who goes to the woods without a huge sheath knife, sometimes successfully using it to fight off a grizzly or black bear. Definitely to quarter a huge game animal to pack or sled out. I don't think the connection between hunting and big knife can be overemphasized in this murder case. The skill and familiarity using that large weapon, developed over a lifetime.

Jmo, but that's all we've got about now, opinions.
I have been hunting since my teens. I have never carried a huge knife with me. They are not very practical. They have a "survivalist" use, but not so much in butchering an animal. So the idea that there is a connection between this crime and hunting, to me, is a real stretch.

I've been browsing this thread and watched a few YT videos about these terrible murders. I've heard/read it mentioned a few times now about Greek life, what does it refer to other than being Greek ? If you don't mind me asking ? TIA
Greek Life refers to being in a fraternity or sorority and has nothing to do with being Greek. Fraternities and sororities - Wikipedia

I believe one can refuse without being court ordered.....but the refusal would be another data point (of course LE asking why)
For the most part, LEOs are well aware of people's Rights (you learn about Miranda, etc during the academy or POST) and would be well aware that the answer to the "why" could be as simple as "because I don't feel like it" and that would be perfectly fine.

And, from a legal standpoint, it would be a defense lawyer's wet dream (IMHO) to have the cops make any statements that anyone is higher up on the suspect list based on their unwillingness to give their DNA without a court order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member