ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The news about the door being open is not new. This is what the Chief said in the very first presser.

"...we're not 100% sure if the door was unlocked. There was no damage to anything and the door was still open when we got there".

It was obviously early days, so they may not have yet spoken to the neighbour who saw the door open.
Well, to be fair, they don’t say “which” door, and have talked a lot about the slider, so now we know for sure it’s the front door. Even KG’s father said he didn’t know/think the killer went to the first floor, so this info suggests he (the killer) did and for whatever reason, bypassed two bedrooms.

A 2016 or 2017 at the very cheapest is about $40,000 for the lowest model, with high miles (~100,000), and only in average condition. The price, depending on the trim level, mileage, and condition can go over $60,000.
wasnt this her last year? Could be a graduation present also. I did see that the two girls were childhood friends. So it would make sense to show off a new present. If she was planning on buying the car she most likely took her friend and roommate to view the car before purchasing it.

Whoah 50?? That seems like LOTS. Does anyone know if this is the norm for a murder? I imagine with technology/devices/privacy may need many OR multiple people involved? But this is great news overall.

It will go much higher IMO. The bulk of the 50 is probably digital. I’m venturing that the average 20yr old has a phone, laptop, iPad, wearable technology (eg Apple Watch/Fit Bit), a few social media accounts, and cloud storage for starters.

They have four victims. Just getting their cell phone data released is four warrants. I don't think 50 is that high.
I don't either. Consider likely got warrants for--

The house (two residents were not victims).
4-5 vehicles (ETA: and any of the vehicles' online computers).
4 cellphones and 4 cellphone accounts.
4 laptops and related internet and email accounts.
Who knows how many other electronic devices (iPads, Kindles, other tablets).
SM accounts for all 4.
Cellphone tower activity for cellphones in specific nearby areas at specific times (with separate warrants to each cellphone provider).
Cellphone tower activity in other areas at specific times discerned to be of likely import through preliminary investigation (with separate warrant to each cellphone provider).

They add up very fast.

Last edited:
They have four victims. Just getting their cell phone data released is four warrants. I don't think 50 is that high.
I'm curious how else that breaks down. I would imagine an additional 4 for the vehicles? Emails? Does LE need search warrants to go through the personal items in the bedrooms (like stuff in drawers/closets) or is that just considered part of the crime scene?

independent study to finish the senior project in her degree. Just a guess, but routine. If she was in IT as has been mentioned, probably could work from parents home.
"Kaylee Goncalves, a senior from Rathdrum majoring in general studies in the College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences."

And did buying the car put her in contact with someone completely off her radar that would have access to her home address, personal details.
Add to that - she posted her previous car (Subaru) for sale on Facebook marketplace and even included personal details about moving cross country. (Images are online but not shareable here per rules) And, even now, Xana’s Facebook marketplace profile has furniture for sale. Sadly there are so many ways they could have crossed paths with this evil.

Well, to be fair, they don’t say “which” door, and have talked a lot about the slider, so now we know for sure it’s the front door. Even KG’s father said he didn’t know/think the killer went to the first floor, so this info suggests he (the killer) did and for whatever reason, bypassed two bedrooms.
Are there other doors into the property?.

Also, we don't know for sure that they entered through the front door. The neighbour may not be remembering correctly, or there could be other reasons why the door was open.

ETA: Why would the perp. risk leaving the door open?.

that it's a older local, maybe a neighbor or a patron of Corner Club, or an isolated grad student, or a young unsuccessful alum or former student athlete who hasn't quite moved on from college life and is resentful/has rage.
MOO
I think this is very well said.

Maybe start with a list of fraternity members going back to their starting attendance at the University. Then, try to account for other males in the orbits of the victims. As you stated, these can be near orbits, or relatively distant. Such a list maybe long- but still finite.

Then maybe data crunch the list under the following criteria?

- Still in the area.
- Dropped out of school, or is a perpetual student taking a class or two each year.
- Social security number usage indicates low income position(s).
- Social media presence indicates few "distractions": not married, no steady girlfriend, no apparent self fulfillment interests, no children etc. and / or social media indicates animosity towards others and towards life in general.

Last edited:
So far, they did not say a lot, didn't they? If one say nothing, they do not lie and is anyone's guess if they hold something close to their vest, at all.
I'm a retired police officer/investigator and I can tell you there is nothing that states we have tell the truth about something while trying to solve an investigation, information is withheld if it is for the good of the case and solving it (such as there is no suspect- that type of lie). Im not talking about the dirty lies you might be thinking of such as planting evidence or some other BS. What I'm saying is police are not obligated to tell the public everything in the midst of an investigation and sometimes to catch a killer you have to use Psychological warfare

Are there other doors into the property?.

Also, we don't know for sure that they entered through the front door. The neighbour may not be remembering correctly, or there could be other reasons why the door was open.

ETA: Why would the perp. risk leaving the door open?.
There is the sliding door on the back of the house. KG’s father has indicated it is likely the killer entered either through the slider or the back window and that LE told him that.

I could easily see the person who had just killed four people running like zombies were after him to get out of the area as fast as possible and leaving the door open!

In my opinion they need to look at those individuals who watched the grub truck's live stream and if possible in the weeks before. There are tips coming in to the truck workers themselves as well as watchers sending in food payments for friends or cute girls they see on the stream.

What if over their years there they had been comped food so many times and at some point in that small town crossed path with one of those stream watchers and wasn't interested in engaging with them in any way? If it were KG and she appears on the stream, might that have inspired the attack later?

When I first saw video I was confused in thinking they were trying to swipe food, but now I think they were so close to serving area to stay on stream hoping meal might be free if more visible to those watching who were watching?

Even if no-one in stream is the perp, I can't help but wonder if it was why someone with ill intent might have seen her back in Moscow after thinking her gone? Even those tipping at the very end just to the truck workers.

All above my own theory, I can only imagine the amount of evidence these LE are working through.

Kathy
Somebody mentioned earlier that there were 174 viewers on the live stream. It seems like tracking down each one of those folks who was logged in when the girls were in view would be important.

They had already ordered and were waiting for their food at the other end of the truck.

Here is what I think so far, IMO:

Killer did not know the students.
No sexual component to the murders. This is all about power, control and possibly viewed as a type of professionalism by the killer.
He observed who slept where by watching the house from the back. It IS like a fishbowl. That is how he knew when the residents went to bed, then waited a little while until he was sure they were asleep.
I don't think he bothered to case the house from the front that night, otherwise he would know more than 4 were in there by counting the vehicles. He may have counted on a previous night before K had her new car.
He was unaware of the bedrooms on the 1st floor which indicates he may not be from the Pacific Northwest where multi-level homes are common and may have bedrooms on the 1st floor.
I don't think he was familiar with college rental housing or that this type of house would have more than 4 bedrooms.
This crime was done to terrorize and possibly teach someone (not the students he killed) a lesson.
LE will not find a direct link to the killer in the history of any of the residents of the house.
He will not be in CODIS or NCIC.
He has committed similar crimes before and will re-offend.
IMO he left the area immediately after committing the crime and will not be back.
Well said and my sentiments exactly. My husband thinks the opposite though, that the victims knew the killer(s) in some capacity. I am also thinking E and X could have trekked to WA to Jack in the Box and caught the attention of the perpetrator(s), who followed the back to ID as their chosen victims. Much like the case with Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom in Knoxville TN in 2007. They were also college students, wrong place wrong time and I will never, ever forget them and what they went through.

I know, but I don’t believe those contain information as to whether or not the front door was found open by the police unless, of course, the police choose to not tell the public that.
I don't know that we've got any clarification as to whether by 'open' they mean 'swinging wide open' or 'unlocked.' I've used it for both meanings.

this link has the 2015 evoque as low as 16k... i have no idea what model she had though or the year. i was just hearing 6-7 year old model.

A 2016 or 2017 at the very cheapest is about $40,000 for the lowest model, with high miles (~100,000), and only in average condition. The price, depending on the trim level, mileage, and condition can go over $60,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ifgchester