ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this. And I think it was a neighbor. Motivation: "shut down" the noisy party house, Opportunity: Lived nearby and could surveil them easily.
I've leaned toward that possibility from the start. It wouldn't be necessarily some disgruntled neighbor unable to get a good night's sleep (if that were the case, we'd see many, many more such incidents) but a deeply disaffected person for whom young college kids with great future prospects living it up and having good times is enough to cause a homicidal rage to build within him. It's a mass-murder type who might shoot up a campus building if he didn't have a strong will to live and remain at large. I wouldn't stake my life or my reputation on it, but as of now it's still at the top of my list.

Even using a basic tool as traffic-cams.com, it’s clear the driver is well aware of city/state camera placement, considering his potential path. Hopefully authorities are able to triangulate a read, considering how murky it can get in multiple areas.

Attachments

• 8593AF54-CF92-4622-B26A-479F48537150.jpeg
    8593AF54-CF92-4622-B26A-479F48537150.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 24
If the car was seen heading toward the house shortly before the estimated time of the murders and seen again heading toward the house right around the end of the estimated time of the murders, perhaps someone in the car was dropped off to commit the crime and then later picked up afterward?
If you are right,

Moo… then the killer had to text the person driving that they were done and ready to be picked up. For the case this would be wonderful. Phone would have had to ping off of a tower and it would provide irrefutable evidence they were at the house.

If they texted the driver… their cell phones Could also possibly have been picked up/pinged by the girls home wifi devices/internet hub. (For example when you look for WiFi and all your neighbors pop up and or when at airport and everyone standing near you with a hot spots name pops up or when you put your Bluetooth headphones on and other people near you devices pop up to connect to yours)… our devices store this information.

Our digital footprints are everywhere.

All of which had to be at the top of the list of tech/digital evidence the police went through and requested in the first few days.

A great deal of which the digital forensics teams could acquire very quickly but without going about it the right way, which is to get official search warrants for those towers and devices… they would not be able to officially use in court.

Which to me… MOO… means LE has a POI and has had a POI for a while… some of these digital pieces of evidence require official search warrants to obtain to be able to be used in a trial for conviction. These can take several days or weeks to acquire. Depending on what they are requesting.

The evidence itself can be discovered quickly, point LE in the right direction and allow them to begin building case, collect more evidence in the meantime… in some cases for certain crimes etc, you can do some things without the warrant.. but its still a touchy legal loophole so in a case at this magnitude… I’d imagine… before releasing any info on confirming what digital / tech evidence they have…. They will more than likely want to have the paperwork to back it up in court so that it cannot be thrown out.

I’m hopeful the killer left some sort of digital footprint behind… whether from text to getaway driver (me personally I believe whoever did this acted alone) or by their own device they may have had with them. (Which I’m doubtful they had with them that night… considering this crime scene looks as though it was planned and targeted).

I do think the person who did this had been there before though. On a night where they did have their cellphone.. and that it will be linked to the house/generally area.

Hypothetical-if someone stealthily entered a room, tapped a sleeping individual and held a knife to them and told them to be quiet, would that fall under the “likely asleep when attacked”? How was the killer able to go on to each room’s second victim without awakening them?
IMO LE would know by now if tape was used at some point. Didn't they say that the victims weren't restrained?

:thumbsup:

also that bag can be from any day before not exclusively that evening.
Correct, LE can easily find that out if she paid with anything other than cash. Unlikely she used cash, MOO most college age kids don't carry cash, even though they should.

Overused term. People throw the word ‘stalker” around very easily to describe a pest, annoying member of the opposite gender, a guy who wants a date etc. If KG didn’t file a police report, it wasn’t serious enough is my thought.
I don't really have an opinion one way or another about the stalker theory (though I do think it's quite plausible). Just wanted to toss out that there are many people (mostly women) who never report this type of behavior -- for a myriad of reasons. In my opinion, any behavior that felt/feels 'stalkerish' is serious.

If you are right,

Moo… then the killer had to text the person driving that they were done and ready to be picked up. For the case this would be wonderful. Phone would have had to ping off of a tower and it would provide irrefutable evidence they were at the house.

If they texted the driver… their cell phones Could also possibly have been picked up/pinged by the girls home wifi devices/internet hub. (For example when you look for WiFi and all your neighbors pop up and or when at airport and everyone standing near you with a hot spots name pops up or when you put your Bluetooth headphones on and other people near you devices pop up to connect to yours)… our devices store this information.

Our digital footprints are everywhere.

All of which had to be at the top of the list of tech/digital evidence the police went through and requested in the first few days.

A great deal of which the digital forensics teams could acquire very quickly but without going about it the right way, which is to get official search warrants for those towers and devices… they would not be able to officially use in court.

Which to me… MOO… means LE has a POI and has had a POI for a while… some of these digital pieces of evidence require official search warrants to obtain to be able to be used in a trial for conviction. These can take several days or weeks to acquire. Depending on what they are requesting.

The evidence itself can be discovered quickly, point LE in the right direction and allow them to begin building case, collect more evidence in the meantime… in some cases for certain crimes etc, you can do some things without the warrant.. but its still a touchy legal loophole so in a case at this magnitude… I’d imagine… before releasing any info on confirming what digital / tech evidence they have…. They will more than likely want to have the paperwork to back it up in court so that it cannot be thrown out.

I’m hopeful the killer left some sort of digital footprint behind… whether from text to getaway driver (me personally I believe whoever did this acted alone) or by their own device they may have had with them. (Which I’m doubtful they had with them that night… considering this crime scene looks as though it was planned and targeted).

I do think the person who did this had been there before though. On a night where they did have their cellphone.. and that it will be linked to the house/generally area.
If there were two accomplices and this was planned well in advance, they could have used burner phones.

In all honesty we know very little about this case. Anything that LE has released is very vague. We have little more than there were 4 victims and they were killed with a knife. We know the whereabouts of Kaylee and Maddie prior to getting home, but know very little about Xana and Eathan's activities before getting home. We have been told that LE believes the attack was targeted, but nothing about who or what was targeted. We have been told there is a white car of interest. We have been told they were killed in their beds, but then told not all of them were found in there beds. We have been told that they were asleep, but then told that one or more had defensive wounds. So in all reality we really don't know much more than we knew after the first week. So there is very little we actually know, other than speculation, rumor, or info released by a family member. But information actually coming from LE is very little. I'm not saying that LE is required to release information, becasue they are not and I understand the need to protect the investigation. But after almost a month in, it just seems odd to me, we don't know more. MOO

I don't really have an opinion one way or another about the stalker theory (though I do think it's quite plausible). Just wanted to toss out that there are many people (mostly women) who never report this type of behavior -- for a myriad of reasons. In my opinion, any behavior that felt/feels 'stalkerish' is serious.
And its discounted to us over and over by family, friends, and the police. Of course we "joke" about it. We're told it's silly, we're being "ridiculous". Until we're not.

JMO I think they may have been half joking about it. We are talking about 20, 21 year old girls here.
I tend to agree. That particular age group naturally feels invincible. IMO, that doesn't mean the mention of a stalker should be tossed aside. Actually, because that age group blows off so much/feels invincible, the mention of a stalker could have meant it was bad enough to bother her. Only time will tell.

The vape guy says Kaylee had a lot of problems with stalkers and guys following her.

Is that common for young women?

I know she is particularly attractive and based on Instagram wears quite revealing clothes.
I don't mean that in a "victim blaming" way.
I think women should wear what they want and men should treat them with respect regardless.

My female friends get male attention in bars and out at night, but I wouldn't call it stalking
I casually dated a few different guys when I was that age and in college. Guys would often hit on me but none of them ever followed me around or did anything I would consider stalking. (Granted, this was the early 2000s and MySpace was about the only social media we had at the time.) I’ve had many attractive friends over the years and they never mentioned being stalked or followed.

I know that many girls are stalked and followed, but I wouldn’t call it common. Catcalling, whistling, and hitting on girls… yeah. That’s common and easy to ignore. Following and stalking someone is something else altogether, IMO.

I've leaned toward that possibility from the start. It wouldn't be necessarily some disgruntled neighbor unable to get a good night's sleep (if that were the case, we'd see many, many more such incidents) but a deeply disaffected person for whom young college kids with great future prospects living it up and having good times is enough to cause a homicidal rage to build within him. It's a mass-murder type who might shoot up a campus building if he didn't have a strong will to live and remain at large. I wouldn't stake my life or my reputation on it, but as of now it's still at the top of my list.
OTOH, why would someone choose to live in an area (not just one house) known for partying? According to some witness reports it was also known for drugs.

These victims were "likely asleep when they were attacked" according to the coroner. Not the kind of work that an impulsive, hastily-made decision from an ego-bruised dude from earlier that night would carry out (and so meticulously/efficiently at that). Indeed, this had to be calculated, quiet, and quick.

Far more likely a well-planned out attack from a sadistic, depraved mind that built up his fantasy over a period of months/years, couldn't resist the urge any longer, and executed his frenzy. Probably stalked them anonymously on SM via various channels and perhaps even kept up with their posted locations and/or used his own locators.

My opinion.
I agree that it probably was, but I’m not sure it has to have been that well planned out/calculated. It could look like a more sophisticated planned out crime than it was because the killer got lucky that the house wasn’t more heavily populated, that those in the house were asleep, we can’t know that the killer got the scene he expected. And I’m not sure speeding right up to a location near the house in a white car (if I’ve understood what we know about the CCTV footage correctly) is how you’d do it if you’d spent a lot of time planning? They probably did and it’s a stolen car and/or a car they can afford to destroy, but I don’t think we know enough either way to have much certainty.

Guess what? Yep, it's time to move on over to Thread #32. :) Click below to join us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne