ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Less than a week would be a very short time to solve a crime of this magnitude IMO from following cases here for many years. I have no doubt LE (all the agencies combined) are working feverishly to try to solve this case.

I agree with you on this, a week isn't very long. I'm extremely glad the FBI was called, given their experience with these type of murders they will leave no stone unturned. I certainly hope that any and all camera footage in the areas where the victims were has been collected and screened.

Do we know that the surviving roommates stayed home that night? I haven't seen this reported in MSM. Do you have a link?
I do but it's from the Moscow police Facebook page.

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting.
Two other roommates were at the residence that night.

Not sure if that link is allowed. Maybe a veteran knows?

"This is a gruesome and heartbreaking tragedy," Uber communications manager Navideh Forghani told Fox News Digital when asked whether Uber provided a ride to Mogen and Goncalvez. "It looks like Moscow police update the release to say a ‘private party.’ We have no record of the victims ordering a trip."

"trusted UBER" is an interesting reference. Sometimes when people take an UBER, they get the driver's info so they can contact them directly in the future, thereby cutting out the UBER fees. Maybe this driver was someone who had a job at UBER but college kids also just contacted him directly for rides and paid him through Venmo......would be interesting if we could find the girls' Venmo history. Sometimes people leave it set to public and anyone can look it up.
Yes! Great thought. I have a friend who has a "driver" that she has used for several years that she met when he was her Uber driver. He now drives for a lot people just taking them bar hopping. She calls him directly when she is ready to leave and pays him via Venmo at the end of the night. He even takes her for "drunk food" on the way home and waits in the restaurant parking lot until she is done. ha!

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home; however, it has been determined that he was only visiting.

Here's a link to the social media rules: Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I read the quote as LE saying that the two surviving roommates slept at the residence that night, or were at the residence during the night when the crime occurred. I don't think it necessarily means that they stayed home that night. JMO.

Yes it's quite possible, but I'm thinking maybe the killer entered the house through the sliding glass door in the back of the house. This would explain why everyone in the 2nd and 3rd floors were murdered, perhaps he didn't know about the stairs going down to the 1st floor. Or didn't see them being in a hurry to leave the scene. This is if the killer is a peripheral stalker type.. However, (thinking out loud) since the keycode was common knowledge to many of their friends/social circle, anything is possible. He could've tried their locked doors and worked his way upstairs. The house has quite a different layout because the 1st floor had been a garage before it was remodeled. I have a strong feeling that this person was known by the girls or at least acquainted with them. There was an intense amount of rage and jealousy involved here. Using a knife is extremely personal. I'm wondering when the party began to break up and what the situation was with the lights. Some on, others not or all off/all on? Or was the party still going on when everyone arrived at 1:45?
Something I haven't seen anyone suggest yet, is the possibility that the killer didn't enter just before the murder, but perhaps entered much earlier, (maybe not even through the sliding doors) and hid in Kaylee's or MM's closet (or under the bed, or whatever) for a while and waited for his victim(s) to come home and go to bed before attacking.

It's been 40 years since I was in college, but I remember back then, in any similar situation, with 6 students living in one house, there would be a constant stream of visitors in and out...especially on a weekend...it might be hard to keep track of all of them.

I read the quote as LE saying that the two surviving roommates slept at the residence that night, or were at the residence during the night when the crime occurred. I don't think it necessarily means that they stayed home that night. JMO.
Could be, yes, but the reason I took it to mean that they stayed in that night is the surrounding context. It is the line immediately after they explain where the victims had spent their last hours prior to coming home. imo.

Something I haven't seen anyone suggest yet, is the possibility that the killer didn't enter just before the murder, but perhaps entered much earlier, (maybe not even through the sliding doors) and hid in Kaylee's or MM's closet (or under the bed, or whatever) for a while and waited for his victim(s) to come home and go to bed before attacking.

It's been 40 years since I was in college, but I remember back then, in any similar situation, with 6 students living in one house, there would be a constant stream of visitors in and out...especially on a weekend...it might be hard to keep track of all of them.
Good point, it's certainly possible---that was BTK's MO most of the time.

Last edited:
That’s not what I’m talking about. i am talking about this statement.
Snipped from the article:

"2 a.m. to 5 a.m.
This is when Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt said the homicides occurred. Moscow Mayor Art Bettge previously told the Statesman that police told him they believed the deaths were 3-4 a.m."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member