ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone from the US explain gun laws/access to guns in the state of Idaho. IMO the fact the perp(s) used a knife instead of a gun, in a country where guns are widely accessible, is interesting. A gun with a silencer (even an improvised one) would be less gruesome, quicker, and easier to commit four murders.

It potentially suggests the perp(s) have a fascination with violence and gore and possibly that they were younger than the legal age to own a gun, so instead opted for a large knife, which I assume is much easier to get your hands on. Either way I think this looks like an act of opportunity IMO, but likely someone who is or was familiar with the area as a student long ago, possibly regularly looks through dorm windows, a peeping tom of sorts, broken into homes before and had escalating behaviour.

Note: The reason I say perp(s) is because there may have been more than one involved, with one taking each floor and then leaving together, as others have pointed out four victims in such a short space of time is a lot and as there was no known sexual motive, which would typically be committed alone with the victim. There is also the incel angle, which has a loose sexual motive of wanting to kill pretty girls and possibly men who are associated with them.

Has it been determined that the weapon used was not sourced from within the house? Interesting that there were specific brand of knife purchases were investigated early on, what could indicate a specific knife? Bringing a knife to a house is a different dynamic from one used from within.

Since police said it was the bloodiest crime scene they’d ever seen, how does the killer just walk out of the house without leaving any evidence? I’d presume there’d be some bloody footprints, blood droplets, etc. but police are making it sound like they have nothing. You’d have quite a bit of blood on your clothing after stabbing 4 individuals multiple times, and would have been forced to climb a flight of stairs at least once since victims were on different floors, plenty of opportunities to leave behind evidence. not to mention does this blood covered individual just walk out the front door and walk home blood soaked?

Is the FBI involved in this case?
BAU

From MoscowDPD facebook page

The Moscow Police Department is utilizing assistance from the Idaho State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office.
Moscow Police Department:
• 4 Detectives
• 24 Patrol Officers
• 5 Support Staff
Federal Bureau of In Investigators:
• 22 investigators in Moscow
• 20 assigned agents located out of Treasure Valley, ID, Salt Lake City, Utah, and West Virginia
• 2 Behavior Analysis Unit
Idaho State Police:
• 20 investigators
• 15 troopers
• Public Information Officer
• ISP Forensics Services and mobile crime scene team
• 15 uniformed troopers to assist with community patrols

Since police said it was the bloodiest crime scene they’d ever seen, how does the killer just walk out of the house without leaving any evidence? I’d presume there’d be some bloody footprints, blood droplets, etc. but police are making it sound like they have nothing. You’d have quite a bit of blood on your clothing after stabbing 4 individuals multiple times, and would have been forced to climb a flight of stairs at least once since victims were on different floors, plenty of opportunities to leave behind evidence. not to mention does this blood covered individual just walk out the front door and walk home blood soaked?
Is there snow on the ground there right now? You would definitely be able to see blood trails.

I wonder if J gave them the ride home?

Were they repeatedly calling him to continue a conversation from the car, or just make sure he’d gotten home safely too. (maybe he was a bit intoxicated as well)

Or maybe they knew he had a date that night and, being slightly inebriated, they were prank-calling him and he wouldn't pick up. In any event, I’m sure LE has spoken with him and have the explanation. I just don’t believe it was a panic call.

Entrance?
My front door has a code to enter. Rental properties often have such door locks as you can reset them, cheaper than changing locks between renters.
That would imply it was someone they knew- if they entered the front door using the code.

[clipped]
I've seen other students have said that the apartment was somewhat of a "party place" - crash pad, etc. They said they wouldn't be surprised if someone had gotten word of the code. Didn't seem to be a closely held secret.

Not saying it wasn't someone known - especially in such a small town. Just saying the door code might not be the smoking gun.

Yes, agreed. How did the perp just walk out of there covered in blood and not caught on any nearby surveillance cameras. I think the key to all of this is the girls' phone records. I think the Police must know a lot more than they are releasing, and maybe even why their first statement said there was no threat to the general public. This case brings me back to the McKenzie Lueck case. The key to her killer was all in the cell phone contact b/t the two in the wee hours of the night when she went missing, but the Police didn't immediately identify AA. If I remember correctly they gave him a few days to walk free and clean up evidence. They were tracking him, watching him try to offer up a mattress on a Freecycle website, sell some women's boots and a smart Watch online and drive out to the final resting place of the remains. I also think it was tight lipped b/c their connection was a Sugar Daddy/Sugar Baby website. I have to believe the Police have a suspect in mind in this case. Maybe they just can't locate him right now? And maybe it's taking time for the Police to subpoena the texts from the cell phone carrier. A seasoned detective can probably get this information pretty quickly, but in a small, quiet town like this, I imagine the Police and Detectives just aren't going to be as knowledgable about obtaining the technological evidence.

Last edited:
Where does this J live? Why phone if you were scared unless he were nearby ?

Interesting point about the footprints… one supposes felons think about fingerprints but I had not considered footprints . I’d remove my shoes at the door and put on a stolen pair maybe then carry my stained pair I guess. Find the shoes ….

The diagram of the house, created by a WSer in the last thread based on the crude drawing, was very helpful.If the killer entered through the sliding glass doors, and Xana’s bedroom was near the stairs that went to floor 3, he could have headed straight up the stairs to M&K, or stopped first at the bedroom right next to the stairs. The way to the lower level would have required him to cross into the living room and go down a separate set of stairs. The layout and the entry point could have kept him in essentially half of the house. I’d like to know if any evidence was found in the living room, or if it he ever entered it.

Yes, agreed. How did the perp just walk out of there covered in blood and not caught on any nearby surveillance cameras?
I think due to entering and leaving through the sliding doors in the kitchen and outdoor patio area.....there is a little wooded area at the back, and the house is on a small hill.
But there are other suburban streets with houses beneath. I'm hoping a few of those had cameras. He had to leave the neighbourhood somehow!

Photo from house sellers page below. You can see the outdoor patio deck by the woody bit overlooking the suburban street below at the back.

The road at the back leads to more suburban roads with houses, it's a bit of a maze actually to find the correct road that leads to the main road out, some are dead ends.
The other way would be if the killer headed north towards the university buildings.....and some hoping there would definitely be cameras there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221119-131140~2.png
    Screenshot_20221119-131140~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20221119-132627~2.png
    Screenshot_20221119-132627~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I saw this video yesterday during an interview on the Idaho murders which is really worth a watch. Apparently, this woman is a threat assessment psychologist who offers some information on the type killer LE is looking for. Threat assessment psychologist speaks on Moscow murders - KXLY
I'm a criminal profiling junkie from way back. In order to weed out suspects, one must study the behavior at the crime scene in order to narrow down the suspect list. In this case, you have a perpetrator with a premeditated plan who brought along his Rambo-style knife to a crime scene. Could this mean he has a military background or experience as a police or security officer? I bet one thing is certain...he is a gun and knife enthusiast with an obsession for tactical maneuvers and thinks he is the smartest person in the room wherever he goes. Just some thoughts.

Here's what we know -- and don't know -- about the killings of 4 University of Idaho students as a suspect has yet to be identified | CNN
<snipped & BBM>
The four students – Ethan Chapin, 20; Kaylee Goncalves, 21; Xana Kernodle, 20; and Madison Mogen, 21 – were found Sunday stabbed to death on the second and third floors of the home in Moscow, Idaho, according to authorities.

Police revealed the four victims were “likely asleep” before the attack began during the early morning hours Sunday and each was stabbed multiple times. The attacks were not reported to authorities until around noon that day, police have said.

Moscow police also pointed out Friday that the victims were not “tied and gagged” during the attack. The victims’ autopsies did not find signs of sexual assault, Mabbutt said.

1668863498676.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members