ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It could still be an outside person.
How would that even work? I'm seriously trying to put together how an outside person would make a 911 call from one of the surviving roommate's phones 8 hours after the murders happened when the two surviving roommates were in locked bedrooms. There wasn't anyone else in the house that night.

Wow, now that's an angle I hadn't thought of. Are you suggesting maybe a relative of Martinez may have targeted them for revenge?

But wouldn't you expect the target to be in Spokane and a member of ATO?
No, no, not a relative. Just opportunistic timing for someone who perhaps holds a grudge against the privilege of these students (in terms of those on the 'outside looking in'). It would be the talk of the town as to why there were more people in Moscow. But I also wonder about the timing of Kaylee's return too. Perhaps it all crashed in together. Perhaps it's nothing. #nostoneunturned :)

I think 99% of purpose is because they have bungled everything so far.
I agree. That being said, the last murder in Moscow, ID was in 2015. They at least called in the FBI, right away.

I was sad to read about the victims, the girls were exceptionally attractive. And have been described as "vivacious go-getters".

Ethan, looks like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is part of a set of triplets. That must be devastating for his siblings.

It took a very fearless killer to enter a home with six adults, one a large strong male, and a dog!
Murphy the dog was probably use to all the ppl coming and going from visiting all the girls in the house. I wouldn't be surprised if he hid somewhere in K's room or elsewhere. I am getting the feeling that they had a visitor that was allowed in the house that night when they arrived back and they were hanging out until something happened or someone asked to spend the night on the couch and then made their move after ppl went to their bedrooms and were asleep. JMO

So the police state the roommates are key to solving these murders. That's just interesting. I think that statement was made after they interviewed them both. That's something they wouldn't say if the roommates said they heard or saw nothing. Either one or both are suspects or one or both indeed heard or saw something in the early morning hours but it wasn't something that prompted them to call 911 at that point in time.

You wouldn't say they were the key to solving this crime if they said they didn't see or hear anything and you were 100% certain that they were innocent.

Maybe because the caller was trying to appear innocent and unknowing? Assume that person is guilty of this crime. They call and play 'dumb'. Hope this makes sense. I'm having a hard time articulating what I mean.
That's true, but the call was made from within the residence from "a roommate's phone" and the police have said the 2 surviving roommates are not suspects..was there someone else in the house? how terrifying..

Is anyone good with maps?

Detectives are seeking all outside surveillance video taken from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. on Sunday November 13, 2022, from businesses and residences in the following areas.

o West Taylor Ave (north boundary)
o West Palouse River Dr (south boundary)
o Highway 95 south to the 2700 block of Highway 95 S (east boundary)
o Arboretum & Botanical Garden (west boundary)

I made an educated guess based on the blood coming out of the second floor down the side of the first floor (what IMO was a converted garage with soundproofing)
Oh gotcha. I thought the blood was actually some kind of dripping from a pipe but I am of no authority on that obviously. I simply put them in the bedroom that I thought made the most sense in terms of an "efficient" route for the killer but who really know for sure at this point?

The one thing that I still find intriguing is if the murders happened between 3-4 AM and one of the surviving roommates made the call, why did they report it as an "unconscious person"? The crime scene was described as a bloody mess so whoever they saw unconscious would've presumably had blood all over or near them.
“Unconscious” could have been the wording dispatch put out to first responders. Several posts have talked about how dispatchers might use that lingo. Until a transcript or recording of the actual 911 call is released we don’t know what wording the person who called actually used. IMO it will be irrelevant to the case and is not signifying anything.

Creepy the call came from a roommate’s cell phone from within the house…

Was it confirmed by LE that they weren’t home when LE responded to the 911 call? Maybe they just left after making the call bc they couldn’t be there (which is totally understandable)?
Why is it creepy?
I presume one of the roommates woke up, and started to go upstairs, saw a victim (and blood), and rushed away to call 911.
How would this be creepy?

The wording is very weirdly put when talking about who made the call and whose phone was used. “The roommates” could mean even including the victims. It doesn’t say “call was made on surviving roommates cellphone” it says “The call was made from inside the residence on one of the roommates' cell phone.”

How would that even work? I'm seriously trying to put together how an outside person would make a 911 call from one of the surviving roommate's phones 8 hours after the murders happened when the two surviving roommates were in locked bedrooms. There wasn't anyone else in the house that night.
Maybe the surviving girls not aware of a problem called this person to come over.I believe a way in is on the bottom floor so they came in and all went upstairs together and saw one of the victims.Maybe the girls were all to pieces and gave their cell phone to this person to call 911.

<RSBM>

There wasn't anyone else in the house that night.

Do we know this for sure? It is something that I have been wondering. The articles all say which residents and murdered boyfriend were in the house at the time, but I haven't yet seen the police say that there was no-one else there (very possible I missed it with these threads moving so fast).

The wording is very weirdly put when talking about who made the call and whose phone was used. “The roommates” could mean even including the victims. It doesn’t say “call was made on surviving roommates cellphone” it says “The call was made from inside the residence on one of the roommates' cell phone.”
The previous paragraph talks about the surviving roommates, and coupled with the deceased being referred to as "victims," it must be the surviving roommates it's referring to.

Maybe the surviving girls not aware of a problem called this person to come over.I believe a way in is on the bottom floor so they came in and all went upstairs together and saw one of the victims.Maybe the girls were all to pieces and gave their cell phone to this person to call 911.
Totally could make sense - thank you!

I still wonder though how someone could see any of the victims and say it was an "unconscious person" when there was blood everywhere. Maybe we'll find that was a misquote of some sort but it's very strange how you can mistake a stabbing murder victim to someone who is just unconscious.

I think there is more to the story. The 911 call was reporting an unconscious person. From other articles I read, looks like the call was placed from outside the house which makes me believe something was found outside the house by the door. JMO

Moscow Homicide Update
November 19, 2022 6:15 p.m.

MOSCOW, Idaho – The Moscow Police Department is providing the following information to update the public on the known facts surrounding the four murders that occurred on November 13th in Moscow, Idaho.

Updated Information:
• At this time, detectives have investigated the private party driver who took Kaylee and Madison home on November 13th and do not believe he is involved in this crime.

• Detectives believe that on November 12th, the two surviving roommates had been out in the Moscow community, separately, but returned home by 1 a.m. The two did not wake up until later on November 13th.

• Initially, the 911 call made at 11:58 a.m. on November 13th requested aid for an unconscious person. The call was made from inside the residence on one of the roommates’ cell phone. Moscow Police Department arrived shortly thereafter and found all four victims.

• Detectives confirm the victims were located on the second and third floors of the residence.

• Detectives are aware of multiple phone calls from victims Madison and Kaylee to a male. This information is part of the ongoing investigation.

• Detectives are seeking all outside surveillance video taken from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. on Sunday November 13, 2022, from businesses and residences within the geographical area below. Detectives are requesting all available video – whether there appears to be motion and content or not. Tips, pictures, and videos can be submitted to tipline@ci.moscow.id.us or call the Tip Line at 208-883-7180 for assistance. (See map)

o West Taylor Ave (north boundary)
o West Palouse River Dr (south boundary)
o Highway 95 south to the 2700 block of Highway 95 S (east boundary)
o Arboretum & Botanical Garden (west boundary)

• There will be a News Conference to update the public on the investigation.
Sunday, November 20, 2022
3:00 p.m.
University of Idaho
Alumni Lounge of the ICCU Arena
900 Stadium Drive, Moscow, Idaho

MEDIA NOTE: Please direct all media inquiries to the PIO at moscowpdpio@ci.moscow.id.us or 208-883-7181.

###
Original Information:
On the evening of November 12th, Kaylee Goncalves and Madison Mogen were at a local bar called The Corner Club at 202 N. Main Street, in downtown Moscow, between 10 p.m. and 1:30 a.m. on November 13th. At approximately 1:40 a.m., Kaylee and Madison were seen on video at a local food vendor called the “Grub Truck” at 318 S. Main Street and used a private party for a ride home from downtown to arrive at their 1122 King Road residence at 1:45 a.m.

Investigators have determined that Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle were seen at the Sigma Chi house on the University of Idaho Campus at 735 Nez Perce Drive. At approximately 1:45 a.m., Ethan and Xana are believed to have returned to the residence at 1122 King Road. It was previously reported that Ethan resided at the home, however, it has been determined that he was only visiting.

Two other roommates were at the residence that night.

On November 13th, at 11:58 a.m., officers responded to the residence after a 911 call reported an unconscious individual. Upon arrival, officers discovered Kaylee, Madison, Xana, and Ethan deceased inside the residence.

Autopsies were conducted on November 17th. The Latah County Coroner confirmed the identity of the four murdered individuals and their cause and manner of death as homicide by stabbing. The coroner stated that the four victims were likely asleep, some had defensive wounds, and each was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault.

At this time in the investigation, detectives do not believe the two surviving roommates or the male in the Grub Truck surveillance video are involved in this crime. Additionally, online reports of the victims being tied and gagged are not accurate. The identity of the 911 caller has not been released.

As part of the investigation, detectives seized the contents of three dumpsters on King Road to locate possible evidence. Additionally, detectives have contacted local businesses to determine if a fixed-blade knife had been recently purchased.

At the time of this release, detectives have received nearly 500 tips which are being processed, investigated, and cleared. Thirty-eight interviews have been conducted with individuals who may have information about the murders. Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call 208-883-7180 or tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.

The Moscow Police Department is utilizing assistance from the Idaho State Police, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office.

Moscow Police Department:
• 4 Detectives
• 24 Patrol Officers
• 5 Support Staff
Federal Bureau of In Investigators:
• 22 investigators in Moscow
• 20 assigned agents located out of Treasure Valley, ID, Salt Lake City, Utah, and West Virginia
• 2 Behavior Analysis Unit
Idaho State Police:
• 20 investigators
• 15 troopers
• Public Information Officer
• ISP Forensics Services and mobile crime scene team
• 15 uniformed troopers to assist with community patrols

Currently, there are no suspects in custody, and the weapon has not been found.

Anyone who observed suspicious behavior, has video surveillance, or can provide relevant information about these murders, is asked to call the Tip Line at 208-883-7180 or email tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.

The Moscow Police Department thanks our community for their continued support, understanding of the limited information we can share, and patience during this difficult time.

###

#MoscowPDInvesitgation
Hi Folks, them looking for footage from 95 south to Moscow leads me to think they are investigating the possibility of someone having driven there from Coeur D'Alene or surrounding then back again, It's a long road to be asking for all footage from. IMO

They didn't use the term "surviving roommate." They just said "a roommates' phone." It could have possibly been the phone of one of the deceased roommates. You also don't have to unlock a phone with a password or whatever to call 911. Why would someone do that? I have no idea, but until LE is totally clear on who it was that called and on whose phone - we're just speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties