ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be a commonly used tactic for Law Enforcement to coach a victim's family members to say things in the media that they thought might provoke feelings of guilt and sorrow in a potential suspect, thereby prompting a confession?
I believe police will use techniques to draw the perp out. They may know who it is and waiting on crucial DNA. So saying things possibly to trip up a potential suspect.

I couldn't agree more and yet I haven't heard a single person here comment on the fact that in the interview with the parents of K, the mom when urging the public to report anything odd they may have seen that night she mentions "someone buying candles" Um, candles? No one is wondering why she mentioned that?
Nothing is trivial in a murder case of this magnitude!

I think there is a lot that LE is not releasing to the public. I find it intreresting that they are so sure it was a KA-BAR knife. I would imaging they could have gone with the a more general term like large serated hunting knife. That is why I think there is a lot not being released. I can under stan why they don't release more information. It is vital to the investigation to hold some information back so they can use it later in the investigation. I am just course about being so sure of the type of knife.

Wow - New Update to Press Conference - Surviving roommates called friends to residence and none are suspects.

Moscow Homicide Update November 20, 2022
MOSCOW, Idaho – The Moscow Police Department is providing the following information to update the public on the known facts surrounding the four murders that occurred on November 13th in Moscow, Idaho.
Updated Information:
  •  Detectives are releasing that on the morning of November 13th, the surviving roommates summoned friends to the residence because they believed one of the second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up. At 11:58 a.m., a 911 call requested aid for an unconscious person. The call originated from inside the residence on one of the surviving roommates’ cell phone. Multiple people talked with the 911 dispatcher before a Moscow Police officer arrived at the location. Officers entered the residence and found the four victims on the second and third floors.
  •  At this time in the investigation, detectives do not believe any individual at the residence, when 911 was called, is involved in this crime.
  •  Rumors and speculation continue circulating about the ongoing investigation. MPD cautions the public not to rely on rumors and remains committed to keeping the public informed. We urge reliance on official channels for accurate information.
  •  TIPS: Detectives are looking for context to the events and people involved in these murders. Anyone who observed notable behavior, has video surveillance, or can provide relevant information is asked to call the Tip Line at 208-883-7180 or email tipline@ci.moscow.id.us.
Moscow, ID | Official Website
Good Morning Fellow Sleuthers
Monday November 21, 2022 (thread 7 lol)
No arrests
^ this update is the newest information we have :)
Have a good day!

Edited — the media thread was updated with the floor plans and the coordinates of where LE are looking. Page 7

I'm not sure if Kaylee had already emptied her bedroom. If so, it may not have had furniture. I think she and M would have shared a room anyway, since they were so close and had some catching up to do before Kaylee was going to be traveling in Europe and moving to TX. I had wondered if M moved into K's old room after she left, since it was bigger and had the balcony.
My 20something kids (and nieces and nephews) would never share a bed with friends. I would have back in my day but this generation, nope. They do air mattress or sofa before jumping in a bed with a friend. Even a big queen or king bed. Don't know why. Maybe more likely to have had their own rooms all their lives than us old folks. Back in the 60s and 70s kids often shared a room even if not needed. Plus houses were not Mcmansions then. So I'd wager Maddie and Kaylee were not in the same room. But maybe the one moved over to the balcony bedroom and the perp didn't know. I think one of those 2 girls was the target and the others were unintended victims based on error or possibly being able to ID.

My 20something kids (and nieces and nephews) would never share a bed with friends. I would have back in my day but this generation, nope. They do air mattress or sofa before jumping in a bed with a friend. Even a big queen or king bed. Don't know why. Maybe more likely to have had their own rooms all their lives than us old folks. Back in the 60s and 70s kids often shared a room even if not needed. Plus houses were not Mcmansions then. So I'd wager Maddie and Kaylee were not in the same room. But maybe the one moved over to the balcony bedroom and the perp didn't know. I think one of those 2 girls was the target and the others were unintended victims based on error or possibly being able to ID.
Maybe, but they also grew up together. They knew eachother well. My 21 year old sister still sleeps with me when she visits even though there is a guest room. I sleep with my friend every time I spend the night at her house. It’s not uncommon at all IMO.

I agree that one of them was the target.

So one of the roommates found a victim that she thought was unconscious, called friends to the scene and then they called 911. I'm so glad LE stated that none of them are suspects.

I can only imagine how traumatic that would have been for them.
With the new information released that multiple people spoke with the 911 operator, I am envisioning an absolutely chaotic scene where the surviving roommates are in a state of shock and panic because I'm sure they're calling out for the others. Since their friends would've likely entered on the second floor, it stands to reason to me that they found EC or XN first and they were identified as the unconscious person.

Obviously through the course of the call they're probably calling out or searching for the others and getting more panicked when they cannot locate them. I really hope they didn't physically see all four bodies because my God the trauma that's going to cause on top of what they already dealt with. Those two highly likely will need years and years of therapy and counseling. Cannot even imagine the horror they felt in those moments.

Therr was the case of the kidnapped and murdered mother in Memphis, they had DNA back within 24 hours and an arrest within 3 days.
I was researching this, a bit, last night. Most of the uncited/unreviewed material suggested 24-72 hours for testing, the collection of samples could take weeks to months.

Here's a link to a legislative research report from 2010. It's dated but it is cited and likely reviewed. Turnaround times vary by state, and I'm not clear on whether sampling and testing times are considered.

Maybe they were all killed and then locked in their bedrooms. Which would indicate the killer knew there were other roommates. And maybe the roommates tried knocking and knocking on the doors to wake them and couldn't so they went onto that balcony and saw through window that the person wasn't moving as they knocked. Hence the 'unconscious' call to 911.

Also, I watched an ID show on a mom who found her daughter murdered in her bed. It was bloody yet the mom ran outside to call 911 and also said her daughter was unconscious. I think it was shock and refusal to believe what she saw. She registered enough to run outside and stay outside in fear (of bad guy being in house) yet her call to 911 more indicated her daughter was just passed out sick. And it also was a bloody scene but she never mentioned that to 911. So I never made too much of the whole surviving roommates bit. Never thought they were involved. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't agree more and yet I haven't heard a single person here comment on the fact that in the interview with the parents of K, the mom when urging the public to report anything odd they may have seen that night she mentions "someone buying candles" Um, candles? No one is wondering why she mentioned that?
I think you may have misheard her, she said "someone buying band-aids"

LE said he said "unconscious" meaning, when the 911 operator asks "is the person conscious" and the caller says "no"...then, 911 dispatches "unconscious person reported at such and such address" and the police respond to unconscious person. Don't read too much into this.
Bingo. When I found my son deceased the 911 operator insisted on sending paramedics which on top of everything else I found incredibly baffling. It is procedure. They are either “conscious“or “unconscious“ not dead until officially pronounced, in my personal experience.

Last edited:
I think there is a lot that LE is not releasing to the public. I find it intreresting that they are so sure it was a KA-BAR knife. I would imaging they could have gone with the a more general term like large serated hunting knife. That is why I think there is a lot not being released. I can under stan why they don't release more information. It is vital to the investigation to hold some information back so they can use it later in the investigation. I am just course about being so sure of the type of knife.
I found the fact that they mentioned a Ka-Bar early was interesting. People who are even only casually familiar with knives only think of one knife, the ubiquitous US GI knife during the latter half of the 20th century, when they hear Ka-Bar. Designed solely for the killing of human beings, the knife has distinct characteristics and dimensions which very likely would leave a forensic trace, particularly the pommel guard. This and the relative ease with which this killer dispatched these kids lead me to believe he/she was a) trained to use a fighting knife in this manner, or b) this is not the first time that he/she has done this. I don't think anyone in the victims' regular circle of coed friends and associates committed this crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet81bet