ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of people on this thread are frustrated and I share that feeling. There's enough ugliness in this crime without anymore.

I came away disappointed by the presser yesterday. I'm really hoping that the Wednesday update will be more fruitful. It's interesting that the Wed presser was set days ago. MOO
I don’t know if y’all have a clue about how much heck this community - not to mention local/regional journos/reporters - have raised about the lack of official press conferences from Day 1. MOO, but my hope they are finally getting the message.

Why and how are some ruled out so quickly?
Why FBI profiling is especially critical in this investigation and why it is more likely to be lengthy.
Previously posted on earlier thread today and may answer some questions …. Great interview with Retired FBI Special Agent Steve Moore. No rehashing.
Airtight alibis perhaps for the driver and the creepy guy at the food truck

I’m really wondering if the dog was there at all. We haven’t gotten confirmation either way, right? I struggle to believe a dog, any dog, wouldn’t bark like crazy hearing somebody in the house—at least at first. Even if the dog knew that person. I know every dog is different, but I’ve had quite a few and every single one would easily spook at sounds in the night. It seems instinctual for them to alert first, then find out who or what it is.
There is no proof but the sister of the victim said she took the dog out upon arriving home. I asked the question of how did she know that and the answer was she probably saw it on the same neighbors ring camera tape where she saw the driver they used drop them off. I was satisfied with that reasoning.

I’m quite impressed with MPD and their commitment to keeping the public updated as much as possible and addressing all social media rumours so far as they circulate, they try to nip them in the bud to keep the focus on the facts we do know. It is impressive! JMO
Agreed! Rumors are much more of a factor now that they spread so easily on social media. Seems like LE has some people who are really tuned in that way. MOO.

I am interested in exploring the Murphy and Ethan angles. For those of you interested as well, can you spin out your scenarios from this perspective?

Currently, I am thinking about these murders from a thrill kill/stranger scenario. If I were an opportunistic killer who had scoped out this house in the past, I wouldn’t necessarily expect a dog and athletic young man to be in the house.

Here’s how the scenario might go:

I’ve been moving around the campus for some time, living out of my vehicle or a camp site. A house occupied by a number of young women has caught my attention.

I return to the house by foot or bike around 3:30am. I am prepared with a knife and gun and a back up. I am not noticed, as in this college town on a busy fall weekend, lots of young people are about. All seems quiet. I slip inside through the unlocked sliders. Still quiet.

I walk into Xana’s bedroom, where it is mostly dark, but for some electronics. There are two figures in the bed, neither moving. One appears to be a male. I approach, and with one swift movement, dispatch the male. This awakens the female, who attempts to fight me. She starts yelling, and I subdue her, but not without a fight.

A dog begins barking in another room in the house. I stand and wait, carefully listening. The two on the bed are quiet, but the dog continues to bark. I leave the room, triggering the knob lock, just to provide one more barrier between my victims and the hall.

Standing outside the room, I listen again to the dog. It is upstairs, and there is no other noise.

I walk upstairs towards the barking, carefully opening a door. The dog barks furiously. A swift kick to the dog quiets him, and I attack the two young women on the bed with my knife. They are subdued quickly, and the dog is quiet, cowering in a corner.

All is quiet again. I notice I have some injuries from the attacks, and my adrenaline is wearing off. I still have to leave the scene and so I take off, locking the bedroom door behind me.

I leave the way I came in and head back to my residence, wherever that may be.

Maybe the girls came back with perp and the couple got home at the same time around 1:45am. The couple saw the killer or could identify him. The girls go upstairs with the perp to hangout. The couple goes to bed. The perp starts acting strange, so one of the girls calls ex boyfriend ( from 2 different phones) in panic or to get help. Girls get killed. Perp has to kill couple because he can be identified, so kills them in sleep. Other roommates never saw the perp so he does not bother with them. Drug tox will be interesting and insightful. That’s my guess.
Great guess…never thought of that!!! Thanks for sharing!

I don’t know if y’all have a clue about how much heck this community - not to mention local/regional journos/reporters - have raised about the lack of official press conferences from Day 1. MOO, but my hope they are finally getting the message.
Thank you for speaking out! We don't have a clue, at least those of us (which is most of us) on the outside. This is beyond terrifying and devastating. I hope you and yours are staying safe and sane!

Did we? I don't remember reading that.

Anyway, my question is why is the bottom floor soundproofed?
Who soundproofed it? The owner? The people living on that floor?

This has to be speculation based on people thinking there may have originally been a garage in the basement.

I will say once again that IMO I do not believe this to be the case, as the house used to have a detached garage.

If anyone has confirmed evidence of it being soundproofed can you please provide? Otherwise can we please be very clear on what is speculation and what is actual evidence? I feel like I’m starting to see a lot of misinformation stated as fact in this thread.

Attachments

• 4AF2BD04-46BA-4F5C-8A85-3BC50F082935.jpeg
    4AF2BD04-46BA-4F5C-8A85-3BC50F082935.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 26
I’m sure I can’t be the first to bring this up, but what do we all think about the search for the killer based on his method of travel? What if everyone’s looking for cars in their ring camera footage, but they should be looking for a bicycle.

If the Sept 12th incident is related, that man was riding a mountain bike. My boyfriend (former CID agent) explained that bikes are known as the best mode of travel to get away with a crime. They’re difficult to describe and have no license plates. They can also move fast in areas inaccessible to vehicles. Most people don’t pay attention to bicyclists.

Could that also be why they are also investigating the area behind the house?
Good thinking. Bikes are quiet, too.

I see some still speculating that Ethan (or Xana) woke up while Kaylee and/or Maddie were being killed and went out to investigate, leading to their murders. LE has stated that all victims were likely asleep when attacked.

“The four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed multiple times in their off-campus home were "likely asleep," before they were attacked, Moscow, Idaho, police said in a Friday evening update.

Yes, yes, yes! People keep speculating E got up and went to investigate, etc, etc. What we have been told is that all 4 were attacked in bed, likely while sleeping. No one went anywhere before they were attacked, and several didn't go anywhere at all. If anyone moved, it was likely as they were bleeding to death and trying to get away. I also believe the attacks happening in the beds would have kept the killer relatively clean as most of the blood would have a place to collect.

The above is why I do not support the theory that Ethan was lying dead in the middle of the second floor or even in the bedroom doorway. You cannot correlate 'passed out' with stabbed to death. Even if he was face down he would still be bleeding. And LE stated all victims were in bed. I believe the bedroom door was locked and someone was worried that he was unconsciousness due to not responding to calls or knocks. Moo
I agree. Based on statements from LE, I believe that all four victims were in their beds. I have seen nothing to support that anyone was on the floor or outside any of the bedrooms. Some have speculated that "defensive wounds" means the victims were mobile. I believe it means they did what they could do defend themselves while on the bed.

The Goncalvez' are saying the police told them the killer was sloppy: Univ. of Idaho killer was ‘sloppy,’ left ‘mess’ of evidence, victim’s family says

Here investigators are looking in the parking lot of the adjacent apartment buildings which seems to be an excellent vantage point for seeing what was going on in the college students house: Idaho police expanding crime scene at site of college students' murders

This video from KREM 2 News shows door the perp may have entered the house through - there are red tape strips - perhaps indicating finger or palm prints or other evidence:

Greetings - longtime lurker and websleuther here. I lived in this town for close to a decade and worked at this university.

My first thoughts when I saw the location of the house was that 1) it is on a dead-end street, which seems odd and risky for someone who might try to escape by car and 2) it's very close to where faculty/staff live. These facts alone seem to suggest that the killer knew the people here and/or had a place to which they could easily escape. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellBear77