ID - DeOrr Kunz, Jr., 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that time is spent perusing FB, dontcha know.

BTDT It's all speculation. I've found the most intriguing posts from IF locals on the "mommy boards". :thinking:

So, here is something I found last night, when I was reading old articles. It's probably nothing, but at this point it's bugging me. In this article from July 24, a retired Fish and Game investigator references cameras on Highway 93.

There are some cameras on the highway on both directions of 93,” Latham said. “I’m sure [they] have been looked … and I’m sure they’re looking more or less under every rock, so to speak, for leads on this case.”

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/retired-investigator-on-deorr-kunz-this-will-come-to-a-resolution/

The route to Leadore is Highway 28. Although I don't recall for sure(what! I don't recall and I've read every single post!) :) if it has ever been mentioned in any articles or interviews...I'm reasonably sure I've never seen Highway 28 actually referenced. It's the shortest, fastest and only direct way to get to Leadore from Idaho Falls. If you went up 93, you'd have to go all the way up to Salmon, and down again to Leadore. It would take you more than twice as long that way.
So..did the the Fish and Game guy mispeak? Maybe. But I looked him up and he lives in Salmon, so he should know the roads. Or did reporter NE mess up? We know he just moved to Idaho last spring so he is not as familiar with the highways? That seems likely---although the comment is in direct quotes.
Or is it at all possible that the campers did not go directly from IF to Leadore? Could they at some point been on Highway 93? SB did say that they left IF "early afternoon or early evening."

SB: You know I know Bonneville County detectives have followed up on that particular aspect of the investigation, but to the best of my knowledge, from the time that they left Idaho Falls on July 9th which was in the early afternoon or early evening, uh, you know we have not had a confirmation-- an absolute 100% positive, that someone saw Deorr,

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?286501-ID-Deorr-Kunz-Jr-2-yr-old-Media-Timelines-and-Maps-**NO-DISCUSSION-quot/page4

So...did they not take the direct route to Leadore? I am 99% positive I have never seen Highway 28 referenced.
Or maybe someone just misspoke.

Or....they did go directly to Leadore up 28 first...and then sometime after they got there were on highway 93 before they went to the Leadore store on Friday morning? It would account for the extra gas if they did indeed gas up twice. Also, if they did actually go with the baby to the campground...that could account for possible sighting by IR? Just thinking out loud.

So, here is something I found last night, when I was reading old articles. It's probably nothing, but at this point it's bugging me. In this article from July 24, a retired Fish and Game investigator references cameras on Highway 93.

There are some cameras on the highway on both directions of 93,” Latham said. “I’m sure [they] have been looked … and I’m sure they’re looking more or less under every rock, so to speak, for leads on this case.”

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/retired-investigator-on-deorr-kunz-this-will-come-to-a-resolution/

The route to Leadore is Highway 28. Although I don't recall for sure(what! I don't recall and I've read every single post!) :) if it has ever been mentioned in any articles or interviews...I'm reasonably sure I've never seen Highway 28 actually referenced. It's the shortest, fastest and only direct way to get to Leadore from Idaho Falls. If you went up 93, you'd have to go all the way up to Salmon, and down again to Leadore. It would take you more than twice as long that way.
So..did the the Fish and Game guy mispeak? Maybe. But I looked him up and he lives in Salmon, so he should know the roads. Or did reporter NE mess up? We know he just moved to Idaho last spring so he is not as familiar with the highways? That seems likely---although the comment is in direct quotes.
Or is it at all possible that the campers did not go directly from IF to Leadore? Could they at some point been on Highway 93? SB did say that they left IF "early afternoon or early evening."

SB: You know I know Bonneville County detectives have followed up on that particular aspect of the investigation, but to the best of my knowledge, from the time that they left Idaho Falls on July 9th which was in the early afternoon or early evening, uh, you know we have not had a confirmation-- an absolute 100% positive, that someone saw Deorr,

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?286501-ID-Deorr-Kunz-Jr-2-yr-old-Media-Timelines-and-Maps-**NO-DISCUSSION-quot/page4

So...did they not take the direct route to Leadore? I am 99% positive I have never seen Highway 28 referenced.

I would guess he misspoke. There are only two (at least only two somewhat traveled roads north from Idaho Falls, Hwy 26/93 and Hwy 28. Leadore is on Hwy 28. No one local would take 93 to Salmon then back down to Leadore. This again is one of those unique Idaho things. Lots of space, few finished roads.

I would guess he misspoke. There are only two (at least only two somewhat traveled roads north from Idaho Falls, Hwy 26/93 and Hwy 28. Leadore is on Hwy 28. No one local would take 93 to Salmon then back down to Leadore. This again is one of those unique Idaho things. Lots of space, few finished roads.

Off topic genuine question as I'm not from the US: is Idaho known for being unique / different to other states? I have seen mention of it's "uniqueness" a few times on this thread and others. What makes it different?

I think this was an out of context quote by NE. The fish & game guy was most likely saying he knew there were cameras on 93, so he would assume that there were cameras on 28 and that they had been checked. I do not know this to be fact, but that is what makes the most sense to me. FWIW, from Twin Falls up through Sun Valley and over Galena summit is absolutely beautiful if anyone is ever close enough to drive it. Early fall is my favorite, but anytime it is open and passable it is really something to see!

Wonder how warm, how clear, how defrosted things have to be before another search begins?

I think those pics should be sent to LE and the blanket with the dots and character pointed out. Then LE could ask the parents if they still had that blanket. If they do not, then oh man!!!!

Wonder how warm, how clear, how defrosted things have to be before another search begins?

I lived in Eastern Idaho for a very long time. I would bet it will be sometime in May before they could really get in for a good search. Especially if they have to dig. While the snow may melt a bit sooner the ground will remain frozen for little longer. Then it will be the mud unfortunately.

I think those pics should be sent to LE and the blanket with the dots and character pointed out. Then LE could ask the parents if they still had that blanket. If they do not, then oh man!!!!

I'm somewhat confused about the recent "blanket" discussion.....(I think I'm tired)...Could somebody recap it for me??

Off topic genuine question as I'm not from the US: is Idaho known for being unique / different to other states? I have seen mention of it's "uniqueness" a few times on this thread and others. What makes it different?

Large areas of wilderness, road-less wilderness. Huge areas of land with tiny, less than a 1000 population, towns. For instance, some of my grandchildren attend a one room school with less than 10 children in the school, K-8. The majority of the population in Idaho lives in a single area, the Treasure Valley. More than 50% of the population lives there. Many of the residents of Idaho are the self sufficient kind, especially those outside the city areas. I live in a rural area now and we still have a mostly volunteer first responders for emergencies outside the city.

While so many see JM & VDK, and honestly their families & friends, as extremely odd or different, and while I'll concede they are, for Idaho, they're relatively normal. By that I mean their speech, looks, slang, mannerisms, are the norm in that part of Idaho. There are two extremes in Eastern Idaho, highly educated and little education. It's not surprising for people to not graduate from high school if they don't plan to attend college.

True, there are things that don't hurt in reviewing. This is a total exaggeration, but when someone posts, 26 threads in, something like- "wait, the kid is missing?" it is a little :doh:.
Although, with all of the different stories, versions, and screwball people contributing to the dustcloud, I can almost see how that is an afterthought. Trying to catch up here from the beginning would be impossible, I mean there are all those minnows and mountain lions and PI's and planned abduction/secret adoptions, everyone named Deorr. Good grief.
*Screwball is intended to insult the unique people of the facebook groups. Not anyone here.

We'll, I've been lurking for months and I'm finally coming out....
This case has captured my heart, I'm not quite sure why, and I honestly had never even heard of websleuths before I started obsessing about sweet little Deorr, since I first heard on July 11. I completely agree that it would be impossible to jump right in and have any grasp of what's going on, or gone on, so reading through EVERYTHING is a definite must! I was talking to my husband about it the other night (going over my theories with him, trying to come up with anything that makes sense) and he looked at me like I was crazy..bringing up all these names and circumstances...he said it was like these are people I know (I feel that way sometimes, since i can't seem to get him out of my mind). Anyhow.....that's why I'm commenting on your post. Your comment "everyone named Deorr, good grief"... haha...that's what my husband said!

Hi all, thanks for all your sleuthing and great input. It's so informative to hear things from different perspectives.

We'll, I've been lurking for months and I'm finally coming out....
This case has captured my heart, I'm not quite sure why, and I honestly had never even heard of websleuths before I started obsessing about sweet little Deorr, since I first heard on July 11. I completely agree that it would be impossible to jump right in and have any grasp of what's going on, or gone on, so reading through EVERYTHING is a definite must! I was talking to my husband about it the other night (going over my theories with him, trying to come up with anything that makes sense) and he looked at me like I was crazy..bringing up all these names and circumstances...he said it was like these are people I know (I feel that way sometimes, since i can't seem to get him out of my mind). Anyhow.....that's why I'm commenting on your post. Your comment "everyone named Deorr, good grief"... haha...that's what my husband said!

Hi all, thanks for all your sleuthing and great input. It's so informative to hear things from different perspectives.

Great first post! Welcome.... :cheers:

I think this was an out of context quote by NE. The fish & game guy was most likely saying he knew there were cameras on 93, so he would assume that there were cameras on 28 and that they had been checked. I do not know this to be fact, but that is what makes the most sense to me. FWIW, from Twin Falls up through Sun Valley and over Galena summit is absolutely beautiful if anyone is ever close enough to drive it. Early fall is my favorite, but anytime it is open and passable it is really something to see!

He probably did misspeak and actually meant Highway 28...I'm still thinking about it though. Did they go directly from IF to Leadore, and no where else except the campground and to town? I doubt it.
Yes, I had never been over Galena Summit until about 5 years ago. It is spectacular.

Large state geographically with small population. Massive areas of forest and desert, including a lot of uninhabited wilderness. Striking differences between North Idaho and Southern Idaho, both geographically (North Idaho more true Pacific Northwest, like WA; while Southern Idaho more high mountain desert) politically (North Idaho generally more "blue"; Southern Idaho more "red") roughly speaking. A lot of resentment on the part of North Idaho because they feel the laws and policies are focused on the more populous south. In fact, North Idaho threatens to secede at times. :) Oh, and don't ever tell someone from North Idaho that they are from Northern Idaho. :)
Idaho in general, IMO, is somewhat Libertarian, with a wide swath of conservatism, tinged with some "Bible Belt-ism," for lack of a better term, and all that is impacted by a deeply independent nature. One foot still in historical culture of ranching, logging, farming, and mining; and one foot in the contemporary world of higher education, tourisim, and technology. JMO

Or....they did go directly to Leadore up 28 first...and then sometime after they got there were on highway 93 before they went to the Leadore store on Friday morning? It would account for the extra gas if they did indeed gas up twice. Also, if they did actually go with the baby to the campground...that could account for possible sighting by IR? Just thinking out loud.

It didn't seem that strange to me that 93 was mentioned just because I it seems like there is a chance that a suspect could have driven a ways to hide the remains. There is nothing to say for sure that he he didn't head North to MT. (Although the fact that LE seems to be set on searching specific areas near the campsite kinda negates that!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't they want proof, if someone has proof? I don't see how it doesn't make sense.

Especially in the absence of little DeOrr's body, they want all the proof they can get. It only makes sense.

He was being sarcastic and flippant IMO. He is acting as though LE and FBI haven't determined that he has been lying about not knowing what happened and where his son is. But since they have, it comes across (to me) pretty laughable that he's telling people that if they know so much then the FBI wants to talk to them. Pretty sure that the people LE and FBI want to hear from are the ones who can lead them to DeOrr--specifically DK and JM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO this is one of the main problems with having Websleuths on a message board platform. There's no good way to collect data/facts and retain them for others to easily access. For the most part, facts get buried and obscured under heaps of posts.

As a web developer, I see many ways we could improve the way Websleuths operates but it would involve writing a new platform for WS from the ground up. I am preparing a thread on this to get feedback on some ideas I have.
But in the meantime, we do have the media thread. I could break that out into more topic specific threads. I could create an entire subforum such as I and others have done for so many other cases. Yet, still, the same problem persists. You can drag a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

Our media thread is like an excyclopedia of every fact known about this case (sans the FB rumors). I've posted the link probably one hundred times througout the threads, as have others. Claire and Jan, and so many others have diligently kept the media thread up to date. A member only has to click on the tag "deorr kunz" at the bottom of each page, or go to the opening post of each thread to find the media thread link.

How many do it? Judging from the daily parade of hackneyed, repetitive comments and questions, the answer obviously is very few. Why? Because it's too much work, something we old time sleuthers relish. There's nothing more satisfying than rolling up your sleeves and poring over every document and news article you can find to connect the dots.

Nowadays, it's so much easier and more titillating to jump into the FB, he said/she said, fray, and adopt the judgment du jour.

Farewell critical thinking! Grab the torches and pitchforks. I read it on FB, so it must be true.

:rant:

My question is why were our posts, pics from the highway and discussions about the photos deleted from earlier threads? I cannot figure out why they were removed but it seems strange. I haven't looked in a few weeks but the last time I did they had been removed from a early thread and a more recent one. I'm thinking threads 8 and 20 maybe...but not sure on that.

Nowadays, it's so much easier and more titillating to jump into the FB, he said/she said, fray, and adopt the judgment du jour.

Farewell critical thinking! Grab the torches and pitchforks. I read it on FB, so it must be true.

I doubt if anyone here has come to the conclusion that they have just because they "read it in FB, so it must be true".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deborah_Swell