Identified! ID - Dubois, WhtMale Skeletal UP13310, Buffalo Cave, Aug 1979 - 1870-1916 Joseph Henry Loveless

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, you have your name back, Joseph Henry. I wonder if this was someone's idea of justice for murdering Agnes.

ETA - I guess maybe the sheriff was right back in 1979 - that this was the body of a man killed 60 years prior. I wonder how he knew. Local legend? Or maybe based on the clothing and sheriff had studied the old Wanted Poster.

Awesome his family was so helpful and had family stories to share. At that time, "eye for an eye" was common justice. I would not be surprised if this was a retaliation murder. A lot of family trees can be updated now.

Whoo, I did agree to an extent with the opinions about it being a bit excessively self-congratulatory, but it makes perfect sense now. THIS is what they meant by "incredible life." This man's body was probably in this Dubois cave for 63 years. Glad they got on this case now.

Posted 10 minutes ago:
“DNA Doe Project Case Announcement: Clark County John Doe - Idaho (1979)

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed the identification made by the DNA Doe Project. The former ‘Clark County John Doe’ was Joseph Henry Loveless, Born 3 Dec 1870 in Payson, Utah Territory. He most likely died in 1916, making him about 46 years old at the time of his death. His remains were preserved in the Buffalo Cave for as long as 63 years, well surpassing the estimated post-mortem interval of six months to five years.

No photograph of Joseph Henry Loveless has been found. The image shown is a composite created from photographs of his immediate family members and the physical description on his wanted poster. Composite image by Anthony Lukas Redgrave.

Watch the press conference here: (link coming soon!)

If you have any further information on this case, please contact the Clark County Sheriff’s Office at:
Sheriff Bart May
Clark County Sheriff’s Office
224 W Main
Dubois, Idaho 83423
208-374-5403
bmay@co.clark.id.us

We are grateful for the hard work put forth by our volunteer genealogists, the Clark County Sheriff’s Office, Dr. Kate Reedy, Dr, Samantha Blatt, Dr. Amy Michael, Department of Anthropology Idaho State University, Othram Inc., Dr. Gregory Magoon of Aerodyne Reasearch, Justin Loe at Full Genomes Corporation, Inc, DNA Solutions, Inc., GEDmatch, Family Tree DNA, our generous donors including the Dyer Family Foundation, the DNA matches who uploaded and opted in to law enforcement matching, and the countless law enforcement officials, anthropologists, search teams, and students who have invested time and effort into closing this incredible case.

Links to More Information:
Clark County John Doe - DNA Doe Project Cases
DNA Doe previous post:
DNA Doe Project
DNA Doe Project

For more information on the DNA Doe Project and our other cases, visit our website: DNA Doe Project

If you would like to learn how you can help solve cold cases by uploading your raw DNA and opting in to law enforcement matching, please visit: Help.forensicgenealogytraining.org

#DNADoeProject #JohnDoeSolved
#ClarkCountyJohnDoe1979
#Idaho #GEDmatchOptIn #OptIn”
DNA Doe Project

It makes you appreciate just HOW well preserved the body was, going from a presumed PM of 6 months to 5 years to 60+ years...just WOW.
Whoo, I did agree to an extent with the opinions about it being a bit excessively self-congratulatory, but it makes perfect sense now. THIS is what they meant by "incredible life." This man's body was probably in this Dubois cave for 63 years. Glad they got on this case now.

Do you have any links to an article mentioning this? First I've heard of the sheriff making a comment of it, would love to see what all was said back then.
Well, you have your name back, Joseph Henry. I wonder if this was someone's idea of justice for murdering Agnes.

ETA - I guess maybe the sheriff was right back in 1979 - that this was the body of a man killed 60 years prior. I wonder how he knew. Local legend? Or maybe based on the clothing and sheriff had studied the old Wanted Poster.

Do you have any links to an article mentioning this? First I've heard of the sheriff making a comment of it, would love to see what all was said back then.
I got it from the beginning of their PowerPoint, and yes, it does say that Sheriff Holden thought it was from 60 yrs before discovery because of the clothing description. I did think when I saw those blue stripes on the white shirt that they looked old-timey, but I figured the sweater was more modern *

*Probably because of the drawing on their site :)
Clark County John Doe - DNA Doe Project Cases

Try around 4:56 if this link works. DNA Doe Project helps Clark County identify murder victim - Local News 8

Thank you! The video I watched was so scratchy I couldn't even attempt to see the power point in it.
I got it from the beginning of their PowerPoint, and yes, it does say that Sheriff Holden thought it was from 60 yrs before discovery because of the clothing description. I did think when I saw those blue stripes on the white shirt that they looked old-timey, but I figured the sweater was more modern.

Try around 4:56 if this link works. DNA Doe Project helps Clark County identify murder victim - Local News 8

I could only make out bits and pieces from the press conference. So he was arrested for killing his wife and broke out of jail? Why did the wanted poster have a different name for him?
It is suspected he was killed in retaliation for the murder of his wife?
TIA!

I could only make out bits and pieces from the press conference. So he was arrested for killing his wife and broke out of jail? Why did the wanted poster have a different name for him?
It is suspected he was killed in retaliation for the murder of his wife?
TIA!
Yeah, you pretty much have it! He apparently went by different names (an outlaw thing, I guess :) )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back