Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, yup, and yup
Im very curious about the board, the bucket, the duct tape, the garbage bags, and if any dna was recovered linking any of them to the graves

Yes. Great possible sources of good solid evidence. Especially the duct tape. If they were not wearing gloves when tearing off pieces of duct tape then their prints will be all over the sticky side. You almost dont even need to dust with print powder or charcoal powder as you can visually see your prints stuck to the glue.

I thought I heard the FBI clearly state there are 4 areas burial site 1 & 2 (B1, B2), Fire Pit (FP) and Pet Cemetery (PC).
When Prior asked about the ash it was in reference to the "Pet Cemetery", however this where I think he was attempting to confuse the court. Prior was trying to establish the PC was 10x20. The 10x10 PC identified by the FBI is adjacent to B2. Whether the location of Tylees body was in Priors definition of the Pet Cemetery should be irrelevant. When the FBA Agent answered this question about ash - he said it wasn't found in the PC (I assume as he defines it, the 10x10 area). So Prior didn't ask if there was ash found in burial site 2. Not sure what he was trying to do here.....just confuse?
The FBI agent identified 3 areas of interest. 1) Burial site #1, on the berm of the pond by the tree. 2) Burial site #2, which he also labeled as the "pet cemetery," an approximately 10x10 foot area somewhat close to the fire ring. These are interchangeable and the same location. 3) The fire pit.

Mr. Prior was desperately trying to get the FBI agent to identify burial site #2, the so-named "pet cemetery," as being the same "pet cemetery" that family members and others refer to. But they weren't exactly the same. The "pet cemetery" that family and others refer to likely does cover a broader area in the yard, perhaps 20x20 feet like Mr. Prior was suggesting, and may have had dogs, cats, ducks, other family pets, and even raccoons buried there from over the years that the Daybell's lived there. The FBI agent identified his own area of interest, evidence of a recent 'clandestine grave,' and subsequently named it the "pet cemetery" (perhaps because of its location relative to the family "pet cemetery?"). This FBI labeled "pet cemetery" was specifically a 10x10 area, which may have been partially or even completely within the bounds of the 20x20 family "pet cemetery," as evidenced by them uncovering a dog and cat buried there.

I believe the reason there was such a big exchange between Mr. Prior and the FBI agent over this is because apparently the FBI didn't excavate the entire 20x20 family "pet cemetery" area, and therefore Mr. Prior was trying to suggest or 'prove' that the FBI failed to search the entire family "pet cemetery" and subsequently may have missed a buried raccoon. However, the FBI agent was trained in finding and identifying "clandestine graves" (shallow graves to bury human remains, with the specific intent of concealing or hiding evidence of said graves from the casual observer) and therefore was able to specifically identify this certain 10x10 "pet cemetery" as a place of interest, which led to the discovery of Tylee's remains.

Mr. Prior seemed rather incensed (and perhaps a little confused?) that he couldn't get the FBI agent to claim the family "pet cemetery" as being one and the same as the FBI distinguished "pet cemetery." He really was hoping to score points for the FBI failing to dig up the entire 20x20 family "pet cemetery" when in truth it wasn't needed since they found what they were looking for in a small 10x10 plot. And it wasn't a raccoon.

All JMO.

Okay, so if the big pieces of evidence presented today to determine probable cause for Chad's involvement were:
  • CD's call to Melanie asking her to lie about JJ's whereabouts
  • The bodies being found on CD's property
  • CD's "raccoon text" to TD

What do they have similarly on LV?
  • She also asked Melanie to lie about JJ's whereabouts
  • ???

What else do they have that ties her directly to the bodies?

MOO It all goes to they didn't find the racoon as they didn't dig up all of what Chad might be referring to as the pet cemetery. That the pet cemetery was larger than what they said/measured to be the pet cemetery. Boy, that testimony was like pulling teeth as the guy on the stand didn't know the relevance to what he was asking. But, the judge did! lol

As to ash, I would have to listen to again to try to figure out your query/response.

MOO, they need to prep the witness better next time to avoid this from happening with a jury.
I didn't have a problem with that agent's response to Prior's accusation. When the agent referred to the "pet cemetery," he was using it as an initial reference point, nothing more. But I do agree with you that a jury might not have understood that, given Prior's push on it.

Okay, so if the big pieces of evidence presented today to determine probable cause for Chad's involvement were:
  • CD's call to Melanie asking her to lie about JJ's whereabouts
  • The bodies being found on CD's property
  • CD's "raccoon text" to TD

What do they have similarly on LV?
  • She also asked Melanie to lie about JJ's whereabouts
  • ???

What else do they have that ties her directly to the bodies?
You will get your answer next monday and tuesday

Boy, that testimony was like pulling teeth as the guy on the stand didn't know the relevance to what he was asking. But, the judge did! lol

As to ash, I would have to listen to again to try to figure out your query/response.

MOO, they need to prep the witness better next time to avoid this from happening with a jury.

I didn't see it as the witness not understanding what Prior was getting at--that FBI agent probably knows the case as well as Wood does. I saw it as a seasoned FBI agent, experienced in giving testimony at trial, refusing to be lead astray by a defense attorney and have his words twisted. To me it was like a master class in testifying. And to see Prior have his little tantrum at the end when he couldn't get the witness to say what he wanted him to say was just perfection.

Yeah, the rules are pretty lax there. Or, they wanted LVD to have as much access as possible to CD on the phone, as they could record everything said.

As for Tylee's phone, not to be macabre, but the only way you get a teen girl's phone is to pry it out of her cold, dead hand. Believe me.

a. They probably wanted to see if Tylee texted a friend(s) what was going down.

b. If Tylee's phone was found in Chad's house, maybe they did something to her there?

I thought it might be possible that they do not have Chad's cell phone data back from the FBI yet, since it took 2 months to get Tammy's back. They would not have confiscated Chad's phone until his arrest, right?
Possibly? But ping data can easily be acquired by subpoenaing Google or other cell carriers/providers, as they did with Alex' data. They don't need the actual phone to do that. As far as I understand.

The FBI agent identified 3 areas of interest. 1) Burial site #1, on the berm of the pond by the tree. 2) Burial site #2, which he also labeled as the "pet cemetery," an approximately 10x10 foot area somewhat close to the fire ring. These are interchangeable and the same location. 3) The fire pit.

Mr. Prior was desperately trying to get the FBI agent to identify burial site #2, the so-named "pet cemetery," as being the same "pet cemetery" that family members and others refer to. But they weren't exactly the same. The "pet cemetery" that family and others refer to likely does cover a broader area in the yard, perhaps 20x20 feet like Mr. Prior was suggesting, and may have had dogs, cats, ducks, other family pets, and even raccoons buried there from over the years that the Daybell's lived there. The FBI agent identified his own area of interest, evidence of a recent 'clandestine grave,' and subsequently named it the "pet cemetery" (perhaps because of its location relative to the family "pet cemetery?"). This FBI labeled "pet cemetery" was specifically a 10x10 area, which may have been partially or even completely within the bounds of the 20x20 family "pet cemetery," as evidenced by them uncovering a dog and cat buried there.

I believe the reason there was such a big exchange between Mr. Prior and the FBI agent over this is because apparently the FBI didn't excavate the entire 20x20 family "pet cemetery" area, and therefore Mr. Prior was trying to suggest or 'prove' that the FBI failed to search the entire family "pet cemetery" and subsequently may have missed a buried raccoon. However, the FBI agent was trained in finding and identifying "clandestine graves" (shallow graves to bury human remains, with the specific intent of concealing or hiding evidence of said graves from the casual observer) and therefore was able to specifically identify this certain 10x10 "pet cemetery" as a place of interest, which led to the discovery of Tylee's remains.

Mr. Prior seemed rather incensed (and perhaps a little confused?) that he couldn't get the FBI agent to claim the family "pet cemetery" as being one and the same as the FBI distinguished "pet cemetery." He really was hoping to score points for the FBI failing to dig up the entire 20x20 family "pet cemetery" when in truth it wasn't needed since they found what they were looking for in a small 10x10 plot. And it wasn't a raccoon.

All JMO.
Exactly. And it's interesting that the raccoon text had not even been introduced at that point.

They can ask, but is there anybody in Idaho who hasn’t heard of this case? I don’t think change venue would accomplish a jury of people who hadn’t heard of the case.
I believe Prior asked the Judge that it be placed “on record” that the venue change, if asked for, could also be out of State. And he said either the defense or the State could ask for that.

Exactly. And it's interesting that the raccoon text had not even been introduced at that point.

He knew it was coming. Preemptive strike as he probably saw it. The entire reason for a Prior to fixate on the cemetery size is to claim Chadbo could have killed a raccoon but they just didn’t find it. Very weak defense but he doesn’t have much to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member